Author Topic: **NO SPOILERS ALLOWED** - Setlist Predictions & Wishlist 2019  (Read 19977 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: Setlist Predictions & Wishlist 2019
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2019, 07:50:30 AM »
Set 1:
Intro Tape
Fall into the Light
Paralyzed/Room 137
Under a Glass Moon
Barstool Warrior
S2N
Misunderstood
At Wit's End
Lifting Shadows of a Dream
In The Presence of Enemies 1/2

Set 2:
SFAM

Encore:
Out of Reach
Surrounded
The Glass Prison
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:59:33 AM by Polarbear »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
There isn’t a lot of extra room for “other” songs after SFaM and however many D/T songs they play. So I would like songs they haven’t played recently. No PMU, Met1, AIA

But...but...MOSH PIT! 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2019, 09:58:14 AM »
There isn’t a lot of extra room for “other” songs after SFaM and however many D/T songs they play. So I would like songs they haven’t played recently. No PMU, Met1, AIA

But...but...MOSH PIT!

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2019, 10:15:12 AM »

But...but...MOSH PIT!
lol!  I noticed too that the 2 concerts I am going to don't have GA.  I Like GA, I don't want to sit for a Rock Concert! Well, I am not going to sit anyway and I guess I will have to mosh with myself! :rollin

Offline mariner

« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2019, 12:00:37 PM »
Set 1:
Intro Tape
Fall into the Light
Paralyzed/Room 137
Under a Glass Moon
Barstool Warrior
S2N
Misunderstood
At Wit's End
Lifting Shadows of a Dream
In The Presence of Enemies 1/2

Set 2:
SFAM

Encore:
Out of Reach
Surrounded
The Glass Prison

I don't think they are going to play anything off of Images and Words given that they just spent a year playing it in entirety.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2019, 12:01:51 PM »

But...but...MOSH PIT!

Yeah, for MOST shows.  But Geeeemo and I experienced something quite different at a show last year (or was it the year before?), didn't we?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2019, 12:34:23 PM »

But...but...MOSH PIT!

Yeah, for MOST shows.  But Geeeemo and I experienced something quite different at a show last year (or was it the year before?), didn't we?

I was loving it! Not in it though, but I was nearly taken out!  That was some great energy!!  :metal

Offline TheFrozenInferno

« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2019, 09:16:35 AM »
Is it true that JP said in an interview that the setlist might vary slightly from night to night? If so is there a link to that interview?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2019, 02:21:37 PM »
JLB said that this could be a possibility for this tour on a recent brazilian interview (Roadiecrew magazine), but they were still thinking about it at the time. My bet is that it will have some rotation, like aDToE tour, to let them play almost all of D/T.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2019, 04:23:28 PM »

I hope they release a Blu Ray or album. It's been too long!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2019, 11:37:06 PM »
It’s gonna go down something like this:

Untethered Angel (obvious opener)
Panic Attack
Our New World
Surrender to Reason
Fall into the Light
Barstool Warrior
6:00
Breaking All Illusions
At Wits End (with extended Petrucci solo) - will definitely close out the first set

Scenes From a Memory

Heavy on D/T with one Astonishing song thrown in, one from D12, a couple classic fan favorites, and then Scenes.

Not sure what “classics” they’ll do but we can probably eliminate anything relatively long, anything penned by Portnoy, or anything from IAW or the last half of Awake. I would bet money that Panic Attack is going to show up, it’s relatively short, a fan favorite, they haven’t played it in awhile to my knowledge and it’s a Petrucci song if memory serves. Peruvian Skies night show up. They seem to like going back to FII lately.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:58:36 PM by Volante99 »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2019, 01:35:48 PM »
The only time I saw a "mosh pit" during a DT show was during the Along for the Ride tour, while they were playing "Strange Deja-Vu" 3 teenagers started a mosh-pit that lasted about 15 seconds.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2019, 01:41:54 PM »
The one I was referring to lasted pretty much the entire duration of Pull Me Under.  :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »
SFAM
Metropolis Pt 1
The Mirror
Just Let Me Breathe
Acid Rain
Caught in a New Millennium
Another Day
A Mind Beside Itself
LTL
ACOS

The only time I saw a "mosh pit" during a DT show was during the Along for the Ride tour, while they were playing "Strange Deja-Vu" 3 teenagers started a mosh-pit that lasted about 15 seconds.

Tried to mosh a few times when I saw DT open for Maiden. I believe Constant Motion and Home. Tiny pit... BUT IT HAPPENED.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2019, 02:13:14 PM »
There are plenty of mosh pits at DT concerts . . . in our heads :metal :biggrin:

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2019, 03:44:40 PM »
We have to figure out a way to mesh without a GA. :justjen

Offline pg1067

« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
we can probably eliminate . . . anything penned by Portnoy

Why?  With the obvious exception of the tour for TA, they have regularly played songs for which MP wrote lyrics.

I would bet money that Panic Attack is going to show up, it’s relatively short, a fan favorite, they haven’t played it in awhile to my knowledge and it’s a Petrucci song if memory serves.

Gotta love a band for whom 8:13 is a 'relatively short" song.   :biggrin:

FWIW, PA is DT's 45th longest song (including SDOIT and ITPOE as single songs and not including non-album tracks other than ACOS), so it's actually a bit above average (although that's partly because all but three songs on TA are shorter than 6:00).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 05:00:17 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2019, 04:57:46 PM »
I can't believe some setlists posted in this thread don't have Pale Blue Dot included. This as an ABOMINATION I tell ya!   
 PBD =   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2019, 05:08:01 PM »
I think PBD is very likely.  My opinions on which songs will be played have not changed.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2019, 05:09:38 PM »
I would bet money that Panic Attack is going to show up

I might take that bet.  How much we talking?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2019, 05:12:45 PM »
PBD has become my personal favourite on the album, so I'd be very happy if they were to play that one live.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2019, 05:30:58 PM »
I think PBD is very likely.  My opinions on which songs will be played have not changed.

Considering Jordan has posted videos of himself practicing parts of PBD on Facebook, I think it's a given that they will play it. I also think it's a given that they'll play the three singles they've released, with at least "Untethered Angel" getting played every show. If they do an A/B rotation like they did on the ADTOE tour, where they play certain new songs on A-nights, and others on B-nights, then I can see them swapping "Barstool Warrior", "S2N" and/or "Fall Into The Light" as they are all about the same length. Same goes for "Room 137" and "Paralyzed".

If they go about trying to play EVERY song live this tour, I can see them playing UA, AWE, and PBD at every show - it's their lead single, the centerpiece epic, and the closing epic/technically challenging song, all types of songs that they typically play live when touring a new album. I do have to wonder if they'll pull out "Viper King", though... I can see them swapping it with "Room 137" as alternates, they both have a swing-rock feel and are 4-4.5 minutes each.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2019, 05:33:19 PM »
Bosk, can I ask why you don’t think At Wit’s End will get played?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2019, 11:34:44 PM »
we can probably eliminate . . . anything penned by Portnoy

Why?  With the obvious exception of the tour for TA, they have regularly played songs for which MP wrote lyrics.

I would bet money that Panic Attack is going to show up, it’s relatively short, a fan favorite, they haven’t played it in awhile to my knowledge and it’s a Petrucci song if memory serves.

Gotta love a band for whom 8:13 is a 'relatively short" song.   :biggrin:

FWIW, PA is DT's 45th longest song (including SDOIT and ITPOE as single songs and not including non-album tracks other than ACOS), so it's actually a bit above average (although that's partly because all but three songs on TA are shorter than 6:00).

As far as Portnoy songs, it’s a numbers game. I’m going to go out on a limb and say they prooobably won’t play any of the 12-Step suite. They did Shattered Fortress on the 2014 tour and I think they’ll let all that rest for awhile. They probably won’t do anything too personal to Portnoy like Honor Thy Father or Best of Times. Statistically, it’s just way less likely to happen. Not impossible, just less likely.

In regards to PA technically being longer than average; yes, that’s true statistically. But if you take out TA, and take in account that most of their “short” songs really aren’t particularly well regarded (You Not Me, anyone?), I would guess PA starts moving closer to the average.

As you can see, I’ve given this waaaay too much thought. And I may be completely way off in my guesses.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2019, 11:36:32 PM »
I would bet money that Panic Attack is going to show up

I might take that bet.  How much we talking?

Depends on what odds you’re giving me  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2019, 09:19:24 AM »
As far as Portnoy songs, it’s a numbers game. I’m going to go out on a limb and say they prooobably won’t play any of the 12-Step suite. They did Shattered Fortress on the 2014 tour and I think they’ll let all that rest for awhile. They probably won’t do anything too personal to Portnoy like Honor Thy Father or Best of Times. Statistically, it’s just way less likely to happen. Not impossible, just less likely.

I strongly disagree with your reasoning.  They have played quite a few songs with Portnoy lyrics since his departure, including ACOS and, as you mention, one of the 12SS songs (actually, TWO of them--they also rotated TROAE on the ADTOE tour).  Other than probably TBOT, I think pretty much any MP-lyric song is just as likely as any other to be played on tour.  Personally, I would be shocked if The Glass Prison didn't show up in the next few years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2019, 09:22:31 AM »

Yeah, here is what I posted in another thread:

Well, here's my thinking:  Assuming they don't play the entire album (other than Viper King), I think there are obvious reasons why other songs get played ahead of At Wit's End.  The three promo singles are likely to get played because they are the three promo singles.  Barstool Warrior probably makes the cut because the band seems fond of that one, and it is the one sort of "classic prog rock" track on the album.  I think Room 137 makes the cut because Mangini and James are REALLY fond of that one.  I think Out of Reach is likely as the one "ballad."  JP and MM love Pale Blue Dot (and I suspect Jordan does too), and I think it is likely to get good audience reaction.  So that leaves S2N and At Wit's End as the two that are perhaps most likely to be omitted this time around unless they play more than 7 songs from the new one.  This is by no means conclusive (I haven't seen the set list, and I do not intend to before the show).  But just my best guesses based on the info we have from interviews and such.

It's my favorite song on the new album.  But I just don't see it being played this time around.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2019, 09:29:56 AM »
Heads will explode all over this forum if At Wit's End is not played at the first show next week.  :lol :lol

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2019, 09:32:41 AM »

Yeah, here is what I posted in another thread:

Well, here's my thinking:  Assuming they don't play the entire album (other than Viper King), I think there are obvious reasons why other songs get played ahead of At Wit's End.  The three promo singles are likely to get played because they are the three promo singles.  Barstool Warrior probably makes the cut because the band seems fond of that one, and it is the one sort of "classic prog rock" track on the album.  I think Room 137 makes the cut because Mangini and James are REALLY fond of that one.  I think Out of Reach is likely as the one "ballad."  JP and MM love Pale Blue Dot (and I suspect Jordan does too), and I think it is likely to get good audience reaction.  So that leaves S2N and At Wit's End as the two that are perhaps most likely to be omitted this time around unless they play more than 7 songs from the new one.  This is by no means conclusive (I haven't seen the set list, and I do not intend to before the show).  But just my best guesses based on the info we have from interviews and such.

It's my favorite song on the new album.  But I just don't see it being played this time around.

PBD will be played for sure. Jordan posted a couple of vids of him rehearsing various sections of that song and he said, it will be ,,killer to play live on the tour"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »
Yeah, that too.  Pretty much everything points to that one being played.  And other than fan reaction, everything else from the band's perspective seems to point to At Wit's End not making the cut for the tour.  That isn't to say they don't think highly of the song.  I know for a fact that they do.  It just makes less sense from a set list construction perspective than at least probably 5, 6, or 7 of the other songs on the album. 

Offline Trav86

« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »
Yeah, that too.  Pretty much everything points to that one being played.  And other than fan reaction, everything else from the band's perspective seems to point to At Wit's End not making the cut for the tour.  That isn't to say they don't think highly of the song.  I know for a fact that they do.  It just makes less sense from a set list construction perspective than at least probably 5, 6, or 7 of the other songs on the album.

I get that.  I’ve had that feeling about S2N since this discussion started.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2019, 10:59:19 AM »
It would be a shame if At Wit’s End doesn’t show up. It’s becoming my favorite song on the album, and I’m not the only one. It’s trending HARD on Spotify.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2019, 11:28:09 AM »

Well...sure, as a pure matter of numbers/statistics, during the time MP was in the band, JP wrote more than twice as many lyrics than MP (and he obviously has written zero lyrics since leaving the band), so when you also factor in the handful of lyrics written by JLB, JM, KM and CD, the likelhood of getting an MP lyric among the 5-8 non-DOT and non-SFAM songs that will be in the set are not high.  However, I don't agree that we "can probably eliminate" the possibility altogether (anymore than we "can probably eliminate" getting a song with a JLB, KM or JM lyric).

I think we can, however, eliminate a few songs from consideration.  I don't think DT will ever play TBOT, and I think we can also assume they won't play ACOS or any part of it on this tour, simply because of the length and the fact that it was played on the I&W&B tour.  I also think Repentance is unlikely (for this tour or any other), but that might just be wishful thinking on my part.  Other than that, I think just about anything is a possibility, and I've seen a bunch of posts here talking about The Glass Prison being a strong possibility (although that's nothing but fan speculation).

Beyond that, all I can say is that I'm glad I only have to restrain myself from looking at the set list for two days.  The problem is that I'm going to the show with a guy who isn't a big DT fan and who has said he will be looking at the set list ahead of time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2019, 11:41:58 AM »
PG...im in the same boat as you. Only, I have to wait 6 days. My friend is likely gonna look at the set, and give me little hints or say "you're going to love the set."

I really don't mind hearing TSCO, even though I heard it for the recent 2 tours. What makes it special is hearing it in album context. Hearing the lovely One Last Time transition into the opening piano chords and the last chord transition into The Therapist speaking in Finally Free will make me want to cry.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2019, 01:11:21 PM »
I'm fine with the band skipping "At Wits End" for this leg.  Totally, absolutely fine.  Song is okay, but far from a highlight on the album for me.  I'm hoping the forum explodes because a surprise catalog song sneaks into the set.  Still in recovery from Don't Look Past Me.