Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 284857 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #1995 on: March 29, 2020, 04:51:10 AM »
Thank you, guys. Apparently, a local news station caught wind of this and interviewed my son-in-law this after noon. The story will appear on the news tomorrow.

A loving family shows it through generations Gregg. You should be proud if them.

I guess I could claim pride, if I had anything to do with the outcome, Joe. It's all on them, of course, their awesome in spite of the old man.

Fixed, to make appropriate use of the wrong they’re/their.  :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1996 on: March 29, 2020, 05:22:41 AM »
I think a loving family passes on the good traits.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1997 on: March 29, 2020, 06:08:31 AM »
Fixed, to make appropriate use of the wrong they’re/their. :biggrin:

:blush

So embarrassing. Thanks for the assist, Chad.

Joe, I think you are right, to a degree. A small degree.

I've always guarded against taking too much pride in my children's accomplishments because there is so much about them and their lives/decisions that are out of my control...and rightly so. Why? Because of the lessons I learned from the mistakes my parents made. My mother, especially, wanted to heep blame on herself because I didn't turn out the way she wanted me too. Rather than celebrate my accomplishments, she chose to focus on her perception of my shortcomings and take the blame. The problem is that all the places that I lack (in her worldview) are informed choices that I made as an adult. Just so as not to be mysterious, these are all religion issues.

Anyway, I've always found it best to remember that adult children make their own choices. To celebrate their definition of success with them. To be there for a listening ear or a open wallet in their times of struggle. If they themselves give me credit for being a good example, I'll take it. But pride...I'm not too keen. I prefer to say that I am very happy for them.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1998 on: March 29, 2020, 06:14:02 AM »
100% correct. You can only show them how to be.  It's up to them to continue that.  That being said, it you never show them the skills to do so, they never we have the opportunity to do so.

My nephew and niece came from a broken home, whose parents were broken.  They never learned any skills.

My nephew turned to a life of crime and drugs and never wants to have the hard battle to go legit.

My niece is broken with relationships.

The stories I could tell.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1999 on: March 30, 2020, 03:21:47 PM »
Advice needed (not looking for legal advice, just wisdom from those with more experience)

Manager (who laid me off) is offering me 20 hrs a week, working from home, packaging boxes that we ship out.

I feel almost as if saying no to this would hurt my job once this is all over and I would be getting an invite to get back to my normal work.. I live in a tiny studio apartment with one other person, 2 dogs, and a cat. Health issues aside (bringing boxes into my home that a bunch of people, who I know don't really take any Coronavirus precautions, I don't have the physical space to reasonably work from home, nor do I have what I'd need to print their shipping labels (I don't have a working computer to access their system).

I'm more than willing to work my job. And this is part of the job (when there is down time, seasoned workers do this on the office. I haven't even been trained on it yet)... But I don't think they can expect me to do this remotely. Am I in the wrong of I decline? I also wonder if this will hurt my unemployment, which I'm still trying to get set up. I know if I take it, it will lower my weekly unemployment, but there's a diminishing return. Where I won't be able to collect any based on the income I'd be bringing in, but it would still only be half of what I was making. But if I decline, will I be screwed when it comes to unemployment all together?

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2000 on: March 30, 2020, 05:37:32 PM »
Fuck it. Took the hours. I don't have to worry about labels and shipping. It's just bundling brochures together for 4 hours a day.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: March 30, 2020, 07:32:23 PM »
Glad we could help.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2002 on: March 31, 2020, 07:05:37 AM »
Glad we could help.

:tup  We're here for you, Jay.  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2003 on: March 31, 2020, 08:37:58 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2004 on: March 31, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »
Lol. My manager basically told me if I decline, it will be on record that I'm declining work.

And for some reason, my unemployment claim is basing my numbers off of my claim from 2016, when i had made much less money. Calling them is useless... I sit on hold for 40 min then get a message telling me there's no one to take my call. If I don't get this figured out... I'll be making half of what I would have been making on CA + Fed unemployment, which would have been, after taxes, a tad more than I made working this job full time. 8ts going to be interesting.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: April 04, 2020, 08:10:33 AM »
Going to be busy today, installing an irrigation system at our house.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2006 on: April 04, 2020, 04:28:40 PM »
Awesome day, today.   Started with a hot cup of coffee and a little Led Zeppelin (I ripped the "DVD" Disk Two to my network drive). Then went out, cleaned the garage a little, removed the transmission from my Jeep, and all prepped to change the clutch and put it all back together (hopefully tomorrow).

Then, a nice hot shower with side one of Journey's Escape blaring on the Bose. 

Now, to plan a dinner that puts the cap on it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2007 on: April 06, 2020, 08:54:14 AM »
Saturday afternoon, my wife and I enjoyed a spirited game of UNO with my youngest (17yo) on our screened-in porch, with some cocktails and a cigar, with a fun playlist going on Spotify.  The weather was great, and great fun was had.

Last night, I fired up the grill for some New York strips.

As crazy as things are right now, we are very blessed.  Life, for us at least, is good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2008 on: April 06, 2020, 08:56:32 AM »
Saturday afternoon, my wife and I enjoyed a spirited game of UNO with my youngest (17yo) on our screened-in porch, with some cocktails and a cigar, with a fun playlist going on Spotify.  The weather was great, and great fun was had.

Last night, I fired up the grill for some New York strips.

As crazy as things are right now, we are very blessed.  Life, for us at least, is good.

We've been lucky too. We have also literally played UNO with our kids almost every night for the last 2 weeks. We even ordered Flip Uno.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2009 on: April 06, 2020, 09:05:53 AM »
Nice, glad to see your families making the best of this.  I can also say, I am not having any real issues.  Job is going so I'm getting paid and actually not spending anything so this may end up working out much better for my bank account than going to a concert every other week  :lol  I feel blessed myself in many ways. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: April 06, 2020, 09:16:52 AM »
I wouldn't say life is 'easy' or 'good', but for the jingle.household the pandemic hasn't been terribly disruptive.  jingle.daughter doesn't have physical classes anymore, so she's missing that interaction, but otherwise finishing her 2nd year of uni.  I've been working from home for 10 years, mrs.jingle has been a stay-at-home-mom for virtually all of our kids lives, and jingle.son has always been a bit of a hermit - lots of online friends... just like his pop.  So not a lot has changed there.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2011 on: April 06, 2020, 09:23:50 AM »
Life is definitely unusual right now. In the last month the wife and me have had the same amount of dinners at home we usually have in a whole year.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2012 on: April 06, 2020, 09:55:43 AM »
What's odd isn't the homelife, it's food shopping right now.  It changes how I look at everything outside of our homelife right now.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: April 06, 2020, 09:57:43 AM »
What's odd isn't the homelife, it's food shopping right now.  It changes how I look at everything outside of our homelife right now.

Yea, its everything outside of my home that is wild and weird. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2014 on: April 06, 2020, 11:16:47 AM »
Yep
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2015 on: April 06, 2020, 06:56:48 PM »
It's crazy that I spent my entire life growing up on the beach and spending hours and hours in the sun and in the past few years it seems I've developed a sun allergy. I was out for a sum total of 5 hours this weekend with SPF50 on and every part of my body that was exposed has sun blisters. I'm not at all sun burnt but it seems as I get older it gets worse :(

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2016 on: April 07, 2020, 07:49:45 AM »
You sure that is not something on your sunblock?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: April 07, 2020, 07:51:00 AM »
Pretty sure, it happens with or without sunblock, and it doesn't matter which sunblock I use.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2018 on: April 08, 2020, 08:58:17 AM »
To celebrate my 22,000th post, here's a pic of Kraken and Blacksmith squaring off.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: April 08, 2020, 09:55:11 AM »
Bitchin.  Guess I better start thinking about something special for 30k.

Or just trip over myself into it like Adami just did.   :biggrin:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2020 on: April 08, 2020, 11:21:07 AM »
oh damn, you are really close

25k is not too far off for me.  I actually havent looked at the post count in awhile.  Not sure it's something to be proud or ashamed of  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2021 on: April 08, 2020, 11:32:10 AM »
I crossed 20k and had no idea.  I have no doubt that my milestone post was something profound like "EDIT: Sorry, double post".   Either that or a screed on the evils of Obamacare.   One of the two. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:52:40 AM by Stadler »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2022 on: April 08, 2020, 11:34:47 AM »
Bitchin.  Guess I better start thinking about something special for 30k.

Or just trip over myself into it like Adami just did.   :biggrin:

It's not tripping. It's falling with style.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: April 08, 2020, 12:20:04 PM »
I flopped.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2025 on: April 08, 2020, 01:08:32 PM »
I'M FREE JERRY!  FREE!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: April 08, 2020, 03:25:00 PM »
Good news. As of tomorrow I'm back working full time. Still folding pamphlets at home at a snail's pace (can go through a box in 2 hours. Was told to do half a box in 4... And now will be doing a box in 8).

I have a very strong feeling they were told they could not get the forgivable business loan if I wasn't working, as they laid me off as soon as this started. And I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure one of the stipulations of the loans is they have to keep their staff fully employed. So even bringing me back at 20 hours a week wasn't enough.

No complaints here now.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: April 08, 2020, 03:32:18 PM »
Good news Jay.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2028 on: April 08, 2020, 03:49:44 PM »
Nice to see the stimulus going to someone's benefit, good stuff and who cares if its super slow.  You got a job and a pay check.  Can't ask for much more than that, and your health of course.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2029 on: April 08, 2020, 04:12:35 PM »
Okay I lied. I have one complaint. I would rather be working in the office (it's has no more than 5 people in it at a time... One person in each dept and 1 person working on shipping). There's space enough for one more person to isolate and work. I'd rather go in and do it, than bring these boxes home and do it. Not a lot of space at home, and it would be nice to spend some time away every day lol. I miss listening to podcasts. Can't do it when home with the GF.

Minor complaint really.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"