Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 287780 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #2065 on: May 25, 2020, 08:17:43 AM »
RIP Jimmy Cobb. Great drummer.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2066 on: May 25, 2020, 07:21:05 PM »
RIP Jimmy Cobb. Great drummer.

I was just spinning Kind of Blue last night...

:millahhhh
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:42:01 PM by millahh »
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2067 on: May 25, 2020, 07:25:10 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2068 on: May 26, 2020, 05:42:37 PM »
Work - check.
Food shopping - check.
2 AC's in the windows - check.
Drinking a beer - check.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2069 on: May 26, 2020, 05:44:01 PM »
AC's already?

I guess food shopping gets you all warm. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2070 on: May 26, 2020, 06:03:09 PM »
You do you old bas. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2071 on: May 26, 2020, 06:46:06 PM »
 :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2072 on: May 26, 2020, 07:12:15 PM »
It was almost 90F here today. House got up to 85F. We caved and turned the AC on to cool the house down overnight, as it’s just going to be hotter tomorrow.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2073 on: May 26, 2020, 07:21:29 PM »
It was hot out today. I was working outside most of the day. We kept out windows closed and the house stayed cool.

Then it cooled down big time, and we opened the windows to let the cool air in.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2074 on: May 26, 2020, 07:30:28 PM »
Around here, there was absolutely no airflow. Yesterday was mid 80s, but breezy. The house only got to 75. Today, stagnant.  It’s supposed to go back to normal seasonality by the weekend.

Gonna open the pool on Saturday. Should’ve done that last weekend. Would’ve been nice for this week.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2075 on: May 26, 2020, 07:31:10 PM »
I don't like those newfangled iceboxes. I like the old fashioned way.

Btw, my brother is just like you.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2076 on: May 27, 2020, 08:52:31 AM »
My AC can set a max and min temp and it will do heat or AC based on the house temp.  But I've had it off for the last week or so.  It's been high 60s, low 70s most days lately and it's nice to just leave the windows open.  Plus my cat loves it.  It'll get hot soon enough to be blasting the AC most of the time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2077 on: May 27, 2020, 09:13:58 AM »
This is my favorite time of year.  Windows wide open, breeze, perfect temp...  too bad it only lasts about 12 days, tops.  Thanks, Obama global warming.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: May 27, 2020, 09:19:48 AM »
Yup, not only is it a perfect temperature, but it also means lower heating/cooling bills for the month which I also really like  :metal

Speaking of, people at work have been trying to get the company to cover the costs of cooling their homes while working from home as their home expenses have gone up from being there all the time. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2079 on: May 27, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »
That seems... sketch to me.  Should work cut pay because of the gas and dry cleaning savings?   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2080 on: May 27, 2020, 09:45:07 AM »
That seems... sketch to me.  Should work cut pay because of the gas and dry cleaning savings?

Yea, I think its asking a lot.  Some people take for granted how good this company has been to us during these times.  I'm happy to still have my job.  I'm not paying to commute so much anymore, that defintily offsets higher home costs, I think (I guess the summer will be more telling).  People were asking to expense desks and chairs too.  But they will only allow it if you have a medical condition. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2081 on: May 29, 2020, 02:36:38 PM »
Took Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday off so I have a 5-day weekend coming up. I can't wait.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2082 on: May 29, 2020, 06:02:18 PM »
Speaking of, people at work have been trying to get the company to cover the costs of cooling their homes while working from home as their home expenses have gone up from being there all the time. 

Those people are the Karens of the workplace. Saves money on gas, doesn't lose time by commuting, still wants company to give them stuff. Are these people living on the sun? Is that why their utility costs are up so high by being home  all day? Do they piss every hour, jacking up their sewer bill?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2083 on: June 01, 2020, 04:54:20 AM »

Those people are the Karens of the workplace. Saves money on gas, doesn't lose time by commuting, still wants company to give them stuff. Are these people living on the sun? Is that why their utility costs are up so high by being home  all day? Do they piss every hour, jacking up their sewer bill?

Uh... cities? I work with people that live three blocks over from our building. They have no commute bill whatsoever. Having to run AC for an extra 8 hours a day adds up almost immediately. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: June 01, 2020, 10:07:29 AM »

Uh... cities? I work with people that live three blocks over from our building. They have no commute bill whatsoever. Having to run AC for an extra 8 hours a day adds up almost immediately. 

I didn't intend to imply it was negligible. I just do not think it is comparable to the other side of the equation though (stable employment, flexibility of working from home, potential tax benefits...), and asking for compensation is a little.... eh, just rubs me the wrong way (me being someone who has wanted to work from home his whole life, is currently furloughed due to mandated state shut down).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2085 on: June 07, 2020, 05:53:47 AM »
Took Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday off so I have a 5-day weekend coming up. I can't wait.

You're still at work ? What do you do ?

I technically have a job ( Hospitality / Waiter ) . . and I still receive full pay but work is closed for now.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2086 on: June 07, 2020, 07:07:59 AM »
Yea but I'm working from home now, our office is closed until July 31 at least.  I basically work to ensure the bank follows and addresses regulatory issues in a timely manner through our technology tools.

How long are things closed for? We are slowly opening up here.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 06:51:10 AM by ReaperKK »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2087 on: June 08, 2020, 07:23:12 AM »
I've done both for years now; from about 2000 to about 2006, I was in an office.  From 2006 to about 2008 I was home, full time.  From about 2008 to about 2012, office.   Home until 2015, then office for about a year, maybe less, and then home full time since.   

I don't see an overall windfall to the budget either way.  AC?   Okay, but potential tax benefits, no "lunch" every day, no gasoline or dry cleaning.  I've got my cynical AF hat on now, but that to me is typical, myopic one-issue thinking that we have in abundance in our society today.  Sounds to me like free copies of Elton John's album "The Big Picture" would be a great thing.    (I'm kidding, of course, but it IS a great album that has nothing to do with this conversation other than the title.)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2088 on: June 09, 2020, 06:47:13 AM »
I love working from home. The amount of money I'm saving is bananas, I'm tempted in cancelling my garage parking at the office, I only hesitate because I was on a 3 year waiting list to get in there.

I've been thinking that if we did move to a work from home model, what happens to the downtown buildings. Here in charlotte we have 5 WF office builings, they are massive and employ 20k+ people. What happens with all that space.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2089 on: June 09, 2020, 07:57:54 AM »
It'll get reused/repurposed.  Not EVERY job can be done from home, and I think you'll find that the higher one goes up the chain, the less the "work at home" model works.   There are also benefits to the "we're all getting in a room and no one is leaving until we have a deal" negotiation model.   

I know in Philly, it was the opposite problem; they were turning office space into residential space at such a rate they didn't have room.  I can see something like that in a city like Charlotte.  This is a great (potential) example of unintended consequences; some cities, if they lose that in-place work force, it will have a ripple effect (restaurants, living space, etc. etc.)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2090 on: June 10, 2020, 03:50:06 PM »
Well fuck.  Saturday I got a text from my father that he's in the hospital, and we ended up speaking for about 30 minutes.... really nice and pleasant conversation.  He'd been in for a week, after some very significant leg pain and swelling for some time.  Doctors still hadn't been able to diagnose or treat him.  I texted with him Monday, still no resolution.

Then I get a call this morning from my brother to tell me he passed away early this morning.

Fuck

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2091 on: June 10, 2020, 03:56:39 PM »
I'm so sorry Chad. I know things haven't been the best with him but I know it still hurts. Lisa and I are thinking of you and your family. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2092 on: June 10, 2020, 04:30:51 PM »
Damn. I remember your post in the (probably) Covid19 Therese about how you reached out to family members and didn't receive much of a response. I know no family is perfect and those that get along are seem to be getting more rare. Hopefully your final conversation was pleasant, and leaves you with as positive a feeling as possible under the circumstances.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2093 on: June 10, 2020, 04:31:33 PM »
Holy shit, Chad. I'm so, so sorry, brother. hug.gif :( :( :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2094 on: June 10, 2020, 05:03:24 PM »
oh no, I'm really sorry Chad  :(

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2095 on: June 10, 2020, 07:39:43 PM »
A big hug, Chad.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2096 on: June 11, 2020, 05:54:04 AM »
Sorry, Chad! Partially estranged or not, that's got to hurt. :hug:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2097 on: June 11, 2020, 07:13:16 AM »
Chad, I can't even imagine; I'm sorry for your loss.   

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2098 on: June 11, 2020, 07:40:08 AM »
I'm so sorry for your loss, Chad.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2099 on: June 11, 2020, 08:19:55 AM »
Oh I'm terribly sorry for your loss, Chad... *hugs*
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.