Poll

POLL: Which DT studio release do you least listen to?

When Dream And Day Unite
Images And Words
Awake
A Change of Seasons (EP)
Falling Into Infinity
Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulance
Train Of Thought
Octavarium
Systematic Chaos
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
A Dramatic Turn Of Events
Dream Theater (self-titled)
The Astonishing

Author Topic: Which DT album do you least listen to?  (Read 2557 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Which DT album do you least listen to?
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2019, 07:00:55 PM »
I voted for The Astonishing, mostly because in the 3 years since its release, I don't think I've listened to it more than a few dozen times. At least with WDADU, since I discovered DT, I've probably heard it more than a dew dozen times, and to be honest, I would rather listen to the debut than TA anyday.

Just above those two, though, are probably FII and ACOS. Not that they're bad albums, but I don't revisit them as often as the albums that come after it. In fact, anything prior to SFAM doesn't get a lot of revisits lately, as much as I like IAW and Awake, but I've listened to those albums and songs so much that I don't find myself reaching for them as much as I used to, back when I first got into DT.

This whole thread has given me the itch to go back and re-listen to all of my DT albums, though, so I may end up diving through the whole discography again sometime soon, especially given how great d/t has been so far!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2019, 07:24:21 PM »
Rarely:
WDADU
SDOIT

Never:
TOT
8v
SC
BC&SL
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2019, 07:32:08 PM »
The Astonishing for sure. I don't think I've heard it in its entirety more than maybe 5 or 6 times, which is pretty wild as even other DT albums I dislike I've heard at least a a few dozen times or so.

Nothing about TA makes me ever wanna revisit it. Just the idea of it sounds like a chore.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2019, 03:20:42 AM »
The Astonishing for sure. I don't think I've heard it in its entirety more than maybe 5 or 6 times, which is pretty wild as even other DT albums I dislike I've heard at least a a few dozen times or so.

Nothing about TA makes me ever wanna revisit it. Just the idea of it sounds like a chore.

This. It’s just not good. I was honestly under the impression that it would mark a huge decline in quality from DT, but thank the heavens: Distance Over Time is a good record.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Mladen

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2019, 04:01:49 AM »
WDADU, although it's pretty much a tie with FII.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2019, 05:00:41 AM »
BC&SL.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2019, 05:57:33 AM »

This. It’s just not good. I was honestly under the impression that it would mark a huge decline in quality from DT, but thank the heavens: Distance Over Time is a good record.

You not liking does not equal not good. It perfectly accomplished what it set out to do, with great melodies, vocals, and song-writing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2019, 06:13:29 AM »
When Dream and Day Unite, but I still rank it higher than SC and BCSL.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2019, 06:16:53 AM »
I'd say I listen to WDADU from time to time, much more so than BCSL and TA.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2019, 06:53:24 AM »
WDADU,  can't remember the last time I put that on.  WDADRU is my go to for those tracks.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2019, 07:14:38 AM »
For me, it is Awake, It's not that I don't like it, but I'm not usually in the mood to listen to it, maybe it's because it sounds dated to me or because it has several of my least favorite songs (6:00, Innocence faded, Scarred, Lie).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2019, 09:24:20 AM »
Easily Systematic Chaos.....

Then maybe Train Of Thought.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2019, 09:34:08 AM »
Honestly WDADU and ADTOE because neither of them are on Apple Music. 

I think I would bust out WDADU a LOT more if it was on Apple Music.     I would probably only listen to BAI on ADTOE outside of the rare revisit of the album which for whatever reason just didn't age well with me at all.

Offline JLa

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2019, 11:36:11 AM »
To be honest I don't listen to anything after Octavarium. Although I've obviously listened to Distance over Time during the last week..

Voted for The Astonishing, though. That one isn't coming near my stereo anytime soon.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2019, 11:58:20 AM »
TA. I think I only heard once or twice. Never again.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2019, 12:06:32 PM »
Not counting WDADU, cos I don't own it yet, so it wouldn't be fair. I voted Falling Into Infinity without giving it much thought, because eh...

Disappointed this thread provides yet another opportunity for The Astonishing haters to have some unjustified airtime. Come on, get over it people. Your endless whining has been boring us for three years now.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2019, 12:10:37 PM »
Dang I didn't realize ACoS (EP) was on the list either. I honestly forget it exists most of the time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2019, 05:08:21 PM »
Not counting WDADU, cos I don't own it yet, so it wouldn't be fair. I voted Falling Into Infinity without giving it much thought, because eh...

Disappointed this thread provides yet another opportunity for The Astonishing haters to have some unjustified airtime. Come on, get over it people. Your endless whining has been boring us for three years now.

The topic of the thread poses a question, and users answer that question. It isn't as if people are voicing their opinions on the album unprovoked.

The bolded part seems unnecessary, in that it intends to invalidate the opinions of many DT fans who simply may not happen to like TA for completely justifiable reasons.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2019, 05:11:59 PM »
The self-titled is a steaming pile of shit, so that’s the one I never listen to. Although, the new release may be worse. Time will tell.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2019, 06:06:22 PM »
The Astonishing, for sure. I still don't know the second disc all that well, just very hard for me to listen to all the way through but I'd like to give it another go soon.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2019, 07:50:06 PM »

I voted Metropolis 2.

It is one of the finest albums ever written, and it literally changed my life. But I've spun it so so many times over the years that I only ever listen to it rarely now. But not for a lack of loving it. And I am genuinely excited to see it live next month.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2019, 08:28:52 PM »
FII

A weird/confused album ruined by influence. If I were Portnoy/Petrucci and had a time machine, I’d ditch the outside producers, take the best of that album (Raise the Knife, Peruvian Skies, Trial of Tears, Lines in the Sand, You OR Me) and combine it with ACoS closing the album. It would have been a GREAT follow up to Awake.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2019, 04:00:36 AM »
ACOS was released way before FII.

In answer to the question though, Octavarium is the album I least enjoy and consequently is the one I rarely listen to.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2019, 09:23:47 AM »

That wasn't the point of this poll and thread. With now 14 studio albums under their belt (which is a lot for a band and a great accomplishment), I was curious to see which albums people listen to the least. Some reasons are personal taste as in dislike, others just haven't revisited something in the catalog for a long time, and one mentioned they spun an album so much they got burnt out on it.

I don't read any endless whining in this thread.

This is a thread and people have the right to say how they feel. If you don't like what people express in a thread you can choose not to visit and read.

For what it's worth, I voted for Systematic Chaos.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »
Definitely A Change Of Seasons.

Really bummed out that WD&DU gets so many votes here. I like this album better every time I hear it.
Also sad about The Astonishing. When it got released, it got mixed reactions, but people mostly just bash it now  :-\ I don't get it. The Astonishing is awesome!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2019, 09:47:35 AM »
The only DT Album I don't listen to semi regularly is Astonishing. I haven't listened to it since I saw it live.

It's not bad. It really just doesn't translate as well on the album as it did live for me, and I've not had any interest in going back and listening to it. Now, if they release a live album from the tour, I'd throw that into rotation.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2019, 10:45:39 PM »
WDADU,  can't remember the last time I put that on.  WDADRU is my go to for those tracks.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2019, 12:58:03 PM »
I guess I'll go with BC&SL. I rarely listen it but funny enough I usually listen cover disc which is I enjoy much more.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2019, 08:31:08 AM »
I guess I don't listen to any DT albums that often anymore, but if I'm getting the itch, The Astonishing is the last album I'd grab, but only because it's so long and I'm not into most of the material. There's a solid 55 minute albums within TA.