Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 284954 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #455 on: May 27, 2019, 03:09:04 PM »
Just ask Chad. :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: May 27, 2019, 06:44:58 PM »
Vacation was great but there is nothing like coming home to your house.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #457 on: May 27, 2019, 11:31:15 PM »
There was a Canadian guy in my old World of Warcraft guild... Who wouldn't stop talking about Tim Hortons. I've never had Tim Hortons. This guy was an asshole. I now equate Tim Hortons with assholes :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: May 28, 2019, 04:53:42 AM »
Alright, controversial opinion: After being hyped up by Tim's by all my Canadian friends, it's not that great. I've had it many, many times in Toronto and on the way to Haliburton and it's always been ok to good

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: May 28, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »
I went to the one by me that closed a few times. It was always just OK, the donuts were great but everytime I got a sandwich it was just average and the service was slow. Compared to Dunkin, which isnt any better in terms of quality but you get super fast good service at least.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: May 28, 2019, 09:28:56 AM »
Oh yea..

I've also never had Dunkin as well...

#CaliforniaLife
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: May 29, 2019, 12:43:24 AM »
First big change for me personally was just told to me today at work since we were bought out and it sucks.... no more unlimited OT.  My boss needs to pre-approve it, which sucks because it was nice to just be able to come in and work as needed and there's way too much work to do in 40 hours per week so there was no real excuse neeeded as to why I worked 50+ hours most weeks.  Sucks because I was relying on that OT to help cover my own costs for my house now that my brother moved out and I am missing out on rent from him.  Of course I told my boss I rely on my OT and he's working on it.  For now though, he's saying no more than 9 hours per day (he's letting us bend but not totally break the rule for now).  He thinks this rule is coming from people in our overlords who don't understand what we do and just applying a code for other people in a different part of the company onto us (well this is what he said after his conversation with his manager).  Oh well, this is all said as I am on hour 16 and counting today because of a network failure in our routing engine on a core switch, not a huge amount of work for me personally but I can't just walk away from it so lots of waiting and here and there something I need to do.  Funny how the day they tell me not to work OT anymore is a day when the company needs it the most.  Going from a start up to corporate is really starting to show now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #462 on: May 29, 2019, 05:53:05 AM »
Funny how the day they tell me not to work OT anymore is a day when the company needs it the most.   

Ironic, dontcha think?

Well, now you're up on hours. Maybe you can leverage that to get an extra day off later this week.

I'm sure it's worse for your manager. He has to sift through the mixed messages, keep you motivated while likely reducing your hours, and now hit production expectations to those above.  I always tried to be as honest as possible with my associates. It sounds like he's trying to do that with you. letting you work 9 hours is really him testing what he can get away with for you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: May 29, 2019, 08:51:13 AM »
Funny how the day they tell me not to work OT anymore is a day when the company needs it the most.   

Ironic, dontcha think?

Well, now you're up on hours. Maybe you can leverage that to get an extra day off later this week.

I'm sure it's worse for your manager. He has to sift through the mixed messages, keep you motivated while likely reducing your hours, and now hit production expectations to those above.  I always tried to be as honest as possible with my associates. It sounds like he's trying to do that with you. letting you work 9 hours is really him testing what he can get away with for you.

I don't want/need extra days off, that would ruin the OT since in NJ I need to work over 40 hours in the week to start getting OT.  I don't know all the states laws, but in Cali you get OT working over 8 hours in a day which is much better for the worker.  So having Monday off, I probably will only get just a few hours OT this week by only working 4 days.

And I agree about my manager.  I often have some mixed feelings on the way he runs things, but I know for a fact he is getting his ass handed to him as well in ways I couldn't imagine.  He's mentioned some hints about management killing him.  So I get it even if I don't understand.  And I know he has my back and there's only so much he can do.  Luckily with the slight re-org, he reports to another manager who is really cool and a solid guy, I think these people understand our worth and what we do here, it's the high ups in our overlord company that have no clue and only look at numbers.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #464 on: May 29, 2019, 08:56:08 AM »
It's amazing that it's the people on the ground, doing the real work, like yourself, that get the least respect in a company.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: May 29, 2019, 09:04:54 AM »
It's amazing that it's the people on the ground, doing the real work, like yourself, that get the least respect in a company.

Yea, well definitely in my field we are kind of looked down upon in IT.  I think here, in this company (not our overlords who bought us) they respected us more than any job I had seen before.  The head of technical operations had a lot of respect for the data center team.  There's only 5 of us, including my manager who works in the office, and yet we manage 6 data centers all around the world.  It's a bit ridiculous task for us, but I don't think the new boss's get it, yet.  Hopefully they will soon.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #466 on: May 30, 2019, 08:13:18 AM »
I'm thinking I might be returning to the chat thread more when things are slower at work...mayhaps.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: May 30, 2019, 10:23:41 AM »
Methinks thou should.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #468 on: May 30, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »
Of course I say that and then have a busy-as-hell day.

Goddamn it's been a long time since I posted here.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: May 30, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »
Welcome back!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #470 on: May 30, 2019, 01:21:21 PM »
Thenk yew...

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #471 on: May 30, 2019, 01:33:18 PM »
And I bring the weather; tornado warning at my office, with a "tornadic spiral storm" on a path to cross where I work in 10 minutes."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: May 30, 2019, 01:55:10 PM »
Yikes.  I'm glad we don't get much up here in NH.  Be safe.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #473 on: May 30, 2019, 01:56:36 PM »
Looks like the warning has expired and the storm is moving off. Tornadoes aren't super common around here but they happen occasionally. We've three consecutive days of severe thunderstorms, though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: May 30, 2019, 02:25:08 PM »
We can barely crack 70 degrees here.

Chad, that's 21.1111 Celcius for those not bold enough to stand alone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: May 30, 2019, 02:37:14 PM »
The thunderstorms around here have been intense lately, no tornado warnings for me but the warnings weren't far away and that's really rare for NJ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #476 on: May 30, 2019, 02:46:37 PM »
We're starting to see them more and more frequently up here in CT as well.  I can remember moving to Atlanta when I was 30 and experiencing a tornado warning in the ATL and it was the first one of my life.   Last fall, we had a storm where four tornadoes touched down in various parts of the state within the span of an hour or so.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #477 on: May 30, 2019, 02:56:12 PM »
I blame China.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: May 30, 2019, 03:32:33 PM »
I blame China.

This quote "Made by China."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #479 on: May 30, 2019, 09:09:10 PM »
Good evening all. Good to see you around again Hyperplex.

Yeah, some brief burts of crazy storm action the last few nights. And always right during the evening commute :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: May 31, 2019, 06:15:03 AM »
And always right during the evening commute :lol

Seriously, making my drive homes miserable.  Today looks like a nice one though

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #481 on: May 31, 2019, 07:41:44 AM »
Today does look nicer. The storms passed before I hit the road yesterday evening, but the aftermath traffic overflow was insane. On my route home alone there were two separate road closures due to downed tree limbs, so volume was choked even more. Took nearly twice as long to get home as usual.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #482 on: May 31, 2019, 08:49:37 AM »
Yeah, looks like we're in for a nice couple days of weather here. Busy weekend ahead, the IFC Center hosts a TV centric film festival every year and it's this weekend. Tonight I'm going first to a talk with Pamela Adlon (probably best known as the voice of Bobby on King of the Hill) about her show Better Things, and then to a premiere screening for the Deadwood movie with a post movie discussion with Ian McShane (via Skype) and the actress who plays Calamity Jane (in person). Tomorrow I'm going to the Yankees Red Sox game with my sister and her friend, and since it's a night game we'll be pre-gaming all day in the city. Part of me is bummed though that I'll be missing the festival event Saturday night, a look at the history of the paranoid thriller genre with Sam Esmail (Mr. Robot) that ends with a screening of Eyes Wide Shut. Then Sunday back in the city for an afternoon event where they'll be screening the last season finale and then having a discussion with one of the actors about his approach to a show where the status quo in terms of a character's memories and growth is so frequently upended.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: May 31, 2019, 09:29:54 AM »
Good Morning Krusty Krew.

I am so glad it is Friday...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #484 on: May 31, 2019, 10:28:28 AM »
Today has been, up to this point, one of my klutzy days, where the simplest of tasks turns into a monumental fuckup...I think it might be settling down, though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #485 on: May 31, 2019, 11:50:55 AM »
So far, so good for today.  My brother is coming in this afternoon for a weekend visit, I get off work in about 30 minutes, the weekend will be filled with cigars, beer, swimming, food, and cards.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #486 on: May 31, 2019, 11:58:17 AM »
I'm not even sure what my weekend will be filled with. Next weekend will be the completion of my tattoo but until then I am hoping to just lay low.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: May 31, 2019, 12:09:15 PM »
Sounds nice Hef

Work is kicking my ass today, surprisingly very busy for a friday and I'm solo so that means more on my plate.  I don't have much of any plans this weekend which is nice.  There's a couple local concerts that I could go to, but neither are must sees so if I'm bored and it's nice out then maybe (both are outside).

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #488 on: May 31, 2019, 12:51:41 PM »
Back from lunch with a belly full of tacos. If only I could get a nice nap in at my desk right now life would be perfect.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #489 on: May 31, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
I've been craving a good fish taco for a while now.  Hard to find around me.