Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 287881 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #2625 on: November 15, 2020, 07:14:45 PM »
Yea, a crazy storm just rolled through here with high winds. Luckily no issues other than beer cans flying out of my recycling in through my backyard

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2626 on: November 15, 2020, 08:14:06 PM »
Good evening folks.

I need to rant a tad, so bear with me.

Our landlord (aka my best friend's mother) is driving us mad. Last month she decided to send a group text to everyone (living at this address are myself and my other half in a detached studio, my best friend's mother and her boyfriend in the main house, my best friend and his wife in an attached apartment, and his sister in law and her husband in another attached apartment...) Stating that the electric bill was super high (over $800) and asked if we would all kick in to help (utilities are supposed to be included with our rent). We didn't, for many reasons (including the fact that her "boyfriend" basically runs an auto shop on the property, as well a screen printing set up... All on the garages attached to our studio).  She didn't seem to have any interest in looking into why it was so incredibly high compared to her normal summer bills.

This month, a few days before we paid rent, she sent another message out asking for $100 from each "couple" because utilities were high again, and basically threatened to raise people's rents permanently of we don't pitch in. We didn't respond to the group chat, and were going to just figure out where the extra money was going to come from and just add it on to our rent check. 2 days later she sends my girlfriend a long text going on about complaints she assumed we had (since we hadn't responded). She (we) responded with a long thought out text basically clarifying some of the issues she thought we had (the biggest one being her boyfriend basically running an auto shop attached to our studio... The noise and fumes are incredibly irritating. Especially since the garage is attached via a man door)   to our studio. The garage used to be included with the studio (my best friend had the garage when they lived in this studio). We were okay with it as we were under the expectation that it was going to be used for storage and we wouldn't be disturbed much). We explained that we understand that it's a compromise... Etc... And then asked that she look into why certain utilities were so high (this month it was the water bill)... And address them, instead of just demanding money, since we are on a tightish budget with me not working, and can't just pull money out of our asses whenever she asked.

Turns out she never even read the text. She may have at a later date but it was never acknowledged (minus her saying "I'm not reading all that". ) Yeaaa

It's gone from highs in the 90s to highs in the mid 60s here recently. A few days ago her boyfriend noticed a part of the propery was up unusually wet. I've noticed this as well at night but just attributed it to someone waterering their garden in the evening. I usually noticed at 1am.  Welp, turns out there was a leak. It wasn't noticable when it was hot, but now the water isn't evaporating at all.

Last night we received a text message less than 12 hours before work was going to begin, telling us to be prepared for the water to be turned off for 2-3 hours.  Jenna and I made plans to just go out for the day and play Pokemon Go (don't judge...) Safely in the car. I say that because we take the pandemic more serious than most. Sanitizing items, showering, and fresh change of clothing after every trip out. If we take the dog with us (she doesn't get left alone), she gets a bath as well. We stay away from people. Fuck Covid.  Jenna also had really bad anxiety when it comes it. She was already a huge germaphobe before all of this began. So this year has been really... Fun. Very stressful.

So 3 hours into it, we get a text telling us it's going to be a little longer than expected. It started at 10:30 AM. We were out until 6. Once we got home we learned that they broke the damn water main at the street, and we were going to have no water until tomorrow late morning at the earliest.

That's a big issue. Can't really cook and sanitize. Can't shower (lord knows I need one). Can't shit.  It's not like one can just hop over to a store or restaurant to use their restroom (most are closed due to Covid restrictions).   I think she should have to pay for a motel room for us... But with Covid... It's not that simple.

This type of lack of giving a shit has been going on since we moved in. It's not the worst situation ever, but I'm getting sick of it. Luckily, there's really nothing keeping us attached to this area, minus the fact that we are currently here and moving is expensive and sucks donkey nuts... But since I'm not working and Jenna can really work from anywhere... We've got our eyes and ears open. Her grandfather had offered to sign over land he owns on Utah of all places (it is curbed and has running water... Which is perfect for what we ultimately dream of doing- having a "Tiny Home" or even a cabin bulit somewhere.) But that's not feasible at the moment. You never know. We may wind up closer to one of you nerds :lol

Edit:

Just adding that out big frustration comes from not only what I mentioned above, but also our landlord just... Forgetting that we exist. She can go and have X or Y improvements done on the property (you should see the decks build for the other 2 units), but we can't get basic things acknowledged, like a leak in our shower and the what looks like mold growing under holes in the tile that she had her boyfriend seal very sloppily with clear silicone.  Don't even get me started on the issues with the ants that she spent a year ignoring, or the pile of wood sitting outside our window for the fence she's been promising to give us privacy from the neighbors who can see right into our studio if we open a window for air or light (the neighbors who happen to include her ex husband and her son- my friend's brother, who spends a lot of time right there able to look right in).

It's just frustrating. Especially since we try to respect her property. We know of previous tenants who thrashed the place.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:27:26 PM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2627 on: November 19, 2020, 06:44:35 AM »
Today's my work anniversary, so I logged in to a bunch of congratulations emails from my team. It's wild to me how a) time has passed as it has and b) after all these years working, I still feel incredibly awkward when I'm the center of attention.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2628 on: November 19, 2020, 07:44:20 AM »
I don't like being center of attention either so I get that.

Been kicking ass at work this week, got a ton of things lined up for me to knock out today and then I begin my 2+ weeks of vacation.

I was also planning on doing Thanksgiving alone this year, bought myself a nice big ham yesterday... but my brother's gf's family cancelled their plans due to covid concerns so now I'll be bringing that Ham over to my brothers to do Thanksgiving just the three of us.  I'm pretty happy, personally, that their plans got cancelled so now I'll be around some people.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2629 on: November 19, 2020, 08:00:21 AM »
Today's my work anniversary, so I logged in to a bunch of congratulations emails from my team. It's wild to me how a) time has passed as it has and b) after all these years working, I still feel incredibly awkward when I'm the center of attention.

I'm the opposite.  I'm am an attention whore.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2630 on: November 19, 2020, 08:01:39 AM »
Did someone say 'whore'?

:zydarscouch:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2631 on: November 19, 2020, 08:45:20 AM »
I am the couch. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2632 on: November 19, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2633 on: November 20, 2020, 10:22:33 AM »
Happy Friday peeps
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2634 on: November 20, 2020, 10:26:19 AM »
Jay! What's up in Cali my friend?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2635 on: November 20, 2020, 10:43:15 AM »
Dealing with a dryer from hell.

Short version is we bought a dryer from best buy, they installed it... We found a gas leak coming from where the line they installed meets the dryer.  We called them and they sent a "repair" guy, who showed up an hour early, called my gf a bitch over the phone, and then left and came back during the correct time but refused to touch the dryer, claiming the leak was at the wall and he can't touch it. He refused to even look at where the leak was.

They scheduled an exchange to just bring us a new dryer and install it fresh... But didn't actually schedule it as an install. So we had to bump the install date back. When that team finally got here they got pissed off when we asked them to wear gloves (per best buy's policy), claimed the dryer was broken (we think they unscrewed the door a little) and left.

Her dad, who retired from a job as a technician who installed and serviced
Pro grade industrial gas appliances is here now and was able to fix it in 20 minutes. Confirmed the leak was not at the wall. The hose was installed in a really fucked up way.

There's a lot more to the story... Hours on hold, etc but that's the jist of it. We bought this dryer like on Oct 24th. I probably could have installed it but we figured that since we're paying for delivery, we might as well let the pros do it.. so there is less... Chance... Of... An... Issue.

Lmao

It'll be nice to be able to do laundry again.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2636 on: November 20, 2020, 11:23:39 AM »
I hate people.  I really do.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2637 on: November 20, 2020, 04:26:28 PM »

If there’s anything that I’ve (we’ve) learned from DTF, it’s that people are the worst.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2638 on: November 20, 2020, 05:31:47 PM »
I try to be selfless in a selfish world and people wear you down because of it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2639 on: November 23, 2020, 06:46:03 AM »
You have to be a little selfish now and again. It's part of being human and maintaining your sanity.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2640 on: November 23, 2020, 07:18:23 AM »
Yeah but my selfish is minor compared to others who don't realize they are being so.  I think that's worse.  Self realization is important.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2641 on: November 24, 2020, 04:07:15 AM »

Quoted this because it needs to be repeated, over and over again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2642 on: November 24, 2020, 12:20:42 PM »
Buncha fuckin' Scrooges in here. Y'all getting coal this year.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2643 on: November 24, 2020, 12:37:39 PM »

I'll take a diffuser instead.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2644 on: November 24, 2020, 01:17:48 PM »

I'll take a diffuser instead.

For your coal scented oils!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2645 on: November 24, 2020, 01:19:28 PM »

Let me further narrow this down for ya ... giddy people drunk on infatuation are the worst.   :biggrin: :P
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2646 on: November 24, 2020, 01:20:29 PM »

Let me further narrow this down for ya ... giddy people drunk on infatuation are the worst.   :biggrin: :P

:lol Am not!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2647 on: November 24, 2020, 01:26:58 PM »
I was a gentleman.  BAHAHAHA....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2648 on: November 24, 2020, 01:28:56 PM »
 :lol

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2649 on: November 25, 2020, 07:40:08 AM »
Wife woke up to news that the county public school system has been the victim of a ransomware attack. Schools are closed today, last day before Thanksgiving break, and all students and teachers with county devices have been advised not to open, use, or access hardware or accounts associated with schools. For us, it's of little consequence at the moment because my wife only ever uses her issued device for attendance and my son has his own laptop.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2650 on: November 25, 2020, 07:54:38 AM »
What lowlifes would do something like that.  Ugh, the world we live in....

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2651 on: November 25, 2020, 07:56:31 AM »
Which makes me want to quote some wise man:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2652 on: November 25, 2020, 09:59:11 AM »
There seems to be a lot of ransomware attacks lately... the building I work in, was attacked and it took down all the security applications which meant I couldn't get around the building for almost an entire day.  Then my friend's company also got ransomwared and took down their entire internal systems and laptops for over a month, I honestly don't know how his company didn't fold in that time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2653 on: November 25, 2020, 10:08:23 AM »
My mother told me the United Church of Canada got a ransomware hit.  Da fuq?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2654 on: November 25, 2020, 10:10:37 AM »

All your poutine are belong to us

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2655 on: November 25, 2020, 10:25:39 AM »

All your poutine are belong to us

Ok, Yoda.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2656 on: November 25, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »
The thing that really burns me about this particular attack isn't so much that it happened (I would not be at all surprised to find out the school system's IT was horribly outdated and insecure) but more how the system handled the communication.

It took hours for them to notify news outlets, send out phone calls, and post to social media. Meanwhile, the teachers' union was the first to disseminate information imploring teachers to not use their devices so as to save their data. It's believe the attack started in the wee hours of the morning. The union posted about it around 6am. By then, teachers were communicating with each other privately and on social media trying to get as straight a scoop as they could. The system's site went down and there was zero communication through their social channels until 7:45 when their chief communications officer tweeted that schools and offices were closed due to "network issues." The official channels for the system itself remained utterly silent and didn't communicate to local news until around 8:15, after high schoolers would have already logged on and started their day. It wasn't until roughly 9:30 that the system officially acknowledged the attack publicly, and then followed it up with a mass robocall to their lists.

I realize they probably needed to conduct assessments, damage control, and determine how to address it, but they knew very early on that a) virtual school could not be conducted, b) there was a threat to the security of system-issued devices, and c) those with those devices should not use them. Social media and news organizations do not require an intranet to function; anyone with access to the accounts could have made a post saying "due to network issues, schools will be closed today, more details to come as we investigate" or something of that nature, and it should have been done as soon as they determined there was going to be a massive problem.

I know more than a few families who were utterly confused as to what to do this morning due to zero communication that was readily available. I mean, really, no one follows the chief communication officer, but everyone follows the system page itself. If he could tweet the announcement, the system could have. I think it's very poor management, and seems to show more of a concern about optics and perception than on actually addressing the situation. It's a very common trait of the school system, to care more about how the appearances they keep than they do the issues themselves.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2657 on: November 25, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2658 on: November 27, 2020, 11:43:21 AM »
Happy  day after Thanksgiving, peeps.

We had to spend some time to get Jenna's dad to understand that we weren't going to be spending Thanksgiving with him this year,. Even if it were an outside event. One big reason is the fact that his fiance just took a vacation to Mexico for a week a few weeks ago. So instead they offered to package some food up for us, which Jenna picked up while she was out working. I spent most of the day home. It was interesting since I'm so used to working like a 12 hour shift on Thanksgivings.

The closest thing to work I had was checking in on my best friend's Golden Retriever (Weiland) a few times a day, while they are in North Dakota for a big family gathering ( I won't go into how fucking pissed at them I am)...  Especially since they left him alone after they've had someone home almost all day every day since March. He's a good boy and all he wants to do is play fetch.

How's everyone doing?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2659 on: November 27, 2020, 01:58:39 PM »
Just chillin.  Work's been reasonably slow yesterday and today.