Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 287422 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #1295 on: November 08, 2019, 04:33:37 PM »
Can't wait to be back in my bed tonight, this week flew by though and had some good nights out here in LA.  BUT, I really do miss being home and I'm sure my cat misses me as well.  Sadly, I was told I need to go back to Denver in December and I need to book it today  >:( At least its a month away so that's not too bad and I can end this streak of every other week being on the left side of the country.  Really was starting to mess with my sense of time.

Gonna be a Green Christmas?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1296 on: November 08, 2019, 04:56:28 PM »
When isn't it?

I just boarded and checked my pay statement  :o 40 hours of OT  :lol from my week in denver and last week. I'll be at 24 hours OT for this week. Next week should be busy at home too. That's the best part of all this work.

And the captain just said that was the fastest he ever saw a plane board, no one is in the middle seat next to me, and we got some tail wind to help get us there faster. Good afternoon today. Now just get me to my bed.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1297 on: November 08, 2019, 04:57:45 PM »
Flying out of LAX or Burbank?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: November 08, 2019, 04:58:24 PM »
LAX

I think the massive amounts of traffic to get here is what makes the TSA lines so short

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1299 on: November 08, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »
I was going to say... If you were flying out of Burbank, I'd be able to watch you take off.

Literally sitting on a hill overlooking Burbank Airport as I type.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1300 on: November 08, 2019, 08:29:13 PM »
Huh. I just met a celeb who lives in this complex I am stuck working at. Funny, the most famous person who lives here is the only person here so far to notice that I am new here, and stop to introduce himself.

I knew exactly who he was, and instead of saying "Hey you're SO AND SO!" or "Hey you did X!" ... I mentioned that I just listened to him on an episode of an obscure podcast I listen to.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: November 09, 2019, 06:48:23 AM »
First really cold day here today. It'll warm up a bit before I go to the Mac & Cheese beer fest later today.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: November 09, 2019, 06:52:05 AM »
Yeah it was freezing last night stepping out of the lovely LA weather and into the harsh nj cold.

I didn't get home until 230, asleep until 430 and now I'm awake at 830. Not exactly happy about my lack of sleep.

Big Penn state game at noon today then going to top golf for my brothers gfs birthday. Should be fun, she's been teasing me for a bit about trying to hook me up with one of her friends. We will see what happens but I'm kind of excited to potentially be in a good position to meet a girl, which I haven't even been trying to do thanks to so much work travel.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1303 on: November 09, 2019, 07:33:03 AM »
Snow on the ground the last couple of days - not totally covering it, but enough that it has stuck around.  If it gets sunny, it could/should melt most of it.  Windy as fuck though.  2C at the moment - wind chill is invariably MUCH colder than that.

Glad I don't have to go outside today.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: November 09, 2019, 10:48:41 AM »
It's almost 80° here at home, and supposed to be kissing 90° at work. Thank Petrucci for AC!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: November 10, 2019, 05:34:13 AM »
Current 30 degrees here, although my wife has the heat on blast

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: November 10, 2019, 06:16:14 AM »
'morning gang.  Hopefully it's a (mostly) lazy Sunday around here.  Gotta find the motivation to do a couple of household things - most important, change the oil in my lawn tractor (which I've never done before), and workout.  Been in a bit of a funk for a few days though, and I'm not feeling it.

DT show tomorrow night, and there's potentially a pretty big snow-storm coming in.  The venue is already a 2 hour drive away, so if we get the snow, who the fuck knows how long it might take.  First snowfall always turns drivers into morons.  Plus, I only have snow tires on one vehicle so far - couldn't get time scheduled for my truck until next week.   :\
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: November 10, 2019, 06:25:18 AM »
Morning Jingle. How much snow are they saying you can get?

I'm planning for a lazy sunday as well. I'm nursing a bit of a hangover from the mac&cheese beer fest

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: November 10, 2019, 07:07:22 AM »
Morning Jingle. How much snow are they saying you can get?

15cm potentially.  Since I live so close to Lake Erie, it's always a crap shoot - lake effect could make it more or less.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1309 on: November 10, 2019, 07:21:17 AM »
Hearing snow Monday night.  They can't say how much.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: November 10, 2019, 09:22:43 AM »
I'm curious how much snow we'll see this year in NC.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1311 on: November 10, 2019, 11:47:29 AM »
Morning/afternoon.

Also nursing a hang over from top golf last night, I have no idea how they did not kick out my brothers gf for being totally wasted but it was a fun time. I've got a full blown lazy day planned of gaming.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: November 10, 2019, 12:29:33 PM »
My lazy day has been anything but, and I still got a fairly cumbersome task ahead of me.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1313 on: November 10, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
change the oil on the tractor?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: November 10, 2019, 12:58:15 PM »
Got that done already - And took the whole mower assembly off to clean it. I don't think the previous owners didn't any winterization prep. Blades are in rough shape. Gonna have to replace those in the spring.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: November 10, 2019, 02:00:21 PM »
How much land do you have to mow?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: November 11, 2019, 12:26:23 AM »
Oof.

So I'm working overnight at an account in Marina Del Rey. Ritzy sprawling apartment complex on the water. Was supposed to be trained by a guy who used to be a supervisor at another account. Dude doesn't know jack shit. I'm already using this as ammo, telling my bosses that this is exactly why they need to get me off working as a fucking filler for bullshit call outs and let me learn properties properly and train people. Put it this way, if the account I was running ever got anywhere near this bad, I'd have been firing everyone.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: November 11, 2019, 05:28:19 AM »

The lot is just over an acre, so taking away the house, I'd say just under an acre.

And as for the winter, I've got a 12-car driveway.  Though, it's probably not much more than I had at my last place, because the last place was a corner lot, and I had sidewalks on both the front and side that had to be plowed first thing, as it was a path for young kids to their school bus pickup.  At the new place, no sidewalks, so I can plow whenever *I* need to get 'er done.

Which is gonna be a bitch over the next 24 hours.  Storm has been upgraded to 25cm or so.  Not sure when it's gonna start, but I got the DT show tonight, which is gonna put me driving right thru the worst of it.  It's a 2hr drive to the venue from my place in no traffic.  I honestly think it might take me 4 hours.  Then driving home at 11pm... then I have a 4:30am call for work.   :facepalm:

Gonna need a shit-ton of caffeine.   

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: November 11, 2019, 05:48:17 AM »
Morning guys

Oof.

So I'm working overnight at an account in Marina Del Rey. Ritzy sprawling apartment complex on the water. Was supposed to be trained by a guy who used to be a supervisor at another account. Dude doesn't know jack shit. I'm already using this as ammo, telling my bosses that this is exactly why they need to get me off working as a fucking filler for bullshit call outs and let me learn properties properly and train people. Put it this way, if the account I was running ever got anywhere near this bad, I'd have been firing everyone.

Are you going around to different properties now Jay?

The lot is just over an acre, so taking away the house, I'd say just under an acre.

And as for the winter, I've got a 12-car driveway.  Though, it's probably not much more than I had at my last place, because the last place was a corner lot, and I had sidewalks on both the front and side that had to be plowed first thing, as it was a path for young kids to their school bus pickup.  At the new place, no sidewalks, so I can plow whenever *I* need to get 'er done.

Which is gonna be a bitch over the next 24 hours.  Storm has been upgraded to 25cm or so.  Not sure when it's gonna start, but I got the DT show tonight, which is gonna put me driving right thru the worst of it.  It's a 2hr drive to the venue from my place in no traffic.  I honestly think it might take me 4 hours.  Then driving home at 11pm... then I have a 4:30am call for work.   :facepalm:

Gonna need a shit-ton of caffeine.   

Drive safe tonight Jingle. That's a long drive. I just drove home 2 hours from the Incubus show on Thursday and it wasn't as bad as I thought It'd be, but I'm seeing Tool in Raleigh in a couple of weeks and I grabbed a hotel and took the Monday off so I can drive home.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1319 on: November 11, 2019, 05:52:26 AM »
Yeah... given the weather situation, and my 4:30am call, I'm contemplating trying to find a hotel room.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: November 11, 2019, 05:53:42 AM »
Why the 4:30am call? Working with someone in Europe?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: November 11, 2019, 06:39:44 AM »
Yup. Supposed to be learning the different properties so I can make suggestions on changes / things that need to be addressed... But really they're using me as a glorified filler and I'm already over it. I was promised that I wasn't going to be stuck working weekends / nights yet here I am... Just got home and it's 530 in the damn morning.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1322 on: November 11, 2019, 06:55:51 AM »
Morning all. Great show in Ottawa last night. Set list is on set list.fm
Simple set. Great playing. Hadn’t seen the tilting keyboard or key-tar yet. That was cool.
James sounded good mostly. Neat graphics and stuff.

My fifth time seeing them. Probably my last. I suspect retirement is coming for one or all of them

**mods I would have posted this concerts and set lists but it’s a bit of a ghost town and I’m an elder so get a little slack**
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: November 11, 2019, 07:04:39 AM »
Morning all. Great show in Ottawa last night. Set list is on set list.fm
Simple set. Great playing. Hadn’t seen the tilting keyboard or key-tar yet. That was cool.
James sounded good mostly. Neat graphics and stuff.

My fifth time seeing them. Probably my last. I suspect retirement is coming for one or all of them

**mods I would have posted this concerts and set lists but it’s a bit of a ghost town and I’m an elder so get a little slack**

Hey there Kris!  I'm going tonight in Kitchener, though (per the last posts), not looking forward to the drive there and back (I moved to Fort Erie last spring).  I got a feeling this will be my last time seeing them too - simply because it's been a long time since their material has truly interested me.  If not for doing SFAM (which I missed back in the day), I'm 90% certain I'd be skipping this show.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1324 on: November 11, 2019, 07:49:04 AM »
Exactly my thoughts as well. The wife went too. She loved it. They play SFAM word for word. No deviations-no wild tangents. It was excellent. New material was good as well. And we got In the presence of enemies and A nightmare to remember.

I’d never seen Mangini play. What an odd style. But he certainly makes it work. He had a pedal issue a couple songs in and my shoulders were sore just watching him.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1325 on: November 11, 2019, 08:00:58 AM »
YBS!!  Hey hey!  Yeah though high toms never make sense to me.  My shoulders would be killing me. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: November 11, 2019, 08:02:54 AM »
YBS!!  Hey hey!  Yeah though high toms never make sense to me.  My shoulders would be killing me. 

Those were my thoughts as well, the guy has some serious shoulder strength

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1327 on: November 11, 2019, 11:59:15 AM »
Huh. I just met a celeb who lives in this complex I am stuck working at. Funny, the most famous person who lives here is the only person here so far to notice that I am new here, and stop to introduce himself.

I knew exactly who he was, and instead of saying "Hey you're SO AND SO!" or "Hey you did X!" ... I mentioned that I just listened to him on an episode of an obscure podcast I listen to.
That's pretty cool!  What was their response?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: November 11, 2019, 01:44:54 PM »

That's pretty cool!  What was their response?

"Right on brotha! That's badass!"

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: November 11, 2019, 01:45:53 PM »
so it's Hulk Hogan?