Author Topic: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music  (Read 28578 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music
« Reply #175 on: March 13, 2019, 01:19:51 AM »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Trav86

« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2019, 11:11:21 AM »
IMO, Geddy’s best vocal album is Grace Under Pressure, which is also one of Rush’s best albums.

I think Presto and Roll The Bones contain Geddy’s best vocals. It was after Test For Echo that he lost it.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2019, 06:08:26 PM »
I don't know how any album not called Power Windows can even be considered for Geddy's best vocal album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2019, 06:20:48 PM »
I don't know how any album not called Power Windows can even be considered for Geddy's best vocal album.

Amen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2019, 04:56:21 PM »
IMO, Geddy’s best vocal album is Grace Under Pressure, which is also one of Rush’s best albums.

I think Presto and Roll The Bones contain Geddy’s best vocals. It was after Test For Echo that he lost it.

Some of his warbling starts creeping in on Counterpoints.  but yeah it really started to go with Test For Echo.  Roll The Bones is the last unassailable vocal performance by Geddy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »
You guys are all wrong. It was around 2004 where Geddy started to lose his voice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2019, 05:29:15 PM »
Hard to remember exactly, but I know that the S&A tour was the last one where he sounded good live (even though they had declined).  I literally cannot watch the Time Machine, Clockwork Angles Live and R40 live DVD's because his vocals are too brutal to handle.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2019, 06:18:23 PM »

Amen.

+1
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #183 on: March 17, 2019, 06:25:19 PM »
Wrong PW.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2019, 06:31:35 PM »
As much as I love Permanent Waves,  Geddy's best singing is on Power Windows.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2019, 06:32:47 PM »
I love Permanent Waves, but I don't see how it even comes close to Power Windows vocally.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2019, 07:25:48 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2019, 07:31:19 PM »
Only for the misguided.  Or Tim. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2019, 07:36:21 PM »
Only a 6 minute response time!

Nice. Must be clear skies for the Bat Signal. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2019, 07:48:19 PM »
I was pissed I had to put my drink down to type that out. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: March 17, 2019, 07:57:51 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #191 on: March 17, 2019, 07:59:07 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2019, 07:59:28 PM »
The Dark Knight soon. Lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2019, 08:00:11 PM »
Jeez Kev, it's bad enough you copy WildRanger.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2019, 08:01:06 PM »
Jeez Kev, it's bad enough you copy WildRanger.

:lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2019, 08:05:27 PM »
 :lol

Oh Tim you fail and win here.  So confusing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2019, 08:08:56 PM »
Reminds me of another recent thread..What Side Of TAC do you prefer?

-The winning one that fails some of the time, or
-The failing one who wins some of the time.

;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2019, 08:10:43 PM »
That's like asking if you want a baloney sandwich with or without processed cheese.  Both are just wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2019, 08:15:43 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2019, 08:24:08 PM »
There is no other band where I love a stretch of albums (2112-Moving Pictures) as much as a dislike a stretch (whatever is after MP up to Presto) as much as I am ambivalent about the rest (everything before 2112, everything after Presto).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JusticeBringer

« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2019, 08:42:36 PM »
Steven Wilson has produced many great albums, and his remastering of old prog albums are stellar. I just wish he'd stick to that since his songwriting and vocals are some of the dullest in prog.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2019, 04:35:44 AM »
Songwriting? Lol

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2019, 06:11:12 AM »
There is no other band where I love a stretch of albums (2112-Moving Pictures) as much as a dislike a stretch (whatever is after MP up to Presto) as much as I am ambivalent about the rest (everything before 2112, everything after Presto).

I think the general consensus is that the best period of Rush discography is from 2112 to Moving Pictures, those 5 are their highest-rated albums. Pre-2112 and post-Pictures stuff are more or less polarizing.
Personally I dig every Rush album from Fly by Night to Power Windows, plus Counterparts and Clockwork Angels, the rest is really meh to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2019, 07:19:45 AM »
I've been listening to the Sector box sets again - I'd love to revisit that thread where the relative merits of each of the releases was discussed, because I think the Sector boxes sound really good on my system - and I'm consistently surprised at how good Fly By Night is even to this day.    I know it's a form of conditioning, but there's something to the idea of 20 minutes, sequenced, with a break and twenty more sequenced minutes, forming a concise musical statement.   The only song I really don't care for is "Best I Can", and even then, it's not horrid (well, the lyrics are, but oh well, I like Kiss and Van Halen too, so I can live). 

Offline 425

« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2019, 03:23:26 PM »
I'm not in love with Fly By Night, but I think it is probably the best album pre-AFTK.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »
I've been listening to the Sector box sets again - I'd love to revisit that thread where the relative merits of each of the releases was discussed, because I think the Sector boxes sound really good on my system - and I'm consistently surprised at how good Fly By Night is even to this day.    I know it's a form of conditioning, but there's something to the idea of 20 minutes, sequenced, with a break and twenty more sequenced minutes, forming a concise musical statement.   The only song I really don't care for is "Best I Can", and even then, it's not horrid (well, the lyrics are, but oh well, I like Kiss and Van Halen too, so I can live).

In The End is one of my favorite Rush tunes. Especially the ATWAS version.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2019, 04:54:22 PM »
Opeth is way way way better without the growls. See: my post in the favorite Opeth album thread. Blackwater's a good album but Watershed has the perfect balance of light and heavy. Pale Communion is one of the best things they've ever done. I like Axenrot more than Lopez. Every growly album prior to Watershed other than Blackwater is a dud. I'll give everyone time to clutch their pearls.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline 425

« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2019, 04:56:48 PM »
Opeth is way way way better without the growls. See: my post in the favorite Opeth album thread. Blackwater's a good album but Watershed has the perfect balance of light and heavy. Pale Communion is one of the best things they've ever done. I like Axenrot more than Lopez. Every growly album prior to Watershed other than Blackwater is a dud. I'll give everyone time to clutch their pearls.

This, except, for me, replace Pale Communion with Heritage.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2019, 05:02:22 PM »

This, except, for me, replace Pale Communion with Heritage.

I thank you for taking some of the heat off my back with the hottest Opeth take. My man.  :tup

Offline 425

« Reply #209 on: March 27, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »
No problem! :lol Always happy to lend a hand (and talk up Heritage).
And if spirit's a sign,