Author Topic: **NO SPOILERS ALLOWED** - Setlist Predictions & Wishlist 2019  (Read 19945 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: **NO SPOILERS ALLOWED** - Setlist Predictions & Wishlist 2019
« Reply #210 on: March 21, 2019, 07:59:41 AM »
No At Wit's End????!!!!!   That would be extremely sad to me.

Easily my favorite on D/T... I hope that setlist is not accurate for that reason.

Why would they play Surrender to Reason and not AWE?

Have you not been reading?  I have explained in detail a few times why it is pretty much the least likely on the album to be played.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lovethedrake

« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2019, 08:01:00 AM »
I must have missed it Bosk... can you explain again?   Is it the lyrical content? 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2019, 08:10:56 AM »
No.  But just process of elimination.  Without looking at the spoilers thread (my show is in 3 days, so I'm trying to keep spoiler free, other than knowing SFAM and one other song that is NOT in the set), I think we can pretty safely say that they will play the three promo singles.  That's as safe a bet as any.  Then we just take a look at which ones the band have talked about and hyped up the most.  Not coincidentally, I think the next three would be the next three track-by-track videos in order. 

Pale Blue Dot--They've all really gushed about that AND Jordan said he was rehearsing it.  This one is DEFINITELY in.

JP, James, and Mike have ALL gushed about Room 137.  They love it.  And if you think about it, a song like that is pretty likely to go over well in a live setting as just a fun, straightforward sounding rocker. 

Barstool Warrior--they are really proud of that one, and other than the ballad, it is the one non-metal song that showcases more of the prog side of their sound.  Pretty sure that's in.

If they only go six songs, I think the only way one of the last two I mentioned does NOT get played is if they continue their trend of featuring a ballad from their latest album, which would get Out of Reach in as the token ballad (also possible if they go 7 songs deep rather than 6 from the new album).

So that just leaves S2N and AWE by process of elimination.  I know they are proud of both of those songs, and I am very confident we will see them eventually.  But I am pretty confident we will not see them this time around.

EDIT:  Of course, since they've now played a show, anyone can double check and see whether I am right or wrong by seeing what they actually played.  So I guess I'm going to have to stay away from these kinds of threads altogether.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lovethedrake

« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2019, 08:13:31 AM »
Thanks Bosk, appreciate the response.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #214 on: March 21, 2019, 08:15:02 AM »
:tup

It happens to be my runaway favorite song from the album, so I wish it were more likely.  But it is what it is.  When a band has this many amazing songs, they can't play them all. 

Online lovethedrake

« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2019, 08:27:47 AM »
Right there with you... my favorite DT song since 6DOIT.       

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2019, 09:03:17 AM »
I am in the camp where I would have been perfectly fine with them playing D/T set one, and SFAM Set 2 and maybe a single song Encore. So them possibly not playing AWE hurts just as much as any other song getting left off from the album (Not including Viper King, which is a really fun song but I don't expect to see it live).

Gahh the temptation to check the setlist is really strong right now.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2019, 11:14:32 AM »
It's my favorite too, but there is no way ever I could be disappointed in one of their shows.. Makes me super hopeful about a 2nd leg and perhaps that and S2N come up then (Ocatavarium???) I have a lot of catching up to do in seeing them live since I have only been in for 3 years. My 4th concert in ONE Day!! I cannot contain my hype!!! :metal :metal :metal I am a great sleeper and usually retire about 10ish. Awake until 3am last night...tonight flying to LA......got my outfit ready...

Bosk, how are you so sure about FItL being the opener?? If I may ask :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2019, 11:17:14 AM »
Bosk, how are you so sure about FItL being the opener?? If I may ask :)

Just because it really fits the M.O. for how JP likes to open concerts. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2019, 11:24:50 AM »
Well, we just had our first temp ban for someone not observing the "no spoilers" tag on the thread.  The post has been removed, but sorry to those that may have seen it.  It's frustrating that so simple a request cannot be honored by some.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2019, 10:24:35 AM »
Glad I missed it.

Anyways. It's also a bit hard on Facebook being a part of the DTF Facebook group. Not really, but almost got spoiled. Although I did ask my friend one song. He didnt tell me the song, but said what album its from.

Going to be great hearing the first song not knowing what it'll be.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
Glad I missed it.

Anyways. It's also a bit hard on Facebook being a part of the DTF Facebook group. Not really, but almost got spoiled. Although I did ask my friend one song. He didnt tell me the song, but said what album its from.

For sure...especially with folks asking about the set list and what not.

Eight hours to show time.  The urge to check on the set list is strong.  I'll be leaving the office and meeting friends for dinner.  Once I'm out of the office, the temptation will be removed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2019, 02:02:04 PM »
Hang in there, man.  BE STRONG!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #223 on: March 22, 2019, 02:09:25 PM »
3 more days for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #224 on: March 22, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »
3 more days for me.
harharharharhaaar
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #225 on: March 22, 2019, 02:53:29 PM »
3 more days for me.
harharharharhaaar

Hahaha...That was entirely unintentional.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #226 on: March 22, 2019, 04:25:54 PM »
Hang in there, man.  BE STRONG!

:tup

So far so good, and I'm leaving the office shortly, so I should be ok.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #227 on: March 23, 2019, 01:40:14 PM »
I have to say, very happy that I avoided spoilers before going to see this. Those of you still holding out... HANG IN THERE!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #228 on: March 23, 2019, 01:46:54 PM »
I was holding out until my show in Chicago, but Blabbermouth ruined the setlist/stage design for me 😡 So I jumped over to the spoiler thread.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #229 on: March 23, 2019, 03:37:55 PM »
I was holding out until my show in Chicago, but Blabbermouth ruined the setlist/stage design for me 😡 So I jumped over to the spoiler thread.

I saw that article and stayed clear of even opening the link. I knew they were going to have spoilers in it, because they're Blabbermouth.

I have to say, very happy that I avoided spoilers before going to see this. Those of you still holding out... HANG IN THERE!

Glad to hear this.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #230 on: March 23, 2019, 04:01:07 PM »

Ugh I'm trying. April 29 & 30 for me.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #231 on: March 23, 2019, 04:16:05 PM »

Ugh I'm trying. April 29 & 30 for me.

I would not be able to wait that long lol

Offline bill1971

« Reply #232 on: March 23, 2019, 09:09:17 PM »
I envy your guys patience. Every Rush tour I'd say I'll be surprised but nope I'd be online getting the set list as it happens.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: March 24, 2019, 02:00:22 AM »
I dunno why but I don't feel like knowing the setlist spoils much for me, it's weird. I avoid looking at the stage set up and won't watch any videos whatsoever before my show but I don't mind knowing the setlist.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online lovethedrake

« Reply #234 on: March 24, 2019, 06:16:12 AM »
I dunno why but I don't feel like knowing the setlist spoils much for me, it's weird. I avoid looking at the stage set up and won't watch any videos whatsoever before my show but I don't mind knowing the setlist.

Completely agree... I try to avoid videos and Stage setup but like knowing the setlist.   The last thing I want to deal with is slight disappointment for a song being played.   Especially when it’s likely going to be amazing live anyways. I like to be prepared for what’s coming.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2019, 02:14:51 PM »

Yeah, I'm definitely okay with knowing.  But it was nice going into this one and getting to have a few surprises.

So...anyone interested in hearing my updated predictions now?  :biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »

Yeah, I'm definitely okay with knowing.  But it was nice going into this one and getting to have a few surprises.

So...anyone interested in hearing my updated predictions now?  :biggrin:

Not till after tomorrow

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2019, 08:03:43 AM »
Show is today. So fucking excited. My friend is asleep and I'm here in the restaurant of the hotel enjoying a few and getting food.

« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2019, 01:41:15 AM »
Hi, I don't want spoiler but I would like to know if they are rotating the setlist in the first set.. can anyone answer?
Thanks 
Paolo Carraro Band - progressive rock band from Italy

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2019, 07:07:04 AM »
There’s only one part of the set list that’s been getting rotated it seems
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #240 on: April 18, 2019, 08:45:29 AM »
So it was just announced that Vola will be supporting DT in the shows in Berlin and Dresden. Will this mean we don't get an Evening With show with the whole Metropolis?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mladen

« Reply #241 on: April 18, 2019, 09:02:15 AM »
Those are pretty much all festival dates and I doubt any of them will feature all of the stuff that's being performed in North America at the moment. Maybe bosk or someone could confirm or deny this.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #242 on: April 18, 2019, 09:36:05 AM »
They're doing mostly festivals in Europe this year (I guess they'll do a full headliner tour there next year), so it'll most likely be a shorter setlist for you guys.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: April 18, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »
Petrucci has confirmed they are NOT doing SFAM during the European tour. They might come back for the second leg and play it, but I am not sure.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #244 on: April 18, 2019, 12:42:16 PM »
How many songs in the first set?