Author Topic: MLB 2024 - no hitters and April showers (rain and snow)  (Read 351 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
MLB 2024 - no hitters and April showers (rain and snow)
« on: March 28, 2024, 11:20:43 AM »
Not the aficionado I was back in the day when baseball started during the first week of April, and after the men's NCAA basketball tourney had concluded, but I thought I would start the thread.

2023 MLB thread   https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58237.0

Sports, at its best, often provides a much needed distraction.  To say that the Baltimore area needs a few hours of escapism at this time is an understatement.

For me growing up, to hear Ernie Harwell say this phrase for the Detroit Tigers' Opening Day of the exhibition season in Lakeland gave me goose bumps.  A tradition I heard for decades.  Now, I put in his CD and play a longer version of it for the Orioles season openers.  Ahh, the memories. 

And, as said at the end of 'Christmas Vacation'.....'PLAY BALL!'  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr0wonW9u1A
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 11:28:07 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline T-ski

Re: MLB 2024 - Opening Day
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 12:39:35 PM »
Brewers/Mets….rained out.  :sad:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 01:39:36 PM »
Dodgers about to (re-)start the season in about a half hour.  Let's go BLUE!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 07:40:19 AM »
Rangers won the opening game to defend their title!  :metal

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 03:17:13 PM »
Twins win.
Royce Lewis goes yard in his 1st AB
Gets another hit
The gets hurt, lol.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 03:21:46 PM »
Twins win.
Royce Lewis goes yard in his 1st AB
Gets another hit
The gets hurt, lol.
Sounds about right. The Twins best players have a hell of a time staying off the DL.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 07:35:04 AM »
Mookie Betts!!! Raking like this after moving to the most important defensive position. What a talent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2024, 07:36:05 AM »
Mookie Betts!!! Raking like this after moving to the most important defensive position. What a talent.

The guy is amazing. One of the most exciting players I've ever seen in a Red Sox uniform.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 09:28:32 AM »
Well, if the Giants can address their bullpen issues, they might have a legitimate shot this year.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline T-ski

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 03:39:01 PM »
Nice little sweep of the Mets to get the season started.

Brewers about to go 162-0.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2024, 07:52:25 PM »
Nice little sweep of the Mets to get the season started.

Brewers about to go 162-0.

Nope, Pirates are going 162-0

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 07:39:59 AM »
The Yankees will meet you guys at the 162-0 club. A four game sweep of the the Astros in Houston is just a splendid way to start the season :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2024, 10:08:57 AM »
Nope, Pirates are going 162-0

The Pirates were my first Little League team, so they've always been my second favorite NL team.  Doesn't hurt that they've been lovable losers for most of the past three decades.  I'll be seeing the Bucs play the Mets when I'm back east in a couple weeks.  Still need to make a trip to Pittsburgh to see them at PNC.

As for the Dodgers, it was a solid opening series (not counting the two games against in Seoul).  The most encouraging thing has been the performance of the starters.  Tyler Glasnow, Yoshi Yamamoto and Bobby Miller delivered really strong performances.  Even Gavin Stone was solid last night.  The only real blemish was Joke Kelly's meltdown out of the bullpen to waste Yamamoto's start.  It'll be interesting to see how our temporary 5th starter, James Paxton, fares tonight against the Giants.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
MLB 2024 - no hitters and April showers (rain and snow)
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2024, 11:34:08 AM »
Dodgers about to (re-)start the season in about a half hour.  Let's go BLUE!

I checked the sports section the day I posted this, and there were no standings, so I just thought the season started last Thursday.  :facepalm:

Amongst all the men's and women's BBall, along with college and pro hockey I've been following, I never saw one word about the games in Korea.  Oh well....

I do miss the old days of Opening Day taking place around and after April 8th, with the NCAA tourneys finishing in March.

Anyhoo....already the first no hitter of the season.  Quite the story behind this journeyman Ronel Blanco

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/astros-no-hitter-ronel-blanco-blanks-blue-jays-in-eighth-career-start-throws-earliest-no-no-in-mlb-history/live/

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

Re: MLB 2024 - no hitters and April showers (rain and snow)
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2024, 01:15:10 PM »
The Korea games were stupid, IMO.  I posted about it in some of the last posts in the old MLB thread:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58237.msg3099068#msg3099068

Interesting background on Blanco.  Sounds similar to how Fernando Valenzuela ended up starting on opening day in 1981.  Also interesting that it wasn't a perfect game because of walks to former Canbeater George Springer to open the game and in the 9th.  Impressive that his pitch count was only 105 and that the manager let him keep going.

While Blanco's no-hitter is the earliest in the calendar year, Bob Feller and Leon Day threw opening day no-hitters in 1940 and 1946 respectively (Day's was in a Negro National League game and was his first game pitched since 1943 after having served in the Army (European theater) in 1944 and 1945).