Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 289021 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #2800 on: January 23, 2021, 09:27:16 AM »
Am I good at maths ?

Well I'd say bout 75% yes  58% no.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2801 on: January 23, 2021, 09:36:12 AM »
There's three kinds of people in this world - those that can count, and those that can't.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2802 on: January 23, 2021, 04:51:54 PM »
Math I am strong at.

Spelling.........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2803 on: January 24, 2021, 06:07:55 AM »
Woke up to a house at 68o when the thermostat is programmed to 74o   >:(  Fan works, but the furnace won't fire.

Emergency Technician is coming in a couple of hours.  Not how I wanted to spend my Sunday.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2804 on: January 24, 2021, 06:14:21 AM »
Is the fan running continuously on the "auto" setting, or have you switched it on "manual"?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2805 on: January 24, 2021, 06:25:57 AM »
If you look at the control board behind the service panel, does it have a red light flashing slowly? If so, the thermal probe could have carbon built up on it and you could clean it. Also, you could check on the pressure switch but that would depend on your answer to my previous post.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2806 on: January 24, 2021, 06:32:00 AM »
That weekend labor will be murder.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2807 on: January 24, 2021, 07:42:27 AM »
Is the fan running continuously on the "auto" setting, or have you switched it on "manual"?

The fan will run if I turn it to manual. On Auto, I can hear the furnace start up every couple minutes, but it won’t fire.

Haven’t tried to trouble shoot myself. I prefer to pay the pros.  It’s 16 years old (original to the house). I just hope it doesn’t need to be totally replaced.

That weekend labor will be murder.

Yeah ... what are ya gonna do. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2808 on: January 24, 2021, 07:54:36 AM »
There's three kinds of people in this world - those that can count, and those that can't.

Actually there's two kinds of people.

1. Those that can work out the end of a joke

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2809 on: January 24, 2021, 08:00:13 AM »

The fan will run if I turn it to manual. On Auto, I can hear the furnace start up every couple minutes, but it won’t fire.

Haven’t tried to trouble shoot myself. I prefer to pay the pros.  It’s 16 years old (original to the house). I just hope it doesn’t need to be totally replaced.

So that tells us that the induction fan is coming on expecting the glow bar to get hot enough to ignite the gas. Probably a bad or dirty thermister, but it could be a faulty glow bar. Yeah, if you don't want to mess with it, I understand. I'm kinda like Ralphy's father in a Christmas Story, I love cursing and banging on the furnace.  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2810 on: January 24, 2021, 08:52:03 AM »

So that tells us that the induction fan is coming on expecting the glow bar to get hot enough to ignite the gas. Probably a bad or dirty thermister, but it could be a faulty glow bar. Yeah, if you don't want to mess with it, I understand. I'm kinda like Ralphy's father in a Christmas Story, I love cursing and banging on the furnace.  :biggrin:

You are a smart cochise my friend.  Replaced the induction fan, cleaned out a few things, and she fired up straight away.  $592 lighter in the pocket book, but it was nice to have the first trouble-shooting item fix the issue.  With our generator last year, I had the company out 5 times trying a whole bunch of things before they said 'fuck it, you need a new generator'.  Almost a grand in trouble-shooting and "fixes", only to have to replace the whole thing anyway.

Heat is pumping away.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2811 on: January 24, 2021, 09:18:35 AM »
Glad your heat is working Chad! When we built our house a few years back our heat wouldn't work when it ran over an hour, it was get in the 50's. Because the house was new we had a warranty on everything and the ac company that was sent out kept saying there was no issue, and maybe it was too cold for the heat to come on.... too cold for heat to work, cold in charlotte is 25F.

Anyway after a couple of years with no heat we got a different company out on our own dime and they fixed the issue in 10 minutes. Turns out some bird build a nest in some drainage line, after the heat would it would it would stop because of this clog.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2812 on: January 24, 2021, 10:28:45 AM »
Glad your heat is working Chad! When we built our house a few years back our heat wouldn't work when it ran over an hour, it was get in the 50's. Because the house was new we had a warranty on everything and the ac company that was sent out kept saying there was no issue, and maybe it was too cold for the heat to come on.... too cold for heat to work, cold in charlotte is 25F.

Did you have a 13 year old trouble-shooting it!?!?  Man, that's just lazy diagnosis.  It was -7C here this morning... coldest it's been all season so far (which is kinda disturbing, tbh)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2813 on: January 26, 2021, 06:13:00 PM »

Actually there's two kinds of people.

1. Those that can work out the end of a joke

Actually there's 10 kinds of people. Those who know binary and those who don't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2814 on: January 26, 2021, 06:57:13 PM »
There are 2 types of people.

Those with a funny bone. 

Those who suck.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2815 on: January 26, 2021, 06:59:28 PM »
Welp. I'm gonna do the thing. Friend of mine is referring me for a job at AAA. Filling out the application tonight. It's a long shot, but if I get it and get through the training, there's a lot of money to be made.

Of course you guys will hear about it every step of the way :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2816 on: January 27, 2021, 04:43:56 AM »
JAY

:JayOctavarium:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2817 on: January 27, 2021, 05:15:33 AM »
WHAT IS THE DEAL with being "First" on a Youtube video.

Literally the other 99.9% of people watching that video literally could not give two fucks.

I don't understand it.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2818 on: January 27, 2021, 06:48:56 AM »
That's been a thing forever on the internet. First comment, just like marking digital territory that doesn't gain you anything but pathetic mediocrity.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2819 on: January 27, 2021, 07:05:31 AM »
I never read Youtube comments anyway. It's usually been known as the cesspool of the internet through the years.

I only watch Youtube videos on my TV, and you can't see the comments there. Brilliant.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2820 on: January 27, 2021, 08:04:31 AM »

Did you have a 13 year old trouble-shooting it!?!?  Man, that's just lazy diagnosis.  It was -7C here this morning... coldest it's been all season so far (which is kinda disturbing, tbh)

Worse, we had a few "managers" come out :lol I tried to check it out myself but couldn't get to the drainage pipe myself because I didn't have a tall enough ladder

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2821 on: January 27, 2021, 08:04:49 AM »
I never read Youtube comments anyway. It's usually been known as the cesspool of the internet through the years.

I only watch Youtube videos on my TV, and you can't see the comments there. Brilliant.

I'd say facebook comments are worse, but yea, generally the comments are shiit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2822 on: January 27, 2021, 09:08:41 AM »
The worst comments i've seen are the Red Letter Media YouTube comments.

Hundreds and hundreds of

" Is Jay Replacing Mike ?! "

" Rich is the hero we need but not the one we deserve "

" This video took 12 years to maaaaaaaake ! "

" Is Mike replacing Jay ?! "

" Rich is a better character than we've had before if we can just get him working "

it's like good god.

I remember RLM started one of their videos once with " To all the people in the comments just saying catchphrases over and over - JUST STOP . "

And they still continued.

----

It's the same as on twitter - I hate when people reply to a post of mine with literally just a GIF. Ok what does that mean ? You can't think of a reply ? What ?

Then - when you say you hate GIFs - 100% someone will then reply with one. 100%. As i'm sure someone will do here.

I don't understand it. What is that compulsion to do something incredibly obvious - even though you know it's what everyone else would do ?

I guess I just don't understand trends. Or memes. :dunno:

Look - here's the exact same joke absolutely everyone else is saying - only *I* said this one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2823 on: January 27, 2021, 11:38:20 AM »
" Rich is the hero we need but not the one we deserve "

If any catchphrase/meme/sentiment could die I wish it was this one. It's the ultimate in hubris to assume you know - even in jest - what mankind mind "need" or "deserve" (I don't really believe in "deserve" anyway, so there's that).

I don't understand it. What is that compulsion to do something incredibly obvious - even though you know it's what everyone else would do ?

I guess I just don't understand trends. Or memes. :dunno:

Look - here's the exact same joke absolutely everyone else is saying - only *I* said this one.

It's not P/R but I'm going to thread the needle here... this characteristic, this trend feeds a lot of what I write in the P/R/ - specifically the race - threads.   We have an innate, deep-seated compulsion to be wanted, to be included.  And when we feel we're not, bad things happen.  Yeah, I sometimes wish these all would go away, but that isn't going to happen, so in lieu of that I would love if we generally could have more self-awareness about them, and maybe, just maybe, learn something from it that we could apply elsewhere and effect REAL change.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 12:54:44 PM by Stadler »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2824 on: January 27, 2021, 12:26:29 PM »
For some reason i've never wanted to do things JUST cause everyone else is.

i've been like that as long as I can remember. I've never tried a cigarette. I've never been drunk etc. No tatts. No piercings.

Never done the black hair / emo fringe thing for example.

I wear skinny jeans - but only years after it was the thing - and only cause I tried a pair once and thought they were really comfy.

If I watch a "must see" film and I think it's shit - i'll say I think it's shit. I don't care if everyone tells me i'm wrong. I never want to grow a beard like ever.

I've literally always felt like this and I'm not sure why or what the impetus was.

It's weird cause my 6 years younger brother is the exact opposite. Drinks. Smokes. Has a massive beard etc. Loves whatever music is trendy. So bizarre.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2825 on: January 27, 2021, 12:43:16 PM »
You focus too much on perceptions and not enough on what makes you happy.  Who cares about any of that, do what makes you happy even if it's the most popular thing ever or the most disliked, it means nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2826 on: January 27, 2021, 12:55:19 PM »
You focus too much on perceptions and not enough on what makes you happy.  Who cares about any of that, do what makes you happy even if it's the most popular thing ever or the most disliked, it means nothing.

:tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2827 on: January 29, 2021, 11:51:28 PM »
For some reason i've never wanted to do things JUST cause everyone else is.

i've been like that as long as I can remember. I've never tried a cigarette. I've never been drunk etc. No tatts. No piercings.

Never done the black hair / emo fringe thing for example.

I wear skinny jeans - but only years after it was the thing - and only cause I tried a pair once and thought they were really comfy.

If I watch a "must see" film and I think it's shit - i'll say I think it's shit. I don't care if everyone tells me i'm wrong. I never want to grow a beard like ever.

I've literally always felt like this and I'm not sure why or what the impetus was.

It's weird cause my 6 years younger brother is the exact opposite. Drinks. Smokes. Has a massive beard etc. Loves whatever music is trendy. So bizarre.

:lol WTF?!  You don't want a beard just because other people have one?

Do you also think anyone actually gives a fuck that you've never tried a cig or been drunk?  You not doing those things means nothing.  If you don't want to smoke or drink that's great but not doing things just because everyone else is is no way to live mate.

Not sure what the beard thing is though.  Maybe you should grow one and you just see what YOU think.  Gotta give things a try mate not just write everything off.  You're obviously conscious about it so you can definitely change that if you want to.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2828 on: January 30, 2021, 07:52:21 AM »
k
Do you also think anyone actually gives a fuck that you've never tried a cig or been drunk?

I mean clearly one person does...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2829 on: January 30, 2021, 10:02:35 AM »
*things he's never done*

Good for you.  Just so you know, a lot of people do things NOT because "everyone else is", but because that's what they want to do.  I wanted tattoos... had nothing to do with "everyone else is".  Funny how it only took you four lines to go from 'never done stuff cuz everyone else is' to doing something 'only after it was a thing'... but you had YOUR reasons.

You got some weird takes on life and society.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2830 on: January 30, 2021, 10:18:51 AM »
I mean, who in the hell does a black hair emo thing? Did I miss my chance?

And my wife buys me skinny jeans, well, they're called Slim Fit Levis...because I have no ass.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2831 on: January 30, 2021, 10:23:57 AM »

And my wife buys me skinny jeans, well, they're called Slim Fit Levis...because I have no ass.

They're so comfy to wear - but a pain to remove when they're wet  ;D ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2832 on: January 30, 2021, 02:23:15 PM »
Sigh....

• I shave because I hate how I look and feel when I don't.

• I can't bear the taste of alcohol and obviously smoking is beyond unhealthy

• My post was more about how I can't pinpoint the impetus for not wanting to follow trends etc... Not that I go out of my way NOT to do things that are popular.

More like - if literally everyone is doing something - I feel like I don't have to ?

:emo:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2833 on: January 30, 2021, 04:30:14 PM »
Sigh....

• I shave because I hate how I look and feel when I don't.

• I can't bear the taste of alcohol and obviously smoking is beyond unhealthy

• My post was more about how I can't pinpoint the impetus for not wanting to follow trends etc... Not that I go out of my way NOT to do things that are popular.

More like - if literally everyone is doing something - I feel like I don't have to ?

:emo:

Literally NOT everyone is trying a cigarette, or getting tats, or piercing, or growing beards or doing the other things you claimed you don't do "JUST cause everyone else is".

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2834 on: January 30, 2021, 09:24:15 PM »
I mean.... I've taken a single hit of a cigarette in my life...

And that was because everyone at my work smoked but me.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"