Author Topic: D/T Hi res files  (Read 7195 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: D/T Hi res files
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »
I won't copy and paste the email here, since I am not a fan of putting someone's private email to me on to a public forum, but the reply I got from HD was basically that they can only sell what is given to them by the label because they do not do any mastering themselves.  In other words, Inside Out completely dropped the ball by sending "HD files" to HD Tracks that are just as compressed and brickwalled as the normal version released to the public.  Very poor form on the part of IO.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2019, 08:57:28 PM »
This thread saved me $18.  Thanks!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2019, 08:59:31 PM »
Inside Out completely dropped the ball by sending "HD files" to HD Tracks that are just as compressed and brickwalled as the normal version released to the public.  Very poor form on the part of IO.
Especially since we know they had a much better high resolution master they could have sent to HDTracks instead (the one on the blu ray).

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2019, 06:23:10 AM »
You are right. We should email Inside out too. 

I don't think HDTracks can be absolved of all responsibility, though.

I think HD Tracks needs to tell them that the best possible master is a dynamic one.  Just saying best possible master will result in the same old brickwalled versions. You are right that they have some responsibility too.  They need to tell the labels that the type of customers coming to HD Tracks are NOT looking for heavily compressed versions.  HD crap is not any better than plain old crap.

I agree. They should specifically ask for a dynamic master as this is what their customers are after.

I sent an e-mail to InsideOut yesterday about the HDTracks version and explaining the importance of dynamic master, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2019, 07:21:51 PM »
Inside Out completely dropped the ball by sending "HD files" to HD Tracks that are just as compressed and brickwalled as the normal version released to the public.  Very poor form on the part of IO.
Especially since we know they had a much better high resolution master they could have sent to HDTracks instead (the one on the blu ray).
I am replying and trying to explain this.  It should not be much more work if any to send this version.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2019, 07:23:21 PM »
I won't copy and paste the email here, since I am not a fan of putting someone's private email to me on to a public forum, but the reply I got from HD was basically that they can only sell what is given to them by the label because they do not do any mastering themselves.  In other words, Inside Out completely dropped the ball by sending "HD files" to HD Tracks that are just as compressed and brickwalled as the normal version released to the public.  Very poor form on the part of IO.
Yea, the main blame is with Inside Out.  I am trying to get HD Tracks to advocate for us though.  If they tell the labels this is what people want hopefully they will listen.

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2019, 12:17:06 AM »
Bought the album on hdtracks day one and got mad about crazy dynamic range compression. Then I started playing with blu-ray 5.1 LPCM mix trying to convert it to stereo, without even checking the stereo 2.0 mix first, thinking that's where hdtracks sourced it from.

Here's the way I did 5.1 to stereo :-)
Rip the audio to 5.1 FLAC files.
In Audacity, set front L+R as stereo, set back L+R as stereo, C and LFE as mono. Export audio as 32-bit float 96KHz WAV. Open the new stereo WAV (which will look brickwalled, then amplify to 0db, a trick I learned on youtube.
Export as 24-bit 96KHz FLAC
Still sounded better than hdtracks.

Then I found out that LPCM stereo tracks from blu-ray actually sounded good, which I kept them as FLAC for main listening experience.

Sent hdtracks an email.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:18:21 AM by cool34231a »

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2019, 01:20:35 AM »
Have you checked whether the Blu-ray 2.0 version is different than the front channels of the 5.1 version? Maybe it's "incomplete", missing the content from the center channel.

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2019, 01:34:53 AM »
Yes, the front speakers sometimes missing the keyboard parts, and probably some other stuff. I actually merged the front and rear channels as stereo, and center+sub as mono, into the stereo mixdown.

In the end, I though that the blu-ray stereo mix had little more ambience than my surround downmix.

HDtracks needs to start providing technical info and the history of the masters, or I'll start calling them Fake hdtracks.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:57:41 AM by cool34231a »

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2019, 02:48:48 AM »
Have you checked whether the Blu-ray 2.0 contains the keyboard parts that the Blu-ray 5.1 front channels are missing?

Offline cool34231a

« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2019, 09:10:53 AM »
Blu-ray 2.0 does contain the keyboard parts that the Blu-ray 5.1 front channels are missing.
I'm pretty sure they're identical. It's just on 5.1 it's spread out between front and rear channels.

example S2N 2:10-2:22 stereo version has the whole rhythmic keyboard solo, but on blu-ray 5.1 it jumps between rear and front channels. The rear channels also have keyboard orchestration and whole band atmosphere/reverb/delay effect.

Untethered Angel 4:16 organ solo is there, in stereo version. On 5.1, the organ solo is missing from the front channels, and playing in the rear channels.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2019, 10:40:47 AM »
I don't see how mixing down a 5.1 mix to stereo would ever sound right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2019, 02:46:43 PM »
I finally got my artbook with the bluray. The stereo LPCM track is really fantastic, I ripped it to FLAC and listen to this version now. I didn't really have an issue with the CD version but after listening to the BR stereo version I now know what people were talking about how loud the CD version is.

I will have to check out the 5.1 version at some point.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2019, 01:11:35 AM »
I had a chance to listen to the 5.1 version converted to stereo and indeed we loose too many keyboard parts :)

How loud is the bluray 2.0 version compared to the cd ?
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2019, 07:04:44 AM »
All labels and bands really to get on the ball with this. Incredibly low effort to create and distribute a master without the compression/amplification step and let digital consumers choose.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online faizoff

« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2019, 07:31:55 AM »
The Bluray stereo doesn't sound loud at all. It's the CD version that is really loud. If you compare them you'd easily be able to hear how loud the CD version is. It crackles at certain points too but I haven't heard the bluray stereo do that.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2019, 10:09:38 AM »

See my post on the first page of this thread for a visual representation.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2019, 01:02:51 AM »

See my post on the first page of this thread for a visual representation.
Indeed, I forgot it was the stereo and not the 5.1
I guess I have to find this version :)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2019, 03:34:31 AM »
Those stereo files from the Blu-Ray really make a difference (quite hard to make them, but worth it). Less loud parts sound a lot quieter than on the CD version, which means the impact of more powerful parts is also bigger. I do not regret getting the artbook.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Online faizoff

« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2019, 06:09:13 AM »
Me too, I love cranking up the stereo rip from the bluray. It sounds so amazing and I can listen to this on repeat endlessly. The crunchy guitar riff in At Wit's End in the second part of the song is orgasmic.

Offline convrge

« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2019, 11:57:08 AM »
One thing I noticed with the DVD LPCM 2.0 mastering is that the mix seems to be slightly different, at least in one place. At 5:30 in At Wit's End, the synth part is much louder in the standard/CD mastering than it is in the DVD mastering. Unless this is a byproduct of the less compressed mastering?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2019, 08:29:21 PM »
The Bluray stereo doesn't sound loud at all. It's the CD version that is really loud. If you compare them you'd easily be able to hear how loud the CD version is. It crackles at certain points too but I haven't heard the bluray stereo do that.

Haven't tried the Bluray, but my stereo system is orders of magnitude better than my Bluray set up which is crap. 

At first I thought my stereo speakers were going because I actually hear them crackle at various points when I play the CD.