Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 289616 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #4760 on: June 08, 2023, 08:09:12 AM »
Getting a lawyer to protect dad's money. We can't sell the house until it fully goes through probate.

So much red tape even though the will has my brother and I as the primary recipients.  And such a long process.

Protect it from whom?

When my grandparents died, one of my aunts was all ready to fight it in court to get more than everyone else. Luckily my grandparents saw that coming and put in a clause that said that if anyone contested the will, they'd be written out.

Well, Florida, we needed a lawyer because that's the law, but "protect" is just as likely from creditors.  We got claims in on the estate from all over, ranging from $500 to $22,000, and various points in between. I THOUGHT my dad planned rather well, and in hindsight, he did a B, B+.  There's always something to learn, though.  :)

I'd say that makes sense but I can't follow much of it. No legal mind here. But I do remember learning about the estate tax when my grandparents died. Turns out they don't care of the money is cash or in property. We lost a LOT because the government saw that my grandparents owned millions in properties, thus owed them half. So we had to sell everything (except our house) to pay off the taxes, most of it for not nearly what the worth was supposed to be according to the gov.

For all the criticism that Florida takes, they DO look after their own.  There is a provision in the Florida Constitution called the "Homestead Exemption" that CONSTITUTIONALLY keeps that property you live in free from creditors, full stop.  It doesn't apply to ALL property, but it prevents creditors from demanding the sale of the primary residence in order to cover outstanding claims.   But you need a lawyer to affect that protection under law from the courts.

Does that apply to something like the estate tax or just independent creditors? Cause, for my grandparents, there were no independent creditors, just the estate tax.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4761 on: June 08, 2023, 08:27:08 AM »
Getting a lawyer to protect dad's money. We can't sell the house until it fully goes through probate.

So much red tape even though the will has my brother and I as the primary recipients.  And such a long process.

Protect it from whom?

When my grandparents died, one of my aunts was all ready to fight it in court to get more than everyone else. Luckily my grandparents saw that coming and put in a clause that said that if anyone contested the will, they'd be written out.

Well, Florida, we needed a lawyer because that's the law, but "protect" is just as likely from creditors.  We got claims in on the estate from all over, ranging from $500 to $22,000, and various points in between. I THOUGHT my dad planned rather well, and in hindsight, he did a B, B+.  There's always something to learn, though.  :)

I'd say that makes sense but I can't follow much of it. No legal mind here. But I do remember learning about the estate tax when my grandparents died. Turns out they don't care of the money is cash or in property. We lost a LOT because the government saw that my grandparents owned millions in properties, thus owed them half. So we had to sell everything (except our house) to pay off the taxes, most of it for not nearly what the worth was supposed to be according to the gov.

For all the criticism that Florida takes, they DO look after their own.  There is a provision in the Florida Constitution called the "Homestead Exemption" that CONSTITUTIONALLY keeps that property you live in free from creditors, full stop.  It doesn't apply to ALL property, but it prevents creditors from demanding the sale of the primary residence in order to cover outstanding claims.   But you need a lawyer to affect that protection under law from the courts.

Does that apply to something like the estate tax or just independent creditors? Cause, for my grandparents, there were no independent creditors, just the estate tax.

Estate tax too.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4762 on: June 08, 2023, 08:37:42 AM »
Woah. Ah well, even though I partially grew up in Florida, all of this happened in St. Louis.

Damn.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4763 on: June 08, 2023, 08:50:28 AM »
But let's not lose the message moving forward:  estate planning is not for the faint of heart.   I know with my dad, I early on said "put me down, I'll handle it", and I will.  But I'm seriously thinking of who I can use that is NOT my wife or daughter, simply to spare them the ordeal.   I have an attorney friend I may ask.

I am also being maniacal in terms of making sure beneficiary forms are in place and up to date, and I am seriously considering a trust for my assets to facilitate non-probate transfer (Adami, that might have helped your family). I'm not really "wealthy" enough to traditionally consider a trust, but in terms of administration, or lack thereof, it's a valuable tool.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4764 on: June 08, 2023, 08:51:30 AM »
But let's not lose the message moving forward:  estate planning is not for the faint of heart.   I know with my dad, I early on said "put me down, I'll handle it", and I will.  But I'm seriously thinking of who I can use that is NOT my wife or daughter, simply to spare them the ordeal.   I have an attorney friend I may ask.

I am also being maniacal in terms of making sure beneficiary forms are in place and up to date, and I am seriously considering a trust for my assets to facilitate non-probate transfer (Adami, that might have helped your family). I'm not really "wealthy" enough to traditionally consider a trust, but in terms of administration, or lack thereof, it's a valuable tool.

Easy solution, leave everything to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4765 on: June 08, 2023, 09:21:51 AM »
Yeah, Like Stads, we knew we needed help.  It's so many little loopholes that I don't have the time or energy to follow through so We'll pay for the help. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #4766 on: June 10, 2023, 01:18:38 PM »
When the time comes, I am *not* looking forward to dealing with this stuff.  My relationship with my parents is somewhere between strained and estranged, and I have a feeling everything will be a mess both from a logistics and drama standpoint. Like, I would be probably be willing to forego my share of anything just to not have to deal with any of it.
--

Having a bit of a do-over of Mother's Day here, as much body was trying to violently turn itself inside-out on the actual Mother's Day.  And of course Ivy comes down with a stomach bug this morning, and J may be getting it was well [/facepalm]...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4767 on: June 12, 2023, 06:05:59 AM »
So....I see some just couldn't wait to speak ill of the dead when that was Pat Robertson (for whom I had zero liking) last week, but Ted Kaczynski dies days later and not a peep.  What a great look. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #4768 on: June 12, 2023, 06:28:53 AM »
So....I see some just couldn't wait to speak ill of the dead when that was Pat Robertson (for whom I had zero liking) last week, but Ted Kaczynski dies days later and not a peep.  What a great look.

I honestly forgot he was alive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4769 on: June 12, 2023, 08:03:36 AM »

I'm not sure I know who either of these two are (both names sound familiar, but I can't pin point who either are or known for).

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4770 on: June 12, 2023, 08:06:16 AM »
Conservative Religious fleece master.

Unabomber.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4771 on: June 12, 2023, 08:08:34 AM »
Conservative Religious fleece master.

Unabomber.

Oh ok, two douches  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4772 on: June 12, 2023, 08:41:09 AM »
It's a fine look.  Kaczynski ceased being relevant years ago.

I mean, I'm not one to speak ill of the dead in most circumstances, but were I to be, Pat Robertson would be high on my list, and I certainly have nothing GOOD to say about him.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #4773 on: June 12, 2023, 07:44:41 PM »

In fairness, with Kaczynski, evil was punished while he was alive. Robertson is only getting his punishment now.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4774 on: June 13, 2023, 06:22:20 AM »

In fairness, with Kaczynski, evil was punished while he was alive. Robertson is only getting his punishment now.

How is Robertson getting his punishment now?  He is dead. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4775 on: June 13, 2023, 06:32:49 AM »
And they are different in other ways:  Kaczynski directly caused three people to die, as determined by a court of law, the standard we use in a country free of thought, speech and deed to determine such things.   Robertson...    He took some odious positions, positions I patently DO NOT agree with, but I'm not on board with this assumption that he's now somehow responsible for the things we're talking about in the various threads here.

Yet another example of the ridiculous proposition that "hate is bad, I hate hate, we need to get rid of all hate...well, expect when it's my hate. That hate is okay."

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #4776 on: June 13, 2023, 08:05:12 AM »

How is Robertson getting his punishment now?  He is dead.

I was trying to be clever, insinuating that he is in hell.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4777 on: June 14, 2023, 06:26:00 AM »
And they are different in other ways:  Kaczynski directly caused three people to die, as determined by a court of law, the standard we use in a country free of thought, speech and deed to determine such things.   Robertson...    He took some odious positions, positions I patently DO NOT agree with, but I'm not on board with this assumption that he's now somehow responsible for the things we're talking about in the various threads here.

Yet another example of the ridiculous proposition that "hate is bad, I hate hate, we need to get rid of all hate...well, expect when it's my hate. That hate is okay."

Agreed.  I know that kind of thing is rampant on Twitter, but it's a bit sad to see it exist with some here as well. Not that I think "DT FORUMERS ARE THE BEST HUMANS ON THE PLANET," but to see some flaunt their hate so willingly, while appearing completely oblivious to it, is very unfortunate.

Full disclosure: I had a member of my extended family member totally go off about Robertson on FB (a reminder of why I rarely go there anymore) over the weekend, but didn't say a single word about Kaczynski, and I thought of that when reading the speaking ill of the dead thread in P/R.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4778 on: June 14, 2023, 06:40:29 AM »
Just trying to understand your point (and again, as someone who rarely if ever speaks ill of the dead):  It's OK if you speak ill of ALL of the bad dead guys?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4779 on: June 14, 2023, 06:43:42 AM »
I don't have hate in my heart (well....except for the French....bastards). So I have no feelings of any really toward Pat or Ted.

That said, Ted was universally despised and FAR removed from the public zeitgeist when he died. Speaking ill of Ted is preaching to the choir.

Pat, on the other hand, had millions upon millions of devoted fans and followers. He was not punished for anything he did (and you can disagree that he did anything wrong at all) and he didn't die in prison. So their deaths invoke different reactions in people.

Also, is it okay to speak ill of Ted? Cause hating murderers is an arbitrary line of hatred and other people have their own arbitrary lines.

Hating the French, on the other hand, is an objective measure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4780 on: June 14, 2023, 06:57:45 AM »
Just trying to understand your point (and again, as someone who rarely if ever speaks ill of the dead):  It's OK if you speak ill of ALL of the bad dead guys?

My point was about the "hate" to begin with.  I have a sort of philosophical problem with a lot of the dialogue in P/R that seems to isolate, alienate and marginalize a group of people for their hate... all by ANOTHER group of people that, lo and behold, have their own hate (and are so often either oblivious to it, or try to rationalize their own hate away).  I just find it hypocritical at worst and head-scratching at best.   What makes you so special that YOUR hate is okay and someone else's isn't?

(And INB4 the "Well, Pat Robertson was BAD!"  Maybe, maybe not, but regardless that assessment right now is being made by YOU the individual to justify your hate, and if you don't think the haters in P/R that are targeted and marginalized don't have the SAME rationalizations, you're not paying attention.  So who gets to decide whose rationalization is right?   And in terms of those subjected to that "hate", why do we expect that the reactions and consequences are any different?  If "hate" causes a gay kid to retreat, medicate, or otherwise suffer, wouldn't - shouldn't - we expect that those that are subject to the state-sanctioned hate have the same reactions?  How is that any good?)

EDIT:  Most of the "you's" are general and not to any specific person here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4781 on: June 14, 2023, 07:13:52 AM »

No, that is not what I said or implied. I think I said in that thread in P/R (back before I requested to have my P/R posting privileges removed) that I am not a fan of trashing someone right after they die.  I was raised to be better than that.   

And I don't disagree with any of what was said about Robertson (I have come to really dislike organized religion, and I find people like him pretty vile), but if someone's grave was going to be pissed on last week, I would think the guy who killed people by mailing them bombs would have been first on the list.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4782 on: June 14, 2023, 08:19:15 AM »
That said, Ted was universally despised and FAR removed from the public zeitgeist when he died. Speaking ill of Ted is preaching to the choir.

Pat, on the other hand, had millions upon millions of devoted fans and followers. He was not punished for anything he did (and you can disagree that he did anything wrong at all) and he didn't die in prison. So their deaths invoke different reactions in people.

This.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4783 on: June 14, 2023, 08:32:35 AM »
I get that, but did Robertson have any devoted fan or follower here? And, at that, an outspoken one?  I would get it if someone was talking him up, and some came back with, "No, actually, he was a piece of shit," but that doesn't appear to be what happened. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #4784 on: June 14, 2023, 08:33:44 AM »
I get that, but did Robertson have any devoted fan or follower here? And, at that, an outspoken one?  I would get it if someone was talking him up, and some came back with, "No, actually, he was a piece of shit," but that doesn't appear to be what happened.

I highly doubt Robertson has a supporter here, but I'm not sure that matters in general. It's the general response, the fact that it's DTF is irrelevant.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4785 on: June 14, 2023, 08:55:35 AM »

My point was about the "hate" to begin with.  I have a sort of philosophical problem with a lot of the dialogue in P/R that seems to isolate, alienate and marginalize a group of people for their hate... all by ANOTHER group of people that, lo and behold, have their own hate (and are so often either oblivious to it, or try to rationalize their own hate away).  I just find it hypocritical at worst and head-scratching at best.   What makes you so special that YOUR hate is okay and someone else's isn't?

(And INB4 the "Well, Pat Robertson was BAD!"  Maybe, maybe not, but regardless that assessment right now is being made by YOU the individual to justify your hate, and if you don't think the haters in P/R that are targeted and marginalized don't have the SAME rationalizations, you're not paying attention.  So who gets to decide whose rationalization is right?   And in terms of those subjected to that "hate", why do we expect that the reactions and consequences are any different?  If "hate" causes a gay kid to retreat, medicate, or otherwise suffer, wouldn't - shouldn't - we expect that those that are subject to the state-sanctioned hate have the same reactions?  How is that any good?)

EDIT:  Most of the "you's" are general and not to any specific person here.
Sorry, Stads.  I was asking Kev and wasn't clear.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4786 on: June 14, 2023, 09:56:36 AM »

I highly doubt Robertson has a supporter here, but I'm not sure that matters in general. It's the general response, the fact that it's DTF is irrelevant.

Well, if "we" want to turn the forum into a Twitter-type "hey, let's overreact to the worst things and people" atmosphere instead of adjusting to those around you, I suppose it is what it is.  Let the hate continue!!!

Offline Adami

« Reply #4787 on: June 14, 2023, 09:58:24 AM »
Alright?

I wasn't justifying any hate. Nor was I spewing any hate. I was just trying to provide a possible explanation as to why one person got 5 or so posts of hate and one person did not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4788 on: June 14, 2023, 10:05:58 AM »
The hate comment was in reference to Bill's post about the people who proclaim to hate hate, yet are all about it when it is their hate.  I don't expect it to stop, so carry on.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4789 on: June 14, 2023, 10:09:23 AM »
The hate comment was in reference to Bill's post about the people who proclaim to hate hate, yet are all about it when it is their hate.  I don't expect it to stop, so carry on.

Humans have and will continue to be quite depressing. I feel ya.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4790 on: June 14, 2023, 05:19:11 PM »

:tup :tup

And to be clear, my frustration really is in general, and not really directed at anyone specific here.  I am just so sick and tired of the negativity and division.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 08:37:11 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4791 on: June 15, 2023, 10:10:21 AM »

:tup :tup

And to be clear, my frustration really is in general, and not really directed at anyone specific here.  I am just so sick and tired of the negativity and division.

As am I. Kev, you don't post in P/R, but I don't know if you read there; I pretty much post once a day - minimum - about that divisiveness being THE primary problem facing the US right now.  I deeply believe it's driven by a deep, systemic insecurity, and that same insecurity is a contributor to our mass killing problem, our suicide problem and a host of other ills.  The political bickering is just one symptom of it.

I watched a 20/20 episode about the University of Idaho killings; they interviewed the parents of one of the girls - last name, Goncalves - and I finally had to fast forward over their parts.  EVERY interview was confrontational or self-affirming, but in a really awkward, off-putting way.   The police kept the investigation VERY quiet, and in hindsight, it was the right thing to do. They handled that investigation almost PERFECTLY, and had the suspect in their sights within days of the murder, even though they didn't arrest him till almost a month later.  In the intervening time, they kept collecting evidence, and they way they handled it, the suspect did several things that will now help implicate him in court.   Masterful. 

And the one thing they asked was, they would give info to the families a day or so before, but asked that they keep it quiet.  Not that family, though. They had to go public and declare how "brave" their daughter was, and that SHE alone had "defensive wounds" (contrary to some of the other evidence that was found).  That might compromise the case against this killer.   In each interview they were consistently puffing out their chest - "that guy picked the wrong family!" kind of stuff.  In the court room the dad was all "I kept staring at him, daring him to look me in the eye."   And I kept thinking, "Dude, this isn't about your masculinity.  Chill the fuck out.  I get it your daughter was brutally slaughtered at the doorstep of the prime of her life, but you HAVE to let the experts do what they do, and get the hell out of their way".  What was dad going to do? Fight the guy in court?  It just struck me as exceedingly "American", that "we've got to fight even to our detriment even if it jeopardizes all we claim to stand for". 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4792 on: June 15, 2023, 10:49:19 AM »
Thanks for that post, Bill.  It's heartening to see that others see it as well.  :tup :tup

Your Idaho story reminds me about the people who get fired because something happens at work and they feel the need to complain about it on Twitter or TikTok, and then get fired when their employer finds out about it.  Actions have consequences.  I feel like many have forgotten that or simply do not realize it. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4793 on: June 15, 2023, 01:06:26 PM »

And the one thing they asked was, they would give info to the families a day or so before, but asked that they keep it quiet.  Not that family, though. They had to go public and declare how "brave" their daughter was, and that SHE alone had "defensive wounds" (contrary to some of the other evidence that was found).  That might compromise the case against this killer.   In each interview they were consistently puffing out their chest - "that guy picked the wrong family!" kind of stuff.  In the court room the dad was all "I kept staring at him, daring him to look me in the eye."   And I kept thinking, "Dude, this isn't about your masculinity.  Chill the fuck out.  I get it your daughter was brutally slaughtered at the doorstep of the prime of her life, but you HAVE to let the experts do what they do, and get the hell out of their way".  What was dad going to do? Fight the guy in court?  It just struck me as exceedingly "American", that "we've got to fight even to our detriment even if it jeopardizes all we claim to stand for".

I don't know, Bill. I totally get what you're saying and while we all try to imagine us being cool as a cucumber under those circumstances, having a child brutally murdered is a test to all we believe in life. I'd probably cut the guy a little slack.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4794 on: June 16, 2023, 06:16:26 AM »

I don't know, Bill. I totally get what you're saying and while we all try to imagine us being cool as a cucumber under those circumstances, having a child brutally murdered is a test to all we believe in life. I'd probably cut the guy a little slack.

I don't disagree with you on that; and I thought of that mightily while watching it and then again while posting it. And there's always the "TV" angle; those are the quotes that the producers of the show decided to air; who knows what else they said, right?  But none of the other parents were like that; one of the others was clearly a dear in headlights, a single dad who's daughter was unequivocally the best thing he's ever done in his life.

I opted to post it in part because of the same thing you wrote:  that was their truth under pressure.  That was what they opted for when they didn't know what to do.  If, in their grief, they opted to spew out about "n------s" and "f--s" and what not, we wouldn't give them a pass then.   I'm not sure we should give a pass here, at least not a full pass.  Maybe give them the pass individually, but use it as a teaching lesson for the rest of us. I don't know.