Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 289598 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #4795 on: June 16, 2023, 04:25:16 PM »
Honestly, I would never judge a grieving parent no matter what they say. It's possible to disagree with them, but I'd probably let it go.

Now like you say, fuck the producer for trying to make things seem spicy. (I didn't watch, nor do I know of what you're referring to.)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4796 on: June 17, 2023, 09:01:29 AM »
So that was 20/20.  The same week, Dateline did the same story (yes, I'm behind on my DVR-watching!).  Two hour show, and for the first hour and 45 minutes or so... it was clearly the 20/20 producers creating drama.   They had multiple interviews with these parents, and while it was still... very focused on their kid, I can understand that.   They're not there to talk about the other three kids.  Very different in tone and content.  Notably, none of the other kids' parents contributed to the Dateline story (which, otherwise, was the better recitation of the facts, even if Keith Morrison was doing his darnedest to create suspense on a story that didn't lend itself to that approach).

Until... the last fifteen minutes, and then it started.  According to them, THEIR daughter was brave enough to have forcibly removed the knife sheath so that it would be found on the bed (it was a key piece of evidence).  There was the chest-puffing; the father made it clear he marched into the police department and demanded answers.  At one point he said something like "I told them I was honest, I was trustworthy and I wouldn't lie."  Which, of course WAS a lie, because they blabbed potentially, likely, false information during the investigation against the express wished of the police.   They even had an expert with the FBI lauding the police for their discretion and discipline in handling the case.  At one point, Morrison asked the expert if the criticism from the parents and community was a problem, and he said, it can compromise the investigation, but on a personal level, the police couldn't care less.  They are there to solve the murders, full stop.

I don't know; I've experienced grief, and I can tell you first hand that it's not something you can forecast or plan for, and it arises in very different ways for different people.   But there is still a modicum of diplomacy that we can and should expect of all people regardless of where they are on the continuum.  "Grieving" doesn't give you a completely free pass.   I'm not really birching about their unreasonable estimation of their daughter, as much as I am their inconsiderateness in terms of the necessity to solve that crime for ALL people not just them.  I had told my wife about the 20/20 show (she didn't watch it) but she watched the last hour of this show and even she said "what's up with these people?". 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4797 on: June 17, 2023, 02:52:14 PM »
That's fine. We're good. I didn't watch the piece nor am I familiar with the situation. Nor am I familiar with catching up on shows with my DVR. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4798 on: June 19, 2023, 08:45:50 AM »
I'm not really birching about their unreasonable estimation of their daughter, as much as I am their inconsiderateness in terms of the necessity to solve that crime for ALL people not just them.   
Well, what are you birching about?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4799 on: June 19, 2023, 11:35:36 AM »
I'm not really birching about their unreasonable estimation of their daughter, as much as I am their inconsiderateness in terms of the necessity to solve that crime for ALL people not just them.   

Son of a birch always has something!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4800 on: June 19, 2023, 11:43:40 AM »

Be careful Hef.  Have you read the definition of birching?  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4801 on: June 19, 2023, 11:47:26 AM »
Don't knock it until you birch it, I always say.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4802 on: June 19, 2023, 10:04:37 PM »
I've got the urge to birch.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4803 on: June 20, 2023, 08:35:07 AM »
I do miss seeing concerts at Birch Hill and it's been awhile since I had a birch beer.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #4804 on: June 20, 2023, 08:49:38 AM »
My neighbor is cutting down some trees on his property. There’s one tree that’s right on the property line between our houses, and he asked if I cared if he cut it down. I told him I don’t care. It ain’t my birch.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4805 on: June 20, 2023, 11:11:31 AM »
Birch please. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4806 on: June 20, 2023, 01:42:34 PM »
you guys are just a bunch of birchmen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQo9bwQ2rQc
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4807 on: June 22, 2023, 09:51:06 AM »
We passed our Audit.  Phew!

Now birches, it's time to party!

I'm got my zero sugar drink with me.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4808 on: June 22, 2023, 10:09:23 AM »
 :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4809 on: June 22, 2023, 12:23:31 PM »
You know you’ve been on DTF too much when it starts to creep into your dreams.
Last night I dreamt we had a community yard sale in my yard. Joe bought a dehumidifier from me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4810 on: June 22, 2023, 12:27:45 PM »
 :rollin

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4811 on: June 22, 2023, 12:29:35 PM »
haha wow :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4812 on: June 22, 2023, 12:36:16 PM »
I have one in my basement. Lol. I dropped it down the stairs one time. Funny story.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4813 on: June 22, 2023, 01:06:37 PM »
Last night I dreamt we had a community yard sale in my yard. Joe bought a dehumidifier from me.
Same

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4814 on: June 22, 2023, 01:22:54 PM »
I have one in my basement. Lol. I dropped it down the stairs one time. Funny story.

Sorry. No returns, no refunds.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4815 on: June 22, 2023, 01:24:32 PM »
Haven't seen any chat about it, but sad news about that OceanGate sub. I'm a Titanic buff and belong to a number of online communities that revolve around her and her sisters. It's been a wild few days across all of those communities, and the amount of vitriol, trolling, and filth that came from outsiders was pretty disheartening. We've been discussing that company since their fundraising days, and the CEO even got on r/RMS_Titanic a few years back and did an AMA to try and set the record straight on a bunch of stuff.

It looks like an implosion has been confirmed, with the sub's landing gear and tail section identifiable a just few hundred feet in front of Titanic's bow. I hope the thing imploded before anyone was aware that something was amiss. The thought of having to be trapped in that thing for any period of time seems like the worst time in the world. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 01:36:56 PM by Chino »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4816 on: June 22, 2023, 01:29:57 PM »
I’ve been following that. And I’ve seen a lot of mean spirited memes about it. I know it’s fun to laugh at the stupidity of rich people, but man I wouldn’t wish that fate on anyone.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4817 on: June 22, 2023, 01:35:24 PM »
Very sad story, indeed.  Like Chino said, I hope it was sudden and instantaneous so it was over before they ever knew anything was happening. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4818 on: June 22, 2023, 01:43:23 PM »
I’ve been following that. And I’ve seen a lot of mean spirited memes about it. I know it’s fun to laugh at the stupidity of rich people, but man I wouldn’t wish that fate on anyone.

My tiktok has been filled with memes joking about it and I can't lie, a lot of them have been hilarious.  Yes, it's terrible.  I guess most people, myself included, have a hard time taking it seriously given the signing of death waivers, 250k price, the history of sketchiness, the playstation controller and the kid going to the blink 182 concert.  It's all just so much to not stand back and have a bit of a laugh.  But that's just me I guess, and well, everyone I've talked to in person about it.  It's certainly sad and unfortunate.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4819 on: June 22, 2023, 06:12:09 PM »
The absurdity of all the details fully detaches a lot of people, especially since they were rich people. It makes it really easy for people to sink to a low level.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4820 on: June 22, 2023, 06:52:27 PM »
I hope they got a look at the Titanic before they imploded.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4821 on: June 22, 2023, 07:53:00 PM »
They recovered pieces of the submarine, it did indeed implode.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4822 on: June 22, 2023, 07:54:49 PM »
Seems the Navy was basically aware of the implosion on Sunday.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4823 on: June 22, 2023, 08:11:55 PM »
I may have missed something, why do you say that?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4825 on: June 22, 2023, 08:20:14 PM »
It imploded shortly after losing contact.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4826 on: June 22, 2023, 08:27:30 PM »
The whole situation is sad, but the way they were operating and cutting corners on some things, it seemed inevitable that an accident would happen.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 06:14:06 AM by Vmadera00 »

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4827 on: June 22, 2023, 09:38:02 PM »
And in case anyone missed it

The pilot of the submersible that has gone missing on a quest to take tourists to see the Titanic at the bottom of the ocean has a personal connection to two victims of the doomed shipwreck. Records show that OceanGate CEO and pilot Stockton Rush's wife, Wendy Rush, is a descendant of a famous elderly couple who died during the 1912 incident.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missing-submarine-pilot-stockton-rush-linked-titanic-couple-who-died/
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4828 on: June 23, 2023, 06:19:33 AM »
James Cameron has been on a couple interviews since yesterday, and one thing he has mentioned is the irony (and similarities) between the Titanic tragedy and this one, in the sense that safety warning were ignored.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4829 on: June 23, 2023, 01:34:21 PM »
We passed our Audit.  Phew!

Now birches, it's time to party!

I'm got my zero sugar drink with me.  :lol

:tup