Author Topic: D/T Hi res files  (Read 7137 times)

Offline chudm

Re: D/T Hi res files
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 10:06:57 AM »
yep, i did that with the breaking the fourth wall bluray, sounds much better to me

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
So when you play the Blu-ray or DVD and play the 5.1 mixes, do you have an option to choose audio streams? I saw that even the self-titled album DVD that was only advertised as 5.1 had a stereo track which was higher resolution than the CD. They might be referring to that as the hi-res files rather than having them separately available.

Yes. There are 3 options.

96/24 Stereo LPCM
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
96/24 5.1 LPCM

That's great to know, once I get my blu-ray I will rip that stereo track and convert to flac. I use makemkv to rip into a raw MKV file and then extract the audio stream using MKVToolNIX GUI. After that the resulting .mka file with audio only and chapter markers is easy to convert to flac using foobar with its FLAC plugin.

I know it sounds laborious but once you do it, it then becomes quite straightforward to deal with after. Plus I'm sure there are other programs that do it straight to FLAC but this has been my method for a while.

I kind of got stuck here. What do I have to do in MKVTool to get the mka file? Is there a simpler way to rip the audio from the blu ray? I have a Macbook Pro from 2012 so I may not have the chipsets to rip the audio.

Below the 'input' box, under 'tracks, chapters and tags', deselect 'video'. That should automatically change the file format under that to .mka - assuming you're seeing what I saw this morning, of course!

I believe I did this and I was only getting the AAC output option. I'll check it out again later today.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2019, 02:11:55 PM »
I think it says AAC as the audio output but in reality, it just leaves whatever the original audio format is.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2019, 09:03:37 PM »
It is great that there is a version out there with dynamics.  I just cannot understand why they did not send that version to HD Tracks or put it on the CD for that matter.  The poor mastering is distracting to me.  I feel like it detracts from a good album.

Offline Dtman2112

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2019, 08:03:09 AM »
I just finished listening to the BR version which I converted to mp3@320 and I had a freaking religious experience. Now I’m so pissed that the CD and HD Tracks versions sound like shit in comparison I could kick the people who did this in the nuts.

Offline chudm

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2019, 08:43:06 AM »
The PCM/DTS HD seems to be a little bit better on DR:

I ripped the 5.1 PCM and downsampled it to stereo:

foobar2000 1.4.3 beta 1 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2019-02-28 11:40:55

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Dream Theater / Distance Over Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR12      -5.33 dB   -18.91 dB      6:15 01-Untethered Angel
DR11      -5.72 dB   -19.06 dB      4:18 02-Paralyzed
DR12      -4.83 dB   -19.20 dB      7:05 03-Fall Into the Light
DR11      -5.43 dB   -18.85 dB      6:44 04-Barstool Warrior
DR12      -6.12 dB   -18.97 dB      4:23 05-Room 137
DR11      -5.02 dB   -17.98 dB      6:22 06-S2N
DR12      -5.05 dB   -20.49 dB      9:21 07-At Wit's End
DR11      -6.54 dB   -22.21 dB      4:05 08-Out of Reach
DR12      -5.35 dB   -19.42 dB      8:26 09-Pale Blue Dot
DR12      -5.66 dB   -19.41 dB      4:02 10-Viper King

Number of tracks:  10
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate:        96000 Hz
Channels:          2
Bits per sample:   24
Bitrate:           2940 kbps
Codec:             FLAC
================================================================================

Offline JRuless

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2019, 08:44:32 AM »
I just finished listening to the BR version which I converted to mp3@320 and I had a freaking religious experience. Now I’m so pissed that the CD and HD Tracks versions sound like shit in comparison I could kick the people who did this in the nuts.

Absolutely! The CD version is understandable as it is (sadly) part of the loudness war going on, but the HDTracks is another story!
And yes, I composed a usb from my BR for in my car and yes it is so much better!

Offline JRuless

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2019, 08:48:07 AM »

I ripped the 5.1 PCM and downsampled it to stereo

Yeah! Doesnt suprise me, because it sounded so good on my system but I was confused by the post of noblooydename for blaming the 5.1 mix...but didnt test it myself on DR...

Offline chudm

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2019, 08:51:20 AM »

I ripped the 5.1 PCM and downsampled it to stereo

Yeah! Doesnt suprise me, because it sounded so good on my system but I was confused by the post of noblooydename for blaming the 5.1 mix...but didnt test it myself on DR...

Yeah, at least vinyl/bluray its the must buy edition, it sounds SO MUCH BETTER :metal its a shame the HDTRACKS sucks, same thing happened with DT and TA

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2019, 09:44:08 AM »
Two separate things for me:

1) the 5.1 mix itself didn't bring anything to the party. So what's the point? I think it's there for the sake of it being there... *shrug*

2) yes, I thought it sounded far too loud. Surprised at the dynamic range findings, absolutely ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:50:21 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2019, 09:45:41 AM »

Yup... and it's a little disappointing (although honestly not surprising) that more people aren't posting in this thread to express their dismay :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline chudm

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2019, 10:03:21 AM »
Two separate things for me:

1) the 5.1 mix itself didn't bring anything to the party. So what's the point? I think it's there for the sake of it being there... *shrug*

2) yes, I thought it sounded far too loud. Surprised at the dynamic range findings, absolutely ;D

yeah, the 5.1 is so so, i think the SC 5.1 was better

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »
Yup... and it's a little disappointing (although honestly not surprising) that more people aren't posting in this thread to express their dismay :biggrin:

Maybe they were scared off by your earlier claim that the Blu-ray mixes are just as loud as the CD?  ;)

But I'm happy to hear that is not actually the case. Though it's a real headscratcher that they have a more dynamic master lying around and didn't use it for the HDtracks release.  :huh:
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2019, 01:23:51 PM »

Maybe they were scared off by your earlier claim that the Blu-ray mixes are just as loud as the CD?  ;)

But I'm happy to hear that is not actually the case. Though it's a real headscratcher that they have a more dynamic master lying around and didn't use it for the HDtracks release.  :huh:

Aww, cut me some slack... I was somewhat inebriated while in charge of a keyboard when I posted that :lol (Also, I meant only to refer to the 5.1 version!)

The rip I created from the stereo tracks on the blu-ray does sound much better and I'm really rather happy about that. Which is brilliant because the album deserves it. I feel sorry for people who've splashed out on the so-called HD tracks. It's pretty poor that there is a demonstrably better source available.

I do sit and wonder why an artist would- ...bah, been here a thousand times and it invariably goes nowhere good.

Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline unklejman

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2019, 06:15:51 PM »
I'm so glad you guys discovered this. I found the compression so irritating. One negative effect I've noticed though is that it allows the trigger samples on Mangini's snare stand out as synthetic more, IMO. Otherwise, it is so much more listenable.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2019, 06:51:23 PM »
Still impatiently waiting for my artbook order from Amazon. I guess I can wait another two weeks assuming March 15th will be the shipping date.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2019, 10:03:23 PM »
I just finished listening to the BR version which I converted to mp3@320

I really wish I could do that, my 8 year old computer crashes if I ever try to play a BR on it, let alone rip it :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2019, 12:22:55 AM »
Just use the DVD, then.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2019, 05:48:32 AM »
I just finished listening to the BR version which I converted to mp3@320

I really wish I could do that, my 8 year old computer crashes if I ever try to play a BR on it, let alone rip it :lol
My 8 1/2 year old computer doesn't have that issue. What software are you using to play the BR? I have CyberLink PowerDVD 16 and it has been reliable ever since I moved to Windows 10.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2019, 07:09:03 AM »
I use VLC, I don't know if it's worth mentioning but I'm still on Windows 7.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2019, 07:53:41 AM »
Being on Win 7 shouldn't matter that much. VLC won't properly work with playback for Blu-rays. They work for DVDs and other video files. Each Blu-ray has a set of keys that are encrypted on the disc and need to be decrypted for playback. Official players like Cyberlink PowerDVD have those official keys to decrypt for PC playback.

If you don't want to get PowerDVD or any other app, your other choice is to rip the Blu-ray using software like MakeMKV and use VLC to playback the ripped file.

Come to think of it no free app will be able to natively playback with menus on the PC. Your best bet is a paid program.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2019, 11:50:29 AM »
Finally pulled it off. Thanks guys.

Man, this BR stereo mix breathes a shit ton. You can hear LaBrie's voice effects clearly (and some of the echoes as well) and now they don't feel like the effects were hiding James' voice. Definitely less compressed. Too bad this wasn't used on the actual CD. I also got to hear a bit more of the keyboard.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2019, 01:25:00 PM »
It was only with the hi-res mastering that I noticed all the vocal harmonies. Really prefer this!

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2019, 04:16:37 PM »
How do you get the Blu-ray?  Does it only come with he boxed set?  Why oh why was this not the HD Tracks master.  I bet they could send a no compressed master to HD Tracks and those of us could download it again. I think I will email them.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2019, 06:21:05 PM »
There are two boxed sets that have the bluray. The deluxe one that comes with vinyl. The other one is the artbook that comes with 2 CDs, 1 DVD & 1 Bluray. The second one I assume is what most are ordering.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2019, 07:30:10 PM »
Looks like both sets are sold out already at Century Media.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2019, 08:06:18 PM »
I emailed HD Tracks and told them that there was a dynamic master out there and that many fans are looking for a dynamic version.  I asked them if they could try to get that version for D/T on their site and to ask other bands in the future to provide dynamic versions.  I told them it will definitely increase sales for them and the artists. I will let you know how they respond.

Offline Dtman2112

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2019, 08:11:53 PM »
I also emailed them. Address is below. Come on guys, only takes a second.

contact@hdtracks.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2019, 08:39:34 AM »
I also emailed them. Address is below. Come on guys, only takes a second.

contact@hdtracks.com

Sent.  :tup :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2019, 09:37:23 AM »
Burning Shed has the artbook. I paid $64 including shipping. This album is worth it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2019, 10:10:30 AM »
In hindsight I should have probably ordered from lasercd. With 2 weeks out from "official" street date I might as well wait for Amazon to ship it. If they cancel or delay it further then it's going to blow chunks.

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2019, 12:10:15 PM »
It is good that people are giving HDTrack the feedback on the loudness issue, but I think it would be more important to aim the feedback directly to InsideOut. HDTracks claim to be asking for the best possible master for their releases from the record company. it is the record label that decides to give them the loud master after all.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2019, 04:49:06 PM »
I don't think HDTracks can be absolved of all responsibility, though.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Dtman2112

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2019, 04:45:37 AM »
HD Tracks emailed me back reiterating they have nothing to do with this since the label is the one that sends them a lousy master. He encouraged me to bombard the label with complaints. Email is below fellas!

contact@insideout.de
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 04:51:00 AM by Dtman2112 »

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2019, 07:35:39 PM »
You are right. We should email Inside out too. 

I don't think HDTracks can be absolved of all responsibility, though.

I think HD Tracks needs to tell them that the best possible master is a dynamic one.  Just saying best possible master will result in the same old brickwalled versions. You are right that they have some responsibility too.  They need to tell the labels that the type of customers coming to HD Tracks are NOT looking for heavily compressed versions.  HD crap is not any better than plain old crap.