Author Topic: New forum theme  (Read 2376 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
New forum theme
« on: February 22, 2019, 06:37:24 PM »
Hallo peeps. As per usual, to celebrate the new album, we have a new theme. The overall forum default has been reset. If you wish to return to an older theme, you may do so under:

Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Layout.

Enjoy the new album, and hope you like the new theme!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: New forum theme
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 06:51:56 PM »
Thank you for your work, but damn, that red/purple is blinding me and making my eyes water. Any other options?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:55:17 PM »
I've been using the winner winner chicken dinner theme since it was first out. Gives the feels for the old mp.forum. I do love the new theme though, it's just a tad too blinding for me. I've grown used to dark mode everything even on PC so I default to everything dark anytime I can.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 06:55:37 PM »
Like it!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 07:17:45 PM »
Normally I don’t give a second thought to the theme but I really dig this a lot.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:54:00 PM by Stadler »

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 08:47:59 PM »
Yea I really love this theme.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 09:17:27 PM »
It was a nice shock.  Appreciate the efforts.

Had to go back to the 'Beneath the Surface' background.  Wish you could do the new album artwork with the blue backdrop.

EDIT:  It is good and refreshing to open the forum with a new 'welcome'.  I really like the little added NOMAC touch.  So, I have the best of both worlds with this.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:34:36 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 09:18:11 PM »
This might be the best theme yet. I have been using the Don Ron one for a long time because of how visually pleasing the colors are, but I might stick with this new one. Well done.  :tup :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 09:19:42 PM »
This might be the best theme yet. I have been using the Don Ron one for a long time because of how visually pleasing the colors are, but I might stick with this new one. Well done.  :tup :tup

So, you're the other person still bitter over the failed 2016 Don/Ron candidacy (I'm still hopeful they'll re-run in 2020)  :lol

I'll give this theme the weekend, then see if it's back to Don and Ron.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 09:22:10 PM »

So, you're the other person still bitter over the failed 2016 Don/Ron candidacy (I'm still hopeful they'll re-run in 2020)  :lol

I'll give this theme the weekend, then see if it's back to Don and Ron.

Haha, I have zero recollection what Don and Ron even refer to; I just really like the colors and how the forum looks with that theme.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 09:24:34 PM »
Photoshop Don?  One of the best thread's ever.  I forget what the DTF-meme for Ron was all about.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42037.msg1839596#msg1839596

Sadly... the links to Jen's old forum are dead, so the original threads appear to be gone forever  :sadpanda:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 09:36:26 PM »
I like it.  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 09:39:32 PM »
I love it!

My only issue is that the giant skull and the red make it harder to stealth browse at work (themes with lots of blue and white don't call attention to those taking a quick glance)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 10:47:00 PM »
i immediately switched back to dtfapollo sorry
purple is my aesthetic

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 11:28:10 PM »
This is a really cool theme.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 01:09:27 AM »
Thank you for your work, but damn, that red/purple is blinding me and making my eyes water. Any other options?

I will work on a dark contrast theme at some point, I just didn't have time this year to make two before the release date.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 01:25:53 AM »
I think that it looks fantastic. Great Work!!!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 03:00:18 AM »
Love the new theme! :tup

Might keep this for a while.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 04:37:10 AM »
The theme itself is absolutely cool and congratulations on a very nice job  :tup but please don't take it as a dis if I say that, no matter how good a theme is, darker colors will always be more pleasant to the eye... (such as the Beneath the Surface theme which is what I was using)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 06:49:17 AM »

I will work on a dark contrast theme at some point, I just didn't have time this year to make two before the release date.

No worries bro. I'm back to the NOMAC theme.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 07:35:35 AM »
Thank you again. So well done.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline T-ski

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 08:59:53 AM »
I like it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 10:17:40 AM »
I’m digging it. Gonna use it for a bit to let it sink in. Thanks for creating it  :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2019, 10:38:53 AM »
Yes, great theme. I'll be keeping it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 10:41:22 AM »
I'm strictly #TeamDarkBackground but within the realm of light backgrounds that one is pretty cool. I was actually fine to browse with it for a little bit before switching back to my beloved Beneath the Surface.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 11:57:15 AM »
I'm in the same boat as a few others. I love the theme... But I can't go back to the light side. The darkness as too strong of a grip on me :lol

I'll see how I feel about the light theme on Monday when I'm back on an actual computer.

With that being said... Nice Job XJ. I appreciate the work you put into the themes.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 04:17:09 PM »
Its a cool theme. I Just prefer the DT12 theme more. The darker colors are easier on the eyes. When I opened the forums and found the new theme appeared, I went blind for a bit. Haha..
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 01:45:10 AM »
That's cool theme!

Just wondering if there could be a mobile version of DTF in 2019? Would be easier to browse from the phone.   ::)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 03:33:58 AM »
I'm strictly #TeamDarkBackground but within the realm of light backgrounds that one is pretty cool. I was actually fine to browse with it for a little bit before switching back to my beloved Beneath the Surface.

Ah so you're one of the six that uses it! (I notice the numbers when I change the theme)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 04:23:16 AM »
Nice theme, but I went straight back to the Black Clouds theme.  It's the only one I can look at for a long time.  It's much easier on my eyes and easier to read.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2019, 07:08:25 PM »
That's cool theme!

Just wondering if there could be a mobile version of DTF in 2019? Would be easier to browse from the phone.   ::)

I've been hoping for this for a while :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2019, 10:47:46 AM »
That's cool theme!

I've been hoping for this for a while :lol

SMF has had historically bad support for mobile, and since most of my themes are based heavily off the defaults, to avoid breaking anything too crucial, this has unfortunately carried over into the new themes. However, SMF 2.1 is currently in the release candidate stage, and has a properly mobile optimised layout, so when that eventually gets released and the forum is upgraded to that, I will rework most/some of the themes to work within the new framework, which should imply far superior mobile support in the future. At the moment though I simply don't have the time nor experience to work a lot on making it work for the current crop of themes I'm afraid. I do this development as a volunteer thing, and unfortunately my actual job demands much more of my time nowadays.

Hope that helps explains things, I appreciate its not an extremely satisfactory answer.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2019, 11:51:58 PM »
Thanks for answer. Just wondering if there should be somebody out here who have done applications for app store or Google play store. Because DTF app would be the best way to browse it from phone. Of course it's not your job Denton, somebody who have time and experince. That should even not be overly hard thing to do..
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2019, 07:13:07 AM »
Thanks for the explanation!

There is another forum I visit that has some fantastic mobile support without an app, but I think it's on vbull (www.hardforums.com)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2019, 09:03:46 PM »
Thanks for answer. Just wondering if there should be somebody out here who have done applications for app store or Google play store. Because DTF app would be the best way to browse it from phone. Of course it's not your job Denton, somebody who have time and experince. That should even not be overly hard thing to do..

The thing with a forum that makes it difficult is that, by the nature of a forum, where posts are constantly being added, and there are links, pictures, emoticons, and all kinds of other files involved, the database is huge and very dynamic (it changes by the second as new posts are added, quoted, etc.).  There are lots of downloadable modifications and apps out there.  But if they are not done by SMF (the makers of this forum software), then there is a real danger of there being a bug somewhere that causes a crash and possibly loss of the database.  That is why the forum crashed years ago and we had to start over.  So while it may seem like a simple thing to find an app or a mod out there, we decided long ago that we are going to stay away from those because of the risk of a total disaster.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."