Poll

Which group of 4 albums do you prefer?

ADTOE, DT12, TA, d/t
WDADU, IAW, Awake, FII
IAW, Awake, FII, SFAM
Awake, FII, SFAM, SDOIT

Author Topic: The 4 MM-era albums VS Any 4-album run of MP-era between WDADU & SDOIT  (Read 1780 times)

Offline The Letter M

Since the results of the other poll have surprised me, I figured I'd see how the four MM-era albums fare against any four-album-run of the earlier portion of the MP-era albums.

Do you prefer the four most recent albums, or any of the other three options that feature four consecutive releases among the band's first six albums? I suspect options 3 and 4 might get a lot of votes, but it'll be interesting to see if the last four albums get as many votes as the other 3 options combined.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Volante99

Gotta go with IAW, Awake, FII, SFaM

FII is pretty weak but IAW, Awake, and SFaM are, pound for pound, probably the greatest albums DT have ever done.

Offline Rattlehead

FII is pretty weak but IAW, Awake, and SFaM are, pound for pound, probably the greatest albums DT have ever done.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Offline krands85

Yeah, it has to be the I&W-Scenes run for me. The strength of those 2 albums alone is enough to elevate it above any other run of 4. Awake is also a really solid album and backs it up nicely. FII is the weak link, but I find that all of their 4-album runs have at least one.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline SleeperAwake

I&W, Awake, FII, SFAM and SDOIT are my five favourite DT albums. I like I&W more than SDOIT.

So option 3 it is.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I voted IAW, Awake, FII, SFAM, but it's really a toss up between that and Awake, FII, SFAM, SDOIT.

Offline bill1971

Option 3. I&W, Awake and Scenes are very strong.
FII is solid but i would put it below D/T, ADTOE and The Astonishing.

I think they peaked at Scenes then went slowly downhill until ADTOE. Some amazing music even on the down turn, still easily in my top 2 to 4 top bands. But they righted the ship with ADTOE. That being said IW, Awake and Scenes are vintage DT.

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

I went with option 4.

FII is one of my least favorites but Awake, SFAM, SDOIT are top 5 albums for me.

Offline darkshade

Option 3 or 4, I went with 4, only because I have more emotional attachment to SDOIT than I do with IaW.

Offline Dedalus

3 (I&W and SFAM)  :hefdaddy

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The 4 MM-era albums VS Any 4-album run of MP-era between WDADU & SDOIT
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 12:37:25 AM »
Even though the MM era has my favorite album it's not really fair competition.

3. Images and Words, Awake, Falling into Infinity and Scenes from a Memory

Has three really high ranking albums and Falling into Infinity is quite nice too

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 02:10:33 AM »

This is basically it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 02:15:18 AM »
I&W, Awake, FII, SFAM and SDOIT are my five favourite DT albums. I like I&W more than SDOIT.

So option 3 it is.

Perfectly said... it came down to i&w being my number 2 and sdoit being my #3.

So I chose option 3 but it’s close to a toss up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 08:20:51 AM »
Well, this was easy:

Images through Scenes.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 08:29:04 AM »
MM era for me. (more precise execution, far better songwriting, no dictatorship in the band)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bill1971

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 10:02:09 AM »
MM era for me. (more precise execution, far better songwriting, no dictatorship in the band)

I think the MM 4 albums are a close second. It's interesting you say dictatorship because I think for Images through SFAM that they were more of a band before MP started thinking himself as the DT leader and are stronger albums for it.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 10:06:41 AM »

I think the MM 4 albums are a close second. It's interesting you say dictatorship because I think for Images through SFAM that they were more of a band before MP started thinking himself as the DT leader and are stronger albums for it.
yeah you'd have to read the DT biography for that (or let's say that was my impression about that period of time after reading these particular chapters and the difference that followed afterwards when MM joined) Although you might be right that the cohesion was there up until Awake and then maybe for Met2, but afterwards it all was a mess in that regard IMHO.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 10:24:59 AM »

yeah you'd have to read the DT biography for that (or let's say that was my impression about that period of time after reading these particular chapters and the difference that followed afterwards when MM joined) Although you might be right that the cohesion was there up until Awake and then maybe for Met2, but afterwards it all was a mess in that regard IMHO.

I never read that book. I really should. It covers the Mangini era?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 10:27:28 AM »
Mangini era up until 2013-ish.  (shortly before DT12 came out IIRC) And yes, it definitely is a well-written and well-researched book. Highly recommended.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »
WDADU, Images, Awake, FII. Also known as my 4 favourite DT albums.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 11:22:37 AM »
The only unfortunate part of this is that FII infects all three of the MP-era album options.  Ultimately, however, FII and TA cancel each other out, and both I&W/Awake/SFAM and Awake/SFAM/SDOIT easily beat out ADTOE/DT12/DOT.  I couldn't bring myself to pick SDOIT over I&W, so I went with the I&W through SFAM combo.

It would be much closer if there were only two choices:  first four v. last four.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 11:55:22 AM »
Awake thru 6DOIT.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 01:42:05 PM »
Awake - FII - SFAM - SDOIT

SDOIT (1) and SFAM (2) are my favorites albums.

Awake was the album that got me into DT.
FII has aged quite well for me.