Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 283264 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #3045 on: April 09, 2021, 03:20:36 PM »
 :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3046 on: April 09, 2021, 03:35:10 PM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3047 on: April 09, 2021, 03:46:18 PM »
He did not.

Dylan you son of a bitch!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3048 on: April 09, 2021, 03:49:03 PM »
Yikes, y'all need to get lives if you're still mentioning me after all this time  :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3049 on: April 09, 2021, 03:52:31 PM »
We missed your shiny metal ass.  Oh wait..
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3050 on: April 09, 2021, 04:13:09 PM »
Yikes, y'all need to get lives if you're still mentioning me after all this time  :lol

y'all??  You finally move out of Oz?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3051 on: April 09, 2021, 04:44:44 PM »

You've gone hillbilly on us while you were gone? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3052 on: April 09, 2021, 04:48:10 PM »
I don't know what you're talking about.

Dag nabbit!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3053 on: April 09, 2021, 05:02:55 PM »
So, what game are you working on these days?  I know that's where the money's at.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3054 on: April 09, 2021, 06:24:04 PM »
That would be classified.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3055 on: April 09, 2021, 07:24:20 PM »
That would be classified.

What does a hick know about classified information?  If you bought an air conditioner I'll cut you slack.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 07:38:43 AM by kingshmegland »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3056 on: April 09, 2021, 07:55:09 PM »
eyyy Blob is back!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3057 on: April 09, 2021, 09:44:56 PM »
Blob!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3058 on: April 10, 2021, 08:25:00 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3059 on: April 10, 2021, 09:42:55 AM »
Blob, looks like you were missed.

Ya big lug.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3060 on: April 10, 2021, 12:29:07 PM »
Why though

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3061 on: April 10, 2021, 02:32:49 PM »
Your a great conversation.   

Brought the old man home. Boy was he happy to be back.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3062 on: April 10, 2021, 04:58:48 PM »
I can imagine King!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3063 on: April 11, 2021, 05:29:16 AM »
Why though

For the same reason air is missed when you don't have it.

Brought the old man home. Boy was he happy to be back.

:metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3064 on: April 13, 2021, 08:43:52 PM »
Welp. Did a thing.

Haven't seen my mom or brother up in Santa Rosa in like 2 years. There's a discount airline that flies a few flights a week out of Burbank (about an hour from me) to the airport in Santa Rosa. Booked a flight for $54 round trip... It's just 2 nights but if things go well with this shitty airline, I can start going up there every few months.

My mother is ecstatic, and I'm looking forward to getting away (alone... If you know what I mean) for a few days.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3065 on: April 14, 2021, 06:22:37 AM »
That's awesome Jay. I'm sure the flight can't be that bad. I take Allegiant to Florida every few months to visit my brother and mom for a round trip total of $80 and while the flight has no amenities it's cheaper than driving and way less of a hassle. Not to mention Allegiant actually figured out how to board a plane in 20 minutes, early boarding first then everyone loads back to front. No calling up zones 1 through 923.

Sorry went a little off the rails there.

I hope you have fun! When do you fly out?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3066 on: April 14, 2021, 09:25:07 AM »
Hey, it's a good thing.  Enjoy!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3067 on: April 14, 2021, 11:47:13 AM »
I'm leaving May 11th, coming back on the 13th. I found out that the Amtrak and Metrolink lines run right the Burbank airport... So I'm going to make an adventure of it and take the train down.

My girlfriend is doing the same thing. She booked a flight through them for a flight up to Oregon to visit HER mother in August.

It's funny... I went a year without doing ANYTHING (minus our day trip to the desert back in August), and now I've got my birthday trip planned for the end of this month, a trip up to see family in May, Green Day /Weezer in July, and honestly there's something in June we've talked about but I can't remember what it was :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3068 on: April 14, 2021, 07:05:50 PM »
This summer the inlaws have set up trips to HI (where MiL is from) and Lake Powell, which is a family tradition of theirs. I am lukewarm on these trips on a normal year, but we will be vaccinated by then. And a houseboat on a Lake with 2 other families who I believe are already vaccinated is about as socially distant as you can get on vacation. The kids will be with us, but we will have them wear masks when and where appropriate, as will we as required/necessary.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #3069 on: April 15, 2021, 06:23:09 AM »
Company officially announced yesterday that, starting on Jan 1 2022, salaried employees will receive unlimited paid time off.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3070 on: April 15, 2021, 06:28:55 AM »
Company officially announced yesterday that, starting on Jan 1 2022, salaried employees will receive unlimited paid time off.

The last company I worked for instituted that in 2016.  It's actually a VERY smart move for companies.  I'm shocked more don't do it, tbh.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3071 on: April 15, 2021, 09:56:52 AM »
Given that my company didn't pay accrued time upon separation to begin with, there is literally no downside to this. For people who are not salaried, the hour banks have increased for all tenures of employment.
Some people were whining about losing their accrued time at the end of the year before they finally grasped the fact that it's literally unlimited, no bank or accrual. And it was given with no backtalk; they are instituting it because the past year has shown how much we need work/life balance and they want us to use time as we need it without worrying about getting paid. It's being rolled out enterprise-wide, across the entire group, not just individual companies.

Many companies, especially smaller ones, view paid time off as lost money and wrongly feel employees will abuse it and never work, despite numerous data that show otherwise. It's another example of skewed and detached management not adjusting thought processes with workers in mind.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3072 on: April 15, 2021, 11:21:06 AM »
Unused PTO is a liability that has to be accounted for on the books every quarter that it's not used.  My company forces us to at least schedule our PTO in the HR system so they don't have to have continue to account for it every quarter.  It's f'n stupid - like I know in January when I want to use my PTO for the next 12 months.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3073 on: April 15, 2021, 11:57:03 AM »
Unused PTO is a liability that has to be accounted for on the books every quarter that it's not used.  My company forces us to at least schedule our PTO in the HR system so they don't have to have continue to account for it every quarter.  It's f'n stupid - like I know in January when I want to use my PTO for the next 12 months.

Up until this shift, we were allowed to roll up to two weeks over into the next year, continuing to accrue at our current rate on top of that with no maximum. Unused above those 80 hours were terminated and lost. So we all now have "use or lose" by Dec 31, at which point our old accrual balances drop off and are terminated, replaced with unlimited. Management is actively encouraging us to not leave time on the table. We request and schedule our PTO through our HR portal as well, but we aren't forced; we simply use it when we need to schedule, and it's centralized so all departments who need to see it have it in real time, rather than a piece of paper or some transient email getting beamed around the office like a ping pong ball.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3074 on: April 15, 2021, 03:07:50 PM »
Awww shit Less Than Jake (one of my oldest and favorite ska bands) just announced they are playing a concert in NJ this summer at a beer festival! Best news I've heard in a long time.  Almost makes me want to start a "Your Concerts in 2021" thread but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3075 on: April 15, 2021, 03:14:32 PM »

The last company I worked for instituted that in 2016.  It's actually a VERY smart move for companies.  I'm shocked more don't do it, tbh.

Yep, because they know any good employee not only won't abuse it, but is likely to take less days than they would have had they still gotten a specific x-number of days per year, and a bad employee who does abuse it probably isn't long for the company anyway and this way they don't have to pay them for any unused vacation days if/when they quit.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3076 on: April 16, 2021, 06:52:58 AM »
Yep, because they know any good employee not only won't abuse it, but is likely to take less days than they would have had they still gotten a specific x-number of days per year, and a bad employee who does abuse it probably isn't long for the company anyway and this way they don't have to pay them for any unused vacation days if/when they quit.

The only limit on our new policy is that it can only be used for a maximum of 10 consecutive work days, which I feel makes sense. Someone on the call asked if it was possible to take 10 days, work for a day, then take another 10 days, to which the answer was yes, but then they'd have to re-evaluate, if the can afford to let them take off for 20 of 21 days, do they really need them on payroll....shut that one person up real quick.

And I agree with you, Kev. By almost all accounts, unlimited leave makes sense, and it really is an antiquated way of thinking that prevents it becoming the norm. It's a similar mindset to the one that strongly opposes remote work (for those whose jobs allow it); that flexibility and fluidity equate to abuse and neglect. I've worked for so many people that felt if they didn't see you every hour of every day, you were stealing from them. For me personally, it's refreshing and rewarding to finally be at a company that is embracing this flexibility and balance.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3077 on: April 16, 2021, 07:58:46 AM »
The only limit on our new policy is that it can only be used for a maximum of 10 consecutive work days, which I feel makes sense. Someone on the call asked if it was possible to take 10 days, work for a day, then take another 10 days, to which the answer was yes, but then they'd have to re-evaluate, if the can afford to let them take off for 20 of 21 days, do they really need them on payroll....shut that one person up real quick.

I'd counter with "my contributions for the other 200 days of the year are disposable if I take my PTO consecutively?"  Also... Europeans seem to manage their businesses just fine with employees taking 3 or 4 weeks leave.

Not that anyone really can do much with 3-4 consecutive weeks atm, but in the future, if I want to take a vacation to Europe or Australia, I just might want more than 2 weeks off to do so.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3078 on: April 16, 2021, 08:08:10 AM »
Not to sound like a broken record, but while it might be "antiquated thinking" that is holding this up, this isn't new, this isn't unique to this topic.  I've worked from home for close to a quarter of my working career, and I've almost always (I say "almost", but I'm being humble; I can only think of one and it was during a time I was NOT working from home) had stellar reviews.  I've also left vacation time on the table for almost (again...) every year for at least the past decade.  I know that good workers are going to be good workers regardless of what the circumstances are under which they are working. 

But like a distinct minority of gun owners abuse their right, like a distinct minority of whites fail to see equality with our black brothers and sisters, like a distinct minority of immigrants fail to follow the laws of their new country, like a distinct minority of our elected officials take bribes and diddle little girls, we're always beholden to the outliers. It's always the extremes that drive the narrative.   When you've got a P/L to run, when you've got a market that's not cooperative, it's not "antiquated thinking" that is standing in the way.  It's controlling variables.

If some company institutes this, and for some - unrelated - reason the numbers don't come in, that executive is STILL going to have to answer for it.   There are articles and articles about business practices that go against "common sense" (layoffs, bonuses, 360 feedbacks) and yet the "common sense" perceptions still persist.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3079 on: April 16, 2021, 12:04:30 PM »
The Rolling Stones are Star Wars. They've been going for way too long - they're obviously inferior to the Beatles ( who are clearly Star Trek )

they're massively popular and nobody can quite work out why ;D