Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 283340 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #2905 on: March 03, 2021, 07:17:43 AM »
It's funny how as life becomes more stressful or otherwise distracting, I post here less. I do come on and read and try to catch up, but my inclination to share goes down under those circumstances. I'm still here, though.

There is a direct correlation between how my life is going and the frequency in which I post. That doesn't just apply to DTF, it's everywhere.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2906 on: March 03, 2021, 10:36:30 AM »
it's kind of a long story but for various reasons, my version of AutoCad has recently become unusable. I've enjoyed the learning curve of this software, even though it had me pretty frustrated for the first hour. You have to unlearn a lifetime of computer drafting habits. Have any of you used it? I'd love to hear some thoughts on it.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm curious, been using AutoCAD since for ~13 years and still using it for loads of different things.

Also never used Sketchup but I'm interested to hear how is it different from AutoCAD.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2907 on: March 03, 2021, 11:40:14 PM »
It's funny how as life becomes more stressful or otherwise distracting, I post here less.

I am probably the opposite. I do not have many outlets for my stress, and the ones I used to have are too destructive and my wife wouldn't approve of anyway.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2908 on: March 04, 2021, 04:16:31 AM »
Greetings and salutations

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2909 on: March 04, 2021, 04:38:32 AM »
Greetings and salutations

Johnny... long time no see.  What's up man?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2910 on: March 04, 2021, 04:45:57 AM »

Not much, brother. At the moment, sitting at work waiting for coffee. I sent you a message on LinkedIn back in November. It was for your work anniversary.

How are things with you? Sorry I disappeared on you. I know we were discussing some things through email. I really am terrible at corresponding, especially when things go wrong. I tend to curse the world and disappear.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2911 on: March 04, 2021, 04:55:28 AM »

Not much, brother. At the moment, sitting at work waiting for coffee. I sent you a message on LinkedIn back in November. It was for your work anniversary.

How are things with you? Sorry I disappeared on you. I know we were discussing some things through email. I really am terrible at corresponding, especially when things go wrong. I tend to curse the world and disappear.

Oh man... missed that.  I got a bunch (along with some random birthday wishes around the same time), and just didn't respond to (m)any of them.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2912 on: March 04, 2021, 04:58:56 AM »
I get a lot of messages as well. I tend to forget to respond.

Everything else okay?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2913 on: March 04, 2021, 05:49:46 AM »
it's kind of a long story but for various reasons, my version of AutoCad has recently become unusable. I've enjoyed the learning curve of this software, even though it had me pretty frustrated for the first hour. You have to unlearn a lifetime of computer drafting habits. Have any of you used it? I'd love to hear some thoughts on it.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm curious, been using AutoCAD since for ~13 years and still using it for loads of different things.

It's not very sexy, I'm afraid. The computer that I did drafting on (rarely) had the operating system SSD go out. The repair shop wouldn't put Windows 7 back on the new one, so I'm having to use Windows 10...which won't run a virtual XP box. Yes, you guessed it, my license was so old that it would only run on XP.  :lol

Also never used Sketchup but I'm interested to hear how is it different from AutoCAD.

Well, AutoCAD, as you well know, is more of an engineer's tool...that people like me used to make 2D prints. Plan layouts for home projects and such. Or perhaps to draw a traditional 2D print for getting a fab shop to make a part.

Sketchup is more of a precision designer's tool...that forces people like me to draw in 3D. Any shape you make is actually modeled in three dimensions, and more annoyingly, each surface and edge of the shape is it's own entity until you bind (group) them together. Any unbound shape that touches or overlaps the edge of another unbound edge or surface is inextricably stuck together. This can make for surprisingly hilarious results when moving an object. You have to practice good (tedious) habits of binding, locking, your work. Then later, if you need to move it, or change it's shape in any way, you must unlock it, explode it, change the shape/length/dimension, regroup it (being careful not to accidently grab something not wanted), relock it.

The program seems to morbidly pervert the instincts of an AutoCAD user. Click-dragging is highly punished...until it comes time for navigation...but not for Zoom! Common tasks like "offset" only work on polygons, for creating a new polygon that is larger or smaller in diameter, not for creating a new line a certain distance away. Copying an object is actually a modified move function, which finds you having to hold down the Ctrl key while moving...just don't click-drag it! And for Thor's sake, don't forget to make it it's own entity, because at it's birth, a copied object is still subject to the properties of it's mother. Bore a hole through a hex and every copy you make get's the same hole...which is actually handy in certain circumstances.

Anyway, typical learning curve.  :)

I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2914 on: March 04, 2021, 05:53:19 AM »
I've been having a good time with Fusion360. It's got a bit of a learning curve, but there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2915 on: March 04, 2021, 06:30:38 AM »
I get a lot of messages as well. I tend to forget to respond.

Everything else okay?

As good as they can be in pandemic era.  Still employed, and the jingle.family is (mostly) healthy.  I say mostly, cuz mrs.jingle is having some rather chronic back pain/issues - almost arthritis-like... which runs in her family.  Otherwise, nothing to complain about here.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2916 on: March 04, 2021, 08:31:26 AM »
I've had a lifetime of back issues, mostly sciatica. Is she going to a chiropractor or taking anything for it? I know arthritic back issues are different from nerve issues so I'm not familiar with how one would approach that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2917 on: March 04, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »
I've had a lifetime of back issues, mostly sciatica. Is she going to a chiropractor or taking anything for it? I know arthritic back issues are different from nerve issues so I'm not familiar with how one would approach that.

Pandemic makes that kinda impossible  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2918 on: March 04, 2021, 09:59:46 AM »
Maybe the chiropractor part but sometimes meds help.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2919 on: March 04, 2021, 01:49:32 PM »
Good afternoon nerds.

Still dealing with the back and forth with the insurance companies for the car. Our company actually paid us out minus the deductible, and now we're just waiting for them to get her homeowners insurance to reimburse them so they'll pay out our deductible as well.

Unrelated, day before yesterday I went on a nice five and a half mile hike. we have put in an order for a pizza to be picked up, and I still had several hours to kill after my hike, so I decided to just drive around town and play Pokemon Go / listen to podcasts to kill time. Our town has a very small downtown area. It is the best place to go in town for Pokemon go. My ex's sister, who I'm still really friendly with and talk to occasionally on social media just got engaged that morning, and she lives in an apartment in the downtown area. as I was cruising around, I saw her car pull up and park. I figured I would pull over and tell her congratulations in person.

Well, it wasn't the sister driving, it was my ex who I haven't seen in like three years (her husband is Airforce..they were in TX... Now Kentucky). I figured since I was there, what the hell, and I rolled down the window and said hi. We then proceeded to have a very pleasant conversation. Found out she was in town for a funeral, she actually just got over a moderate case of covid two months ago, etc. The thing that really struck me, is I used to see her anywhere from once a week to every few weeks in the bowling world, and there's always some bad blood there. A mutual annoyance of each other. For the first time in literally a decade, that wasn't there.

Am I saying I have feelings for her again or anything? Fuck no. Do I want to be her friend? No. But does it feel good to know that I can run into her, or be around her in a bowling situation once that starts up again or say her sister's wedding or a mutual friends birthday party or something, and it not be incredibly uncomfortable? Yes, since... there's always going to be some form of loose connection to her, because of all of the mutual friends we have, including some really close friends, and the fact that I'm still friends with a lot of members of her family.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2920 on: March 04, 2021, 09:34:36 PM »

It's not very sexy, I'm afraid. The computer that I did drafting on (rarely) had the operating system SSD go out. The repair shop wouldn't put Windows 7 back on the new one, so I'm having to use Windows 10...which won't run a virtual XP box. Yes, you guessed it, my license was so old that it would only run on XP.  :lol

Well, AutoCAD, as you well know, is more of an engineer's tool...that people like me used to make 2D prints. Plan layouts for home projects and such. Or perhaps to draw a traditional 2D print for getting a fab shop to make a part.

Sketchup is more of a precision designer's tool...that forces people like me to draw in 3D. Any shape you make is actually modeled in three dimensions, and more annoyingly, each surface and edge of the shape is it's own entity until you bind (group) them together. Any unbound shape that touches or overlaps the edge of another unbound edge or surface is inextricably stuck together. This can make for surprisingly hilarious results when moving an object. You have to practice good (tedious) habits of binding, locking, your work. Then later, if you need to move it, or change it's shape in any way, you must unlock it, explode it, change the shape/length/dimension, regroup it (being careful not to accidently grab something not wanted), relock it.

The program seems to morbidly pervert the instincts of an AutoCAD user. Click-dragging is highly punished...until it comes time for navigation...but not for Zoom! Common tasks like "offset" only work on polygons, for creating a new polygon that is larger or smaller in diameter, not for creating a new line a certain distance away. Copying an object is actually a modified move function, which finds you having to hold down the Ctrl key while moving...just don't click-drag it! And for Thor's sake, don't forget to make it it's own entity, because at it's birth, a copied object is still subject to the properties of it's mother. Bore a hole through a hex and every copy you make get's the same hole...which is actually handy in certain circumstances.

Anyway, typical learning curve.  :)

Sounds like a pain in the ass but also reminds me of how I learned 3D-modeling in Siemens NX. :lol There are lots of obvious things that absolutely weren't that obvious when I started.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2921 on: March 04, 2021, 09:53:20 PM »
Invited to my first gender reveal party this weekend. It's virtual, so at least I do not have to go anywhere. Will report back sometime Saturday on the festivities.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2922 on: March 04, 2021, 10:02:25 PM »
Invited to my first gender reveal party this weekend. It's virtual, so at least I do not have to go anywhere. Will report back sometime Saturday on the festivities.

Maybe it's because I'm antisocial and all my friends are awkward... But I've yet to attend... Or even be invited to... Anything over zoom. Outside of a few video calls with my GFs dad over out Portal to test them out, and a FB messenger call with my friend a few days ago where he used the video to show me how he melts his vegan cheese, Its just not been a thing for me during the Pandemic.

Hell, even my doctor appointments have been just regular phone calls and not via video :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2923 on: March 04, 2021, 10:12:08 PM »
My MiL set up a monthly Zoom family meetings. My wife enjoys them quite a bit, especially hearing stories from older family members that she would otherwise never talk to. They also Skype often so they can connect with their grandkids.

I have been in one Zoom meeting in my life, one I had to host incidentally, as it is for our HOA and as President I am required to hold an annual meeting. I hated every second of it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2924 on: March 05, 2021, 06:28:12 AM »
Good morning, mortals.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2925 on: March 05, 2021, 06:51:49 AM »

Sorry, but one of the more ridiculous of the fads that has somehow endured.   It's worth looking up the episode of "Ridiculousness" where they had clips of reveals that failed, miserably.  Inevitably, the clips end with the husband/father laughing uncontrollably, and the wife/mother looking like someone just pissed in their kitchen sink.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2926 on: March 05, 2021, 06:52:30 AM »
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2927 on: March 05, 2021, 07:15:10 AM »
What's going on?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2928 on: March 05, 2021, 07:16:06 AM »
Just having some coffee, browsing the interwebs, scheduling my COVID-19 vaccination. Normal shit.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2929 on: March 05, 2021, 07:19:28 AM »
I like my coffee like my women...ground up and in the freezer. How about you?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2930 on: March 05, 2021, 07:21:29 AM »
Hot and scolding.  Hey, like a woman!

Morning Johnny!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2931 on: March 05, 2021, 07:26:05 AM »
I like my coffee like my women - smokin' hot and on the couch.

:zydarscouch:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2932 on: March 05, 2021, 07:31:03 AM »
 :lol  That's going to be a sticky couch, for more than one reason.

Morning, my liege!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2933 on: March 05, 2021, 07:54:00 AM »
Going to be? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2934 on: March 05, 2021, 08:34:16 AM »
  ;)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2935 on: March 06, 2021, 03:38:09 PM »

Well, that was kinda dumb. Did not realize the couple didn't know the gender till the reveal either, which changes my opinion on these, I am just not quite sure how.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2936 on: March 08, 2021, 08:30:59 AM »
We did not have a gender reveal party for my son, because they weren't a thing then. We did have one for my daughter, though I found it cumbersome. However, we made our son the center of the party. We knew what we were having and we made it a celebration for him (and by association, the rest of the family [we didn't invite friends]) to find out he was getting a sister. It was a first chance to make his sibling's arrival a happy thing, rather than the massive change that it was. He loved it and was smiling ear to ear during the whole thing, so I think we accomplished what we set out to do.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2937 on: March 08, 2021, 02:52:01 PM »
I've only been to a gender reveal party once.  It was my ex's mom's best friend's oldest son's first baby. We had the party at our place. I was supposed to play photographer, but as the cake was being cut, the mother in law stomped on my foot and pushed me out of the way so she could get a blurry photo on her shitty cellphone... (This was like 2010). Twas the only reason I stuck around for the party was for the photos 😂

My cousin invited me to hers a few years ago. I liked the fact that they went with Purple and Green (she and her fiances favorite colors) instead of Blue and Pink.

I didn't go... Because it's a 400 mile drive and I'm a horrible person, but at least it wasn't a traditional pink vs blue thing.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2938 on: March 08, 2021, 07:47:28 PM »
Saw this upon arriving at work today..

Forget returning a carriage to the corral, but what kind of bastard does this??

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2939 on: March 08, 2021, 07:48:19 PM »
Forget returning a carriage to the corral, but what kind of bastard does this??

Someone like .... you?   :lol