Author Topic: Thoughts on the Artbook version of Distance Over Time?  (Read 2732 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

Thoughts on the Artbook version of Distance Over Time?
« on: February 22, 2019, 05:19:12 PM »
I have a lead on one, but I'm curious as to what people here think, based on what's included.  I honestly have no need for the 5.1 mixes, so the draw would be the instrumental CD and then whatever's included in the artbook.  Anything worth going out of my way for in the artbook?  Does it have "re-read" value, as it were?

Thanks!

Offline JRuless

Re: Thoughts on the Artbook version of Distance Over Time?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 05:41:39 PM »
Actually. I listened the 5.1 mix this afternoon, along with the animations.
It sounds absolutly fantastic! And the size of the book gives it a vinyl feel ..i like it very much!

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 05:43:56 PM »
It sounds absolutly fantastic! And the size of the book gives it a vinyl feel ..i like it very much!

I don't have a 5.1 setup, so that stuff is wasted on me.

What kind of stuff is in the book?  It was advertised as having photos from the writing session (meh) but also extended liners and art, which could be kinda cool.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 05:54:08 PM »
Has anyone in the US been able to get one either through preorder or at a store? I ordered it on Amazon and they list the release date as March 15th. And for that matter, anyone in US able to buy the CD at a store? I usually used to pick any CD up from Best Buy but now I don't see any CDs listed on their site.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline JRuless

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 03:41:23 AM »

I don't have a 5.1 setup, so that stuff is wasted on me.

What kind of stuff is in the book?  It was advertised as having photos from the writing session (meh) but also extended liners and art, which could be kinda cool.

Its a vinylsize book with a spread per song, lyrics & picture, the book ends with  one spread with a bunch of photos from the writing sessions, a reflection by Rick Florino, and a interview with the band.
But for me its all about the high quality 5.1 mixes. Sucks you in!

Nice edition.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 04:46:28 AM »
I just received mine.
I don't care about the 5+1 mixes (I actually don't like them, same as ultra HD tv...) But it's a beautiful edition indeed.
Glad I bought this one
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di piů

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 03:54:17 PM »
Has anyone in the US been able to get one either through preorder or at a store? I ordered it on Amazon and they list the release date as March 15th. And for that matter, anyone in US able to buy the CD at a store? I usually used to pick any CD up from Best Buy but now I don't see any CDs listed on their site.

I ordered the 4 disc set through amazon about a month ago and now it appears it's gone to a 3rd party seller and no notification as to when it will ship. I want this version, but do not want to over pay for it.

Wondering if I should cancel my order and get it from a more trusted source. I kind of expected this to show up Friday or a few days after, but I don't want to wait for an extended period, but I don't want the single disc either. Guess I need to check out other options.

Offline TL

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 04:26:13 PM »
Not in the US, but I was able to walk in and buy a copy at a record store here in Canada. They had CDs and vinyl, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had a few of the art book ones. I ended up getting the vinyl and the art book. They had it for a decent price, and I'm a sucker for things like this. Also, for the OP, the DVD and Blu Ray both have a high res version of the album in addition to the 5.1 mixes.

As for big box stores, yeah, they seem to have mostly phased out this kind of thing outside of the biggest of big releases, and even then it's thin.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 04:39:03 PM »

Best Buy exited the CD market last year. The stores by me removed the sections entirely. Target has announced they are leaving too at some point. Not a lot of brick and mortar options anymore.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline faizoff

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 05:10:28 AM »

I ordered the 4 disc set through amazon about a month ago and now it appears it's gone to a 3rd party seller and no notification as to when it will ship. I want this version, but do not want to over pay for it.

Wondering if I should cancel my order and get it from a more trusted source. I kind of expected this to show up Friday or a few days after, but I don't want to wait for an extended period, but I don't want the single disc either. Guess I need to check out other options.

I was in two minds about cancelling on amazon and ordering through lasercd.com but I see that even they are shipping the 4 disc artbook edition on March 15th.

Best Buy exited the CD market last year. The stores by me removed the sections entirely. Target has announced they are leaving too at some point. Not a lot of brick and mortar options anymore.
I should've realized that. It's a shame but understandable as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 05:38:20 AM »

Did you heard the instrumental mixes? Could you tell us if the solos are in them and if At Wit's End has its ending without the fadeout?
Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline JRuless

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 05:49:31 AM »
Did you heard the instrumental mixes? Could you tell us if the solos are in them and if At Wit's End has its ending without the fadeout?
Thanks!

Not yet, but will if im at home later on...

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 06:35:49 AM »

Thanks!

I listened to At Wit's End to see... seems exactly the same just without the vocals.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 07:20:18 AM »

I just cancelled my Amazon preorder. It's pretty ridiculous that it's going to ship weeks after the release when I had preordered it. I'll just get a different version from somewhere, sometime.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 07:39:26 AM »
Thanks, JRuless and nobloodyname. I thought they would do something similar to the TBoT's
instrumental mix where they left the song until its very end. At least it seems that they kept the solos in the instrumental mixes this time.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 08:12:40 AM »
I just cancelled my Amazon preorder. It's pretty ridiculous that it's going to ship weeks after the release when I had preordered it. I'll just get a different version from somewhere, sometime.

But it may not have been scheduled to be released till a few weeks later anyway.  Did it originally say 2/22/19 as the release date?  I was going to order it through Barnes and Noble (decided I don't care about the animations and extra stuff in the artbook, so I ordered the 2 CD Japanese version from CD Japan), and it's been saying 3/15/19 for a while now.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 08:16:34 AM »
If I recall correctly, it did. I wouldn't have preordered it otherwise.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 07:09:35 AM »
Received my order the other day and I LOVE IT!

Ever since they starting doing the box sets, I've wanted to get one.  The issue has always been the price - ~$100 to $120 is just too high a bar for me.   When this Artbook version came out and the price was half, I knew I had to get it.

The book is very solid.  Love all the artwork and the lyrics - I'm getting too old to try and read the tiny print of lyrics in a jewel case.  There is several pages of quotes from band members and descriptions of how the album came together.  Rena is the one that came up with the idea for the band to go away together and write.  She strikes me as a really awesome woman, JP is a lucky dude!

One section has pictures of the writing sessions like an old time scrap book.  I'll have to take the time to look more closely at each.

All the bonus content is great.  Usually I'm left to find this stuff online and hope I can get good quality.  To me this makes the album more of an experience, I can watch all the videos for songs, look at the artwork for each track, play with the stems and make my own mixes.  I'll maybe try to find some time to watch the Blu-ray and enjoy the 5.1 mix.

With this release being (IMO) one of their best, definitely recently, this artbook is a must have.  I highly recommend people pick one of these up!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »

I've been considering cancelling but I don't want to lose the price. I think it came in finally at a little less than $50. Haven't gotten any communication about Amazon other than to say it's not available now. This might be the last time I order anything from Amazon regardless.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »

I've been considering cancelling but I don't want to lose the price. I think it came in finally at a little less than $50. Haven't gotten any communication about Amazon other than to say it's not available now.

Same here. I also had some credits to use which saved me a bit. I finally caved and downloaded it from Amazon because I had a few credits from there as well.  Pretty frustrated but I think the fact that they updated it with pictures is a good sign.

Offline deslock

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 06:42:04 AM »
My Barnes and Noble order was canceled yesterday, so I ordered it at Amazon (arrives tomorrow). Especially looking forward to the instrumental versions of Out of Reach and Barstool Warrior.

This is the most I've ever spent on an album. Distance Over Time is superb; after only a few listens, I knew I had to buy the 5.1/instrumental/high def set.

I've been a big Dream Theater fan since 1992, but before this album they weren't in my top five list of bands. They are now:
  • Rush
  • Iron Maiden
  • Yes
  • Dream Theater
  • Béla Fleck and the Flecktones
(they also climbed past Ozric Tentacles and Liquid Tension Experiment in the ranking)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 08:30:48 AM »
I ripped the stereo version that's found on the Blu-ray to FLAC and it is a lot of fun to listen to, esp on good headphones. I love this artbook.

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »
Does anyone have a good image of the vinyl cover artwork. the alternate logo, red background and d / t logo   thanks

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 07:37:01 PM »
I ripped the stereo version that's found on the Blu-ray to FLAC and it is a lot of fun to listen to, esp on good headphones. I love this artbook.

They did a really nice job on the Art Book.

Have to admit I didn't intend to get it, but it was one of the versions with the instrumental disc.

A bit more than I wanted to pay, but it's worth it. Very well done.