Author Topic: James LaBrie New Interview: Vocal Injury Caused Strain With Mike Portnoy  (Read 10170 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: James LaBrie New Interview: Vocal Injury Caused Strain With Mike Portnoy
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2019, 07:30:57 AM »
Although, myself personally, when it comes to recording the vocals – I always do that in a remote location. Usually up around Toronto. The rest of the guys, they record it at the studio. That’s just the way I like to work. Myself and the engineer – and leave me alone! [laughter] You know?

Did LaBrie record his vocals in Canada for this album too?
Yes, and personally, I believe it's why there's a huge disconnect between the vocals and the music. It wasn't noticeable on the previous MM Era albums, but it jumps out on this one.

Not really. JLB was there from the inception. He knew what melodies to work with and what he needed to accomplish. Basically, he worked with JP and JR on the melodies and when they figured the melodies were set, they left JLB to finish the rest on his own. Which is having trust in your singer.

I honestly feel no disconnect at all. Its refreshing to hear JLB have total control over how he wants his vocals. Instead of having to be frustrated with the "dry man".
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »
No, no. It isn't so much James or his vocals., or the melodies for that matter, even though I don't believe they're that strong. It just sounds/feels like the vocals were recorded elsewhere. The way they are added on top, to me, doesn't really jive, and holds the whole thing back a bit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »
No, no. It isn't so much James or his vocals., or the melodies for that matter, even though I don't believe they're that strong. It just sounds/feels like the vocals were recorded elsewhere. The way they are added on top, to me, doesn't really jive, and holds the whole thing back a bit.

They have been recorded in Canada on every album post-Portnoy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2019, 08:33:29 AM »
Oh I know that. And while I always thought the vocals sat back a bit on some of ADTOE, I've never had a problem with them. I just don't think they're right in the mix.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2019, 08:40:35 AM »
In D/T, Myung sounds really reinvigorated, with riffs like S2n. Even the simple stuff, like the bass playing in the piano break of BW is a pleasant surprise.

I find it funny how many people are saying stuff like "Myung is BACK! Listen to S2N!" - it's one riff, guys! It's cool, but come on - I don't find Myung's playing on the rest of the album particularly different from anything in the past few years.

His bass playing in R137 feels fresh to me. How about his interplay with JP in Barstool Warrior?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:10:54 AM by erwinrafael »

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »
I think James recording vocals outside DT is a right direction. With the exception of TA, ADTEO and DT12's vocals sound amazing live. Because James himself knows his limit and what's right when it comes to live approach. I especially love BAI and Outcry live vocal performance over the years. He shines on them.

Other thing I am not sure is that if James records vocals phase by phase or verse by verse. It effects the live quality.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2019, 04:18:36 PM »
I have a bit the impression James was left to his own devices when coming up with vocal melodies for this album, and while he is very much at home doing that for harmonically rich sections (he was the clear MVP on TA), I think he feels lost doing so for harder, more metal sections. Prime example for me is R137. During the verses he follows the main riff in the background; it sorta, kinda works, but when he gets to the end of the verse ("should he listen"), he keeps following the riff and just kinda screams it an octave above. What works on guitar, IMO doesn't work at all on vocals.
When the bridge comes around, I then feel he hides behind that heavy vocal effect because once again, he didn't quite know what to do.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2019, 09:39:55 PM »
Although, myself personally, when it comes to recording the vocals – I always do that in a remote location. Usually up around Toronto. The rest of the guys, they record it at the studio. That’s just the way I like to work. Myself and the engineer – and leave me alone! [laughter] You know?

Yes, and personally, I believe it's why there's a huge disconnect between the vocals and the music. It wasn't noticeable on the previous MM Era albums, but it jumps out on this one.

Not really. JLB was there from the inception. He knew what melodies to work with and what he needed to accomplish. Basically, he worked with JP and JR on the melodies and when they figured the melodies were set, they left JLB to finish the rest on his own. Which is having trust in your singer.

I honestly feel no disconnect at all. Its refreshing to hear JLB have total control over how he wants his vocals. Instead of having to be frustrated with the "dry man".

Yeah I really don't hear this disconnection either. I'll have to pay more attention to it when I listen to the album again.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2019, 06:40:30 AM »

But that begs the question:  If during recording, Myung comes up with a part and Petrooch says "Johnny M, that's not working for me, can you come up with something else?" and they brainstorm, and Jordan says "hey, what about this?" and doodles a bass line sketch that John then takes and runs with, that's the sum being greater than it's parts.  If James sings something, it's possible that the band doesn't have that input under the current process.  It's one thing to tweak in real time, it's another entirely to say "okay, well, vocals are all done, studio's broken down, but there's a line in the middle of [specific song] that's not really working for me".  Oh well. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2019, 06:44:03 AM »
So many what-ifs

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2019, 06:47:45 AM »
Isn't that what happened with the "day after day, night after night" section? The music was baked in already, and they couldn't make the vocals work.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2019, 09:36:08 AM »
I don't think that's how it works - I don't think James is going up to Canada with no melodies and he comes up with them all then and there.  In the past, DT has said that the lyricist is usually the one to come up with the vocal melodies for a particular song.  I'm not sure if it still works that way, but I am fairly certain that the melodies would have been worked out by the band when they were all together.  Then James records them in Canada.  But it also isn't as if he records them all first without anyone else hearing them.  I remember that for The Astonishing, JP was very involved in the process, even though it was remotely for most of it.  It might have been different this time, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't just as involved.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2019, 10:16:58 AM »
JLB has such a unique voice in terms of sound. Could they have found a sound-a-like replacement? Maybe. Who knows? But I think replacing LaBrie would have been detrimental to the band's longevity. That would be 3 different keyboardists and 3 different singers in under 10 years. Singers are the face of the band, even though we considered MP & JP as the leaders then. Hate to say it, but hardly anyone goes to a concert to see a drummer.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
And yet, if it would have happened, the new singer's debut would have been 2003's Train of Thought, 16 years ago, and he would have been by now at his 8th album, while James' tenure would have been 10 years and 5 albums. The hypothetical replacement would have been DT's "ultimate" singer, just like Jordan is the definitive keyboard player, but as Kevin Moore is still remembered as the "classic" keyboardist, James would have always been the classic singer.

I'm 1001% happy he still is however  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2019, 01:11:05 PM »
I'm 1001% happy he still is however  :biggrin:

As am I. I'm glad JLB isn't trying to be what he used to be. He can't hit those high notes anymore. That's ok. His style has changed and he's sort of reinvented himself. When he sings we still know it's him.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2019, 01:32:32 PM »
I don't think that's how it works - I don't think James is going up to Canada with no melodies and he comes up with them all then and there.  In the past, DT has said that the lyricist is usually the one to come up with the vocal melodies for a particular song.  I'm not sure if it still works that way, but I am fairly certain that the melodies would have been worked out by the band when they were all together.  Then James records them in Canada.  But it also isn't as if he records them all first without anyone else hearing them.  I remember that for The Astonishing, JP was very involved in the process, even though it was remotely for most of it.  It might have been different this time, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't just as involved.

Yeah, I think some here are making too much of James recording in Canada. My understanding of the process is that by the time James goes to record vocals, the melodies and the lyrics have already been written. So he's just tracking. They are also probably sending files down to JP and Ben (in this album's case) as they go. So if JP as the producer isn't liking the direction of a section of vocals, I'm sure he would be able to make suggestions. This also has nothing to do with how James sounds in the mix. Regardless of whether he's tracking in Canada or New York or Italy or Russia, he's tracking his vocals by himself in a vocal booth into a mic. That doesn't change how his voice fits in the mix or sounds in the mix, that's determined during the mixing stage, not the tracking stage.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2019, 01:39:56 PM »

Yeah, I think some here are making too much of James recording in Canada. My understanding of the process is that by the time James goes to record vocals, the melodies and the lyrics have already been written. So he's just tracking. They are also probably sending files down to JP and Ben (in this album's case) as they go. So if JP as the producer isn't liking the direction of a section of vocals, I'm sure he would be able to make suggestions. This also has nothing to do with how James sounds in the mix. Regardless of whether he's tracking in Canada or New York or Italy or Russia, he's tracking his vocals by himself in a vocal booth into a mic. That doesn't change how his voice fits in the mix or sounds in the mix, that's determined during the mixing stage, not the tracking stage.

All of this. Good post. He's not by himself tracking (he has the engineer who works with him -- I can't spell or pronounce his name), but your point still stands.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2019, 01:49:21 PM »

All of this. Good post. He's not by himself tracking (he has the engineer who works with him -- I can't spell or pronounce his name), but your point still stands.

Right Rich engineered his vocals. When I said by himself, I just meant no other band members were present.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2019, 02:51:03 PM »
I'm sure the Systematic Chaos recording process had something to do with him wanting to go to Canada for all future recordings after BCSL.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »
Not sure why those sessions would be singled out.  I'm not aware of anything out of the ordinary that took place there.  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2019, 02:55:09 PM »
Not to mention that he states in the documentary how he hadn't had so much fun recording since Awake.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2019, 02:57:21 PM »
I'm sure the Systematic Chaos recording process had something to do with him wanting to go to Canada for all future recordings after BCSL.

Wasn't that the time where Portnoy was literally standing over him (in some behind the scenes video) and trying to get him to sing like other singers? I remember watching something like that. Could have been for Octavarium. But I distinctly remember that, because it bothered me and my wife when we watched it, and had us commenting how MP needed to shush and let the man sing.  :lol

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2019, 03:20:52 PM »
JLB is way better than he has been in the past. You can tell he's feeling more comfortable with his voice. Look at his solo albums recently, and the guest spots he's been offered. After the Astonishing and Impermanent Resonance, That sold me on JLB's vocals, even live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2019, 03:32:17 PM »

Wasn't that the time where Portnoy was literally standing over him (in some behind the scenes video) and trying to get him to sing like other singers? I remember watching something like that. Could have been for Octavarium. But I distinctly remember that, because it bothered me and my wife when we watched it, and had us commenting how MP needed to shush and let the man sing.  :lol

No, he and Petrucci kept making him redo the chorus of Forsaken even though James came up with a better melody, and James was getting pissed. MP and JP were being very douchey.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2019, 03:36:37 PM »

No, he and Petrucci kept making him redo the chorus of Forsaken even though James came up with a better melody, and James was getting pissed. MP and JP were being very douchey.

Your thinking of him doing the "Dry Man".

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2019, 03:46:46 PM »

Your thinking of him doing the "Dry Man".

... Eh?

Offline rab7

« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2019, 03:53:32 PM »

Ah I remember that!

James: Giiiive yourself uuuuup to meeee

John: Everything was good except for the "give yourself, and the me".

James: what the fuck

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2019, 04:08:52 PM »

I didn't see it that way (other than the MP being douchey part). James has said (possibly on that very DVD though I could be wrong) that he works with the songwriter to come up with the vocal style/phrasing/etc... that is best suited to each song and its lyrics. He seems generally open to direction and criticism (outside of that down period of his career and conflicts with one former band member).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2019, 04:17:53 PM »

Ah I remember that!

If you are talking about the SC video, you are reading WAY too much into it that isn't there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2019, 05:15:20 PM »

Ah I remember that!

:lol I remember this happening, but IIRC, James also said at the end of the documentary that SC was the album he had the most fun recording since Awake, so he still enjoyed those sessions after all.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »

Ah I remember that!

If you are talking about the SC video, you are reading WAY too much into it that isn't there.

LaBrie kinda joked around about it when he said something like, "Any other helpful comments guys?" but at first he didn't seem very amused.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2019, 06:09:05 PM »
Oh I remember that documentary, geez there were so many funny moments in that!
The one I can think of is Portnoy saying "Jordan says he's got a dirty organ that he wants to show us, I told him he should see a doctor about that" :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2019, 07:27:53 PM »
Great interview. I saw this yesterday on Facebook and it had the same headline. Sad that they use that as the headline when it is such a good interview and the Portnoy thing was such a small part of it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2019, 07:54:37 AM »

Who said the melody was better?  Point being, that's the point I was trying to make, that all of this is at the whim of the artists, and no one else. When one artist is 1500 miles away by himself, you WILL have a different outcome if three of the band members are standing around the vocal booth discussing what the out put should be.   

You all know that "having the notes" isn't the same as "artistic expression".   "Paranoid" by Tony Iommi doesn't sound anything like "Paranoid" with Randy Rhoads, or "Paranoid" by Zakk Wylde (and none are "better", just different interpretations).    I think, likely, the truth is somewhere in between, but nonetheless, it IS a dynamic, and it's unarguable that the dynamic isn't the same.  Some might like that, some might not.  For me, I got into DT because of James, and I'm still along for the ride (see what I did there?) because of him, so none of this is a knock on him per se.   

But it IS different, in my opinion.   

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2019, 09:09:19 AM »

Who said the melody was better?  Point being, that's the point I was trying to make, that all of this is at the whim of the artists, and no one else. When one artist is 1500 miles away by himself, you WILL have a different outcome if three of the band members are standing around the vocal booth discussing what the out put should be.   

You all know that "having the notes" isn't the same as "artistic expression".   "Paranoid" by Tony Iommi doesn't sound anything like "Paranoid" with Randy Rhoads, or "Paranoid" by Zakk Wylde (and none are "better", just different interpretations).    I think, likely, the truth is somewhere in between, but nonetheless, it IS a dynamic, and it's unarguable that the dynamic isn't the same.  Some might like that, some might not.  For me, I got into DT because of James, and I'm still along for the ride (see what I did there?) because of him, so none of this is a knock on him per se.   

But it IS different, in my opinion.   

I did.