Author Topic: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music  (Read 28642 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2019, 03:36:59 AM »
While I would say their music is decent, I would consider Ghost to be possibly the most overrated band of the last decade. If they didn't have the visual element of the ghouls and Papa and the whole "mythos" surrounding the band, just on the music alone they would be touring small venues and barely anyone would care about them. Then again I have to give them props because while being a pretty average band musically, they have elevated themselves to one of the most popular rock bands today and it's all thanks to the marketing. There's a lot of bands who make much better music who won't get as far as them.

And on the topic of overrated I would also add Death Grips. They started off good and I think they have put out a few decent albums (Money Store is great) but it's become really apparent to me in the last few years that they ran out of ideas quite some time ago and their whole thing has gotten pretty stale.

I think you hit the nail on the head with marketing.  Ghost and Greta Van Fleet are two of the most controversial rock bands right now and its because they have become successful with big time marketing.  However, I think both bands are fantastic and DO write great songs, but both have their odd looks which gets lots of criticism ontop of their marketing that gets many people to dislike them immediately because they feel they aren't worthy. 

Speaking of that marketing, it does make me wonder if these bands are paying someone to get those grammy wins/nominations.  Like how does Ghost actually win a Grammy?  (I think Cirice is a great song, but since when did the Grammys actually find small bands with interesting music and give them awards?)  And being nominated gets you lots of positive press, marketing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2019, 04:43:11 AM »
While I would say their music is decent, I would consider Ghost to be possibly the most overrated band of the last decade. If they didn't have the visual element of the ghouls and Papa and the whole "mythos" surrounding the band, just on the music alone they would be touring small venues and barely anyone would care about them. Then again I have to give them props because while being a pretty average band musically, they have elevated themselves to one of the most popular rock bands today and it's all thanks to the marketing. There's a lot of bands who make much better music who won't get as far as them.

But that begs the question: is the whole image a gimmick, or something smart that actually helps them? the music would be the same even if they'd show up in jeans and t-shirt, should the whole Pope image be consider something negative if it actually puts them on the map? the notes are only seven in the end, you have to come up with something on top to present a show and to make yourself recognizable.

You say that the music is decent at best, and that many bands make better music; I daresay that anyone would agree that Iron Maiden has better music than mostly everything in metal, do they need with such strong songs Eddie? of course not .But they DO have Eddie, and it made them even more popular, and it's something unique to see Eddie during their show, can you blame them for it?

From the band's perspective I can't fault them and if anything (like I did) I will say that Tobias Forge has been clever with Ghost and how that added element has made the band more popular. Instead of being just another band that take the stage in every day clothes and have normal stage lightning, Ghost has created something different and it works as a way to get people interested. I think many of us first checked them out because of that element, and then most people stuck around because the music is pretty decent. My only issue really is I think the music (while being decent) really doesn't measure up to them filling out big venues.

As for Iron Maiden I think what separates them from Ghost for me is they have been on top of their game and have been a stand out in the heavy metal community since the start. I think Ghost has put out a few decent albums but Iron Maiden has put out some really great ones, classics that will be remembered and treasured for decades to come. I think Eddie is a cool gimmick and keeping him as a mascot through the years was a smart decision but it also doesn't take away anything.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2019, 07:47:57 AM »

But that begs the question: is the whole image a gimmick, or something smart that actually helps them? the music would be the same even if they'd show up in jeans and t-shirt, should the whole Pope image be consider something negative if it actually puts them on the map? the notes are only seven in the end, you have to come up with something on top to present a show and to make yourself recognizable.

You say that the music is decent at best, and that many bands make better music; I daresay that anyone would agree that Iron Maiden has better music than mostly everything in metal, do they need with such strong songs Eddie? of course not .But they DO have Eddie, and it made them even more popular, and it's something unique to see Eddie during their show, can you blame them for it?

Look, I'm a Kiss fan, so I know from gimmick and image.   But I know for me, the whole "Papa" thing is more of a turn off than turn on.  I saw them open for Maiden, and while I was prepared to hate them, the music was better than I expected*(by a significant amount).  But it was just too... schlocky for me.   Plus the stage "banter" about female orgasms was, shall we say, unexpected (if you can call any reference to "female orgasms" "banter").   

To me there's a difference between elevating a stage show with accoutrements - Eddie; Halford's Harley, various bands' light shows - and having the whole package, from start to finish, be part of the gimmick.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2019, 07:56:48 AM »
I've never cared for Ghost's gimmick, the music is what matters to me and they are pretty solid there.  I do find the Papa changing to be intriguing and gives the band a changing character as the music evolves.  It adds a nice twist to the whole band image, but I don't care about ghouls or satanic rituals.  Thats more of a turn off... but the songs are just too good to ignore the band as a whole.  They'll never be a favorite band of mine though as long as they have a gimmick, I can enjoy that stuff for what it is but I can never take it to another level where you truly connect with a band like Iron Maiden or Dream Theater.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2019, 08:12:12 AM »
It's funny because at first I sort of dismissed Ghost as a gimmick band without having really heard them, but then one day Cirice was played on the radio and I thought "Hmm... this sounds pretty good, I wonder what band this is"... and it turned out to be Ghost. :lol So at least in my case it was purely the music that drew me in, though I'm still more of a casual fan than a diehard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2019, 08:38:08 AM »
Madonna is the most overrated musician in music history.  Neither her singing or composing abilities are outstanding compared with artists of her decade, (None of her songs particularly stand out compared to songs from, say, Cyndi Lauper or Whitney Houston) and most of her success came from pure sex selling schticks. To compare her with Michael Jackson as Queen of pop is asinine; MJ is lightyears away.

I cannot agree with this.  I cannot think of a single by either Lauper or Houston that compares to the best 10 or so songs that Madonna did. Madonna has never been the best singer, and while she always has a vision for the kind of songs and album she wants to do, she obviously needs help to make that vision come to fruition.  That said, she has always been a marketing genius and that is why she has always been front and center, but without the songs, she never would have made it this long, and she really does have a lot of good songs.  Sure, it's pop music, but who says pop music can't be good when done well? :)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2019, 08:48:00 AM »
Madonna is the most overrated musician in music history.  Neither her singing or composing abilities are outstanding compared with artists of her decade, (None of her songs particularly stand out compared to songs from, say, Cyndi Lauper or Whitney Houston) and most of her success came from pure sex selling schticks. To compare her with Michael Jackson as Queen of pop is asinine; MJ is lightyears away.
I cannot agree with this.  I cannot think of a single by either Lauper or Houston that compares to the best 10 or so songs that Madonna did. Madonna has never been the best singer, and while she always has a vision for the kind of songs and album she wants to do, she obviously needs help to make that vision come to fruition.  That said, she has always been a marketing genius and that is why she has always been front and center, but without the songs, she never would have made it this long, and she really does have a lot of good songs.  Sure, it's pop music, but who says pop music can't be good when done well? :)
I guess it comes down to taste. I do listen to some Pop but I really haven't found any of her songs particularly good or memorable in any manner. I'm not saying her songs are bad-after all you're right in the sense that without the songs she wouldn't have made it this far; but I don't really think they stand out as having a particular style or relevance: to my ears, they could have been made by just any other artist of the time.

She is unique, don't get me wrong, But The uniqueness in my opinion only came from the visuals of her videos and appearances, and the marketing built around it which...  Actually Coincides with the discussion the other folks are having about Ghost :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »

I guess it comes down to taste. I do listen to some Pop but I really haven't found any of her songs particularly good or memorable in any manner. I'm not saying her songs are bad-after all you're right in the sense that without the songs she wouldn't have made it this far; but I don't really think they stand out as having a particular style or relevance: to my ears, they could have been made by just any other artist of the time.

Okay, but sometimes a good song is just that: a good song. 

Borderline, Live to Tell and Like a Prayer are her 80's hits that I think are her best, and I have noticed that even a lot of rock fans seem to like some or all of those particular songs.

And the Ray of Light album from the later 90's is fantastic from start to finish. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2019, 08:53:05 AM »
My parents had a Madonna tape they would play in the car often as a kid and I loved it for whatever reason, and to this day I still kind of dig those songs.  Funny cause in another thread I mentioned how my parents also loved the Beatles and yet that never clicked for me, but Madonna did  :lol

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2019, 09:08:05 AM »
Sure, it's pop music, but who says pop music can't be good when done well? :)

Yep. There are quality stuff in pop music. Dismissing the entire genre of pop music is just not right. Prince is a pop artist who is held in very high regard by many rock fans, mostly due to his huge talent.
Little Red Corvette, 1999, When Doves Cry - great pop tunes

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2019, 09:13:00 AM »
I've never cared for Ghost's gimmick, the music is what matters to me and they are pretty solid there.  I do find the Papa changing to be intriguing and gives the band a changing character as the music evolves.  It adds a nice twist to the whole band image, but I don't care about ghouls or satanic rituals.  Thats more of a turn off... but the songs are just too good to ignore the band as a whole.  They'll never be a favorite band of mine though as long as they have a gimmick, I can enjoy that stuff for what it is but I can never take it to another level where you truly connect with a band like Iron Maiden or Dream Theater.

Any Satanic stuff/imagery/lyrical themes in rock and metal music - it's automatically a turn off for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2019, 09:35:06 AM »

Okay, but sometimes a good song is just that: a good song. 

Borderline, Live to Tell and Like a Prayer are her 80's hits that I think are her best, and I have noticed that even a lot of rock fans seem to like some or all of those particular songs.

And the Ray of Light album from the later 90's is fantastic from start to finish.

Live To Tell, Like A Prayer, Ray Of Light (the song), Beautiful Stranger (from the Austin Powers soundtrack)... all great songs.

I get Prince and have no doubt about his talent, but I struggle to connect with his music.  I try - I have the 3-CD greatest hits, the "black" album, and Diamonds And Pearls (and have heard Purple Rain too many times to count) - but I can't name a song by him that I just put on because it's "awesome".  Everything by him is highly regarded only because of a clinical admiration for his talent. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2019, 09:44:34 AM »
My parents had a Madonna tape they would play in the car often as a kid and I loved it for whatever reason, and to this day I still kind of dig those songs.  Funny cause in another thread I mentioned how my parents also loved the Beatles and yet that never clicked for me, but Madonna did  :lol

Some of her hits from the 80's are a bit too bubblegum pop for me, but she actually has quite a few good songs from this century. Confessions on a Dance Floor had a handful of really good songs, and her last album, Rebel Heart, had a few really good songs (the title track, Joan of Arc, Ghosttown).  On the flip side, she did that Bitch I'm Madonna song that is one of the worst things I've ever heard.  :lol :lol

I get Prince and have no doubt about his talent, but I struggle to connect with his music.  I try - I have the 3-CD greatest hits, the "black" album, and Diamonds And Pearls (and have heard Purple Rain too many times to count) - but I can't name a song by him that I just put on because it's "awesome".  Everything by him is highly regarded only because of a clinical admiration for his talent.

I mostly agree. I do think Purple Rain is outstanding from start to finish, and he has a few other songs I dig, but a lot of what else I have heard I simply do not connect with.  His early album Dirty Mind, which is highly-regarded, I finally checked it out recently, and it was okay, but I can't imagine going out of my way to hear it again.  It's not bad, and I see the appeal for others, but it's not for me.  Same with Sign o' the Times, which many ejaculate over, but aside from the title track, U Got the Look and a couple other tunes, it is a hard pass for me.

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2019, 09:19:31 AM »
I started to get interested in music thanks to Green Day's American Idiot and then became fan of Blink-182 and other pop-punk bands. And to be honest, while I don't listen to much of those bands anymore and I do enjoy some Rush (I think A Farewell To King, Permanent Waves and Grace Under Pressure are great), if you were to ask me to make a top 50 of my favorite albums I can say that American Idiot and Blink-182 self-titled album would rank above any Rush album (I guess that's pretty controversial  :)) Part of it might just be nostalagia, but this person might come from a similar place than me.

It's unbelievable to me. And yeah, words can't describe how controversial it is.  ;D

Between me and all my friends this is not controversial at all. Blink-182 and Green Day were monumental to me and I have little to no interest in Rush. The music those two bands wrote will always be a big deal to me and my musical journey. I am able to understand that some people are in agreement with me and some aren't, this is down to personal tastes and experiences. It's really very simple.

One is to assume that you are a member of a Dream Theater board because you are at least somewhat a fan of Dream Theater.
Using that logic, I just cannot comprehend how even a casual fan of Dream Theater would "have little to no interest in Rush". Oh, well.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2019, 10:14:07 AM »
Rush just bores me as well  :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2019, 10:21:34 AM »
70's/80's hard rock and progressive metal are two different genres?

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »
The Offspring circa 1989 - 2003 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Green Day and Blink 182

After that, all three suck equally.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2019, 10:38:26 AM »
I get Prince and have no doubt about his talent, but I struggle to connect with his music. 

I have never cared for anything Prince has ever done. But I am not even sure of this immense talent I keep hearing about. And that whole name change thing to that sign was just dumb (I get the statement he was trying to make. It was still dumb).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »
I started to get interested in music thanks to Green Day's American Idiot and then became fan of Blink-182 and other pop-punk bands. And to be honest, while I don't listen to much of those bands anymore and I do enjoy some Rush (I think A Farewell To King, Permanent Waves and Grace Under Pressure are great), if you were to ask me to make a top 50 of my favorite albums I can say that American Idiot and Blink-182 self-titled album would rank above any Rush album (I guess that's pretty controversial  :)) Part of it might just be nostalagia, but this person might come from a similar place than me.

It's unbelievable to me. And yeah, words can't describe how controversial it is.  ;D

Between me and all my friends this is not controversial at all. Blink-182 and Green Day were monumental to me and I have little to no interest in Rush. The music those two bands wrote will always be a big deal to me and my musical journey. I am able to understand that some people are in agreement with me and some aren't, this is down to personal tastes and experiences. It's really very simple.

One is to assume that you are a member of a Dream Theater board because you are at least somewhat a fan of Dream Theater.
Using that logic, I just cannot comprehend how even a casual fan of Dream Theater would "have little to no interest in Rush". Oh, well.

tbh I'm not a huge fan of classic Rush and the reason is 100% Geddy Lee's singing

I like their instrumentals quite a bit though, and the last two albums are fine now that his voice has mellowed out quite a bit

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2019, 11:52:35 AM »

tbh I'm not a huge fan of classic Rush and the reason is 100% Geddy Lee's singing

I like their instrumentals quite a bit though, and the last two albums are fine now that his voice has mellowed out quite a bit

I think Geddy's singing was way better on Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures than Clockwork Angels. His voice on CA seems shot to me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2019, 12:23:23 PM »
When some pages ago I said something like "Pop music can have actual nice songs but the music is crappy", because often it's plastified with autotune and dance-y rhytms, of course I didn't refer to all of pop music, but just to bring an example of how to ruin a potentially good song...

This was one of the major "summer hits" last year in Italy. At least I believe I guess, I'm not exactly following the scene. Here's an acoustic version sang by a random YouTuber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ7Qh5uYy4w

Ok, nothing out of this world but it's a nice melody and of course it has a catchy chorus, right? something one can live with...

Now listen, if you can resist, to the actual song that dominated the radio for all summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4pqF-hwFM4

I mean, I get that it's a genre that works for many people, but COME ON... that plastic voice, basically everything "played" through electronic means, the random rap in the middle of the song and a video with boobs and asses because summer. There's a nice song in there and it's completely ruined by a horrible arrangement. Is that really all it takes to be listened by everyone on the radio?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »
Kylie Minogue is better than Madonna.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »

Yes, I am a fan of Dream Theater. They don't rate as high for me (as a band) as they do for most people on here. I went through a big DT phase about 5 years ago, somehow wound up here and stayed for all the awesome music that was being discussed in the GMD.

I love all different types of music but from what I have listened to of Rush (3 or 4 of their popular albums) just didn't interest me. I haven't listened to everything they have to offer but from what I have heard, I'd take pop punk over them any day  :lol

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2019, 06:46:25 PM »
Another one:

The 4Kids Yugioh, Pokemon, and One Piece themes are straight up fire, don't @ me

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »
^^  I actually had a soft spot for the One Piece Rap theme song.  It's like 12-year old me thought this seemed like a theme song that best fitted a pirate anime (and this was before I knew anything deeply about music and anime/manga).  It's the "Ya-yo," that makes it for me.  26-year old me still liked it though after listening to it again right now.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2019, 09:28:03 PM »
Honestly yeah, I still bop to that shit

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2019, 03:27:24 AM »
Meatloaf ROCKS!!!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2019, 04:13:32 AM »
Meatloaf ROCKS!!!  :metal

What's controversial about that?  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2019, 03:07:33 PM »
Another one:

The 4Kids Yugioh, Pokemon, and One Piece themes are straight up fire, don't @ me

All those old 90's shows had amazing themes. Monster Rancher, Beetleborgs, Power Rangers, The Magic School Bus, The Puzzle Place.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2019, 03:10:41 PM »
Another one:

All those old 90's shows had amazing themes. Monster Rancher, Beetleborgs, Power Rangers, The Magic School Bus, The Puzzle Place.

The Power Rangers theme is so dope that I have two friends who have each burned the Power Rangers soundtracks to CDs and hid them in their cars so their girlfriends wouldn't find them. When my best friend comes over, sometimes we have too many drinks and play the Power Rangers theme a bit too loudly.  :lol

On the subject of anime, I still get down to a lot of anime music. There's some really good stuff out there. Although I'm not into anime much anymore, I like almost all of Inuyasha's opening and ending credits music (Fukai Mori, Dearest, and Every Heart especially). Yu Yu Hakusho has my favorite opening song ever, though. And Cowboy Bebop... awesome all around.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline 425

« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2019, 11:44:52 PM »

I think Geddy's singing was way better on Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures than Clockwork Angels. His voice on CA seems shot to me.

IMO, Geddy’s best vocal album is Grace Under Pressure, which is also one of Rush’s best albums.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2019, 04:11:07 AM »
And Cowboy Bebop... awesome all around.

So good that I have it as my ringtone  :heart

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: March 11, 2019, 07:34:58 AM »

IMO, Geddy’s best vocal album is Grace Under Pressure, which is also one of Rush’s best albums.

I despise p/g - it's in their bottom tier for me - but I would vote "Signals" for his best vocal album, so I think we're in general agreement on the basic point. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2019, 04:38:09 PM »
I can’t stand Geddy’s warbling on recent a,bums. Classic Geddy is fine by me.

P/g is a favourite of mine but the second side wasn’t as good as the first

Offline 425

« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2019, 08:22:55 PM »

I despise p/g - it's in their bottom tier for me - but I would vote "Signals" for his best vocal album, so I think we're in general agreement on the basic point.

Yeah, vocally they're pretty similar performances in terms of style and quality. I give slight the edge to p/g mainly because I think the music is a little better suited to his style on that album—and also because I like that album a little better.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time