Author Topic: The Official King's X Thread (v. Three Sides of One)  (Read 11938 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: The Official King's X Thread (v. Three Sides of One)
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2023, 02:29:11 PM »
A traditional metal band.  I haven't seen it, but I know they had a documentary which painted them as a band that never quite "made it", so I could see the parallel there. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2023, 02:32:48 PM »
I used to compare King's X as the less successful mirror image of Alice In Chains.  Theoretically both should be heavy enough for metalheads, but not too heavy for rock fans, skilled enough for musicians to appreciate, but not too technical to turn away those who aren't, and catchy and accessible enough for pop appeal, but unique and innovative enough to appeal to those with less mainstream sensibilities.  Somehow AIC became huge and KX didn't. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2023, 02:33:38 PM »
That's a pretty good take.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2023, 02:41:05 PM »
I don’t know who would buy any form of movie about King’s X besides King’s X fans though. Oh well.

I thought that would be the case for Anvil as well, but boy was I wrong.

What is Anvil?

Seriously?

They were an underground metal band in the 80s. They come up alongside the whole independent label movement alongside a lot of other Metal Blade acts (Omen, Hallow’s Eve…etc etc) they opened up for world famous acts and seemed like they might make it…but they never did.

Then a 2008 documentary made them worldwide darlings (it sort of had the “little band that could” theme to it) the documentary won a bunch of awards and still has a 98% rating.  It’s become almost as infamous as the Spinal Tap movie. (Almost)  They even got to be on the Conan O’Brian show.

I was a bit shocked because I never thought they were all that great (I still think they’re kind of lame) but for a couple of years, they were suddenly everywhere.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2023, 02:46:47 PM »
I remember hearing about them, but only because of this forum.  Neither that documentary nor their music have ever popped up on my radar through any other source. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline HOF

« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2023, 03:57:37 PM »
I don’t know who would buy any form of movie about King’s X besides King’s X fans though. Oh well.

I thought that would be the case for Anvil as well, but boy was I wrong.

What is Anvil?

Seriously?

They were an underground metal band in the 80s. They come up alongside the whole independent label movement alongside a lot of other Metal Blade acts (Omen, Hallow’s Eve…etc etc) they opened up for world famous acts and seemed like they might make it…but they never did.

Then a 2008 documentary made them worldwide darlings (it sort of had the “little band that could” theme to it) the documentary won a bunch of awards and still has a 98% rating.  It’s become almost as infamous as the Spinal Tap movie. (Almost)  They even got to be on the Conan O’Brian show.

I was a bit shocked because I never thought they were all that great (I still think they’re kind of lame) but for a couple of years, they were suddenly everywhere.

Huh, no I never heard of them or that documentary. But 2008 would have been a time when I was not plugged into the metal scene at all anyway (much less in the 80s themself).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2023, 06:31:06 PM »
One of the things I thought was kind of dumb about was I was thinking the whole time… “Why them? Why Anvil of all bands?” I heard several tracks of theirs from various Metal Blade compilations I had picked up. Their stuff was OK, but nothing that made me want to run out and buy their albums. They were Canadian, and had more success in their homeland than in the US. But that movie could have been made about almost anyone. Heck, RAVEN would have been the perfect subject for a movie like that. Headlined for Metallica, influenced Metallica, signed to a major label, toured the world opening for Judas Priest…but nothing. And they are a much better band than freakin Anvil.

But I digress. The point is that a movie like that could have been made about someone like King’s X as well.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2023, 10:53:52 AM »
I used to compare King's X as the less successful mirror image of Alice In Chains.  Theoretically both should be heavy enough for metalheads, but not too heavy for rock fans, skilled enough for musicians to appreciate, but not too technical to turn away those who aren't, and catchy and accessible enough for pop appeal, but unique and innovative enough to appeal to those with less mainstream sensibilities.  Somehow AIC became huge and KX didn't.

Agreed with bosk -- that is a great take on KX.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline HOF

« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2023, 10:58:39 AM »
King's X were a little too intellectual for the lase 80s hair metal scene and didn't quite fit the early 90s angsty/depressive zeitgeist like AiC did (at least before Dogman, which did get a little more traction in that scene). They were just always a little too out there for the general public. Too heavy for the pop world, to happy for the grunge world, too intellectual for the metal world. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2023, 10:11:52 AM »
Jerry Gaskill and his wife (I assume) were standing next to me Friday night watching Last in Line perform. I shook his hand after the set was over. He's a local and not the first time being spotted at this venue watching a show.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2023, 11:22:29 PM »
bump.

never seen this before.

Alternate Video for Black Flag. Way different, artsy, etc...like something out of Mad Max., lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTjXXVyQXMM

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2023, 11:43:05 AM »
bump.

never seen this before.

Alternate Video for Black Flag. Way different, artsy, etc...like something out of Mad Max., lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTjXXVyQXMM

Nice.

What a trip!  Hard to say if it would have made any difference.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2023, 10:37:19 AM »
Really dig this version. Thanks for sharing it. Man, I love King's X. I really can't get into the latest -- not sure what people are hearing, because I don't hear it. But one of my favorite bands of all-time. Their stuff from Out of the Silent Planet through TapeHead was amazing. Ear Candy and Dogman remain my favorites, but I love that entire era of them.

Here's hoping they get back to the West Coast at some point.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #153 on: January 02, 2024, 11:50:11 AM »
.... Man, I love King's X. I really can't get into the latest -- not sure what people are hearing, because I don't hear it. But one of my favorite bands of all-time. Their stuff from Out of the Silent Planet through TapeHead was amazing. Ear Candy and Dogman remain my favorites, but I love that entire era of them.

Here's hoping they get back to the West Coast at some point.

"Back in the day..." I saw so many ads for "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska" in all the guitar and music magazines I read. It really got my interest. But I didn't pick up an album until "Faith Hope Love" I was hooked right away! (I eventually got "Gretchen" and "Silent Planet" much later in life). King's X is the band I've seen the most times (besides DT), and yeah, like you, I just don't get or particularly enjoy "Three Sides of One. I can think of many things/elements that would make it better (IMO), but who am I? Nobody. I can't say what they should do. I just hope there IS more as this was rumored to be a double album. Anyway, always a great live act and cool guys. See them when/while you can!

Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #154 on: January 02, 2024, 12:15:55 PM »
I haven’t heard BLS, X, or Ogre Tones either.

They lost me with MM, and even though their follow ups were supposed to be a return to their core sound, the over all feedback on all of these were so lukewarm that I would almost call them tepid. So I never went out of my way to check them out.

Offline HOF

« Reply #155 on: January 02, 2024, 01:19:59 PM »
I haven’t heard BLS, X, or Ogre Tones either.

They lost me with MM, and even though their follow ups were supposed to be a return to their core sound, the over all feedback on all of these were so lukewarm that I would almost call them tepid. So I never went out of my way to check them out.

I like Manic Moonlight well enough, but the last 4 have all been pretty lackluster. Ogre Tones has its moments though.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #156 on: January 02, 2024, 01:41:57 PM »
I love Manic Moonlight and XV especially. OT has some nice stuff much like the new record III Sides of One.

But I know I'm 1 of the only fans of Manic Moonlight.