Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 288829 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #2695 on: December 17, 2020, 03:07:03 PM »
 the construction across from my street is being noticable. By the dirt on the sides of the road have a slight gap between it and the concrete barrier. I've noticed this all along our street and on the bottom of the hill our street is on. Like how it looks when you shift something slightly that has sand on it, The Sand is still in place it's just that there's a small gap there now. It's a neat thing I noticed.

Either that or mini Earthquakes.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2696 on: December 18, 2020, 06:13:24 AM »
Woo passed my recertification exams to keep my CDCDP (certified data center design professional) for another 2 years... such a waste of money, but at least it was works money and I didn't let them down... anyway, it's still snowing over here but so far hasn't been as bad as they expected.

That's awesome Cram, congrats! Do they allow any of your work hours count towards certification? I've let mine lapse a while ago.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2697 on: December 18, 2020, 08:02:27 AM »
Woo passed my recertification exams to keep my CDCDP (certified data center design professional) for another 2 years... such a waste of money, but at least it was works money and I didn't let them down... anyway, it's still snowing over here but so far hasn't been as bad as they expected.

That's awesome Cram, congrats! Do they allow any of your work hours count towards certification? I've let mine lapse a while ago.

Nah, it has nothing directly tied to work.  Just had to pass a couple exams.  Had to do take an actual in person class a few years ago but for recertifiying they just supplied all the updated study materials and you took two exams online.   My two coworkers failed though  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2698 on: December 18, 2020, 08:39:17 AM »
Was the a lab component to the tests?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2699 on: December 18, 2020, 08:45:25 AM »
Was the a lab component to the tests?

In the original in class part there was.  We had to do some basic designs and drawings, nothing too complex, but the labs, in class participation, and two exams were how the original class was weighted.  To recertify, I just needed to pass the online exams, no other labs or drawings and since no classes took place, no class participation.  Just straight up need to pass two exams which were tougher than expected and I guess why my two coworkers failed.  For them, to get recertified now they would need to do the in person class again which isn't cheap.  I don't expect work to pay for it, so I guess I am the only one on our team that can show off my badge  :lol (I really don't even care, I think this cert is pointless, but I really didn't want to fail on something that work paid for)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: December 20, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »
Had a retinal migraine last night. Never any headache. Just weird vision and mild nausea. Lasted about an hour. The mildest one i've had and the first for 5.5 years luckily.

Usually I get this \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ flashing and gradually getting larger in one eye til it goes away then i can see properly again.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2701 on: December 21, 2020, 06:15:00 AM »
That sucks, my ex used to get migraines like that all the time. I used to get severe migraines when I was younger but over the years they became less and less, I'll usually get one once every other month or so.

Did you take anything or just wait it out?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2702 on: December 21, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
A couple of precautionary anti-inflammatories at the onset. It was a very mild one to be fair. And I never get headaches.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2703 on: December 23, 2020, 08:31:12 AM »
Can't believe I forgot to put up my Xmas avatar!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2704 on: December 23, 2020, 08:46:36 AM »
Thanks for reminding me!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2705 on: December 24, 2020, 07:52:29 AM »
Yersterday it was my first time ever back at work, in my office, since we all have been sent home to work from there mid-March. That's 8 months and counting. I would have never imagined it back then that it would take this long and that we'd still be home for many months to come.

I went to collect the annual Xmas package the company gifts us with, it couldn't be delivered so we had to hand pick it and I wanted to have it before tomorrow.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2706 on: December 24, 2020, 07:56:20 AM »
I have been to my office twice since March: once to have IT run an update on my laptop (for some reason they couldn't run it remotely), and the other to pick up a holiday package (that pickup was off-hours on the weekend). It feels so familiar yet so foreign.
I really wonder what "normal" will feel like whenever this levels off.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2707 on: December 26, 2020, 03:49:37 AM »
I'm supposed to go back to work at the end of Feb.

I hope I do. I'm not really looking forward to being furloughed again. It's money - but I wanna be back at work.

------

I work at a large holiday park - in the restaurant. Even if they do what they began last year - which is - only allow 'residents' ( i.e. People who own their own caravans on site - not holidaymakers )

in the actual building to use the facilities that'd be fine. ( Actual holidaymakers were on a greatly reduced offer - you can stay in your own caravan and use the onsite mini-market but that's it ... It's a

short walk to the beach and the town - and a short drive to the next big town - so it's not like they have nothing to do... )

:)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2708 on: December 28, 2020, 03:01:50 AM »
• December 24th - Christmas Eve
• December 25th - Christmas Day
• December 26th - Boxing Day

?? HERE BE DRAGONS ??

• January 1st - New Years Day

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2709 on: December 28, 2020, 03:12:20 AM »
• December 29th - Birthday

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2710 on: December 28, 2020, 03:13:16 AM »
It's true though. The period from Boxing Day til New Years Day feels like one massively long day.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2711 on: December 28, 2020, 03:46:10 AM »
Especially when you're working on the 28-30th this year. I usually have vacation between Christmas and New Years, but not this year. Feels a bit weird to be working right after Christmas.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2712 on: December 28, 2020, 08:21:08 AM »
My company uses to always shut down between Christmas and new years, they took that away this year only to give it back a couple weeks ago. I'm happy. I think it was a thank you for not giving out bonuses and raises during the pandemic though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2713 on: December 28, 2020, 08:31:57 AM »
The only day this Distribution Center closed down was Christmas day.  Crazy, right?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2714 on: December 28, 2020, 09:16:06 AM »
For the first time in ages, I'm off until the new year. It feels weird. And yes, I'm pretty sure this week will be one elongated bout of extreme laziness.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2715 on: December 28, 2020, 03:39:05 PM »
Welp, it's happened. Covid has infiltrated my circle. (By circle I mean people I am close with, not people I have had contact with much since this began, for the most part we don't see ANYONE outside of her work, the people living on this property in passing, or my GF's dad in passing, masked).

One of my best friends has Covid. So far mild symptoms. He's been isolating in his apartment with his cat. It's really shitty because he cant work (Was driving for Door Dash after his 3 forms of income closed down at the start of the pandemic, including his own business he was building). He also doesn't qualify for unemployment because he was Self Employed and worked various 1099 jobs.

I also have someone else close to us who was exposed by someone close but not as close to us who is Covid Positive (being vague as this person is a very private person), as well as an unrelated long time family friend who I've known my entire life.

I went from knowing no one, to having a few internet friends who have it, to it hitting pretty close to home.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2716 on: December 30, 2020, 06:13:04 AM »
Well last night was a little scary a few homes one street over from us burnt down. My wife woke me up at 4 and said she could smell smoke, we walked downstairs and looked in our backyard and saw a mass of firetrucks in our neighbors house.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/local/massive-house-fire-charlotte-steele-creek-neighborhood/275-346835f2-cefb-4ca9-8a86-0df6c3e50c36

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2717 on: December 30, 2020, 08:06:49 AM »
This is nothing but the bad news chat thread.  We all need a win right about now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2718 on: December 30, 2020, 11:15:19 AM »
2020 in thread form.

Good news right this second... I'm alive and I have caffeine.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2719 on: December 30, 2020, 01:10:11 PM »
I too am partaking in some caffeine.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2720 on: December 30, 2020, 02:39:48 PM »

Me too!!! 1/2 decaf.  Peppermint bark flavor.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2721 on: December 30, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »
Drinking a cup of coffee right now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2722 on: December 30, 2020, 03:20:29 PM »
I'm saving mine for later; I have an Entenmann's raspberry something or other, and I'm going to have a nice cup of coffee and a slice of that for dessert.   I'm not a huge dessert guy, but it's cold, it's going to be rainy, and why the f--- not, amiright?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2723 on: December 30, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »

Is that the coffee flavor or creamer flavor?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2724 on: December 30, 2020, 05:00:33 PM »
Hey, I do't know where to put this, but... does anyone else watch the year-end "In Memoriam" segments and have at least one "Wait... when did THEY die??" moments?   I just watched one (and it was a long one; they went deep) on NBC, and it happened like five or six times.  Where there hell was I???

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2725 on: December 30, 2020, 05:07:13 PM »

Coffee.  I drink black.  You go black, you never go back.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2726 on: December 30, 2020, 05:36:23 PM »

In this very specific instance, I agree. I drink coffee black once I started doing it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2727 on: December 30, 2020, 11:02:34 PM »
I have never had a job where I didn't work between Christmas and New Year's Day. It is confounding to my wife, who hasn't had a job other than teaching since she was in college.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2728 on: December 31, 2020, 07:17:47 AM »

I went black a few weeks ago and I've gone back a couple of times, truth be told it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I drink it black 99% of the time now.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2729 on: December 31, 2020, 07:47:14 AM »
Just for curiosity, am I the only one whose internal calendar sees the end of an year as a big "wall" and before-after moment?

I mean, when I think of the 3rd of January, I think of it as "next year", not as "sunday". During these times I can never think of proper weekdays, but Christmas and NYE are basically big blocks that throw my seven-days calendar off  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!