Author Topic: The Academy Awards 2019  (Read 1726 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
The Academy Awards 2019
« on: February 24, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
Well, 'Bohemian Rhapsody' won two deserved Oscars, for sound editing and sound mixing.  Brian and Roger can still rock the house, and Adam did a good job.  Made my wife very, very happy....and, I enjoyed listening to the Wembley versions of WATC and GSTQ. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Academy Awards 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 07:14:13 PM »
I think First Man should have won for editing, but no biggie.

They just better not win best picture.

Over all, it turns out they never really needed a host at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 07:22:06 PM »
I think the movie award will most likely go to The Green Book.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 08:03:36 PM »
I just don't want it to go to Bohemian Rhapsody or Black Panther. Green Book was good, but not best picture.

Roma on the other hand. I'd be down with that. Blackkklansmen would be a cool upset too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 08:22:14 PM »
I doubt Roma will win again for best movie, they already gave it the best foreign film. I can see Cuaron win for director.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 08:38:50 PM »
I doubt Roma will win again for best movie, they already gave it the best foreign film. I can see Cuaron win for director.

True. And he definitely deserves best director.

Sadly Green Book, while a good movie, would be a bit weak for winner.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 09:16:01 PM »
Yea, dumb ending. Ah well, just super glad that Alfanso won best director and Olivia won best actress.

And of course Spider-Verse.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 06:12:05 AM »
Green Book was a nice, feel-good, entertaining movie, but was nowhere near good enough to deserve best picture. I personally thought The Favourite was the best of the non-Roma films (Roma is the only one I haven't seen). Other than that I have no issues with any of the winners.

Offline Adami

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 07:51:49 AM »
Green Book was a nice, feel-good, entertaining movie, but was nowhere near good enough to deserve best picture. I personally thought The Favourite was the best of the non-Roma films (Roma is the only one I haven't seen). Other than that I have no issues with any of the winners.

Yea, I think Roma, Favourite or Blackkklansmen should have won. But such is life.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline masterthes

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 09:07:30 AM »
The only thing bad about BlackKKKlansmen was the ending. if Spike Lee refrained from making that political statement at the end, it would've been perfect

Offline Adami

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 09:24:00 AM »
The only thing bad about BlackKKKlansmen was the ending. if Spike Lee refrained from making that political statement at the end, it would've been perfect

Oh yea, that ending was way too much. Didn't ruin the movie, but it could have been removed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 10:22:04 AM »
I really do not have a problem with the way things worked out.

To be honest, the Best picture of the year was a Documentary, Free Solo. But a Documentary will never win best picture.
Green Book was good, Blackklansman was better. Roma is a beautiful movie but they were not going to give it best foreign film and best picture.

Overall, and I am a movie geek, their were a lot of great films that get snubbed every year. I can name 10 that didn't get a nomination in anything

Offline Adami

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »
Free Solo was really good. Oddly enough, I think Of Fathers and Sons should have won best documentary.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 10:35:47 AM »
That was a great one too.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 10:36:46 AM »
I'm baffled at how people are revolting on social media about Black Panther not winning best picture. It's a great superhero movie; heck it's one of the better MCU movies (Not my Favorite one though), but you need a lot more than being just a good superhero movie to be considered Oscar-worthy. I've watched BP, A Star is Born, Vice, Roma and Bohemian Rhapsody so far, Roma being the one I've liked the most of them. I'll be sure to check out The Favourite, Blackkklansman and Green Book soon.

Offline Adami

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 10:38:21 AM »
I'm baffled at how people are revolting on social media about Black Panther not winning best picture. It's a great superhero movie; heck it's one of the better MCU movies (Not my Favorite one though), but you need a lot more than being just a good superhero movie to be considered Oscar-worthy. I've watched BP, A Star is Born, Vice, Roma and Bohemian Rhapsody so far, Roma being the one I've liked the most of them. I'll be sure to check out The Favourite, Blackkklansman and Green Book soon.

I'd just ignore them. I'm an MCU/Marvel fanboy and I would have been upset if Black Panther DID win best picture.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 11:47:36 AM »
Green Book was a nice, feel-good, entertaining movie... about racism...

Instant Academy cred!

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 11:48:32 AM »
Infinity War not winning for special effects is a travesty.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »
Green Book was a nice, feel-good, entertaining movie... about racism...

Instant Academy cred!

Yeah, pretty much. Just make sure the old white guys feel good about themselves when they leave the theater and you stand a good chance of winning an Oscar.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 04:00:16 PM »
Infinity War not winning for special effects is a travesty.
Ya know, I actually don't mind them choosing a movie with much more subtle and realistic looking effects. First Man looked really great. I never thought that it looked like CGI. Infinity War, as good as the effects were, suffered from the typical Marvel over-saturation of CGI.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 06:07:39 PM »
Honestly, I've never even HEARD of Green Book prior to it being nominated. There was no trailer being passed around, no critics raving about it everywhere, no general excitement, nothing. At least some of the others I had heard of. For people who saw it: was it actually any good? I read the Rotten Tomatoes synopsis and watched the trailer and it just seems like oscar bait.

Happy that Black Panther won Best Score and Costume. It definitely deserved it. Even if it is one of the best MCU movies, I never expected it to win Best Picture so I'm not miffed about that too much. I AM, however, totally confused as to how the hell Infinity War did not win VFX. The fact that it can make a giant armored purple CGI man with a grill-rack chin look like a completely natural part of the movie and a well-done emotive character is astounding. Thanos alone should've netted IW the Oscar. (Edit: Ok, after watching the launch scene from First Man, it should've been a tie. First Man should've definitely won Sound Design and SFX tho)

A Star is Born winning Best Song is kind of a "duh" moment. Really should get around to listening to that soundtrack. Probably'd be right up my alley. Not really surprised about Into the Spider-Verse winning best Animated either, and that's another one I should get around to seeing.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 06:53:23 PM by Ninjabait »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 06:39:58 AM »
Honestly, I've never even HEARD of Green Book prior to it being nominated. There was no trailer being passed around, no critics raving about it everywhere, no general excitement, nothing. At least some of the others I had heard of. For people who saw it: was it actually any good? I read the Rotten Tomatoes synopsis and watched the trailer and it just seems like oscar bait.
It was a good movie, but yes, a bit oscar baity. I remember seeing trailers for it and hearing good buzz when it came out. I was excited to see it even before it was released. It's basically a feel-good movie. It was well acted by the two leads, though Viggo Mortensen trended towards an Italian-american caricature at times. Given some of the "controversies" that came out after the fact about it not being very true to Ali's character's real life, etc, I certainly never thought it would win Best Picture. Nor did I think it walking out of the movie for that matter. I get all the criticisms of it from a racial perspective, which wouldn't really bother me too much if the story was mostly accurate.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 02:27:26 PM »
I laughed at this Tweet from Alec Sulkin:

"Say what you will about The Oscars, but when that actor who can't sing and that singer who can't act did that song from a movie that's been made four times... chils."
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 02:59:17 PM »
I'll agree with Cooper's singing. Not bad, but yea.

But, and apparently it took a LOT of directing, Gaga is really good in that movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline masterthes

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 10:56:18 AM »
Gaga was good. People need to stop hating

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2019, 05:16:55 AM »
Gaga was good. People need to stop hating

QFT. I loved that movie, and it was well acted by all.
In a world of manufactured "artists", at least she's for real.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2019, 05:18:02 AM »
Anybody see Bel-B diss Roger Taylor? (Insert swear words here)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/needed-pizzazz-mel-b-insults-queens-roger-taylor-123746084.html