Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 287847 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #4725 on: May 01, 2023, 09:27:40 AM »
I love me a good Ren Faire!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4726 on: May 11, 2023, 01:20:39 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4728 on: May 11, 2023, 01:33:25 PM »
Sooooo close. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4729 on: May 14, 2023, 05:13:06 AM »
Happy National Guilt Day!

Go kiss your mom, get it over with, go back to ignoring her tomorrow. Or maybe that's just me.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4730 on: May 15, 2023, 02:00:10 PM »
Happy National Guilt Day!

Go kiss your mom, get it over with, go back to ignoring her tomorrow. Or maybe that's just me.

Nope... I'm with ya.  Almost.  I talk to mom a couple times a month - whether I need to or not.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4731 on: May 15, 2023, 03:09:38 PM »
*shudders*

I’ve said it before, you’re a brave man. A legend even!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #4732 on: June 03, 2023, 07:04:16 PM »
Saturday night flyby!

Hopefully I can show my face around more... between dealing with the biggest challenge of my career and joint getting rolled by all of the bugs Ivy has brought home from daycare, the last few months have just been pulverizing. The work stuff is pretty much solved (and just in time to go into my performance review!), and hopefully the worst of the devil bugs are out of the way now...though as I write this, I'm feeling another sore throat coming on.

I miss anything good around here?
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4733 on: June 03, 2023, 07:51:48 PM »
Whaaazzttss uuuppp.

Just getting through the passing of my dad. Work is out of control.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4734 on: June 03, 2023, 08:11:41 PM »
I found out my dad passed while I was at work (back in 2020, right before COVID shit on the world). He died on my mom's birthday.

I hope you find peace, my friend. Losing a parent is hard.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4735 on: June 03, 2023, 08:22:29 PM »
That is so tough for your mom. I'm so sorry James. I always try to be uplifting and use being funny as a crutch. It's been hard but it's a work in progress. As you know, you never get over pain. My brother and I are facing life without our parents. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4736 on: June 03, 2023, 08:27:32 PM »
Keep being you, man. I always appreciate having you here or social media.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4737 on: June 07, 2023, 12:30:07 PM »
The air quality is awful here in NYC. I experienced bad air quality before, but nothing like this. These are pictures from Earth Cam of downtown.

2 days ago

4 hours ago

5 minutes ago

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/worldtradecenter/?cam=skyline_g
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4738 on: June 07, 2023, 12:30:44 PM »
Jesus!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4739 on: June 07, 2023, 12:42:14 PM »
I just saw that flights in and out of LaGuardia are benched due to the air quality.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4740 on: June 07, 2023, 12:44:46 PM »
Yeah, about an hour or two ago over here on the NJ side of the Hudson river it was about as bad as the 3rd picture.  It's cleared up a bit and more like the second now.  But it's been really bad. And the smell of burning wood has creeped inside the building at work too.  It's apocalyptic

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4741 on: June 07, 2023, 01:12:48 PM »
Here, in Northern Connecticut, it just looks wicked hazy, and when you go outside, it smells like someone is burning leaves on one of the neighbor's properties.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4742 on: June 07, 2023, 01:14:31 PM »
It's not as bad as that third pic, but that 2nd pic is accurate.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4743 on: June 07, 2023, 02:22:15 PM »
The smoke haze is covering virtually the entirety of southern Ontario. I had a 3 hour drive home from a conference today, and I literally could smell hints of burning wood at several times throughout the drive.

Also, the air quality index is supposed to be worse tomorrow.

Yay, climate change.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4744 on: June 07, 2023, 02:24:49 PM »
The smoke haze is covering virtually the entirety of southern Ontario. I had a 3 hour drive home from a conference today, and I literally could smell hints of burning wood at several times throughout the drive.

Yay, climate change.

Yeah, I saw something that stated its going to clear up a bit tonight into tomorrow morning (it already cleared up a lot since earlier) but that it will get worse again late in the day tomorrow.

Online Adami

« Reply #4745 on: June 07, 2023, 02:28:21 PM »
Stupid Canada, ruining everything as usual.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4746 on: June 07, 2023, 02:29:00 PM »

Yay, climate change.

Don't point the finger. It's Canada

Online Adami

« Reply #4747 on: June 07, 2023, 02:32:10 PM »

Yay, climate change.

Don't point the finger. It's Canada.

I'd say it's time for all of us people in America, liberals, conservatives, MAGA people, AOC fans, scientologists, all of us team up to take down Canada once and for all!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4748 on: June 07, 2023, 02:32:19 PM »
pfft i've seen the tiktoks saying it's a government conspiracy! I mean how else would all these fires start up at once!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4749 on: June 08, 2023, 05:20:48 AM »
The air quality is awful here in NYC. I experienced bad air quality before, but nothing like this. These are pictures from Earth Cam of downtown.

Wow! That's insane!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4750 on: June 08, 2023, 05:34:44 AM »
Getting a lawyer to protect dad's money. We can't sell the house until it fully goes through probate.

So much red tape even though the will has my brother and I as the primary recipients.  And such a long process.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4751 on: June 08, 2023, 05:55:04 AM »
Getting a lawyer to protect dad's money. We can't sell the house until it fully goes through probate.

So much red tape even though the will has my brother and I as the primary recipients.  And such a long process.

I reached out. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4752 on: June 08, 2023, 06:22:36 AM »
The smoke haze is covering virtually the entirety of southern Ontario. I had a 3 hour drive home from a conference today, and I literally could smell hints of burning wood at several times throughout the drive. :biggrin:

Yay, climate change.

Don't point the finger. It's Canada.

I know. But what do you think is causing the wild fire problems??  :biggrin:

Online Adami

« Reply #4753 on: June 08, 2023, 06:50:57 AM »

Protect it from whom?

When my grandparents died, one of my aunts was all ready to fight it in court to get more than everyone else. Luckily my grandparents saw that coming and put in a clause that said that if anyone contested the will, they'd be written out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4754 on: June 08, 2023, 06:59:52 AM »

Protect it from whom?

When my grandparents died, one of my aunts was all ready to fight it in court to get more than everyone else. Luckily my grandparents saw that coming and put in a clause that said that if anyone contested the will, they'd be written out.

Well, Florida, we needed a lawyer because that's the law, but "protect" is just as likely from creditors.  We got claims in on the estate from all over, ranging from $500 to $22,000, and various points in between. I THOUGHT my dad planned rather well, and in hindsight, he did a B, B+.  There's always something to learn, though.  :)

Online Adami

« Reply #4755 on: June 08, 2023, 07:09:58 AM »

Protect it from whom?

Well, Florida, we needed a lawyer because that's the law, but "protect" is just as likely from creditors.  We got claims in on the estate from all over, ranging from $500 to $22,000, and various points in between. I THOUGHT my dad planned rather well, and in hindsight, he did a B, B+.  There's always something to learn, though.  :)

I'd say that makes sense but I can't follow much of it. No legal mind here. But I do remember learning about the estate tax when my grandparents died. Turns out they don't care of the money is cash or in property. We lost a LOT because the government saw that my grandparents owned millions in properties, thus owed them half. So we had to sell everything (except our house) to pay off the taxes, most of it for not nearly what the worth was supposed to be according to the gov.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4756 on: June 08, 2023, 07:13:32 AM »
We are getting ready to start the process of taking my father-in-law's property out of his name.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4757 on: June 08, 2023, 07:30:58 AM »
Adami, it's all red tape.  You have to go through the process.  Lawyers are needed to guide you through so many twist and turns.  What needs to go to probate, what doessn't.  The will, will silbings fight over the money? (In my case, we are simpatico)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4758 on: June 08, 2023, 08:02:50 AM »

Protect it from whom?

I'd say that makes sense but I can't follow much of it. No legal mind here. But I do remember learning about the estate tax when my grandparents died. Turns out they don't care of the money is cash or in property. We lost a LOT because the government saw that my grandparents owned millions in properties, thus owed them half. So we had to sell everything (except our house) to pay off the taxes, most of it for not nearly what the worth was supposed to be according to the gov.

For all the criticism that Florida takes, they DO look after their own.  There is a provision in the Florida Constitution called the "Homestead Exemption" that CONSTITUTIONALLY keeps that property you live in free from creditors, full stop.  It doesn't apply to ALL property, but it prevents creditors from demanding the sale of the primary residence in order to cover outstanding claims.   But you need a lawyer to affect that protection under law from the courts.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4759 on: June 08, 2023, 08:06:17 AM »
Dealing with all that sort of stuff ontop of the grief sounds so terrible.  I feel for you guys who have recently (or in the past) gone through it.