It's a solid tune, but nothing special
33 (23.1%)
Not much of a fan, but it's not terrible
18 (12.6%)
Do not like it at all
9 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Voting closed: July 15, 2019, 02:54:36 PM

Author Topic: Room 137 discussion thread (POLL ADDED)  (Read 6867 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Room 137 discussion thread
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 05:20:41 PM »
First thing that came to my mind when that intro riff started was Marilyn Manson’s Beautiful People. It’s a fun song, but I can see why prog heads might dislike it.

I agree but only like the first 3 or so seconds.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2019, 06:12:10 PM »
Just cranked it again in the car. Liking it more, it doesn’t overstay its welcome.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2019, 07:20:27 PM »
At first I thought it was referring to the room directly below 237 at the Overlook Hotel.  :lol :rollin

Holy Crap!  I was instantly thinking of The Shining when I first saw the title also.

I kinda get the Manson comparisons (mildly sounds like Beautiful People, I guess), I didn't really get the Beatles that much out of it (though I love the Beatles), but more than anything it reminded me of a section of Howard Stern's On Demand theme music from years ago - that same chuggy muted low B chord.  It usually was played over the end credits and was a bit slower.

Regardless....it's one of my favs from the new album.  JP Solo is kind of uncharacteristic for him...until the shredding part, at least....and I love it.

Side note:  Is it too late to add a poll to this thread?  Would be a good topic for one.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2019, 07:25:31 PM »
It's probably the song I'm most addicted to at the moment.

Like, I think At Wit's End and Barstool Warrior are better written, and S2N has more interesting stuff going on, but Viper King and Room 137 are the two I can't get out of my head and can't stop spinning.

It's very catchy, the riffs are great, and I love the lyrics now that I know what it's about. Absolutely killer track.

DoT has also brought you back from the graveyard!

I agree entirely. You gotta rock along with Room 137 when it turns on.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2019, 07:35:34 PM »
Great song. I'd be ok if they don't play it live for a while, but I still enjoy it a lot. Great that they let MM write the lyrics for this one.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline adamack

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2019, 09:37:25 PM »
This might belong in the "Controversial Opinions" thread but IMO it's one of their worst songs ever  :tdwn

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2019, 10:17:04 PM »
Why so?

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2019, 11:27:58 PM »
I really dig the groove in this song. Some of that solo at 2:21 sounds like I'm sitting in an auditorium at a live G3 show and it's is bouncing off all of the walls(a good thing). Love the Beatles stuff too. :tup
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:19:34 AM by Shooters1221 »

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2019, 11:51:08 PM »
While the Manson and DT comparisons are only somewhat similar, if you had to listen to the song today you then it's safe to say you don't have that beat ingrained in your head.  My point being, if you already knew the Manson song well, the moment Room 137 kicks in you would immediately think about it as I and many others have commented (not just here, but on social media too I've seen it a lot).

Exactly. Once that riff started it was instant, I was whispering in my head “the beautiful people the beautiful people”. It doesn’t mean it’s bad, it simply means I’m a 90’s guy and Manson was just huge in the 90’s. I don’t own a single album, but that was a very well known song.

And I do like the song a lot. I think the similarity was purely coincidental. JP probably played the riff and it went from there.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2019, 11:57:59 PM »
This one has been a grower to me, instead of most songs that have been more direct hits :)

The riff is sounding massive and the patterns are kind of shifting between stable and unstable, it's very unique in their discography.
By the way, the riff made me think of the reprise in "in the name of god" on steroids, not of manson, only thing in common to me is the feeling of the open power chord and the production.

The beatles sections are very cool, the long trippy moment in the end is making me dizzy :D

But who missed JP's solo ? Well backed up by drums etc, it's so bluesy and different !
He really played differently with pinched harmonics, blues licks etc, it's cool.

Solid song to me, not headbanging, not calm either, just proggy !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline erciccio

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2019, 01:48:18 AM »
As stated elsewhere, honestly I don't hear the similarity with Beautiful People at all, while I hear A LOT of similarities of the main verse with the cover of Higher Grounds by RHCP. Actually, the verses are almost identical both rhythmically and melodically. (even though Room 137 is in 7/4)

I don't like this song.
The riff is cool, and so are some instrumental parts, but all the melodies of the pre-chorus and chorus are not my cup of tea.

I can understand why some people love them, and I also appreciate that sometimes DT tries to do something so different, but I just don't like "this kind of music".
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline robwebster

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2019, 05:12:50 AM »
What can I say, it's a loud album!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2019, 06:25:06 AM »
Indeed! This song and the whole album for that matter, sounds the best on big high-fi quality stereos. Crank it, the louder the better!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2019, 06:46:03 AM »
I love the song and turn up the volume when it comes on.

Offline adamack

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2019, 11:14:49 AM »
Why so?

Just in terms of personal opinion. I like the main riff, but the vocal melodies just fail to do anything for me. I think I'd enjoy the song a lot more if I dug the chorus.

I tend to be drawn toward their more intricate songs, which is a big reason I love the band. So this song just kinda bores me  :-\

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2019, 11:24:01 AM »
Having digested the album now, this is the only song I skip, just doesn't sit right with me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2019, 01:53:25 PM »

Side note:  Is it too late to add a poll to this thread?  Would be a good topic for one.

Nope, I will add one.  :tup :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Room 137 discussion thread (POLL ADDED)
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »
It's a solid tune, but nothing special

Offline PetFish

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2019, 02:38:36 PM »
What makes me wonder about the similarity is there any intention?  As in, were DT in any way, inspired by Marilyn Manson or this song?  I don't recall ever hearing DT mention Manson and their music isn't very similar overall to have any real relation besides being in the metal genre.  It is a pretty obvious similarity.  My point is, did DT wear an influence on their sleeve as we've seen before or are DT just not aware of The Beautiful People?

I would say "no" to any intentional similarity.  There's definitely going to be music that sounds like other music no matter how much a musician knows or whatever, it's just the way it goes.

I don't actively listen to Marilyn Manson, never have, but just like most of the "one-hit-wonder" songs, people know them even if they don't listen to them or even the genre, they're just out there.  So even though I don't know MM much, I know "The Beautiful People", and it immediately hit me, it took no time at all, which is why I wonder why nobody else hears stuff like this during the writing and recording, especially for musicians like DT how have a vast knowledge of their craft.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »
Not the best thing they've done, but I like it a lot. For whatever reason, it reminds me of Lord Nafaryus/Three Days.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2019, 02:53:29 PM »
What makes me wonder about the similarity is there any intention?  As in, were DT in any way, inspired by Marilyn Manson or this song?  I don't recall ever hearing DT mention Manson and their music isn't very similar overall to have any real relation besides being in the metal genre.  It is a pretty obvious similarity.  My point is, did DT wear an influence on their sleeve as we've seen before or are DT just not aware of The Beautiful People?

I would say "no" to any intentional similarity.  There's definitely going to be music that sounds like other music no matter how much a musician knows or whatever, it's just the way it goes.

I don't actively listen to Marilyn Manson, never have, but just like most of the "one-hit-wonder" songs, people know them even if they don't listen to them or even the genre, they're just out there.  So even though I don't know MM much, I know "The Beautiful People", and it immediately hit me, it took no time at all, which is why I wonder why nobody else hears stuff like this during the writing and recording, especially for musicians like DT how have a vast knowledge of their craft.

Yea, I'm not a Manson fan or anything, just knew the song well from growing up and I never knew of a DT to Manson connection to make me think this was them intentionally trying to sound like someone else.  Just figuted Id ask, maybe someone knew "oh yea JP mentioned before he really dug that song" or something like that.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2019, 03:39:58 PM »

hahaha
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2019, 07:11:39 PM »
It's my least favorite on the album, but I voted It's a solid tune, but nothing special.

Offline brents319

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2019, 07:39:33 PM »
Room 137 is one of my faves on the album.  OK, fine...I love it!  I am a tiny bit surprised that some don't like it....it is crunchy and a little different...what's not to like?   ;D

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2019, 10:51:28 PM »
It’s my 2nd favorite, after S2n. Reminds me of King Crimson.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2019, 11:48:55 PM »
I listened to Room 137 while I was going through the drive-through car wash. They flash colored lights on your car while it's all covered with soapy bubbles... Room 137 was blaring and I couldn't stop smiling! highly recommended.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2019, 12:32:43 AM »
While my first listen it was a total filler for me, now it starts to grow.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2019, 12:41:14 AM »
There's a lot a jazzy swing going on in that lead breakdown. Only really noticed it yesterday. Very nicely done. And making that Beatles vocal section is v clever too.

I like that the chorus is truly menacing.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2019, 01:36:54 AM »
I listened to Room 137 while I was going through the drive-through car wash. They flash colored lights on your car while it's all covered with soapy bubbles... Room 137 was blaring and I couldn't stop smiling! highly recommended.
That must have been awesome!!!   :lol :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2019, 05:58:00 PM »
The "Beatles part" immediately jumped out to me when I listened to it for the first time. Like the majority of this album, I enjoyed this one after the first listen.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2019, 05:46:21 AM »
I like the song but I have come to this thread to find out its meaning. Anybody care to explain?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2019, 01:28:01 PM »
Like it a lot.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2019, 01:31:15 PM »
Honestly, its the one song (not counting Viper King, which my CD version does not have) that I'm not completely digging. It's NOT bad, but to me, its filler. And the only filler on the record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2019, 05:59:54 AM »
So no one knows what Room 137 is?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2019, 06:06:24 AM »
So no one knows what Room 137 is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgiwc1Kjy0Y - Here's the track by track video where Mike discusses the lyrical content.