Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 285035 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #1750 on: February 03, 2020, 06:59:33 AM »
I foresee much less bitching about work in my future.

Errr......you mean just in this thread right?

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1751 on: February 03, 2020, 07:02:33 AM »
What's happening dudes?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1752 on: February 03, 2020, 07:40:22 AM »
Monday morning in the office. Settling in at a new desk, had my location moved for the 8th or 9th time in the last few years. Hopefully this one sticks for a little while :lol

At least it's a slightly short week for me, I've got the Sons of Apollo show Thursday night and then I'm off on Friday because I'm helping run my club's homebrew competition Friday and Saturday.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1753 on: February 03, 2020, 08:56:02 AM »
It's cold in my office today, and that is saying something because I am always warm. They've been replacing our HVAC for the last month and a half but I'd have thought it would be more in place by now. Today is supposed to be unseasonably mild, but right now I think it's about 58° in here. Got a lot on my mind right now and finding it very difficult to concentrate.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1754 on: February 04, 2020, 10:00:40 AM »
Just had a long talk with my boss about my current salary and what I think it should be. I gave him a number that he agreed isn't top of the market for me, but would make me happy without having to go through interviewing around to bring a top dollar offer from somewhere else to them. Will be a long wait until our next one-on-one in a week.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: February 04, 2020, 01:07:17 PM »
We are having salary discussions at the end of the month and I'm hoping for at least a 15% raise. I was promoted to a new position but did not get a bump in pay which is normal at this company. Your adjustment should come at salary discussions. There is a big target to hit though because i worked a lot of over time last year as an hourly employee and now I'm salary so i expect to be compensated for the continual overtime I'll have to do, not to mention the additional responsibilities I have. I have a gut feeling it's going to be an uncomfortable meeting because i will go into full job hunt mode if my expectations arent met. I've already did some research with other companies and I'm confident I could leave and get more money.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1756 on: February 04, 2020, 02:52:19 PM »
My boss keeps delaying our one on ones for our yearly reviews.  I've been meaning to ask about salary as well. I don't really want to make demands, but I want it to be known that a basic 3-4% increase this year may not cut it for me long term based on my responsibilities that keep piling up and the asks are more and more.  I also still want to talk about the incident that pissed me off to start the year. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1757 on: February 05, 2020, 08:21:07 AM »
Here's one: do titles matter to any of you?   I've never ever worried about "titles", I've never asked for one, nor have I ever played that "my business card says 'VP', but I'm not really an officer of the company" game.  I am an officer of two of the legal entities in my business, but my title is fairly non-descript ("Legal Counsel").   My company - in America - is basically split into two businesses, and I'm likely taking over as Counsel for the smaller of the two (it's still pretty big; >$1B).  I'm thinking for the first time in my career that I may need to negotiate a title to reflect that.  Not so much for "ego" as much for "credibility" in terms of dealing with customers and suppliers.   

Do I need to cool my jets or is this a legit concern?   

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1758 on: February 05, 2020, 08:51:54 AM »
For credibility, sure... I can see that mattering.  Functionally, I've never cared at all. Once had a boss tell someone on our team "if your title matters to you, then I can promote you to Vice Rear Admiral".

That shut the conversation down pretty quick.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1759 on: February 05, 2020, 08:59:00 AM »
Title is important.  If my title changes, from tech to engineer (which doesn't change my job, just pay structure) then I go from hourly to salary.  Engineer is definitely a better title, than "senior tech" but salary doesn't benefit me (I make my gravy by OT and even more so from travel OT) and it doesn't benefit the company to limit my hours.  This has been brought up time and time again about changing our titles to make us salary, but it never seems to go through for whatever reason.  Part of me wouldn't mind going salary if they were fair with it, such as using the past 3 year average of my total income vs. my current salary based on 40 hours.  Our new overlords have tried to limit our OT already but that keeps getting shot down as we are a very thin group and hence why I keep getting more responsibilities and have to work so much.

Having said that, apparently we are buying $3.4MM in new network gear to upgrade our entire backbone network globally... thats going to be an insane amount of work for a very small group of people  :(

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: February 05, 2020, 09:33:00 AM »
For credibility, sure... I can see that mattering.  Functionally, I've never cared at all. Once had a boss tell someone on our team "if your title matters to you, then I can promote you to Vice Rear Admiral".

That shut the conversation down pretty quick.

I'd take that title, though.  Sounds bad-ass.  ;) :)

I'm used to the GE culture which was the same approach; the only division where titles made any difference was in Capital, which dealt so heavily with the financial sector that they had to play the "business card VP" game all the time.  The running joke was that EVERYONE in Capital was a vice president on their business card, even the administrative assistants and the office staff.  In fact, the gaudier the title the more likely you got singled out or even mocked.   But now, I'm working in a company that is based outside the U.S. and things are different.  The running joke here is about the "HR Announcements"; there seems to be one or two a week, and over half of them are just people shifting titles.

It's so confusing.  I just try to keep my head down and keep plugging.  My boss is a young guy, but he's old school in that his motto is "act like you've been here before, act like you belong here now".   If you've following my discussion on Mahomes, you know that's very much my preferred way of doing business.  Not a lot of flash.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1761 on: February 05, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »
Here's one: do titles matter to any of you?   I've never ever worried about "titles", I've never asked for one, nor have I ever played that "my business card says 'VP', but I'm not really an officer of the company" game.  I am an officer of two of the legal entities in my business, but my title is fairly non-descript ("Legal Counsel").   My company - in America - is basically split into two businesses, and I'm likely taking over as Counsel for the smaller of the two (it's still pretty big; >$1B).  I'm thinking for the first time in my career that I may need to negotiate a title to reflect that.  Not so much for "ego" as much for "credibility" in terms of dealing with customers and suppliers.   

Do I need to cool my jets or is this a legit concern?   

Not really in my field. I'm currently a strategy consultant which says almost nothing about my job.

Cram you literally described my past year, my title changed went from hourly to salary with the promise of not doing the ot that I had to do only to keep doing the ot work with the ot pay.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: February 05, 2020, 02:39:25 PM »
But does that factor into a bonus at all?

That's another consideration, for the first time I'm getting a bonus one month from tomorrow that I've never received before being an hourly employee.  It might be the biggest benefit of being taken over.  But I'm wondering if my bonus payout would also be more if I were salary.  I guess someone from HR could answer these questions if I really wanted to know. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: February 05, 2020, 05:23:58 PM »
When I was hourly I was eligible for a 5% bonus, with my new position I'm eligible for 10%. I haven't had compensation discussion yet, that will be the end of the month. In OT I made over triple my bonus last year in OT though.

At my work we have a site that you can type in the position and it will spit out the salary range for that position in that region. After I got promoted I went and checked my new position and it was only a couple of thousand more than than the average pay. This is my biggest concern because if I do get that slight bump up it's not going to make up for all the OT I did and I'm going to do. We'll see.

I would definitely have a talk with HR. At my job almost all hourly wages are either no bonus or 5% max. With salary you can work up to a 20% bonus unless you are a banker which then gets additional commission based on closing Deals.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1764 on: February 06, 2020, 05:08:34 AM »
Title only matters to me in that each title has its own payscale. Right now part of my beef is that I'm doing the job of a VP (and doing it well), but only being paid like an AVP. I don't particularly care about having the VP title in and of itself, but I care about being paid appropriately and it seems like I'm gonna need the VP title for that to happen.

I started at an hourly rate, which meant I was OT eligible but not bonus eligible, and now that I'm salaried I'm bonus eligible but not OT eligible. That kind of worked out for me as the hours were longer when I started and so I made more in OT then than I do in bonus now, but the job has become much more reliably 9-6 so I make more in bonus now than I would in OT
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:49:49 AM by axeman90210 »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1765 on: February 06, 2020, 05:37:37 AM »
Title only matters to me in that each title has its own payscale. Right now part of my beef is that I'm doing the job of a VP (and doing it well), but only being paid like a VP.

Does.  Not.  Compute.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1766 on: February 06, 2020, 06:51:48 AM »
Title only matters to me in that each title has its own payscale. Right now part of my beef is that I'm doing the job of a VP (and doing it well), but only being paid like a VP.

Does.  Not.  Compute.

Damn early morning posting :lol :lol edited for accuracy. The other part of my problem is that my business line runs through Columbus, OH in North America, so my salary is lined up against the ranges for that location (the same position pays differently within the company based on cost of living). So I'm doing the job of a VP in NYC, but I'm being paid like an AVP in Ohio.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1767 on: February 06, 2020, 07:09:30 AM »

Does.  Not.  Compute.

Damn early morning posting :lol :lol edited for accuracy. The other part of my problem is that my business line runs through Columbus, OH in North America, so my salary is lined up against the ranges for that location (the same position pays differently within the company based on cost of living). So I'm doing the job of a VP in NYC, but I'm being paid like an AVP in Ohio.
That's no joke. That can be a big difference.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:38:41 AM by Stadler »

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1768 on: February 06, 2020, 07:20:20 AM »
Oh believe me I know, the markup from Columbus to NYC is about 25%, hence me talking to my boss. I gave him a number on Tuesday that (and I think he would agree) doesn't represent the top end of the market value for someone with my background and skills in this area, but would be enough to make me happy without either of us having to deal with me actively looking elsewhere (on my side I hate the application process, on their side having to match a top value offer I get or investing in replacing me). The analogy I gave was an athlete re-signing with the team that drafted him a year before he's set to hit free agency. If they can make that number happen, or something close to it, then everyone's happy. If not, I'm on the hunt and the number I gave them gets replaced by the number someone else offers me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1769 on: February 06, 2020, 09:02:44 AM »
In the past week or so at work I have:

- been handed a campaign where the precious designs by someone else were met with criticism from the client, and in one go I got approval
- been praised on my abilities and efficiency with several projects
- singlehandedly figured out and solved an absolutely infuriating network search issue my department was having.

I feel pretty good about work right now.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: February 06, 2020, 09:34:05 AM »
 :metal good stuff

Honestly am on a hot streak myself.  Last week was pretty good all around, fun concert, fun night with my new girl, psu won both bball games, found out i was getting a nice bonus... then this week psu won its biggest game, works been fairly busy but good busy and ive been super productive, dropped some weight and am borderline onto my next belt hole, had a nice dinner with girl again, and a concert tonight!  PLus I got paid today, which included a quarterly stock payout (It's not much, $420 to be exact  :hat) which is another reason to love that little bit extra even more. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1771 on: February 06, 2020, 12:22:11 PM »
And I just got massive kudos on another project. It's been a stressful time lately, so the small things help a little bit.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1772 on: February 07, 2020, 12:13:24 PM »
I got a $2500 raise yesterday. It's not a ton, but I'll take it  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1773 on: February 07, 2020, 12:27:53 PM »
I got a $2500 raise yesterday. It's not a ton, but I'll take it  :metal

I beg to differ.  That's a nice raise.  That's about a $1.30 raise.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1774 on: February 07, 2020, 12:34:30 PM »
Yea, that's still pretty solid  :yarr

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1775 on: February 07, 2020, 12:54:18 PM »
I was hoping for a promotion to senior level, but I guess my boss kind fucked that up. Apparently promotions and bonus talks happen in October, and even though my boss brought it up to my 2VP and HR, there was official paperwork that was supposed to be completed that he never filled out. Seems kind of stupid to me that promotions can only be given during a particular month, but it is what it is. If I got to senior level, I'd be able to dump my weekend job.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: February 07, 2020, 04:29:36 PM »
That really sounds dumb. I agree.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: February 07, 2020, 07:31:06 PM »
8:45pm and it was back on. Had dinner and just got home. Great timing.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1778 on: February 10, 2020, 07:09:13 PM »
So

The same time I started my bullshit with this company, there was another guy who was also supposed to be getting a position similar to mine. I was set to be positioned as more Admin and he was supposed to join the other field supervisor in the field.  Instead they did what they did to me, and left him working full time graves filling in at one of our corporate accounts.

Well they decided to finally bring him in and start training him to essentially replace me. (when I had the long convo with the owner I pushed for this, as he's GOOD.)

Today was his first day of training in the office and he TORE the account manager apart in a way I could never do (I'm not a fan of confrontation).

Day one he's bringing up the same issues I've been bringing up, but also insisted that he start to take over scheduling (apparently the account manager's boyfriend works at the account he was at and is getting preferential treatment...) he also basically called her out on other bullshit (her unprofessionalism, her tits hanging out, etc). During his training something happened and he wound up going in to fill at an account (that he's never been to before).  He called me once he was settled in and let me   know that I'm not crazy, day one he's already seeing the issues I've been talking about, and plans on being a thorn in her side as long as he's with the company.

I love it.

Also.... One week till I start the new job :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1779 on: February 10, 2020, 08:21:48 PM »
So, I'm due to talk money with my boss again tomorrow after giving him the number that would make me happy last week. What's the etiquette if he offers me a raise but it's not enough to placate me? Take the money and quietly start looking anyway? Take the money but let him know I'm still going to be looking? Don't take it and start looking?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1780 on: February 11, 2020, 06:53:57 AM »
I'd definitely take the money regardless, you can still look in the meantime while getting something more. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1781 on: February 11, 2020, 07:16:46 AM »
I'm proving myself more and more valuable and essential to my company and it's a good feeling, because they are generous, but not overly so, with feedback. I'm not due to talk money for quite a while but I am hoping their practices are such that when the time comes, they reward accordingly. Time will tell.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1782 on: February 11, 2020, 07:58:48 AM »
I'm proving myself more and more valuable and essential to my company and it's a good feeling, because they are generous, but not overly so, with feedback. I'm not due to talk money for quite a while but I am hoping their practices are such that when the time comes, they reward accordingly. Time will tell.

Do you work in a place that has you fill out annual goals and objectives? It never hurts to add in some stuff about pursuing what's required for upward mobility. It keeps the thought fresh in management's head.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1783 on: February 11, 2020, 08:16:32 AM »
Nope. It's purely performance-based, by department. My annual review won't be for quite a while (unless they have a specific review period of which I am unaware) so for the time being, I'll keep on keeping on. My compensation isn't an issue, but more is always better.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1784 on: February 11, 2020, 12:27:29 PM »
So, I'm due to talk money with my boss again tomorrow after giving him the number that would make me happy last week. What's the etiquette if he offers me a raise but it's not enough to placate me? Take the money and quietly start looking anyway? Take the money but let him know I'm still going to be looking? Don't take it and start looking?

Definitely take the money. Even if it's not what you expect it is still extra money. I wouldn't let them know you are looking though. I think it's better to play it safe and keep that to yourself.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk