Author Topic: Dream Theater MVPs - Per album  (Read 3683 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Dream Theater MVPs - Per album
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 01:59:47 PM »
WDADU: JMX - Not a big fan of this record overall, but the bass lines really do shine.
I&W: JLB - No long explanation needed, unreal vocal performance.
Awake: JP - Love his guitar work on this record, tried some different things to push forward (quad tracking, seven string, etc....).
ACOS: MP - Lyrically and drumming-wise, top notch stuff here.
FII: DS - Maybe it's because it's his only full length album with the band, but his style and playing on this record was killer and really sticks out in the catalog.
SFAM: JP - Killer riffs and solos on this one. JR gets a close second for his immediate impact on the band, but I'm still going with JP.
SDOIT: MP - Another tough call (I could easily say JP or JR) but SDOIT is the peak of MP's drum work, IMO.
ToT: JP - Heavy, guitar driven album and the guitar player shines.
8V: JR - Some of JR's most tasteful playing and tones on this record, awesome stuff.
SC: MP - Great drumming highlights throughout the record.
BC&SL: JP - Really strong guitar riffs on this record, including killer solos (one that literally saves the song).
ADTOE: JP - For steering the ship largely after MP left and producing this solid, well-thought out record.
DT12: MM - Best performance on a DT record by MM, snare sound isn't great, but the playing is killer.
TA: JLB - Huge undertaking for the vocalist to cover all the ground needed here, and James was great.

I think all of these still hold for me. With D/T out, I'm thinking MM is the MVP of that one.