Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 289639 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #4690 on: April 20, 2023, 02:25:33 PM »
Where are you traveling to? How many grandchildren?

Spent a month seeing the sights in the Mediterranean about this time last year. Since then, I've been to Vegas a few times, Orlando, Palm Springs Cali, Tucson, Kentucky, just about anywhere that's warmer than Utah.

I've got seven grandchildren, but other than the youngest (who is going to be 2 in June) the rest are getting too grownup to spend much time with their Nana & Papa.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4691 on: April 20, 2023, 02:35:30 PM »
I've seen the clan pictures. A fantastic, loving big family.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4692 on: April 20, 2023, 02:36:21 PM »
Johnny you S.O.B.  How are you?!

My liege! What an intriguing name you have there...  ;)

Inside joke on TAC trying to type out a band name.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4693 on: April 20, 2023, 02:43:33 PM »

Spent a month seeing the sights in the Mediterranean about this time last year. Since then, I've been to Vegas a few times, Orlando, Palm Springs Cali, Tucson, Kentucky, just about anywhere that's warmer than Utah.

I've got seven grandchildren, but other than the youngest (who is going to be 2 in June) the rest are getting too grownup to spend much time with their Nana & Papa.

My daughter is almost at that age where she will rather hang out with her friends, so I get it. It's heartbreaking.

You've managed to get around though. That's remarkable. You've traveled to a lifetime's worth of places.

Inside joke on TAC trying to type out a band name.  :lol

Kinky

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4694 on: April 21, 2023, 01:19:54 PM »

Seven?? Wow, I didn't know that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4695 on: April 21, 2023, 01:34:46 PM »

Seven?? Wow, I didn't know that.

Imagine if you had Facebook.  You would have known that.  Stubborn old man.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4696 on: April 21, 2023, 04:42:20 PM »
Wait..you mean this isn't facebook??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4697 on: April 21, 2023, 07:15:50 PM »
This is Timbook.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4698 on: April 21, 2023, 07:18:47 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4699 on: April 21, 2023, 07:20:11 PM »
I should sig that.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4700 on: April 22, 2023, 06:32:31 AM »
I'm sure I've mentioned it before, Tim.

Five girls, two boys. Their ages are, 21, 19, 15, 12, 11, 4, 22 months. My middle daughter married a man who already had a son (7 years old) so I guess you could say I've actually got 8 grandkids.

Oh, and don't let Joe fool you, I don't really post on Facebook anyway so he doesn't really know all this either.  :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 06:45:45 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4701 on: April 22, 2023, 06:37:22 AM »
I've seen your family picture fool! :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4702 on: April 22, 2023, 06:45:09 AM »
There are a few missing from that picture, fool.  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4703 on: April 22, 2023, 06:52:54 AM »
Still a large, beautiful family.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4704 on: April 22, 2023, 06:55:24 AM »
Yup.

I'm mostly proud of them being pretty cohesive without sharing a significant amount of blood. We are a tight group patched together by love, respect, and admiration. It's a good life.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 07:13:02 AM by Podaar »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4705 on: April 22, 2023, 07:10:33 AM »
Nothing better.  I've actually met Tim's family in full on different occasions. That's what I love about this community.   Getting together with Nick next month for a Haken show and then an oldie but goodie, Rumborak for Extreme/Living Colour in August.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4706 on: April 22, 2023, 11:09:01 AM »
Greetings and salutations. It's Saturday and I'm working. It's quiet today so I'm studying for my CCNP/CCIE and drinking a mediocre cappuccino.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4707 on: April 22, 2023, 03:31:08 PM »
Just went food shopping.  Making Salmon baked on pineapple rounds.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4708 on: April 22, 2023, 03:38:20 PM »
I'm sure I've mentioned it before, Tim.

Five girls, two boys. Their ages are, 21, 19, 15, 12, 11, 4, 22 months. My middle daughter married a man who already had a son (7 years old) so I guess you could say I've actually got 8 grandkids.

Oh, and don't let Joe fool you, I don't really post on Facebook anyway so he doesn't really know all this either.  :)

Perhaps you had mentioned the full pack before, but I either glazed right by it or didn't remember. I know you've mentioned grandchildren before but I guess I didn't realize it was so many.

Your oldest grandchild is older the my son!  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4709 on: April 23, 2023, 07:38:51 AM »
Morning folks. Last day of vacation for me, dreading going back into the office tomorrow :(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4710 on: April 23, 2023, 12:36:20 PM »
Worst feeling there is about work.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4711 on: April 24, 2023, 09:16:48 AM »
Morning folks. Last day of vacation for me, dreading going back into the office tomorrow :(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4712 on: April 25, 2023, 05:25:32 AM »
I think my boss is showing up today. Might have to go on silent mode for DTF today. Lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4713 on: April 25, 2023, 08:10:32 AM »

This will definitely be me two weeks from today

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4714 on: April 25, 2023, 06:43:27 PM »

This is kind of why I don't go on holidays much.  At least being in a groove of hatred you get used to it and kind of roll with the punches.  Going away and coming back after a week or two is such a worse feeling to me.  It doesn't make you recharged, it just makes you hate it even more.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4715 on: April 26, 2023, 07:02:08 AM »
I mean, you could possibly fix that by working a job you don't hate lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4716 on: April 26, 2023, 12:10:41 PM »

This crosses my mind every few minutes, but life is expensive and I'm grossly overpaid for what I do. I recently had the opportunity to take on a completely unrelated job that I would have loved, but not even factoring in the benefits, it'd have been a $35K pay cut. I couldn't get myself to take that leap. I'm trying to pile as much into my 401K (9%) as early as humanly possible before kids come into the picture. I also get a pension through my company in addition to their 401K matching (5%), and now that I've been here for 8.5 years, that pension's actually starting to materialize into something, making it even harder to bail. Then there's the 28 days of PTO and 8 paid holidays, health benefits, the ability to take 5 days off a year to volunteer somewhere, mental health and chiropractic services provided by the company, etc.....   

My company makes it really hard to leave even if you hate your job  :lol 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4717 on: April 26, 2023, 12:18:55 PM »
I get all of that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4718 on: April 26, 2023, 01:18:31 PM »

You guys hiring? sounds pretty great lol

though I currently get 13 paid holidays, but I can sacrifice those extra 5 days.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4719 on: April 26, 2023, 01:53:16 PM »

This crosses my mind every few minutes, but life is expensive and I'm grossly overpaid for what I do. I recently had the opportunity to take on a completely unrelated job that I would have loved, but not even factoring in the benefits, it'd have been a $35K pay cut. I couldn't get myself to take that leap. I'm trying to pile as much into my 401K (9%) as early as humanly possible before kids come into the picture. I also get a pension through my company in addition to their 401K matching (5%), and now that I've been here for 8.5 years, that pension's actually starting to materialize into something, making it even harder to bail. Then there's the 28 days of PTO and 8 paid holidays, health benefits, the ability to take 5 days off a year to volunteer somewhere, mental health and chiropractic services provided by the company, etc.....   

I don't hate my job, but it has been progressing to be not the greatest anymore... but with the new stock option grants they started giving out, it would be a foolish decision to walk away.  I'm not nearly in a bad spot like you describe or that maybe Wolf is dealing with, but man, every time I think "I need a new job" it is immediately followed up with "but the benefits here are just too good". 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4720 on: April 26, 2023, 02:12:22 PM »
I enjoy my job for the most part.  Great team-mates; boss is supportive and largely leaves me alone; pay is good (thought not as good as my last job); I get a shit-ton of time off (between PTO, holidays and other incentives, I think I get 40-45 days off a year.  The work is a grind sometimes, but largely satisfying.

So, I ain't gonna complain.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4721 on: April 27, 2023, 08:26:08 AM »
No complaints here, for sure.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4722 on: April 27, 2023, 08:39:20 AM »
My current issue is my company wants my team (a team of 4 people including my manager who is hands off) to build a data center in India by January.  Uhh we just don't have the man power for this.  Even though they gave me a promotion/raise this year, it just doesnt feel like anywhere close to enough based on the current goals.  I just don't see how it's possible without the three of us going insane. There's a huge part of me that just wants to bolt and leave them burning with their ambitions, but as I mentioned, part of that promotion was stock options that really make it worth staying.  They've got me by the balls. I really have no desire to go to India, plus I very likely am doing another Euro trip this summer and someone needs to go back to Singapore before the end of the year.

Anyway, today is the last day I want to talk about work because I have 7 PTO days starting tomorrow and I'm going to Aruba on Monday. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4723 on: April 28, 2023, 06:53:45 PM »

Absolutely, but there's a lot behind it which the other guys have kind of already mentioned that I can somewhat relate to.  A lot of it is a me problem, but it's been an ongoing saga behind the scenes.  I've mentioned it before but I've been where I am since 2008 and I feel the longer you're invested in something, the harder it is to leave, no matter what shit is thrown at you.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4724 on: April 29, 2023, 12:03:27 AM »
REN FAAAIIIIIRE SUNDAYYYYYYY! We have an awesome one here in Oklahoma. I'll be going every Sunday for the next six weeks. I always have trouble navigating it, so I did a super nerdy thing. I made a map with Inkarnate (a D&D map builder) and used the image as an overlay in Google Earth, so now I will have real-time GPS while I'm at the faire.

Listen! Do you smell something?