Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 284858 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #840 on: August 05, 2019, 09:34:49 AM »
This is why I hate people.

I feel ya Joe.

Took Friday off to go fishing with my GF and her Grandfather. We were going to go out to Catalina Island, but since it turned into only a party of 4, we decided to just stay within the breakwater and fish. So I was close enough to shore to get an excellent phone signal. I hate to turn it onto Do Not Disturb due to all the work emails and calls /  texts that were coming in. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #841 on: August 05, 2019, 10:06:23 AM »
Guy not paying attention to his surroundings and slipped on a piece of cardboard, fell and sprained his wrist.   He was bailing cardboard.  We stress to clean as you go,  Put your safety #1.  He did not.

I've been so distraught over this that it took away from the joy of the concert, and camping.

Ugh, that is a bummer. :( :(

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #842 on: August 06, 2019, 07:14:16 PM »
So I got an e-mail yesterday saying my degree was confirmed.

So if you'd all please call me Dr. Adami or Dr. Feelgood, or even Dr. Shutthehellupandstopbeingsopretentiousyoutwat, that would be great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #843 on: August 06, 2019, 07:17:43 PM »
That's fantastic Doc!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #844 on: August 06, 2019, 08:11:18 PM »
I can now say I had a lunch with a Doctor.   Congrats Adami.  Hard work always pays off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #845 on: August 07, 2019, 05:43:43 AM »
I can now say I had a lunch with a Doctor.   Congrats Adami.  Hard work always pays off.

Fockin eh!  Two Doctors at DTF now.

For any mods moderating this thread ... I think another name change is in order.  If there's no change, we know we can run rampant in this thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: August 07, 2019, 06:16:52 AM »
Congrats Dr. Feelgood!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: August 07, 2019, 06:41:00 AM »
Congratulations Adami!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: August 07, 2019, 06:44:03 AM »
So I got an e-mail yesterday saying my degree was confirmed.

What a fantastic achievement! Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:14:32 AM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: August 07, 2019, 09:46:55 AM »
I make a motion to have Adami's screen name changed to DrAdami.

All in favor?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #850 on: August 07, 2019, 10:01:21 AM »
Nay.  He's a quack.   

(I'm kidding; I'm proud of him and impressed.  AYE.)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #851 on: August 07, 2019, 10:03:36 AM »
Congrats Adami! post-doc or "real work" next?

I can think of at least one more off the top of my head?  Unless we decided to revoke DTVT's?  :biggrin:

EDIT: On further consideration, I know of four PhDs, a PharmD, and several JDs....
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #852 on: August 07, 2019, 10:13:43 AM »
I've slept with DTVT so..........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: August 07, 2019, 10:20:15 AM »
 :lol

Just had our end of 1 half of the year tech meeting.  Was mostly the normal run down of the business and whats going on, but the end caught my attention.  Went off about changes to come and how essentially by end of the year, all that was of our former company and our policies/organizations will be gone.  This fall, re-orgs will happen and then everyone gets a new compensation plan and we migrate everything over to our overlords systems and ways of doing things from an HR perspective.  I don't expect any impact for me, they said no one will be getting paid less or getting fired, its more about benefits it seems, but it does just feel like all the "vibe" from the old company is officially gone.  People in one work chat for video gaming were talking about how they expect a lot of people to be gone in 6 months because this is becoming too corporate.  I wouldn't voice any negative opinions in our chat rooms personally, like they said, its getting corporate and they could be monitoring it, but it kind of feels legit after that meeting.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #854 on: August 07, 2019, 10:56:55 AM »
I've slept with DTVT so..........

And that makes you unique...how?  :lol

Just had our end of 1 half of the year tech meeting.  Was mostly the normal run down of the business and whats going on, but the end caught my attention.  Went off about changes to come and how essentially by end of the year, all that was of our former company and our policies/organizations will be gone.  This fall, re-orgs will happen and then everyone gets a new compensation plan and we migrate everything over to our overlords systems and ways of doing things from an HR perspective.  I don't expect any impact for me, they said no one will be getting paid less or getting fired, its more about benefits it seems, but it does just feel like all the "vibe" from the old company is officially gone.  People in one work chat for video gaming were talking about how they expect a lot of people to be gone in 6 months because this is becoming too corporate.  I wouldn't voice any negative opinions in our chat rooms personally, like they said, its getting corporate and they could be monitoring it, but it kind of feels legit after that meeting.

Culture shifts happen from this stuff, I've been through a couple of those with my current job.  I'd advise to just keep an open mind, there can be cool things/opportunities to come out of changes like this...even if they are just experiences that may guide you in the future.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: August 07, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »
Yea, we will see what happens.  I'm just going with the flow, I'm not entirely sure I'll have any new opportunities but it would be refreshing if things change up and something does blossom from it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: August 07, 2019, 06:49:29 PM »
Looks like tomorrow night on MTV is finally the Situations wedding episode that I went to last November. Hoping to make my mtv debut.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #857 on: August 07, 2019, 07:19:41 PM »
Looks like tomorrow night on MTV is finally the Situations wedding episode that I went to last November. Hoping to make my mtv debut.

Cramx3 Style Viewing Party video coming??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #858 on: August 07, 2019, 07:31:18 PM »

I can think of at least one more off the top of my head?  Unless we decided to revoke DTVT's?  :biggrin:

EDIT: On further consideration, I know of four PhDs, a PharmD, and several JDs....

1. Formal postdoc. Putting off real work another year.  ;D

2. We all know JDs don’t count.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: August 07, 2019, 08:15:03 PM »

Cramx3 Style Viewing Party video coming??

:lol dont think so but if I am in the video I'm sure I'll find a way to capture it and tweet out something from it or get a picture at least. My brother was briefly in a commercial and my mom was in Life magazine back when they printed it last year so it's very possible I'm in in someway.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #860 on: August 07, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »
It'll probably be a little shocking to see yourself - since you were twice the man you are now. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: August 08, 2019, 07:34:05 AM »

1. Formal postdoc. Putting off real work another year.  ;D

2. We all know JDs don’t count.

I disagree with Adami.  :) ;)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: August 09, 2019, 09:12:07 AM »
New policy today from our work overlords:

Alcohol may not be stored on your desk or in any visible workspace.  If you have alcohol at the office, please secure it in a file cabinet or other drawer under your desk.  You may also store it the refrigerators located in common spaces.

:rollin it's funny, it also states how this is different than other offices under our work overlords which is great because while being more restrictive it seems they are giving us somewhat of a green light here.  If you went into our office you would see most desks have a bottle or many bottles of booze on them, so I guess they just need to hide the booze but you are still allowed to consume in the office after business hours.  That shows our culture here.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: August 09, 2019, 10:12:21 AM »

Alcohol may not be stored on your desk or in any visible workspace.  If you have alcohol at the office, please secure it in a file cabinet or other drawer under your desk.  You may also store it the refrigerators located in common spaces.

:rollin it's funny, it also states how this is different than other offices under our work overlords which is great because while being more restrictive it seems they are giving us somewhat of a green light here.  If you went into our office you would see most desks have a bottle or many bottles of booze on them, so I guess they just need to hide the booze but you are still allowed to consume in the office after business hours.  That shows our culture here.

Dude, that's sort of badass.  I've always wanted to have a desk where I slide out the lower drawer and pull a bottle and two glasses out, like in Mad Men, or every Lieutenant ever on Law And Order.   But most of the offices I've worked in were alcohol free zones, and that image doesn't really work in a field trailer on a construction site.

It doesn't help that in-house Counsel are often viewed (wrongly, IMO) as "corporate cops", so I wouldn't take that chance, but still.   I'd like to.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #864 on: August 09, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »

Dude, that's sort of badass.  I've always wanted to have a desk where I slide out the lower drawer and pull a bottle and two glasses out, like in Mad Men, or every Lieutenant ever on Law And Order.   But most of the offices I've worked in were alcohol free zones, and that image doesn't really work in a field trailer on a construction site.

It doesn't help that in-house Counsel are often viewed (wrongly, IMO) as "corporate cops", so I wouldn't take that chance, but still.   I'd like to.

Back when I had an office (in a high rise with mahogany furniture and a great view!) I used to keep a bottle of Jameson and a couple of glasses in on of my cabinets.  I never actually knew what our policy was, and that was rather deliberate.  Alas, now that we've gone open-office, it doesn't work so well anymore. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: August 09, 2019, 11:46:40 AM »
We have an open office and the booze was out everywhere.  My boss (he admits to being an alcoholic) would keep all his empty whiskey bottles called the graveyard along his area of the bench.  Had like 20 of them at one point before management made him discard them.  Now his drawer is filled, if I do go into the office, come 5pm, he would gladly open the drawer and share.  I'm not much of a whiskey drinker and feel super awkward drinking at work in the open office so I usually decline.

I don't care too much about it regardless as I don't work in the office, I do have a small bottle of vodka at my desk (sealed, more for display to have something in common with the office) but I mostly just like how they didn't just apply their global rules to our offices and to me that's pretty awesome.  Shows they respect our culture here (which was supposed to be apart of the deal for buying our company according to the founder who sold it).  I see quite a lot of people complaining in our chat rooms about it, but seriously?  This is pretty cool you are allowed to store booze at your desk and if you want, bring your laptop to the cafe area and have a drink and work there.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: August 09, 2019, 12:02:45 PM »
That's not a small concession; that (can be) a pretty big HR/EHS (environmental, health and safety) issue, so for them to concede that is, in my view a pretty loud statement.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: August 09, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »
My boss (jokingly) tells me I should keep a flask under my desk.

The only time I've ever drank at "work" was when my boss and I, as well one other (who lives on the property I work), went to a Mexican place next to the property and had beers. I was paid overtime to drink and bullshit with my boss. It was pretty awesome.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: August 09, 2019, 12:43:23 PM »
Our summer field day is coming up.  Typically they would rent out liberty state park in Jersey City, have an open bar and food and play lawn games.  Get sloppy on company dime.  They moved it to the Central Park zoo with no booze this year.  I dont think many people are going.  I'm definitely not (more so because its out of my way to go, and if I dont go I'm allowed to take a half day which sounds much better).  So I guess if I instead went home and boozed, I would be boozing on the company clock.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: August 09, 2019, 02:46:16 PM »
Wow, people are seriously upset about this.

One work chat room has been non stop bashing the company all day.  Here is one quote just now "Alright my friends, I will go play games now and drink my sadness away as the culture of the company I once loved is dead"  :lol people are so ridiculous.  I think many in this company have not experienced other jobs.  Before coming here, I worked at banks and it was such a shit culture compared to this.  Some people just don't know how good they have it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: August 09, 2019, 03:18:12 PM »
This is because the lack of booze at a company function?

Some people just don't know how good they have it.

^^^

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: August 09, 2019, 03:27:52 PM »
Yes.  It's really shocking.  There's a channel for gamers, so kind of like the gamer thread here, but its a chat room for everyone at work who wants to talk about video games.  135 people, little more than 1/10 of the company.  Non stop talk bashing the company today.  I'm shocked people would this openly talk about it.  A few people were even like "maybe you should take this discussion onto discord or some other non work chat room"  A lot of sour people about the changes the company is undergoing from being a start up to being corporate.  This is not one of the reasons to be sour. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #872 on: August 10, 2019, 05:56:19 AM »
I AM RISEN UP . . . because the baby has kept me up since 5 EST. #lolme
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: August 10, 2019, 06:40:01 AM »
Baby? You had a baby?

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #874 on: August 10, 2019, 07:19:17 AM »
Yes.  It's really shocking.  There's a channel for gamers, so kind of like the gamer thread here, but its a chat room for everyone at work who wants to talk about video games.  135 people, little more than 1/10 of the company.  Non stop talk bashing the company today.  I'm shocked people would this openly talk about it.  A few people were even like "maybe you should take this discussion onto discord or some other non work chat room"  A lot of sour people about the changes the company is undergoing from being a start up to being corporate.  This is not one of the reasons to be sour.

My reaction is...what a bunch of goddamn babies (no offense to Super Dude's baby, who I assume shows more maturity that cram's colleagues). When my company got a new CEO a few years ago, our big blowout holiday party (black tie, country club, open bar, masterfully catered, the thing everyone looked forward to all year), got cancelled three weeks out, and replaced with one hour on a Wednesday afternoon in the cafeteria with store-bought Christmas cookies. Then layoffs were announced, then we got bought...and of course our field day disappeared in that too. Within 18 months, only about 5% of us from that site were still with the company.  That your acquiring company is just saying "hey, it's cool if you drink, we just can't formally condone/sponsor it" (probably for liability reasons, as Stadler said) is an amazing preservation of the old culture.  Maybe some people are having this reactions as way of expressing their fear about what the future holds,...but christ, have some self-awareness and perspective.