Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 288667 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #3500 on: September 12, 2021, 08:59:06 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it. What did you get into the past two weeks (apologies if you've posted somewhere else)?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3501 on: September 12, 2021, 09:03:20 AM »
I shudder to think of the emails I'd come back to if I took 2 weeks off from work. I get 300-400 a day, so multiple that by 10 business days, throw in the couple dozen or so that trickle in on weekends, and there you have it.  I would spend my first day back doing nothing but playing catch-up. :eek :eek

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3502 on: September 12, 2021, 09:05:13 AM »
I do the same thing Kev, when I took a week off I came back to almost 2000 emails. I'd say about 60% are system generated emails that can go directly in the trash and the rest I skim.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3503 on: September 12, 2021, 09:10:22 AM »
I shudder to think of the emails I'd come back to if I took 2 weeks off from work. I get 300-400 a day, so multiple that by 10 business days, throw in the couple dozen or so that trickle in on weekends, and there you have it.  I would spend my first day back doing nothing but playing catch-up. :eek :eek

When I take off from work, I almost always take a half hour each day to weed through the messages I get.   It's not a chore, and it keeps me grounded.  Work is a part of my life, and I don't forget my wife or kids when I'm at work, why should I forget my work entirely when I'm on vacation?  I can and do do both.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3504 on: September 12, 2021, 09:18:16 AM »
I do the same thing Kev, when I took a week off I came back to almost 2000 emails. I'd say about 60% are system generated emails that can go directly in the trash and the rest I skim.

Yeah, many for me are not ones I have to intend to (usually close to half are for accounts I do not manage normally, but ones I have to do on days when my backup is off, and vice versa), but it's time-consuming to sort through them all, and that is not even taking into account looking my stuff over that was done when I was gone to make sure everything was done correctly since I am one of those "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself" types.  :lol :lol

When I take off from work, I almost always take a half hour each day to weed through the messages I get.   It's not a chore, and it keeps me grounded.  Work is a part of my life, and I don't forget my wife or kids when I'm at work, why should I forget my work entirely when I'm on vacation?  I can and do do both.

Same here. I will usually glance at them in the evening before I go back the next day and move over what I can and whatnot to the proper folders to get them out of my Inbox. The problem there is if I see a mess I know I will have to clean up the next day, I start thinking about it and it affects me getting to sleep.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3505 on: September 12, 2021, 09:20:29 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it. What did you get into the past two weeks (apologies if you've posted somewhere else)?

Did a whole lotta nothing. Sat around the pool, worked out, a few day trips, had friends over one night for a fire pit, my mother over another day.  Friday and yesterday, we took jingle.son to Ottawa for an impromptu visit of his campus. He’s still 100% online this term, but will/should be on campus in January.

Today’s weather ain’t great, so it’s just chilling out inside.

Luckily, email is not a bear for me (50 or so a day), but when most of my contacts know I’m out, they don’t burden me with much. My job doesn’t get a lot of incoming communication (quantity wise).  I’ll be surprised if I come back to more than 300.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3506 on: September 12, 2021, 09:37:16 AM »
Usually when Im off, im off. It's pretty frowned upon to log in at my work during pto, however if it's urgent my boss will shoot me a text or a phone call.

Jingle that sounds really nice. There is something to be said for spending time off at home. I've been on the move so much the past month that in tired from taking time off :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3507 on: September 12, 2021, 09:51:28 AM »
I got a vacation dilemma.

A few months back or so I put in for 3 weeks of vacation (which I've accrued) in November so I can go to Israel and see my mom for the first time in two years. Since then, the director, several psychologists, and the associate director have left. By the time I leave, it will (likely) just be me, another staff psychologist, and a graduate assistant running the whole damn counseling center (for a university). So I feel kind of bad since that'll mean 3 weeks of one dude essentially doing everything. But I also really don't want to change it and I don't keep the time after Jan 1st.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3508 on: September 12, 2021, 10:09:11 AM »

A few months back or so I put in for 3 weeks of vacation (which I've accrued) in November so I can go to Israel and see my mom for the first time in two years. Since then, the director, several psychologists, and the associate director have left. By the time I leave, it will (likely) just be me, another staff psychologist, and a graduate assistant running the whole damn counseling center (for a university). So I feel kind of bad since that'll mean 3 weeks of one dude essentially doing everything. But I also really don't want to change it and I don't keep the time after Jan 1st.

What is more important for you and what do you prioritize more? Who is more deserving of your compassion and care, who's feelings do you want to hurt the most....Your co-workers, or your mother?

I would ask myself these questions if faced with that dilemma.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3509 on: September 12, 2021, 12:13:27 PM »

I think that there'd be so much planning and care to take in planning a trip to Israel. This is an important trip it seems, and I wouldn't change it. I totally understand the responsibility you feel for work, but this isn't just some random vacation.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3510 on: September 12, 2021, 01:40:29 PM »
Agreed. It’s admirable you feel a sense of loyalty and twinge of guilt to your employer (and co-workers) but this (the recent departures) is their problem to solve, not yours.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3511 on: September 12, 2021, 04:15:31 PM »
Bingo. Although if you're concerned about it and the trip would be feasible to reschedule you could see if they want to make an exception about the lack of rollover days and let you delay the trip until they're staffed back up a bit.
Photobucket sucks.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3512 on: September 12, 2021, 06:07:22 PM »
Agreed. It’s admirable you feel a sense of loyalty and twinge of guilt to your employer (and co-workers) but this (the recent departures) is their problem to solve, not yours.

Said perfectly.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3513 on: September 12, 2021, 08:53:34 PM »
I work for a small remodeling company. I am the guy who drives the van, picks up all the materials, cleans up the jobsites and takes trash to the dump, and helps out with grunt work whenever and wherever I can. Whenever I take vacation days, my boss hates having me gone because none of that stuff happens (or happens at a much less efficient clip), but appreciates that I use my well-earned vacation time, with the attitude of "Have a great time, don't think about work, we'll figure out it." Because that is what management/ownership is supposed to do.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3514 on: September 13, 2021, 04:42:32 AM »
Yeah the managers at work are all " we care more about the team than we do about profit. "

Then they go out of their way to make our jobs harder. Thank F I only have one month left there. if I don't quit/get fired sooner !  :biggrin:  ;D :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3515 on: September 13, 2021, 05:36:56 AM »

Take it from someone who has been that exact guy and sacrificed taking leave to keep everything at work running for his entire twenties and now most of his thirties.  When the time comes that you realised one should have done things, taken breaks and seen the world for the sake of himself and not a company who doesn't give a shit about you, but now can't and realised opportunities are wasted and limited from things outside your control, regret is a real emotion.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3516 on: September 13, 2021, 07:13:28 AM »
Go on vacation and let shit hit the fan. You staying back to help the company is just them using you as a crutch.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3517 on: September 13, 2021, 07:27:23 AM »
Go on vacation and let shit hit the fan. You staying back to help the company is just them using you as a crutch.

It's not so much the university. They treat us all like crap, which is why there's almost no one left. It's the actual coworker and the students. The university wouldn't have to figure anything out when I'm gone. They'll just put it all on the other psychologist here and students will go without services. I don't think I'm going to reschedule (unless forced to by COVID stuff), it just really sucks.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3518 on: September 13, 2021, 07:41:27 AM »
Yeah the managers at work are all " we care more about the team than we do about profit. "

Then they go out of their way to make our jobs harder. Thank F I only have one month left there. if I don't quit/get fired sooner !  :biggrin:  ;D :biggrin:

No offense, but there just seems to be so much more to that story...    ;) :) :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3519 on: September 13, 2021, 08:31:10 AM »

It's not so much the university. They treat us all like crap, which is why there's almost no one left. It's the actual coworker and the students. The university wouldn't have to figure anything out when I'm gone. They'll just put it all on the other psychologist here and students will go without services. I don't think I'm going to reschedule (unless forced to by COVID stuff), it just really sucks.

It's unfortunate for the students, but ultimately is not really your problem.  Use your time.  Especially because you have plans and your own needs to see your family.  That's way more important than helping the university that doesn't seem to care either way. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3520 on: September 13, 2021, 01:50:01 PM »

No offense, but there just seems to be so much more to that story...    ;) :) :)
I would think so.  I work for a great company, but I've never hear them say anything like "we care MORE about the team than profit".  Care for the team?  Yes.  But they also care about profit, as do we, since our bonuses are based on our company's results.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3521 on: September 13, 2021, 02:56:23 PM »

I garuntee that if any of those students or coworkers were in your shoes, every single one of them would take their leave.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3522 on: September 14, 2021, 06:53:25 AM »

I would think so.  I work for a great company, but I've never hear them say anything like "we care MORE about the team than profit".  Care for the team?  Yes.  But they also care about profit, as do we, since our bonuses are based on our company's results.

I think we forget sometimes that we don't have jobs if the company doesn't care about profit.   At least the larger enterprises.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3523 on: September 14, 2021, 02:15:27 PM »

I think we forget sometimes that we don't have jobs if the company doesn't care about profit.   At least the larger enterprises.
Exactly.  I can't keep working for this great company if they don't make enough profit to keep me employed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3524 on: September 14, 2021, 02:32:59 PM »

Said better multiple times... take the time and take the trip.  Go for a swim (or float I guess) in the Dead Sea and hike up Masada; go see the Eastern Gate and tell me when you get back if the growing plants are actually spelling the unspoken name of God.  Go see your family.  Work is work and it will be waiting for you when you get back.

My wife and I have always worked on our vacations (usually an hour or two in the early morning and an hour or two late at night) because to not work for 10-days would be a merciless Hell that would take days for us to recover from as many others have said.  But I've never let that stop me from going on vacation (usually two or three a year)... especially a trip that requires planning on that level. 
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3525 on: September 15, 2021, 04:12:15 AM »
Does anyone else have that thing where you wake up early and you immediately know something is wrong ?

So you check your phone and you've got bad news ? This has happened to me several times.

It's like your brain wakes you up early and there's just this ugly "feeling"... But you know something bad has happened.

I dunno. Maybe 'someone' wakes you up early so you can deal with it pronto and get it out of the way...

Maybe it's just a huge coincidence.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3526 on: September 15, 2021, 07:21:07 AM »
Maybe it's just a huge coincidence.

I think this is more likely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3527 on: September 15, 2021, 07:27:08 AM »
case closed

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3528 on: September 15, 2021, 07:55:20 AM »
I think humans have some instincts though.  I'm not entirely sure it's always a coincidence. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3529 on: September 15, 2021, 07:56:21 AM »
Right. There have been several times i've woken up and gone " oh crap - what's happened ? " only to check my phone and have received bad news.

And no I didn't have an audible notification or anything. It's just a "sense".

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3530 on: September 15, 2021, 09:09:08 AM »
Right. There have been several times i've woken up and gone " oh crap - what's happened ? " only to check my phone and have received bad news.

Yeah, but you think every piece of news is bad, so there's that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3531 on: September 15, 2021, 09:21:53 AM »

Right, plus doesn't K-boy wake up expecting bad news? I mean, if so, he's going to be correct some days.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3532 on: September 15, 2021, 10:25:08 AM »

Right, plus doesn't K-boy wake up expecting bad news? I mean, if so, he's going to be correct some days.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3533 on: September 16, 2021, 01:48:08 PM »
A Wal Mart security employee at our DC was checking in trailers coming into the yard at the gate and was crushed between 2 trucks.  He did not survive.  This place is numb right now.  He handed me my badge to get in to the building today.  I'm beside myself right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3534 on: September 16, 2021, 03:53:54 PM »
That's awful Joe
Photobucket sucks.