Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 290074 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #3850 on: March 16, 2022, 06:33:41 AM »
I saw that yesterday and it bums me out. I actually love when the sun sets at 5.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3851 on: March 16, 2022, 09:40:18 AM »
Would be great to get rid of DST, maybe the best news in awhile seeing that this morning.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3852 on: March 16, 2022, 01:30:37 PM »
I am totally fine with getting rid of DST. I think it is finally freaking time. I am tired of having to check to see whether or not my cousin in AZ is in the same time zone essentially as me :lol

So... another work update. My company sent out an email to employees regarding an empty dispatch position(s?) that needs filling, and was looking for drivers who may be interested. I threw my hat into the ring, and apparently I made the short list :JayOctavarium:

I am actually slightly surprised, because even though the owner ultimately knows I want to make my way into Dispatch, I partially feel that I may not be 100% ready, but decided to go for it anyways. I figured the response to me applying was going to be "No, not yet."

Now I need to really sell myself to get the position. It shouldn't be too hard, since I have already shown to him and to the dispatch team that I really do have an interest in learning the inner workings, and I have already shown that I am not one of those drivers who just hops in the van in the morning to leave, nor do I just park my van at night and run out the door. I am always looking for things to do to help...  Even though I know I have built myself as a valued employee already, my pessimistic ass still feels anxious about everything :lol

(Also.. essentially we have 2-3 dispatchers on every day. They come in an hour or more before our start time, check out the routes and who amazon assigned them to, assign vans, sometimes swap route assignments if needed, deal with call outs and no shows that day, make sure loading goes smoothly (van loading is a shit show), keep tabs on drivers' progress throughout the day, help the drivers problem solve, send help as needed to drivers who are behind / running into trouble / have van issues, make sure everything goes smoothly as drivers return to the station, debrief everyone, make sure to log van issues,  and lock everything up. Depending on the shift, a dispatcher can be there from like 8am to 10pm.) 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3853 on: March 16, 2022, 01:46:36 PM »
YOU CAN DO IT
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3854 on: March 16, 2022, 02:01:57 PM »
Basically the owner asked a few questions in the email that he wants responses to by Monday. The first 3 are just basic... how long have you been with the company, are you Step van certified (which I just did), what is your availability.

The last 2 are a bit harder. Basically asking what relevant (management) experience I have, which was easy to answer... and asking what faults do I find with operations, if any, and what would I do to change things. That's a really tough one, because honestly I don't see many issues with how things are ran. Most issues I have, especially the big ones, involve the Amazon side of things, and my company has no control over that. The company itself is still new (just over a year old), and growing, so I love the fact that he is asking this. I just don't have a solid answer yet. I don't want to look either like I am brown nosing (because I know this and the owner knows this... NOTHING is ever going to be perfect), but I also don't want to look like I have issues with small probably meaningless things.

I am glad I have a few days to figure it out :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3855 on: March 16, 2022, 02:03:37 PM »
Not sure how I feel about DST being permanent, because that means in winter, the sun will rise after 8am for me. I personally don't care about the late sunset, but EST would mean an early AF sunrise in the summer.

FWIW, this isn't the first time this has been done.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/03/15/the-us-tried-permanent-daylight-saving-time-in-the-70s-people-hated-it/
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3856 on: March 16, 2022, 04:03:32 PM »
It's hilarious. I ended up looking at some articles about trying to adjust time, and the reasons make me laugh.

First was because of war and saving energy. Then we get the need to determine a set time schedule to agree upon because the railroads were seeing a lot of train crashes or conflicts due to the states having different times.

Then there's this article which is a fascinating take for the farmers not wanting Daylight Savings Time, because it also effects their production and supply distribution.

http://archive.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/08/22/massachusetts_sprang_forward/

The idea of falsifying clocks to delay sunrise and sunset times came to New England from old England. British architect William Willett noticed people were sleeping through sunrise. In 1907, he published ''The Waste of Daylight," which inspired Germany, then Great Britain and the United States, to shove ahead their clocks during the First World War, hoping to conserve fuel.

It didn't work. It did work for Boston department store magnate A. Lincoln Filene. He knew evening sunlight encouraged working people to shop on their way home. Filene was chairman of the Boston Chamber of Commerce, which produced the influential 1917 study, ''An Hour of Light for an Hour of Night." This became the basis for the national daylight saving campaign. Filene predicted a boon to the health and morals of the nation, and he outlined ten specific benefits for farmers. Each one was at odds with the experience of actual farmers.

Filene claimed that produce harvested before sunrise retained dew, making if fresher and more appealing at markets. Farmers knew crops could not be harvested until the sun had dried that dew. Filene predicted farmers would enjoy sleeping later, but they rose earlier than ever with one less hour of light to get their dairy to cities. Filene said animals preferred to work in the cool darkness of morning. Farmers said roosters did not wear watches.

Congress repealed daylight saving in 1919, despite intense lobbying from the Chamber of Commerce, Wall Street, professional baseball, and golfers. Except for an unpopular experiment during World War II, we had no national policy until the Uniform Time Act of 1966.

Most Americans still believe we save daylight to help farmers. Massachusetts residents should know better.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3857 on: March 16, 2022, 04:14:27 PM »
Could we be so lucky?

https://news.yahoo.com/daylight-saving-time-permanently-staying-203236074.html

Look, given where I live, I could give a rats ass which we keep (DST or ST), just do away with one of them.  I can see how some wouldn't want DST though.  I remember when I asked a colleague of mine in AZ why they don't switch the clocks, the response was "who the hell wants another hour of daylight in the desert!?!?"   :lol

My question is, for the places that don't recognize DST today, are they going to shift their timezone?  Like, AZ is currently MST.  So, without DST, do they switch to become PST?

Interestingly, since all reservations are under Federal Regulations, The Navajo Nation Reservation that lies within Arizona follows Federal Time regulations and adopted DST. The Hopi Reservation follows the state regulations of time and does not follow DST. When driving through that area of Arizona, you'll be in DST and then drive into the ST differences. You could technically go back to the future when driving in Arizona, due to the time changing.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #3858 on: March 23, 2022, 02:20:49 PM »
So a campaign on which I was Design Lead for one of our clients was submitted for an International ECHO Award by the Association of National Advertisers, an award that dates back almost 100 years and awards data-driven marketing campaigns based on innovation, creativity, execution, and performance. Out of over 300 applicants from 20 countries, we won an ECHO. We will find out next week what tier award we received (gold, silver, or bronze), but the reality is any ECHO at all is an incredible achievement. We are the first, and so far only, agency within our entire enterprise to win this award, and to allow myself a moment of pride, I am individually named as the Design Lead. I'm not just part of the team, or an employee of the company...I am THE Design Lead on the project along with my VP Creative Director.

I don't really feel what I would consider jubilant, but I'm proud of the result, and glad that my name is attached to it.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3859 on: March 23, 2022, 02:22:14 PM »
Oh Hell Yes! That's awesome! Congrats Plex!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3860 on: March 23, 2022, 02:36:57 PM »
That's so great Andrew!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3861 on: March 23, 2022, 02:38:07 PM »
That's awesome, congrats  :yarr

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3862 on: March 23, 2022, 02:56:42 PM »
So a campaign on which I was Design Lead for one of our clients was submitted for an International ECHO Award by the Association of National Advertisers, an award that dates back almost 100 years and awards data-driven marketing campaigns based on innovation, creativity, execution, and performance. Out of over 300 applicants from 20 countries, we won an ECHO. We will find out next week what tier award we received (gold, silver, or bronze), but the reality is any ECHO at all is an incredible achievement. We are the first, and so far only, agency within our entire enterprise to win this award, and to allow myself a moment of pride, I am individually named as the Design Lead. I'm not just part of the team, or an employee of the company...I am THE Design Lead on the project along with my VP Creative Director.

I don't really feel what I would consider jubilant, but I'm proud of the result, and glad that my name is attached to it.

You have a right to gloat all you want.  Congrats Drew.

:happydance:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3863 on: March 23, 2022, 08:22:34 PM »
Thanks, guys. The campaign generated a 15% year over year increase in gross revenue and outpaced donation projections (we work for nonprofits) by nearly 40%.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3864 on: March 23, 2022, 08:24:08 PM »
Thanks, guys. The campaign generated a 15% year over year increase in gross revenue and outpaced donation projections (we work for nonprofits) by nearly 40%.

Adds up to 100% awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3865 on: March 24, 2022, 12:19:26 PM »

killin' it

Congratulations, my man!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3866 on: March 25, 2022, 04:17:59 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3867 on: March 25, 2022, 10:05:58 AM »
 :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3868 on: March 25, 2022, 10:06:35 AM »
I wish!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3869 on: March 25, 2022, 03:43:42 PM »
Good afternoon nerds.

So I spent 13 hours yesterday with our dispatch basically shadowing them. My company really puts a lot into picking new dispatchers. They want candidates to see what goes on in a day in the life of an all day dispatcher... And to show people that it's not just sitting on your ass.

Mind you there is a lot of sitting on your ass. But... And I already knew this... When shit hits the fan, they have to take care of everything. They basically run day to day operations....

With that being said... I'd love it and would do pretty well with my previous experience... But... I don't want to be off of the road. Dispatchers still drive but it's like once a week, if that. I've lost so much weight with how active the job has me... I'd hate to go backwards on that.

Also there's not much of a pay increase with the dispatch position. More freedom, more responsibility, but that's it.

It's a conundrum.

Also I haven't been offered the position yet... So I shouldn't get ahead of myself. There are several people going for it, most of who would do well.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3870 on: March 25, 2022, 06:30:28 PM »
Go where the money goes Jay

At a small show seeing Mike Campbell's band, "The Dirty Knobs" tonight. The guitarist for Tom Petty.  So cool to see him in a small venue.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3871 on: March 27, 2022, 07:08:17 PM »
You don't realize how fast the years go by until you see children grow up. I blink and 6 year olds are 22.

It happens so fast and even though I've always been there, it goes so fast.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3872 on: March 27, 2022, 09:27:15 PM »
You don't realize how fast the years go by until you see children grow up. I blink and 6 year olds are 22.

It happens so fast and even though I've always been there, it goes so fast.

Stop blinking so slowly!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3873 on: March 28, 2022, 04:46:42 AM »
Seriously. Just waxing poetic seeing my friend's kids grow up so fast.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3874 on: March 28, 2022, 01:07:16 PM »
Seriously. Just waxing poetic seeing my friend's kids grow up so fast.

Yea. I went on FB a few weeks ago and saw my ex fiancé's daughter is graduating highschool. I last saw her when she was 3 or 4 years old. And that felt like a few years ago, not 13! It's crazy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3875 on: March 29, 2022, 06:22:18 AM »
Don't get me started on kids growing up fast... 

Offline Adami

« Reply #3876 on: March 29, 2022, 06:22:46 AM »
Don't get me started on kids growing up fast...

...well now I have to!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3877 on: March 29, 2022, 07:03:14 AM »
Too damn fast.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3878 on: March 29, 2022, 01:51:17 PM »
On the heels of the ECHO award, the full results of which I'll know later tonight, I just had my review and have been promoted and given a raise. Hell of a pre-birthday gift. I'm floating right now.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3879 on: March 29, 2022, 03:57:49 PM »
On the heels of the ECHO award, the full results of which I'll know later tonight, I just had my review and have been promoted and given a raise. Hell of a pre-birthday gift. I'm floating right now.

Fuck Yeah. :2metal:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3880 on: March 30, 2022, 05:39:50 AM »
 :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3881 on: March 30, 2022, 06:29:02 AM »
Kick Ass

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3882 on: March 30, 2022, 06:32:56 AM »
Hyperplex, now that you're on this incredible run, at your highest point, don't go and slap anyone on any stages anywhere.  Keep your cool, keep your humility!   :) :) :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3883 on: March 30, 2022, 06:54:25 AM »
Oh, and Drew,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3884 on: March 30, 2022, 06:31:23 PM »
Thank you guys.
I have no intention on doing anything rash. I am incredibly humbled by the success at work; I now need to prove their faith in me is founded. I'm incredibly fortunate.

Thanks, Joe!