Author Topic: 24/96 High-Def Release of Distance/Time on HDTracks or similar online store  (Read 6111 times)

Offline chudm

Re: 24/96 High-Def Release of Distance/Time on HDTracks or similar online store
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2019, 04:15:45 PM »
I have a question: Why this DR average thing is so important now?
If we compare to previous albums until FII, is not very different.

DT average (CD version):

d/t - 06
TA - 08
DT12 - 06
ADTOE - 07
BCSL - 06
SC - 06
8V - 07
TOT - 07
6DOIT - 07
SFAM - 08
FII - 06
Awake - 09
I&W - 11
WDADU - 12 (1989 version)

Good DR + less compressed sound gives you a better sounding album, even with compressed sound the album will sound better and you wont get ear fatigue, if you could check the vinyl version vs cd version of SC you could hear the difference, at least using headphones, probably using the stereo on your car you wont hear much difference

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2019, 05:03:54 PM »
Good DR + less compressed sound gives you a better sounding album, even with compressed sound the album will sound better and you wont get ear fatigue, if you could check the vinyl version vs cd version of SC you could hear the difference, at least using headphones, probably using the stereo on your car you wont hear much difference

Nice  :tup

But my point is DR per se doens't seem to be very useful to certify whether a disc sounds good or not. It is quite similar in the last 20 years.

Offline chudm

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2019, 05:17:40 PM »

Nice  :tup

But my point is DR per se doens't seem to be very useful to certify whether a disc sounds good or not. It is quite similar in the last 20 years.

i personally cant stand to listen some albums due to ear fatigue (im awaiting for my d/t vinyl, cause the singles sounded to me super compressed), maybe on a car stereo at full volume wont sound so bad, for me starting with 8v, dt albums sounds overcompressed/super loud (the same thing happens to me with rush albums starting with vapor trails), i listen to the albums after tot using my vinyls ripped to mp3, i got better DR, and even if its mp3 to me sounds better, obviously on the vinyl without converting to mp3 i can notice some things like better sounding drumbass sound and cymbals, sometimes even some passages on the keyboard that i couldnt listen on the cd version because it was so loud

you can check on youtube metallica death magnetic cd version vs guitar hero version (much better DR) and you could tell me which one sounds better to you, even if its on youtube (which compress even more the audio)

I would point you to a dt comparison but i couldnt find any on youtube, hope you can listen to that and come back, maybe you would understand what i was trying to explain
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 05:29:01 PM by chudm »

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2019, 05:44:35 PM »
Yes, Death Magnetic (DR 3) sounds much worse than DM guitar hero III (DR 12).

My point is: DT12 (DR 6) is recognized as a bad sound. FII (DR 6) isn't. Therefore, only DR information doesn't say much, per se. Otherwise, every DR 6 album should be crap. Earlier someone presented the information d/t DR = 6, which would indicate bad sound. But, is it a DT12-like 6 or a FII-like 6?  :lol

Offline chudm

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2019, 05:51:14 PM »

My point is: DT12 (DR 6) is recognized as a bad sound. FII (DR 6) isn't. Therefore, only DR information doesn't say much, per se. Otherwise, every DR 6 album should be crap. Earlier someone presented the information d/t DR = 6, which would indicate bad sound. But, is it a DT12-like 6 or a FII-like 6?  :lol

yeah you are right about that, but probably what i meant for bad sounding album wasnt the mixing, just bad sounding album because of compressed sound/clipping/low DR

FII, got a great mixing! (i love that mix btw, for me is one of the best mix of any DT album), but it has low DR, so i got ear fatigue after a while (with headphones). But newer albums (not only from DT), have super loud mastering (but some have good mixing, with low DR), and thats why you could listen to them just fine.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2019, 07:16:23 PM »

yeah you are right about that, but probably what i meant for bad sounding album wasnt the mixing, just bad sounding album because of compressed sound/clipping/low DR

FII, got a great mixing! (i love that mix btw, for me is one of the best mix of any DT album), but it has low DR, so i got ear fatigue after a while (with headphones). But newer albums (not only from DT), have super loud mastering (but some have good mixing, with low DR), and thats why you could listen to them just fine.

Now we can understand each other  :lol :tup

Offline chudm

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »

Now we can understand each other  :lol :tup

yeah  :lol thats what i meant, the mixing on distance over time seems fine, probably the best mix in the mangini era, but it is so loudddddddd, i got ear fatigue with headphones, thats me i know, but i will wait for my vinyl to arrive and rip it

Offline phatstadt

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2019, 08:45:01 PM »
If the vinyl and any digital version comes from the same master (post mastering stage compression), then why would the vinyl be less compressed? I understand the rationale for compression, although a DR of 8 is really lame. I wish they would master with less compression for either vinyl or HD digital. My rationale is that only people with high end equipment should rationally buy the HD versions, and their systems have a high dynamic range so it s a shame that the 24/96 is so compressed.
The cymbals on D/T really sound a bit artificial, or maybe they were more heavily gated since they recorded the album in a more live fashion. Huge ear fatigue on this album, but fortunately the content is pretty remarkable.

Offline chudm

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2019, 08:55:51 PM »
If the vinyl and any digital version comes from the same master (post mastering stage compression), then why would the vinyl be less compressed? I understand the rationale for compression, although a DR of 8 is really lame. I wish they would master with less compression for either vinyl or HD digital. My rationale is that only people with high end equipment should rationally buy the HD versions, and their systems have a high dynamic range so it s a shame that the 24/96 is so compressed.
The cymbals on D/T really sound a bit artificial, or maybe they were more heavily gated since they recorded the album in a more live fashion. Huge ear fatigue on this album, but fortunately the content is pretty remarkable.

if im not mistaken, vinyl cant have low DR, you can check:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=dream+theater&album=

if you compare the cd version vs hd version, it seems every dt albums have the same DR, except ADTOE which sounds great BTW on FLAC HD, but the vinyl versions of DT12, TA sounds pretty good (not so loud at least  :lol), even the 5.1 of SC doesnt sound so loud as the cd, so im hoping the vinyl or 5.1 mix of distance over time gets a better DR value. ill have the vinyl next week and will compare it with the cd version. I know it has better DR for sure, too bad is pretty compressed, but what can we do

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2019, 10:49:44 PM »
Vinyl often has different mastering due to its capability (lack of, specifically) as a medium. The happy side effect of that is the vinyl release often has a better dynamic range. phatstadt is right in that if the vinyl comes from the same master as the CD, it'll sound identical(ly poor). I've got the vinyl here, actually, but haven't listened to it yet.

To be clear, we're talking about mastering here, not mixing or production. There's a history in DTF of people confusing mastering with mixing and production (not saying it's happened in this thread, mind), so thought I'd clarify.

Coming back on an earlier point about whether the blu-ray contains so-called HD files, mine doesn't appear to.

Final note: Distance Over Time is an instant top five Dream Theater album for me (never thought I'd be saying that after their recent output!). This is not a criticism of the music, rather its aural quality.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:10:17 PM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline chudm

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2019, 06:14:18 AM »
Vinyl often has different mastering due to its capability (lack of, specifically) as a medium. The happy side effect of that is the vinyl release often has a better dynamic range. phatstadt is right in that if the vinyl comes from the same master as the CD, it'll sound identical(ly poor). I've got the vinyl here, actually, but haven't listened to it yet.

To be clear, we're talking about mastering here, not mixing or production. There's a history in DTF of people confusing mastering with mixing and production (not saying it's happened in this thread, mind), so thought I'd clarify.

Coming back on an earlier point about whether the blu-ray contains so-called HD files, mine doesn't appear to.

Final note: Distance Over Time is an instant top five Dream Theater album for me (never thought I'd be saying that after their recent output!). This is not a criticism of the music, rather its aural quality.

what about the 5.1 mix? is it loud as the cd version?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2019, 09:38:51 AM »
I've got the vinyl here, actually, but haven't listened to it yet.

I've tried one track as a quick test (Fall Into Light). Scores 11.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline chudm

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2019, 09:41:53 AM »
great, seems much better than the cd or the hd versions of hdtracks! ;D

Hope the vinyl gets a similar DR :metal

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2019, 09:42:29 AM »
That was the vinyl... hehe ;D
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline chudm

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2019, 09:48:02 AM »
Oh sorry, i thought you were talking about the 5.1 bluray! ;D

Great, cant wait for my vinyl to arrive! im curious too about the 5.1 mix of the bluray

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2019, 04:59:07 PM »
I posted all my thoughts on the 5.1 mix, such as they are, in the other thread.

Mods, we could really do with this thread being merged with the 'D/T Hi res files' one :)
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline ottovonkopp

Offline Bootstrap

Are the hi-res files contained in dvd and blu ray the same?? I think so. Maybe they have put in two different media for people who do not have blu ray player device.
 Can someone confirm me?

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
The contents of the blu-ray and DVD are identical. There are no separate files for the music, ie it's all encoded as soundtrack. What people have done, for the most part, is rip the 24/96 stereo files and convert to separate tracks whether FLAC, wav, MP3 etc. Hope that helps.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK