Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 288317 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #2380 on: August 26, 2020, 07:41:43 AM »
Am I the only person who remembers her?

Yeah, I remember her as well.  There's lots of people we could say "what happened to", or "why'd they leave".  Faye comes to mind as well.  Sigz, Seneca, Scrop, Ultimetalhead, Zeltar, Ravenhead.... lots of names lost in the aether.  Which leads to a bit of a morbid thought... I mean, DTFrs aren't immortal.  The only one I know of that passed was ViolentGreen, but there's a reasonable chance he isn't the only one.   :-\

I'm still wondering about the guy who went to Mt Everest and never reported back to his thread.

That's RIGHT!  That wasn't that long ago. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2381 on: August 26, 2020, 09:06:30 AM »
My Cart post was removed from the DTF Facebook group because...."Not related to DT". But I have seen many posts that are related to the Forums not get remove.

It really is The Great Debate.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2382 on: August 26, 2020, 09:33:15 AM »
My Cart post was removed from the DTF Facebook group because...."Not related to DT". But I have seen many posts that are related to the Forums not get remove.

It really is The Great Debate.

Well the cart thread here did get shutdown too, censorship!  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2383 on: August 26, 2020, 02:18:44 PM »
I miss Zeltar's daily "good morning" posts. :lol
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:46:31 PM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2384 on: August 26, 2020, 02:40:02 PM »

Yeah, I remember her as well.  There's lots of people we could say "what happened to", or "why'd they leave".  Faye comes to mind as well.  Sigz, Seneca, Scrop, Ultimetalhead, Zeltar, Ravenhead.... lots of names lost in the aether.  Which leads to a bit of a morbid thought... I mean, DTFrs aren't immortal.  The only one I know of that passed was ViolentGreen, but there's a reasonable chance he isn't the only one.   :-\

I'm still wondering about the guy who went to Mt Everest and never reported back to his thread.

Dude from New Jersey, right?  The Trooper.  I think someone had looked at the missing/deceased list last year, and couldn't find any 52 year old Americans up to May '19.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2385 on: August 26, 2020, 02:44:53 PM »
Yea, but who knows if he is truly from NJ

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53649.0

there's the thread.  The thing is, I think someone fits his age who died in Everest but they listed that person from Denver which Trooper said he was going to first.  Who knows, the timing and silence is very eery.  I hope he's all well, but given all the people who died at Everest last year, it seems very possible sadly.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2386 on: August 26, 2020, 03:02:15 PM »
Yea, but who knows if he is truly from NJ

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53649.0

there's the thread.  The thing is, I think someone fits his age who died in Everest but they listed that person from Denver which Trooper said he was going to first.  Who knows, the timing and silence is very eery.  I hope he's all well, but given all the people who died at Everest last year, it seems very possible sadly.

Quick scan of his posts suggest he did live in the NY/NJ area.  Only two American deaths - 55 year old from Sandy, Utah; 62 year old from Boulder, Colorado.  Doesn't seem to fit Trooper's profile info.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2387 on: August 27, 2020, 03:53:14 PM »

Let's remember that the list of people died on the mountain is public. None of the americans died matched his age and location.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2388 on: August 27, 2020, 05:13:07 PM »
No I remember her too.

Her forum profile: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?action=profile;u=4756

Was she the one whos avatar was someone wearing Converse with their feet up ( from memory ) ?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2389 on: August 30, 2020, 06:45:29 AM »
Wow looks like there is a pretty serious internet outage in my area, fortunately DTF is still up

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2390 on: August 30, 2020, 05:27:44 PM »
Good evening folks.
Yesterday Jenna and I decided to drive down to the middle of the middle of nowhere, to check out Slab City out on the ass end of the Salton Sea.

Slab City is an "anarchy" town built by squatters, druggies, artists, free spirits or whatever else you want to call them outside of Niland,CA. It originally was a Marine base that was decommissioned and sold to the state. There's nothing there but... Slabs of concrete where structures stood. Its been built up with trailers, handmade shelters, etc. Like a giant homeless encampment that's been allowed to thrive (not the best way to describe it but it fits.) They have their own library, hostel, bars, etc. Some really cool art installations as well.

It was 111° when we got there, hot enough that our phones wouldn't stay on long enough to take a lot of photos at the first spot we stopped at there( Salvation Mountain. Basically a giant jesusy mural painted on the the landscape as well as some precarious structures.) We got smart and carried an ice pack to stash our phones on in a bag between photos.  The second and only other spot we stopped at, "East Jesus", which is a commune of sever different artists, who actually bought the section of land they're on and are registered as a museum. Pretty cool place. Strong messaging. The dogs weren't having the heat (neither were the humans), so we cut things short. It was a 500 mile round trip and totally worth it. I'll post some photos to FB and on here in a bit.

Also if anyone is ever driving along Interstate 10 between LA and Palm Springs, there's a little taco stand along the entrance to the Morongo Indian Reservation called Crazy Coyote Tacos..highly recommended! Lmao
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: August 30, 2020, 05:29:40 PM »
When I went to Death Valley last year, I had a similar issue with the heat and my phone automatically turning off from high heat.  That sounds like a pretty cool place, glad to see you're having some fun and doing interesting stuff.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2392 on: August 30, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »
It's funny, death Valley came up a few times when we were talking about possible places to go on road trips over the next few months. She did not like the idea I'm going out to the desert. Yet the place she picked yesterday middle of a fucking desert lmfao.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2393 on: August 30, 2020, 06:34:35 PM »
Slab City is an "anarchy" town built by squatters, druggies, artists, free spirits.... Like a giant homeless encampment that's been allowed to thrive...

I could just make the 30 minute drive down to Seattle if I wanted to experience this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2394 on: August 30, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »
I just Google Imaged Slab City. WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2395 on: September 02, 2020, 09:06:12 AM »
Anyone watching David Blaine's Youtube stunt right now? That dude is nuts.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2396 on: September 02, 2020, 03:51:48 PM »
I wasn’t. Cliffs Notes?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2398 on: September 04, 2020, 01:14:00 PM »
Good evening folks.
Yesterday Jenna and I decided to drive down to the middle of the middle of nowhere, to check out Slab City out on the ass end of the Salton Sea.

Slab City is an "anarchy" town built by squatters, druggies, artists, free spirits or whatever else you want to call them outside of Niland,CA. It originally was a Marine base that was decommissioned and sold to the state. There's nothing there but... Slabs of concrete where structures stood. Its been built up with trailers, handmade shelters, etc. Like a giant homeless encampment that's been allowed to thrive (not the best way to describe it but it fits.) They have their own library, hostel, bars, etc. Some really cool art installations as well.

It was 111° when we got there, hot enough that our phones wouldn't stay on long enough to take a lot of photos at the first spot we stopped at there( Salvation Mountain. Basically a giant jesusy mural painted on the the landscape as well as some precarious structures.) We got smart and carried an ice pack to stash our phones on in a bag between photos.  The second and only other spot we stopped at, "East Jesus", which is a commune of sever different artists, who actually bought the section of land they're on and are registered as a museum. Pretty cool place. Strong messaging. The dogs weren't having the heat (neither were the humans), so we cut things short. It was a 500 mile round trip and totally worth it. I'll post some photos to FB and on here in a bit.

Also if anyone is ever driving along Interstate 10 between LA and Palm Springs, there's a little taco stand along the entrance to the Morongo Indian Reservation called Crazy Coyote Tacos..highly recommended! Lmao

First learned about that area reading Into the Wild. Sounds like a cool place.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: September 11, 2020, 08:19:35 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2400 on: September 14, 2020, 09:46:30 PM »
Dead thread is dead.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2401 on: September 15, 2020, 09:54:02 AM »
Just had to turn the heat on in this house for the first time in awhile  :(

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: September 15, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »

Same.  It was 6C (43F) outside this morning when I woke up.  Fuck me.  Apparently the smoke from the West has wafted over, and is putting a 3C(ish) degree temp hit on us.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2403 on: September 15, 2020, 10:57:45 AM »

*Gasp*

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2404 on: September 15, 2020, 12:06:08 PM »

Same.  It was 6C (43F) outside this morning when I woke up.  Fuck me.  Apparently the smoke from the West has wafted over, and is putting a 3C(ish) degree temp hit on us.

I just grabbed my space heater from the porch and put it under my desk. I refuse to turn the heat on yet!  :lol My phone says it's 62F currently, and it was only 40F when I went for my walk this morning. I hate this time of year. My body isn't in cold weather mode yet, so I'm fucking freezing today, like shivering and everything.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2405 on: September 15, 2020, 12:11:07 PM »

I just grabbed my space heater from the porch and put it under my desk. I refuse to turn the heat on yet!  :lol My phone says it's 62F currently, and it was only 40F when I went for my walk this morning. I hate this time of year. My body isn't in cold weather mode yet, so I'm fucking freezing today, like shivering and everything.

Plus, you don't have those extra layers of insulation that you used to have!  (that's a compliment).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2406 on: September 15, 2020, 12:24:20 PM »

Plus, you don't have those extra layers of insulation that you used to have!  (that's a compliment).

Very true  :tup

Luckily my whole house isn't an ice box, just the office. My office is the last room in the house to see sunlight. The front porch (enclosed), dining room, and living room are all a good 7 or 8 degrees (F) warmer than my office as I type this. It's good in the summer when I'm trying to stay cool, but it sucks in the winter when I'm trying to warm up. My entire downstairs (6 rooms) is all controlled by a single thermostat (in the dining room). It makes it really hard to heat the house evenly. If I want to warm up the office, I have to crank the shit out of the thermostat to compensate for the dining room being so much warmer. The space heater really comes in handy in that regard. I can keep just the office warm without having to heat the rest of the house for no reason.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2407 on: September 15, 2020, 12:30:20 PM »
I hear ya.  Our basement is routinely about 6F colder than the rest of the house - that's with the vents closed in the summer to prevent the AC from pumping cold air in, and we close  most of the vents on the main floor to prevent too much hot air coming in during the winter.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2408 on: September 15, 2020, 12:53:39 PM »
The benefit of a small house, I don't really have temperature issues throughout it.  It's fairly consistent other than the basement which is cooler.  Now that it's mid afternoon, it's pretty nice out but still a bit chilly.  I actually really like this weather though, just seemed like a surprise how quick it came on, but maybe the smoke from the west is the culprit like Jingle said.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2409 on: September 17, 2020, 01:42:50 AM »
Good evening folks.

Very fascinating! yeah, I did google that as well, weird and unusual stuff!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2410 on: September 20, 2020, 06:32:10 PM »
Saw my parents tonight for the first time since Christmas, they drove up from Florida because my little sister has been struggling a bit lately so they wanted to come up and give a hand, plus see everyone.  It was a very nice evening with family that I haven't been able to experience in a long time. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2411 on: September 20, 2020, 07:33:42 PM »
That's awesome Marc!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2412 on: September 20, 2020, 08:02:27 PM »
Saw my parents tonight for the first time since Christmas, they drove up from Florida because my little sister has been struggling a bit lately so they wanted to come up and give a hand, plus see everyone.  It was a very nice evening with family that I haven't been able to experience in a long time. 

That sounds really nice. How long of a drive is that?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: September 20, 2020, 09:00:40 PM »

Very cool! :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2414 on: September 21, 2020, 07:23:11 AM »

It's that time of year again.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.