Author Topic: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music  (Read 28629 times)

Offline Ruba

Re: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music
« Reply #420 on: May 28, 2019, 04:15:35 PM »
I am not the same person as I was in my 20's and I'll bet that goes for most people including Rock Stars.

That's definitely true and for most part it's about what you do with what you got. If you can't belt it like you used to, tune it down or work with your lower register. I listened to Fates Warning's latest album yesterday and I honestly prefer Ray's current vocals to what he did 30 years ago.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #421 on: May 28, 2019, 05:10:42 PM »
Controversial: Tool is bad, Maynard isn't special, the rest of the band is talented but the music is ultra boring

Somewhere in the distance, Puppies_On_Acid just screamed in a rage.  :biggrin: :hug:
:splodetard:

:onfire:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Ruba

« Reply #422 on: May 28, 2019, 05:14:50 PM »
Feel you brah.  :-\

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #423 on: May 28, 2019, 08:28:19 PM »
Here's a hot-take, music education version:

Music theory and music education focuses WAY too much on harmony, which is comparatively one of the least important aspects of most kinds of music. Especially in comparison to say, melody and form which are two of the most important aspects of music regardless of genre. The only lipservice melody gets in conventional theory texts is a brief description of what a period and sentence are, and maybe a mention of motifs. You cover it for like a week in Music Theory II, and then never again for the next two semesters. I've been focusing my private studies more on melody for the past few months and I've honestly learned so much from it. Like that melodies almost always start on a note of the tonic triad? Or that the "move towards a cadence" part of a sentence is based on liquidating the previous parts of the melody down to a basic motif and sequencing that? Or that the grand, Romantic, lyrical melodies don't follow either of those structure types and have their own structure? That's all GREAT information for a composer, theorist, or performer to have and none of it gets mentioned even once during the basic studies.

And with form, you only get a brief descriptor of what the parts of a Sonata are and that there's Binary, Rondo, and Ternary forms. How are the individual sections created and how are they expanded from a simple 8-bar phrase into a full section? How are effective transitions made? Exactly HOW do the themes in the exposition get developed? Who knows! None of that gets covered in a basic theory course, even though it's going to give everyone a greater understanding of how the overall piece is structure. Also great information for everyone that we miss out on.

You know what we do get instead? 2 weeks devoted to common tone diminished seventh chords (which appear very rarely) and almost an entire semester devoted to frickin' Serialism (which isn't really that popular outside of academia and is pretty much dead even there). Maybe 4 out of the 64 weeks are devoted to conventional structure and melody, everything else is counterpoint (which is admittedly fairly useful) and harmony (mildly useful, but it's overemphasized).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: May 28, 2019, 08:53:54 PM »
^ sounds like a lot of higher education in general, you learn the rare crazy stuff that has little to no application in the real world.  I'm guessing knowing that stuff then allows you to learn the rest yourself in practice.  I don't know anything about what you wrote just thinking it kind of sounds similar to what I learned in college that wasn't very useful other than getting me to learn in general. 

Offline TheCountOfMinnesota

« Reply #425 on: May 28, 2019, 09:43:27 PM »
Controversial: Tool is bad, Maynard isn't special, the rest of the band is talented but the music is ultra boring

Hey, um... I'm not quite sure how to ask this, and I'm sorry if it's awkward but... are we soul mates?  Sorry, that was too forward.  Let me try again: Is this what it feels like when doves cry?
PBR me ASAP

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #426 on: May 28, 2019, 10:14:40 PM »

Hey, um... I'm not quite sure how to ask this, and I'm sorry if it's awkward but... are we soul mates?  Sorry, that was too forward.  Let me try again: Is this what it feels like when doves cry?
It's a match made in whatever Hell Tool haters go to.... :flame:  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #427 on: May 29, 2019, 05:14:07 AM »
Good to hear mention of OC Remixes  :heart I've got a few Final Fantasy album compilation remixes they did (the FF6 one, Balance and Ruin, is particularly good).

I've actually been playing through Chrono Trigger on my phone for the first time. I need to get back on OC Remixes and see what's new as it's been at least 4 years since I've been on there.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #428 on: May 29, 2019, 05:44:12 AM »

It's a match made in whatever Hell Tool haters go to.... :flame:  :biggrin:

:lol

Count, you get it.   :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline romdrums

« Reply #429 on: May 29, 2019, 06:36:59 AM »
Here's a hot-take, music education version:

Music theory and music education focuses WAY too much on harmony, which is comparatively one of the least important aspects of most kinds of music. Especially in comparison to say, melody and form which are two of the most important aspects of music regardless of genre. The only lipservice melody gets in conventional theory texts is a brief description of what a period and sentence are, and maybe a mention of motifs. You cover it for like a week in Music Theory II, and then never again for the next two semesters. I've been focusing my private studies more on melody for the past few months and I've honestly learned so much from it. Like that melodies almost always start on a note of the tonic triad? Or that the "move towards a cadence" part of a sentence is based on liquidating the previous parts of the melody down to a basic motif and sequencing that? Or that the grand, Romantic, lyrical melodies don't follow either of those structure types and have their own structure? That's all GREAT information for a composer, theorist, or performer to have and none of it gets mentioned even once during the basic studies.

And with form, you only get a brief descriptor of what the parts of a Sonata are and that there's Binary, Rondo, and Ternary forms. How are the individual sections created and how are they expanded from a simple 8-bar phrase into a full section? How are effective transitions made? Exactly HOW do the themes in the exposition get developed? Who knows! None of that gets covered in a basic theory course, even though it's going to give everyone a greater understanding of how the overall piece is structure. Also great information for everyone that we miss out on.

You know what we do get instead? 2 weeks devoted to common tone diminished seventh chords (which appear very rarely) and almost an entire semester devoted to frickin' Serialism (which isn't really that popular outside of academia and is pretty much dead even there). Maybe 4 out of the 64 weeks are devoted to conventional structure and melody, everything else is counterpoint (which is admittedly fairly useful) and harmony (mildly useful, but it's overemphasized).

Here's how I sum up my experience in music theory when I was in college:

Semesters 1-3: If you don't follow these exact rules, your music sucks!
Semester 4: Remember those rules we told you to follow?  Well fuck 'em!

The only part of music theory I thought was fun was when our professor in my third semester did chord analysis to some songs from Abbey Road, like Maxwell's Silver Hammer.  Otherwise, it was nothing but old dead white guys.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #430 on: May 29, 2019, 06:47:36 AM »
My overweight cat at 5:00 a.m. is a better singer than Bob Dylan.
Tom Brady is also a better singer than Bob Dylan, as are/were Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Thomas Edison, Thomas Jefferson and Tommy Lee Jones.
You know who isn't though?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #431 on: May 29, 2019, 08:28:33 AM »
My overweight cat at 5:00 a.m. is a better singer than Bob Dylan.
Tom Brady is also a better singer than Bob Dylan, as are/were Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Thomas Edison, Thomas Jefferson and Tommy Lee Jones.
You know who isn't though?

Oh dear lord.... someone ate Vince Neil!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: May 29, 2019, 08:34:02 AM »
The comments are killing me. "Only Vince can sing in 7 languages at the same time"  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #433 on: May 29, 2019, 08:44:49 AM »
I can sort of - not really, but sort of - understand the verse lyrics but he even butchered the vocal breakdown (the "When we started this band, all we needed, needed was a laugh.. years gone by, I'd say we've kicked some ass" part).   

Holy crap.   

My buddy sent me this not long ago:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #434 on: May 29, 2019, 08:58:44 AM »
That's a helluva boiler!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: May 29, 2019, 09:16:55 AM »
Looks like Vince has been seeing Dr. Meal Good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #436 on: May 29, 2019, 09:19:29 AM »
If he keeps that up, someone is going to have to kick start his heart.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: May 29, 2019, 09:38:57 AM »

HAHA.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #438 on: May 29, 2019, 02:10:32 PM »
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Dude, I'm crying laughing!!!! I haven't laughed like that in a long time! LOL! <---- literally!

Oh dear lord.... Vince Neil ate someonel!!
FTFY
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: May 29, 2019, 02:18:25 PM »
 :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #440 on: May 29, 2019, 03:06:20 PM »
So you're telling me I need to go as Vince during Halloween? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: May 29, 2019, 08:04:04 PM »
I'm coming to your Halloween party, cowboy.  For sure.   

I'll go as Mike Reno:

Or Alex Lifeson:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:38:43 AM by Stadler »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: May 29, 2019, 08:19:43 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #443 on: May 30, 2019, 03:29:15 AM »

Hah... I remember when the whole golden ratio aspect of Lateralus had been worked out and people were really working themselves up into a lather about its genius (and often being condescending to anyone not "clever" enough to get it) and here was me just thinking "ehm, they're just big nerds and it doesn't make the music not kinda dull".

I wouldn't go as far as to say Tool's bad, though, but I do get tend to get bored around about the midpoint of a typical Tool song and then have to go listen to some soaring, OTT power metal to find my equilibrium.

I typically find the same true of Meshuggah. For the first minute of a song I'm thinking "yeah, this is really gnarly, great stuff" then about 3 minutes later I'm thinking "ok, moving on from that one thing you're doing...".

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: October 20, 2019, 02:49:36 PM »
The Great Gig in the Sky has some amazing music that is ruined by the sound of a chick's annoying wailing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #445 on: October 20, 2019, 03:01:21 PM »
The Great Gig in the Sky has some amazing music that is ruined by the sound of a chick's annoying wailing.
Well, that's definitely controversial.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #446 on: October 20, 2019, 03:05:15 PM »

So does DT's Home.

*rimshot*
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: October 20, 2019, 04:12:32 PM »

So does DT's Home.

*rimshot*

Seriously though I think the great gig vocal are great and fit the music well.

The moaning in Home is one of the cringest things DT has ever done.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #448 on: October 20, 2019, 04:22:11 PM »
I'm really, REALLY fucking bored of the following:

Metal bands with no sense of humour OR artistic competence. It's been 40 years - you need to have one or the other.

Crap songwriting.  A riff is just a riff. You need a compelling lyric or a decent structure. Usually both.

Super clean production. Give me some life and feel, ferchrissake.

Long albums. Be self-aware. Seriously.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: October 20, 2019, 05:07:59 PM »

Yeah this is DEFINITELY where I'm at these days. If your album is over an hour you better be justifying that length. Every year I seem to enjoy shorter records, and at a glance most of my favorite records just happen to be under 50 minutes or just over 50 minutes. I'm starting to think 45-50 is the sweet spot for me. Some bands could reeeeally learn how to trim the fat, especially metal bands.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #450 on: October 20, 2019, 05:16:36 PM »

Yeah this is DEFINITELY where I'm at these days. If your album is over an hour you better be justifying that length. Every year I seem to enjoy shorter records, and at a glance most of my favorite records just happen to be under 50 minutes or just over 50 minutes. I'm starting to think 45-50 is the sweet spot for me. Some bands could reeeeally learn how to trim the fat, especially metal bands.

Is that why no one wanted to listen to my 100 minute long concept album? Or was it the fact that it's about heroin addiction? Or the fact that they didn't recognize anyone on it?

DAMMIT! Why did no one tell me this before?!?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: October 20, 2019, 05:51:49 PM »
I'm sorry Adami, did you say something? :lol

It isn't the length but the quality of songs.  A 30 minute album can be mediocre and I lose interest.  Same can be said for a long album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #452 on: October 20, 2019, 05:54:39 PM »
can agree, there can be exceptions too but even with albums i like often i wish they had cut down a little to make a really solid 45-55 minute album instead of a 65+ minute one

i say this having one of my favorite discoveries of the year being a 2-hour long album, though

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: October 20, 2019, 06:38:56 PM »

So does DT's Home.

*rimshot*

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: October 20, 2019, 08:01:37 PM »

I agree with this perfectly.