Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 288709 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #2310 on: August 09, 2020, 06:18:16 AM »
Just felt my first ever earthquake, what a crazy feeling

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2311 on: August 09, 2020, 11:36:08 AM »
I remember feeling the Nisqually Earthquake in 2001 (6.8). Was literally finishing packing and getting ready to head to the airport for a trip (which did not happen since the tower was damaged). Definitive a surreal experience, seeing the walls move and all that. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2312 on: August 09, 2020, 11:44:28 AM »
At first I thought it was a low flying plane. We live close to the airport so if weather is bad planes will change their approach and fly lower which causes some dishes to rattle. The house just started swaying and I'm sitting there confused. Explains why my cat was going nuts 5 minutes before.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2313 on: August 09, 2020, 05:20:22 PM »
Explains why my cat was going nuts 5 minutes before.

Crazy how animals have that sense.  I only experienced one small earthquake in NJ like 7 years ago while I was at work, and I just got dizzy for a second, followed by a moment of confusion (like you don't understand the sensation you are feeling), and then I looked around and everyone else realized that moment that it was an earth quake and I ran as fast as I could out of the building  :lol  I think I was the first out too.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2314 on: August 10, 2020, 05:07:00 AM »
:lol you weren't pushing heads out the way were you?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2315 on: August 10, 2020, 05:11:43 AM »
Crazy how animals have that sense.  I only experienced one small earthquake in NJ like 7 years ago while I was at work, and I just got dizzy for a second, followed by a moment of confusion (like you don't understand the sensation you are feeling), and then I looked around and everyone else realized that moment that it was an earth quake and I ran as fast as I could out of the building  :lol  I think I was the first out too.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2316 on: August 10, 2020, 05:34:55 AM »
That's exactly what I was thinking of

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2317 on: August 10, 2020, 05:45:44 AM »
That's exactly what I was thinking of

Naturally!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2318 on: August 10, 2020, 08:52:01 AM »
 :lol not exactly that being there wasn't enough people to have to push out of the way, but not far off in terms of just being frantic.  I did not let the women out first for example, i beat them all to the door

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2319 on: August 10, 2020, 11:31:32 AM »
https://youtu.be/_u1cbZTwBx4

"Then who would lead? The clown?!"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2320 on: August 10, 2020, 01:01:26 PM »
Big company wide meeting this morning, 800 people being laid off.  None in my area of the company, but still kind of alarming especially when the CEO uses the word "painful" at least 15 times in the first 5 minutes of his opening of the meeting.  Great way to start a week...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2321 on: August 10, 2020, 01:04:14 PM »
Yikes!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2322 on: August 10, 2020, 01:57:35 PM »
Ouch. We had a meeting a few weeks back where we need to save "$10 billion in resources", meaning layoffs.

Did they give you any more details Cram like if 800 is just the first round?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2323 on: August 10, 2020, 02:03:44 PM »
Ouch. We had a meeting a few weeks back where we need to save "$10 billion in resources", meaning layoffs.

Did they give you any more details Cram like if 800 is just the first round?

My boss said this is the first round and then they will reassess in 4-6 weeks.  It's very unlikely this impacts me directly at all given my specific job, but the later rounds could hit our org and be a little more close to home than this round.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2324 on: August 10, 2020, 05:03:08 PM »
At first I thought it was a low flying plane. We live close to the airport so if weather is bad planes will change their approach and fly lower which causes some dishes to rattle. The house just started swaying and I'm sitting there confused. Explains why my cat was going nuts 5 minutes before.

One day I was riding my motorbike and I swear I thought a plane was crashing over head - I looked around and a Ferrari screamed past me. I could hear that thing for the next few miles at least.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2325 on: August 14, 2020, 01:39:18 PM »
T-Minus 1 hour until VACATION!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2326 on: August 14, 2020, 01:40:49 PM »
Nice King!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2327 on: August 14, 2020, 01:45:40 PM »
One day off in 2020 so these 2 weeks are much needed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2328 on: August 14, 2020, 01:47:23 PM »
I'm jealous!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2329 on: August 15, 2020, 03:01:29 AM »
Wazzzup nerdz?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2330 on: August 15, 2020, 06:25:14 AM »
Nothing much duder, what's happenign with you?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2331 on: August 15, 2020, 06:26:05 AM »
Oh dear.  This heat wave in Cali is the worst I've been in for a long time now.  For some reason, I only had five hours of sleep and can't go back to sleep and opted to just be on the computer doing the usual stuff.  I probably will fall back to sleep in like 6 hours.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2332 on: August 15, 2020, 09:04:07 AM »
It’s a glorious 27C here right now, and mostly clear skies. Gonna vacuum the pool, and chill the fuck out.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2333 on: August 15, 2020, 09:07:43 AM »
It's 25C here but cloudy and muggy as shit. Just a few months before that fall air comes in.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2334 on: August 16, 2020, 06:20:19 AM »
We're expecting a week of 100°+ (38C) this week. That doesn't happen here in August very often. I'll be hiding indoors a bit more than I like.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2335 on: August 16, 2020, 06:24:59 AM »
Woke up to take the dog and it's 18C outside, this is the coolest it's been for a couple of months and while it's still humid it felt refreshing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2336 on: August 16, 2020, 06:43:14 AM »
We had some heavy thunderstorms in the area last night. Lost power for about 45 mins .... it was the first chance to see if our new generator (old one crapped out) kicked in properly. It did. And as it turns out, the outlet for the PS4 is on the generator. Jingle.son was pleased.  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2337 on: August 16, 2020, 06:46:55 AM »
We had some heavy thunderstorms in the area last night. Lost power for about 45 mins .... it was the first chance to see if our new generator (old one crapped out) kicked in properly. It did. And as it turns out, the outlet for the PS4 is on the generator. Jingle.son was pleased.  :lol

:lol

I would be too!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2338 on: August 16, 2020, 06:57:32 AM »

:lol

I would be too!

I would be as well

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2339 on: August 16, 2020, 12:25:23 PM »
Sold the GF's car yesterday. Couple drove out from Barstow )
(2 hours or more depending on traffic... And fires) in the heat. Woman was buying it for her daughter, and has had "a lot of experience with PT Cruisers". Didn't even take it for a test drive. Looked it over for 10 min, gave.my GF the exact asking price in cash, and took off.

I feel like if we were asking more she still would have jumped on it. It was in good condition, 103k miles, and it's a rarer version. Oh well.

Now today we're going in to look at cars for her. Probably leaning toward a. Kia Soul, as there seem to be a ton of them on the market  (end of life from rental service mainly). It would make for good haggling, but since Covid and we have our dog, she's going to be going a it alone. It's not that I don't trust her... But being a female who doesn't know much about cars... She's a target.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2340 on: August 16, 2020, 08:09:18 PM »
Kia Soul is a great car. My parents-in-law got one about a year and a half ago and have since put 30k miles on it with no issues. One thing that really pissed me off is I found a Kia Soul that was the color they wanted with the options and I negotiated a great deal for them only for them to go an buy another one with less options and they paid sticker for it. They are so goddamn stubborn, last time I try to help with anything.

Sorry lost myself at the end there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2341 on: August 16, 2020, 08:10:29 PM »
My Kia Sedona has 268k on it, and has been driven to Florida about 20 times.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2342 on: August 18, 2020, 12:16:35 AM »
Welp. We (technically she, but combine finances so we) are the proud owners of a 2016 Honda CRV SE.  She had an appointment with a dealer to look at a used Soul, but after dealing with the sketchy used car salesman over the phone , she decided to flake on the dude. She wound up falling in love with a little Prius C, but it had higher mileage, and the interior was pretty obviously smoked in for most of those 80k miles. Wouldn't have been a deal breaker if they would have been willing to negotiate a price but they didn't seem interested in selling her that or any other car. So she wound up and a 3rd dealer to look at a CRV, which was at the top end of what she wanted to spend, but in the end I think she did good. Really the only issue with it is one of the wheels looks like someone introduced it to a curb in a very not nice way. It's all cosmetic, and she didn't notice it until I pointed it out after she brought it home. But it's not a big deal at all.

This is the newest nicest car either of us have ever owned.  Tis exciting!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2343 on: August 18, 2020, 06:12:44 AM »
Nice! Congrats! Getting a new car is exciting and the CRV is a great car.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2344 on: August 18, 2020, 07:03:16 AM »
Yeah, that's awesome stuff Jay.  Glad Panda did well on her outing.