Author Topic: **NO SPOILERS ALLOWED** - Setlist Predictions & Wishlist 2019  (Read 19951 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
**NO SPOILERS ALLOWED** - Setlist Predictions & Wishlist 2019
« on: February 22, 2019, 02:51:42 PM »
EDIT by bosk1:  **PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD SPOILER FREE!**  This thread is for predictions, speculation, and other spoiler-free discussion.  If you want to discuss actual set list or tour spoilers, go here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53619.0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let's have some fun!
You can post two lists, what you think it's gonna be and what you would like it to be.

Prediction:
False Awakening Suite
Pale Blue Dot
Paralyzed
Three Days
Voices
Barstool Warrior
Wither
As I Am
Untethered Angel
A Wit's End
Bridges in The Sky

Set #2:
SFAM
ENCORE: Metropolis

Wish list: They pull a 70's Pink Floyd move and play the 2 whole albums, D/T and SFAM, also Metropolis as encore.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:48:12 PM by bosk1 »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Scottjf8

Re: Setlist Predictions & Wishlist 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 02:54:32 PM »
That's a really long 1st set.  They played 7 songs in the 1st set during IWB.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 03:06:02 PM »
You're right, I need to trim it down.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 03:11:54 PM »
I really don't think they will do this, but I'd be very happy if they played all of the 'standard' edition of Distance Over Time. Every song on it is great and will work fantastically in a live setting. And then all of Scenes, which they've said they're going to play. Plus an encore. Fantasy setlist looks like this:

Fall Into The Light
Paralyzed
S2N
Misunderstood
Barstool Warrior
Room 137
Out of Reach
Untethered Angel
Speak To Me
Pale Blue Dot
At Wit's End

(about 75 minutes)

Intermission

Scenes From A Memory

(75 minutes)

Encore:

The Glass Prison

Total concert: 2:45 hours (3 hours with intermission), which I believe is the usual 'Evening With' run time.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 03:24:12 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 03:14:04 PM »
Untethered Angel
Paralyzed
Erotomania
Voices
The Silent Man
Barstool Warrior
S2N
At Wit's End
Peruvian Skies
Pale Blue Dot
---
SFAM
---
Metropolis

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 03:15:46 PM »
That's a really long 1st set.  They played 7 songs in the 1st set during IWB.

Based solely on the lengths of songs on the albums, it's a little over 85 minutes for the first set + 77 minutes for SFAM + 9 1/2 minutes for Metropolis = about 10 minutes shy of 3 hours.  Not completely unrealistic.  Edit:  Looks like the OP removed "Misunderstood" from the first set right as I was posting this, so the 85 minute figure has changed.

What I think IS unrealistic are the lack of an instrumental in the first set, the omission of "Surrender to Reason" and the inclusion of anything from I&W.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 03:33:05 PM »
pg1067 Yeah I felt like 85 minutes was pushing it but then I read your post and it made sense again heh
I think all 3 points you mentioned as unrealistic are a little presumptuous. Correct me if I am wrong but we've had set lists without an instrumental before, no? And was Surrender to Reason confirmed or just because they said they wanna play all the songs from that album at one point? As far as Metropolis, I think if it as a part of the SFAM package. If there's anything on there I'd make bets over, it's that Pale Blue Dot is the opener and Metropolis will be played either as an encore or as a 1st set list closer instead of Bridges in The Sky.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 03:40:04 PM »
pg1067 Yeah I felt like 85 minutes was pushing it but then I read your post and it made sense again heh
I think all 3 points you mentioned as unrealistic are a little presumptuous. Correct me if I am wrong but we've had set lists without an instrumental before, no? And was Surrender to Reason confirmed or just because they said they wanna play all the songs from that album at one point? As far as Metropolis, I think if it as a part of the SFAM package. If there's anything on there I'd make bets over, it's that Pale Blue Dot is the opener and Metropolis will be played either as an encore or as a 1st set list closer instead of Bridges in The Sky.

Yeah..."unrealistic" probably wasn't a good choice of words on my part.  I guess all I'm really saying is that I think those elements won't happen, but your point about Metropolis being part of a package with SFAM is well-taken.  If it does get played, I think it makes more sense as a set 1 closer, though, and maybe Voices as the encore.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 04:02:18 PM »
I'm probably not going to be able to see them live, but I would LOVE to see "The Glass Prison" as the encore, following the static-ending of "Finally Free" through the post-set break before they come back on stage.

As for set one, I'd love to see them play at LEAST 6 of the new songs: the first three on the album seem like a given, since they were the pre-release singles, but also throw in "S2N", "At Wit's End" and "Pale Blue Dot". That's about 42 minutes of new material, plus the highly-anticipated performance of "Surrender To Reason", that leaves about 30-31 minutes of first set left to fill.

I really hope they don't play "Bridges In The Sky" or "Breaking All Illusions", give the ADTOE epics a rest at this point. I wouldn't mind a DT12 song or two, but I think they'll pull out some stuff from 8VM and SC that hasn't been played in awhile, perhaps a ballad like "I Walk Beside You" or even bring back something like "The Ministry Of Lost Souls".

Either way, it would be nice to see them close the first set with "Metropolis Part 1" as a way to tease the second set performance of SFAM!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 04:05:48 PM »
S2N
The Killing Hand
Surrender To Reason
Untethered Angel
Fall Into The Light
The Glass Prison
Pale Blue Dot
At Wit's End

SFAM

Encore:
6:00
Erotomania
Scarred

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 05:46:51 PM »
Here we go!!

Untethered Angel
Panic Attack
Just Let Me Breathe (alt. Room 137)
S2N
Surrender to Reason
Moment of Betrayal
Fall Into the Light
Blind Faith
At Wit's End (alt. Barstool Warrior)
Metropolis pt. 1

SFAM

The Glass Prison
Pale Blue Dot
... VIPER KING!!

I think I blew the 2h45min mark by 15 minutes or so, but essentially that's the blend of what I think we can expect and what would make me immensely happy!

The one that feels less realistic to me is Room 137, but I just had to throw it in. I don't know if they'd hook James up to a vocoder (maybe if JR can operate it?), but it could be a highlight!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 06:06:11 PM »
My wishlist is like others just the full D/T album plus some deep tracks maybe Don't look past me or Eve or Speak to me.

I'd also like to ask for those who have done the meet and greet in the past, are you allowed to take pics and videos with your camera?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 07:27:56 PM »
I'd love to see full D/T in set one, but Petrucci already said they're not going to play the whole album. The hard part now is deciding which songs don't make the cut, as every one is excellent. Also hoping for the debut of STR.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 07:39:26 PM »
I'd like something like this:

Fall Into The Light
Paralyzed
The Bigger Picture
Misunderstood
S2N
At Wit's End
Vacant
Stream of Consciousness
Sacrificed Sons
-----------------
Metropolis Pt. 2
-----------------
Out of Reach
Pale Blue Dot

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »
Fall Into the Light
Barstool Warrior
Misunderstood
Hollow Years
Pale Blue Dot
The Killing Hand
Wither
At Wits End

SFAM

Encore
Viper King
In the Name of God

Offline adamack

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 09:16:02 PM »
My dream set list:

Raw Dog
You Not Me
Along For The Ride
Barfbag
Interlude: 15 Minute NOMACS Solo
Just Let Me Breathe
Prophets of War (feat. the DT fan choir)
Slow Motion
Take Away My Pain (with 10 Minute JLB Tambourine Solo)
Far From Heaven (extended version)

ENCORE:

Raw Dog

For real this time, I'd love:

Barstool Warrior (this screams opener!)
S2N
Constant Motion
The X Aspect or Moment Of Betrayal
Fall Into The Light
Breaking All Illusions
At Wit's End
Pale Blue Dot

SFAM

Encore:
In The Presence Of Enemies (Full)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:32:39 PM by adamack »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 09:18:29 PM »
My dream set list:

Raw Dog
You Not Me
Along For The Ride
Barfbag
Just Let Me Breathe
Slow Motion

ENCORE:

Raw Dog

:rollin

This set only needs a Mike Portnoy cookie monster guest solo spot.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 09:29:00 PM »
I'd love to see full D/T in set one, but Petrucci already said they're not going to play the whole album. The hard part now is deciding which songs don't make the cut, as every one is excellent.

Mike Mangini finally gets to write a lyric for a DT song and I'll bet it ends up being one of the few that doesn't make the cut this tour (assuming several do not get played at any show).  Poor guy.

Offline adamack

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 09:33:22 PM »
My dream set list:

Raw Dog
You Not Me
Along For The Ride
Barfbag
Just Let Me Breathe
Slow Motion

ENCORE:

Raw Dog

:rollin

This set only needs a Mike Portnoy cookie monster guest solo spot.

HA!!! How'd I leave this out??

Offline robwebster

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 12:42:53 AM »
Pretty hard to fit everything in, with two albums to promote.

I'd go with something like...

1. Pale Blue Dot
2. Paralyzed / Untethered Angel
3. Peruvian Skies
4. Misunderstood / Blind Faith
5. Three Days / Wither
6. Room 137 / S2N
7. Barstool Warrior
8. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun / Light Fuse and Get Away
9. At Wit's End

10. Metropolis pt. 2

11. In the Presence of Enemies pt. 1
12. Pull Me Under

Lots of tracks people won't have seen before or recently, a nod to WDADU for its 30th anniversary, I think the A/B set makes sense with two albums to promote, and it's weird that PBD is at the end of the album rather than the start so I've "corrected" (!) that live.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 01:21:54 AM »
It makes sense to put Metropolis part 1 due to connection of SFAM but I doubt anything from I&W returns to the setlist this tour.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 01:30:36 AM »
I'm gonna say...

Pale Blue Dot
Octavarium

That would be amazing I think. Listening to it now
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Odysseus123

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 02:46:52 AM »
When The Water Breaks as encore  :heart

Offline Pettor

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2019, 03:12:25 AM »
The encore or song just before must be PBD! I really hope they play At Wit's End and Barstool Warrior as well. FITL should be a fantastic live song as well. Guess anything from D/T is gonna sound fantastic live.

Offline genome

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 04:53:12 AM »
The Glass Prison
Barstool Warrior
Fall into the Light
Paralyzed / Untethered Angel
Surrender to Reason
Room 137 / S2N
A Fortune in Lies
Out of Reach
Pale Blue Dot

SFAM

Metropolis
At Wit's End

Alternate tracks are for setlist rotation between nights

Offline DTA

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 05:02:36 AM »
I know they mentioned that Awake will be getting a nod, so I'm guessing that A Mind Beside Itself will make an appearance. I don't think this tour will be D/T heavy as SFAM seems to be the main event, so I'm guessing the singles the released prior will be debuted and maybe another random song from the album. This is a prediction, not wishlist, which would exclude TGP and AMBI since I've see them already.

Untethered Angel
Surrender To Reason
Paralyzed
Lost Not Forgotten
Fall Into The Light
Out Of Reach
Erotomania
Voices
The Silent Man
-------------
SFAM
-------------
The Glass Prison

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 06:54:23 AM »
I know they mentioned that Awake will be getting a nod, so I'm guessing that A Mind Beside Itself will make an appearance. I don't think this tour will be D/T heavy as SFAM seems to be the main event, so I'm guessing the singles the released prior will be debuted and maybe another random song from the album. 

They did?  Sweet!

Granted, I will not be seeing them this year since they are not coming to my city, but that would be disappointing if the new album wasn't heavily featured.  The band has always went really heavy on songs from whatever new album they are touring on, and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case this time.  Even with all of Scenes getting played, they should still be able to play 5-6 new songs a night.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 06:55:12 AM »
I'd love to see full D/T in set one, but Petrucci already said they're not going to play the whole album. The hard part now is deciding which songs don't make the cut, as every one is excellent.

Mike Mangini finally gets to write a lyric for a DT song and I'll bet it ends up being one of the few that doesn't make the cut this tour (assuming several do not get played at any show).  Poor guy.

I also think R137 is one of the few they’ll leave out of the set, because it’s the weirdest and that Beatles-ish section might be a bit hard to play live only using James’ vocals (unless they use the backing track, of course).

As for the set, DTA is right, I think it was James who said they’re giving a nod to Awake, my bet is the Erotomania/Voices duo, no TSM, please.
Hope they also include a song from WDADU, which is 30 years old this year. TKH would be sweet.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 06:56:50 AM »
Well, Awake is their best album, so a nod to it should always be in the works. :biggrin:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 08:15:26 AM »
I know they mentioned that Awake will be getting a nod, so I'm guessing that A Mind Beside Itself will make an appearance. I don't think this tour will be D/T heavy as SFAM seems to be the main event, so I'm guessing the singles the released prior will be debuted and maybe another random song from the album. This is a prediction, not wishlist, which would exclude TGP and AMBI since I've see them already.
I do feel they're overdoing the anniversary stuff a little bit. They've not done a "normal" tour since A Dramatic Turn of Events!

Might be getting the order wrong, but we've had...
  • Awake and Scenes
  • 30th Anniversary
  • The Astonishing
  • Images and Words
  • Awake and Scenes... again!
Once in a while is quite nice, but I'm not convinced that "five years later, Awake and Scenes are still a thing" is entirely notable. Might just be me.

AMBI as an encore feels like a pretty solid prediction, though.

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 08:30:46 AM »
Set 1:
-S2N
-This Dying Soul
-Surrender To Reason
-Fall Into The Light/Untethered Angel (probably Angel)
-Blind Faith
-Barstool Warrior
-In The Name Of God

Set 2:
-SFAM

Encore:
-6:00
-Erotomania
-Scarred

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2019, 08:54:11 AM »
Will post my predictions when I get a chance, but I was at the listening party on Thursday, and when I got my vinyl autographed by JP, I asked him if we’d be getting any When Dream and Day Unite this tour. He said “Probably not... I actually didn’t realize it had been 30 years until someone mentioned it to me!” Then we had a brief convo about where time goes haha.

So it doesn’t look like we’ll be getting the Killing Hand or anything else from the forst record this go around. I was a bit surprised and disappointed, but I’m gonna love whatever they play, I have no worries about that. I imagine it’ll get a nod soon, when they eventually stop playing full albums on tour :P
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2019, 09:13:09 AM »
Will post my predictions when I get a chance, but I was at the listening party on Thursday, and when I got my vinyl autographed by JP, I asked him if we’d be getting any When Dream and Day Unite this tour. He said “Probably not... I actually didn’t realize it had been 30 years until someone mentioned it to me!” Then we had a brief convo about where time goes haha.

So it doesn’t look like we’ll be getting the Killing Hand or anything else from the forst record this go around. I was a bit surprised and disappointed, but I’m gonna love whatever they play, I have no worries about that. I imagine it’ll get a nod soon, when they eventually stop playing full albums on tour :P

Oh, man, I was really expecting at least one song from WDADU, but if this means we get more songs from D/T instead, it's all good :metal

About the Awake nod, I hope it's just 1 or 2 songs max, not more than that. If we see the Awake songs they haven't played with MM yet, we have Erotomania, Voices and Innocence Faded, and I don't see the last one being played again because of the super demanding vocal parts it has.

Also, hope there's no IAW songs this time, not even Metropolis. They just played the whole thing.

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2019, 08:54:18 PM »
With their song times somewhat close, any chance they alternate Paralyzed/Room 137 and Barstool Warrior/S2N from show to show?
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2019, 10:37:09 PM »
That's very possible IMO.