Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 284900 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #2590 on: November 05, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »
I never liked guacamole until we were at a restaurant in LA and they made it right there at our table. Thought "damn, might as well give it a shot, considering I've never had a condiment prepared right at my table before."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2591 on: November 05, 2020, 06:40:06 PM »
Fresh guac is bomb.   Three fresh avocados, a plum tomato diced, a half an onion diced, chopped cilantro, juice of a full lemon, a clove of garlic, salt, and (if it's your thing) some cayenne pepper.

Cayenne?  I consulted my wife (who is both Texan and a food professional) for a ruling on this, and she expressed skepticism.  It would normally be a minced serrano pepper (or jalapeno).  That said, excellent call on the lemon juice instead of lime juice...I find that the lime can tend to be a little sharp and overwhelm the more subtle flavor of the avocado.  Also, texture is super important; it's critical to leave some bigger chunks of avocado intact, instead of bringing the whole thing to the uniform texture of baby food...I think that's why some people think they don't like guac, is because many people/places try to make it too smooth.

Also, you mentioned leftovers...I'm unfamiliar with the concept of leftover guac.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2592 on: November 05, 2020, 07:35:33 PM »
The subject of TV commercials comes up every now and then and I think this one is really clever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Uqw5JMkeo
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2593 on: November 06, 2020, 01:07:46 PM »
hello nerds

Just popping my head in to say I'm alive.

I feel guilty when I don't post for a while :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2594 on: November 06, 2020, 01:13:14 PM »
Hello California nerd with Aqua Blue hair.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2595 on: November 06, 2020, 11:17:33 PM »
Hello California nerd with Aqua Blue hair.

Actually... It's a golden gray right now. Getting it silver, which I've been aiming for, is a lot of work and upkeep :rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2596 on: November 07, 2020, 06:34:26 AM »
Silver?! Give it time.  That happens natural!  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2597 on: November 08, 2020, 08:02:09 AM »
Fresh guac is bomb.   Three fresh avocados, a plum tomato diced, a half an onion diced, chopped cilantro, juice of a full lemon, a clove of garlic, salt, and (if it's your thing) some cayenne pepper.

Cayenne?  I consulted my wife (who is both Texan and a food professional) for a ruling on this, and she expressed skepticism.  It would normally be a minced serrano pepper (or jalapeno).  That said, excellent call on the lemon juice instead of lime juice...I find that the lime can tend to be a little sharp and overwhelm the more subtle flavor of the avocado.  Also, texture is super important; it's critical to leave some bigger chunks of avocado intact, instead of bringing the whole thing to the uniform texture of baby food...I think that's why some people think they don't like guac, is because many people/places try to make it too smooth.

Also, you mentioned leftovers...I'm unfamiliar with the concept of leftover guac.

Yeah, lemon; I made it that way by mistake once and it worked. I get lemons in our Home Fresh meals, and if they are just for garnish, I'll save them for things like this.

I do mean "cayenne"; just the red powder you get for chilis and stuff.  I'm sure I could up my game there, but I don't know enough to really do that.

As for texture, it's funny you say that; I had some avocados that weren't QUITE ripe; I did the bag thing for a day or so, but they were still a shade hard.  So I put them in the blender and it came out in a nice, creamy consistency like pudding.... and my family hated it.   "Where are the chunks?"   "Is this real avocado?"    "Did you make this or did it come out of a bag?"   I was like... ya know, make it yourself next time!    My daughter works part-time at Chipotle and she said the same thing as you:  you've GOT to leave some texture in there.   Too smooth and it almost changes the taste (makes it more bland). 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2598 on: November 09, 2020, 07:35:34 AM »
Good [time zone appropriate time of day], new and old friends.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2599 on: November 09, 2020, 07:37:14 AM »
Welcome back, Hyperplex!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2600 on: November 09, 2020, 07:37:20 AM »
Good [time zone appropriate time of day], new and old friends.

Well it's about goddamn time!   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2601 on: November 09, 2020, 07:39:36 AM »
Welcome back, Hyperplex!

In all fairness, I never actually left. Just got quiet. Sometimes, life, the universe, and everything reorders priorities.

Thanks.

Well it's about goddamn time!   :biggrin:

It's always goddamn time. :)
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2602 on: November 09, 2020, 09:21:54 AM »
Hammer Time.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2603 on: November 12, 2020, 09:39:25 AM »
They announced the layoffs this week that have been looming since August when they announced it was going to happen.  Didn't affect me or really my org at all, but it's been non stop meetings with all the C level people saying "this is the hardest thing... blah blah blah" it's getting old quick.  I get it, the business needs cutting, but the whole non stop talking to make it sound like they are so sorry just is starting to feel disingenuous now after the 6th meeting with the same leaders saying the same thing.  There's still two more of these meetings too... at least being all remote, I can just be on DTF and not need to physically be in a room and hear this over and over again.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2604 on: November 12, 2020, 09:49:05 AM »
They announced the layoffs this week that have been looming since August when they announced it was going to happen.  Didn't affect me or really my org at all, but it's been non stop meetings with all the C level people saying "this is the hardest thing... blah blah blah" it's getting old quick.  I get it, the business needs cutting, but the whole non stop talking to make it sound like they are so sorry just is starting to feel disingenuous now after the 6th meeting with the same leaders saying the same thing.  There's still two more of these meetings too... at least being all remote, I can just be on DTF and not need to physically be in a room and hear this over and over again.

Yeah... I hate disingenuous messaging to employees like this.  Just continues to reinforce that SHAREHOLDERS are always the most important constituency for most companies - not customers, not suppliers, and certainly not employees.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2605 on: November 12, 2020, 09:52:01 AM »

Yeah... I hate disingenuous messaging to employees like this.  Just continues to reinforce that SHAREHOLDERS are always the most important constituency for most companies - not customers, not suppliers, and certainly not employees.

I wouldn't feel that way if they just had one meeting about it.  It's non stop. I mean, obviously it's about the bottom line and I get that and understand that, but just stop after one meeting. 

Also, the good news, they did lay off one person that I work with and I absolutely hated working with this person.  But apparently, they didn't cut this person to cut costs, they just lumped this person in because of poor performance while the company was doing the slashes.  I feel bad for anyone getting cut during the pandemic and in general, but I can get behind cutting the people who are TERRIBLE employees.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2606 on: November 12, 2020, 10:46:19 AM »

How did you jump from an observance of forced compassion - around layoffs in the middle of COVID - to a broad-brush assumption about shareholders? 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2607 on: November 12, 2020, 10:50:43 AM »

How did you jump from an observance of forced compassion - around layoffs in the middle of COVID - to a broad-brush assumption about shareholders?

I should add I work for a very large company that is a household name, there's no doubt in my mind the bottom line is about shareholders at the end of the day.  I mean, they didn't specifically say that, but it's all about the numbers which they certainly did say.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2608 on: November 12, 2020, 11:59:26 AM »

I should add I work for a very large company that is a household name, there's no doubt in my mind the bottom line is about shareholders at the end of the day.  I mean, they didn't specifically say that, but it's all about the numbers which they certainly did say.

And I get that; but first and foremost the company has to prosper.  It's easy to point fingers at the shareholders, but the things that "entice" shareholders are also the things that a) keep the doors open so that the remaining workers can be paid; b) keep the financial structure of the company in place (financial credit rating, insurance risk, bond rating); c) keep attracting new talent to grow the company footprint, and d) allow the company the agility to continue to develop new product lines/offerings to stay competitive. I'm baffled by this idea that corporations should be paying people just for the sake of paying them.  If they are not needed to do the work, or if their performance isn't up to standards, why should they continue to be paid?  More correctly, why should the company bear that burden?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2609 on: November 12, 2020, 12:26:19 PM »

Look, I get that the number one rule/priority in business is .... stay in business.  I've been part of 'corporate america' for long enough to know that employee wellbeing (by-and-large) rarely trumps shareholder profits.  C-suite executives aren't goaled on metrics related to employees, it's on share price.  It's not an assumption.  There are very few companies that would sacrifice their EPS for more than a quarter or two in order to preserve headcount.

I'm not saying that companies like Hilton and Royal Caribbean aren't making prudent business decisions by reducing their headcount commensurate with their revenue reductions.  But I'm pretty sure I know which (three lettered) company acquired Marc's company.  They've certainly got the future growth/market opportunity, and pockets to withstand a short term blip.  When headcount reductions are pretty much solely to MAINTAIN profit expectations, or market projections, that's where my stance that shareholders>employees.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2610 on: November 12, 2020, 03:03:39 PM »
There's no difference.   Maintaining is as important as anything. 

I understand all things being equal there's a desire to see good things happen to all people, but all things aren't equal. "Maintaining" is how the company gets to ensure that the remaining 98% of the work force can still be paid. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2611 on: November 12, 2020, 03:14:16 PM »

I understand all things being equal there's a desire to see good things happen to all people, but all things aren't equal. "Maintaining" is how the company gets to ensure that the remaining 98% of the work force can still be paid.

Well, you and I see things differently on this matter.  IMO, a multi-billion dollar conglomerate with business in Technology, Telco, and Media that gasses 10,000 people to have a better chance to meet or beat their EPS guidance, or NGP growth or whatever ... by 0.1% is placing a greater priority on the interests of their shareholders, than of their employees.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2612 on: November 12, 2020, 04:34:22 PM »
remember, as they stated in a meeting yesterday, "our severance packages are very competitive in the industry"   :-\

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2613 on: November 13, 2020, 06:39:12 AM »

Well, you and I see things differently on this matter.  IMO, a multi-billion dollar conglomerate with business in Technology, Telco, and Media that gasses 10,000 people to have a better chance to meet or beat their EPS guidance, or NGP growth or whatever ... by 0.1% is placing a greater priority on the interests of their shareholders, than of their employees.

I see it as doing both at the same time.  We can agree to disagree.  Certainly, my point is an option, and a viable one, as compared to the position that some - including some here at DTF - take, namely that corporations exist only to fuck their employees as frequently and as hard as they can.  I'm really just hoping to temper this notion of corporations as sentient beings with purposeful intents (that always seem to neatly feed the underlying political agenda of the observer).

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2614 on: November 13, 2020, 07:09:00 AM »
In the wake of the pandemic, my company, which deals almost exclusively with non-profits for fundraising marketing, has experienced almost unbelievable growth in the wake of COVID. With many non-profits unable to conduct their typical in-person and public fundraising events, their foci have shifted almost exclusively on direct marketing, and we have had 6 of our biggest clients increase their marketing buys anywhere from 300-500%, which has resulted in ridiculous year over year growth for us. We moved remote in March, with only essential warehouse and production floor personnel working in reduced, staggered shifts, and essential shared services employees on divided days. While the office officially "reopened" back in July, the company has embraced all remote work and we have all been given the option to remain remote as long as we feel it appropriate. We've gone on a hiring spree, as my company, and the parent organization, has increased investments in all areas, including extra custodial staff, increased wages for cleaning staff, and new and burgeoning positions.

Two weeks ago in our company town hall, the president announced that there are discussions taking place to increase benefits packages in the wake of our growth, and stressed to everyone that job security is real and no one's role will be diminished in any way. My one-year is next week. It feels like forever and yesterday.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2615 on: November 13, 2020, 09:27:24 AM »
So I just found out that Suspect208, a new band formed by the sons of rock royalty Slash, Robert Trujillo and Scott Weiland,  released their debut single.

Holy crap.  Crazy that their all friends. It sounds like STP a little.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: November 13, 2020, 09:43:41 AM »

We are laying off betwen 30k-50k people at my company and they refer to it as "displacements".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2617 on: November 14, 2020, 08:15:30 AM »
Yo, DTFeres, hope everyone is doing well!  :tup :tup

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2618 on: November 14, 2020, 08:41:13 AM »
Yo, DTFeres, hope everyone is doing well!  :tup :tup

Someone had some mango this morning!   :lol  Stick around man.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2619 on: November 14, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »
I'm just glad the sun is out today.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2620 on: November 14, 2020, 11:49:21 AM »

It's beautiful out today over here.  Was drinking my morning coffee and had a squirel run directly at me carrying a peanut, but it scared the shit out of me which lead to it dropping the peanut right in front of me  :lol exciting day

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2621 on: November 15, 2020, 03:57:46 PM »

The sun is out everyday. It's just blocked by the clouds sometimes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2622 on: November 15, 2020, 05:44:30 PM »

It's beautiful out today over here.  Was drinking my morning coffee and had a squirel run directly at me carrying a peanut, but it scared the shit out of me which lead to it dropping the peanut right in front of me  :lol exciting day

Did you eat it?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2623 on: November 15, 2020, 06:01:10 PM »

Did you eat it?

It's still sitting on my patio

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2624 on: November 15, 2020, 06:30:20 PM »
Shit ton of rain and win here today.  Tons of flooding... thankfully we're fare enough away from the shores of Lake Erie to be a concern for us.  Very thankful to have a generator, we lost power twice, for a total of about 3 hours.  Luckily, the Cable/Internet box is on the breaker that runs thru the generator.