Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit  (Read 289169 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: DTF Chat Thread v.BrexitMeansBrexit
« Reply #1680 on: January 21, 2020, 07:31:44 AM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1681 on: January 21, 2020, 07:35:19 AM »
Fine guys. I get it. I'm completely not needed here (at work) :lol

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: January 21, 2020, 07:40:48 AM »
It's not that at all.   But in any negotiation, one has to put themselves in the other party's shoes, and sometimes that means thought processes that don't make sense or that aren't complimentary.   

Put it this way:  would you agree that they don't fully understand how to execute your program on the ground?  Then even if you are, practically, irreplaceable, why would you expect them to even realize it if it was true?   You also have to incorporate THEIR emotion (not yours) into the equation.  Again, even if you are irreplaceable, what are the chances someone on the other side is going to adopt a "WTF, this guy.  F*** him" approach and make a bad decision regardless.

I certainly hope you do work it out, it's not personal, but these situations are NOTORIOUSLY hard for these very reasons (there are tens if not more books written on just this subject).  It's hard to do when it's YOU.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1683 on: January 21, 2020, 08:29:36 AM »
It's not that at all.   But in any negotiation, one has to put themselves in the other party's shoes, and sometimes that means thought processes that don't make sense or that aren't complimentary.   

Put it this way:  would you agree that they don't fully understand how to execute your program on the ground?  Then even if you are, practically, irreplaceable, why would you expect them to even realize it if it was true?   You also have to incorporate THEIR emotion (not yours) into the equation.  Again, even if you are irreplaceable, what are the chances someone on the other side is going to adopt a "WTF, this guy.  F*** him" approach and make a bad decision regardless.

I certainly hope you do work it out, it's not personal, but these situations are NOTORIOUSLY hard for these very reasons (there are tens if not more books written on just this subject).  It's hard to do when it's YOU.

At the risk of turning this into the career advice thread...we can assign Jay to read Getting to Yes?*  :biggrin:

(*I'm only half-joking, it was a career-changer for me, and I've assigned it to every person I've mentored, and suggested it to many other colleagues. Back when I was a people manager, I used to keep several copies on hand and would give them out like candy when folks came to me with people/team challenges)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1684 on: January 21, 2020, 08:38:30 AM »
Once I finally make the jump to leave, I want to sit down with my boss(es) and give them a list of things I've observed while working in the field at various accounts over the last 3 months. Part of my job was supposed to be to identify issues and help streamline things.

Everytime I wound up at a new (to me) account, I would ask the Post Supervisor what has been their biggest hurdle, or what is their biggest complaint. A lot of the answers revolved around the account manager not communicating, or, for lack of a better word, power tripping. I've also seen it (and have been dealing with it first hand). They also don't respect her, as she hasn't worked the field (okay she has been to a few accounts years ago but that's it). They feel that she is just sitting there barking orders from our main office, and she doesn't really understand what is going on most of the time.

Every account manager the company has had that came up from within the company, and have been loved by almost everyone, because people know they've worked the field, and even when they got promoted up, they continued to work the field when needed. The current one doesn't. I hope they see it as constructive criticism and not just me bitching. For the record I planned on bringing this all up to them anyway. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1685 on: January 21, 2020, 09:01:15 AM »
Well, good luck.  I'm certainly rooting for you, and only offered what I did to help. 

I will take the opportunity (for others) to highlight the point I was making above; namely, that if the Account Manager is sitting in the office  barking orders and "doesn't know what's going on", it's risky business to assume she's going to see any field person is "irreplaceable". 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1686 on: January 21, 2020, 09:14:56 AM »
Well she specifically thinks I'm replaceable. She doesn't like me. Didn't hire me. Can't fire me. It's all on the owners.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1687 on: January 21, 2020, 10:07:36 AM »
Another employee gave his notice today.  Way more money, can't blame him.

Another interview bites the dust.  Smoke weed, can't pass the pre hire drug test.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1688 on: January 21, 2020, 10:33:54 AM »
Joe, where do I send my resume?

Will the company pay for me to relocate? :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1689 on: January 21, 2020, 11:36:55 AM »
Another employee gave his notice today.  Way more money, can't blame him.

Another interview bites the dust.  Smoke weed, can't pass the pre hire drug test.

Nuh uh. My bros Stoner Cold Steve Austin and Blazed Bayley told me that if you like.....drink a lot of Mountain Dew before the drug test, it'll like uhhh mask the chemicals and stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1690 on: January 21, 2020, 11:37:37 AM »
thanks for the tip!  :hat  :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1691 on: January 21, 2020, 01:04:45 PM »
I don't have a problem with anyone smoking weed but If you're looking for a job, lay off of it until you get a job.  More than 50 % leave because they can't go out for a drug test.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1692 on: January 21, 2020, 01:34:14 PM »
I can't help but think that this is at least circumstantial evidence that maybe, for that person, it IS a problem and maybe ISN'T "harmless" (not a direct quote of any poster here, but an expression of a general blanket thought or idea).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1693 on: January 21, 2020, 01:39:47 PM »
Sure, if someone can't stop to pass a test and get a job, it's an issue for that person.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1694 on: January 21, 2020, 01:50:33 PM »
Well, it takes ~30 days to wash out...is it possible that some of these folks weren't expecting to be needing a pre-employment drug screen that far back (due to loss of job or other change in circumstances)?  And honestly, those that fail it, my guess would be that maybe more of them fall into the "dumb/didn't think it through" category than the "pseudo-addiction" category (since weed isn't physiologically addictive).
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: January 21, 2020, 02:33:20 PM »
Got to remember guys.  The job is an entry level physical labor job.   Unemployment in N.H. is 2.4%.  Not much to work with.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: January 21, 2020, 02:43:28 PM »
I mean... I never meant that I was irreplaceable, but it would be a pain in the ass to in the short term to find someone to deal with this. They have become BIG on cutting overtime. They're already understaffed and barely making it staffing wise with me here. Without me they are screwed unless they can hire people for these accounts I've been filling asap. Which isn't going to happen. It's already to the point where if I call in sick, they eat over and double time for the entire shift. They just don't have the staffing.

This could be said in a lot of places though.  I wouldn't confuse filling your shoes a pain in the ass with irreplaceable.  The field I work in for example was adapoted by the local government sector in 2008.  Went from a privately run buniess to locally government run.  I've been there since its inception and built everything to make a once privately run business into a self sufficient local government council department.  The changes in procedures and policies has been hard and long too.  We've also acquired more to the program, more venues and built extensions on the existing centres.  Myself and my direct boss have been there and moulded everyting to what it is today. 

We have respect from the staff and basically are the heart and soul and everything that happens, doesn't happen without us.  From an operation point, I've been that for years now.  I have the upmost respect from the staff and long term staff that have been around for years appreciate and know the work we have put in.  Now because the big boss is an egotistical credit taking prick, and I challenge him and call him out on his stupidity hates my guts and because we are more self sufficient today than ever, if I left tomorrow, while things would be very very difficult in the short term, there is simply no way it won't run.  It may not be as efficient or well operated but nevertheless it HAS to run, it won't close down if I walked away.

I use to think I was irreplaceable and felt invincible.  I've come to my own realisation that that was arrogant, irrational and egotistical thinking.  It's been a great awakening and personal learning experience.  I've had issues with my job and the lack of respect and even borderline mental struggles, this has partially been what I needed to figure out. 

I think my point is learn from their response and fully think and accept it.  Stads is right, think about from their point of view, and are they going to think the same as you?  Looks like no.  I never did this but when things were mentally getting tough I stepped back and had to look from others perspective to try and realise what was going on.  No fucking way would my boss think I'm replaceable.  He knows it's so much easier to have me and have me do everything, but he'll never admit it or beg me to stay if I decided to leave, no way.

If you move on and with your other post, definitely sit down with them and lay it all out.  They probably won't give a fuck, but it will be good for you to move on.  Good luck mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: January 23, 2020, 12:19:54 PM »
Good Morning Peeps.

I'm actually being productive today. Paying bills, renewing my Driver's License (and making sure my address is correct for the first time in like 5 years), etc. Went to pay a bill and found out the $5 and change owed was actually money they owed me. Now I get to spend 20 on hold while they issue me a refund. I tried to explain to the girl that it wasn't a big deal, but she insisted :lol

Next on my list... taxes!

Now on to work drama. They had a last minute emergency nightly shift pop up at one of our accounts (after one of our guys was almost assaulted by a transient on the property). It is literally the type of thing that they have me for, but I can't work it because I am stuck working this stupid post 5 nights a week now. They can't say they haven't been able to hire people, as I see that they have fired 3 people and hired replacements for them, all working similar shifts at accounts within 3 miles of where I have been placed. So now they are shooting themselves in the foot... because instead of just tossing myself and another Rover in, they have to scramble. Not really me complaining, but It is pretty amusing.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: January 23, 2020, 01:38:18 PM »
My work drama has mostly dried up, my boss has been super nice to me and consistently starting side friendly convos which I can't recall having in awhile.  Not that I care for small talk, but I think it's a sign of him realizing that he should treat me a little better.  At least I hope so.  I got an email saying managers should be scheduling year end performance reviews so I'm thinking whenever he wants to schedule that is a good time to bring up my concerns.  The last couple weeks have been very productive for me and mostly positive. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1699 on: January 23, 2020, 01:52:18 PM »
There is very little drama where I am. They let us work and don't seem bothered by anything.

I do have a colleague who has been here his entire career so while he has technical know-how, he has extremely limited real world experience outside this office, so his knowledge of the industry and standards is remarkably limited. His understanding of this company is encyclopedic, but his methods and technical prowess are about as varied as Stephen Wright's vocal intonations. He also only half pays attention to what is said to him, so he only absorbs and understands snippets of what is mentioned, and then finds himself grasping at the air to hold up his end of the conversation.

Really nice guy, but kind of an airhead. He also has a habit of over answering. For example, I received an ask on a project that was actually quite intensive, so I asked for his input on a proper approach in terms of how in depth I should go before pushing back on the request. Instead of actually weighing in on what I asked about, he decided to go on a lengthy dissertation on all the various ways I could execute the request. Like, yes I know exactly HOW to do the job, I just wanted your input on handling the request. *sigh* At least he's a good guy and not an asshole.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: January 23, 2020, 02:07:22 PM »
It's almost always easier to deal with the nice airhead than the competent asshole, but both can be frustrating in their own ways.  I do appreciate the people who do try, and try hard, but just aren't capable though. 

There's an airhead guy running a project that I'm involved in, but he's nice and he knows that I will get things done so he plays super nice to me and I think he even gets the hint that I'm annoyed with how poor he is at his job, but the respect he shows me does make it much easier to work with him. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: January 26, 2020, 06:05:44 AM »
Morning folks.

I agreed to work an extended shift last night (945p-945a). That was a mistake :lol It's 5am, but I've literally been dealing with drama from the moment I arrived. Huge party on a yacht that we finally shut down at 2am. Transients in the buildings. Drunk people loitering about for hours after the party subsided. Dude (drunk I believe) in a Silver Audi TT trying to get into our parking garages at least 4 times. Each time (I made contact with him 2x) he leaves and comes back half hour later. I have a direct line to the LA County Sheriff's branch that works this area. It's gotten to the point where homie working the phones recognizes my number and greets me as Jeremy when I call.

To be honest, this is the type of thing I really enjoy when it comes to. This job. I'm just sick of working Graves.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1702 on: January 28, 2020, 11:20:57 AM »
Ight. Interview in an hour. Wish me luck!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1703 on: January 28, 2020, 11:43:35 AM »
Ight. Interview in an hour. Wish me luck!

Kick some ass!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1704 on: January 28, 2020, 02:10:13 PM »
Kicked ass. Was offered job.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1705 on: January 28, 2020, 02:13:47 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1706 on: January 28, 2020, 02:35:37 PM »
 :hat :millahhhh :metal :metal :metal

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1707 on: January 28, 2020, 02:49:45 PM »
That’s awesome! Hope it’s a good offer :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1708 on: January 28, 2020, 02:59:03 PM »
That's spectacular, Jay.   :hefdaddy
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: January 28, 2020, 03:01:05 PM »
Congrats mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: January 28, 2020, 03:14:48 PM »
I was going to make a joke ("working the drive through or the counter?") but given your trials and tribulations, I would rather say "Congratulations!" and hope that it works for you. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: January 28, 2020, 06:22:15 PM »
 :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: January 28, 2020, 09:37:11 PM »
Thanks guys.

As of Feb 17 I'll officially be employed in the world of RV insurance :lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1713 on: January 28, 2020, 11:24:52 PM »
Congrats! (Or conga rats?)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1714 on: January 29, 2020, 05:25:10 AM »
Thanks guys.

As of Feb 17 I'll officially be employed in the world of RV insurance :lol

Looking forward to hear about how you flameout when resigning from the current place.

:corn
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion