Author Topic: James LaBrie New Interview: Vocal Injury Caused Strain With Mike Portnoy  (Read 10077 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: James LaBrie New Interview: Vocal Injury Caused Strain With Mike Portnoy
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2019, 03:48:38 PM »
Just because [MP] was like ‘Hey man, you used to be this f**kin’ world-class singer, what’s going on?’

That is not an unfair stance MP took. No one likes to see a co-worker or employee's work quality drop. It affects everyone around them, it affects the business, and if they are friends, there is an added element of personal concern. I would hope that if band member X starts to drop off in terms of performance and/or effort that the other guys will find away to address it (hopefully by rallying around him and getting him back to where he needs to be, as it appears happened here).

Which is why Petrucci's response was perfect. "Hey man, you don't seem into it. Your performance is suffering. Mike's being kind of a turd about this but I have to admit, you're not bringing your A-game and it doesn't seem like you're even trying to. I love you, man. Can you try a little harder?"

"John, nobody has put it to me like that before. I'm ready to kickass again! *high fives* Let's go play some mini-golf."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2019, 04:07:59 PM »
His voice changed after the injury. It took him a long time to get somewhere close to where he was before. I saw them on the the end of the SDOIT tour and he sounded like he was getting back close to where he was before. We saw it on the Score DVD (overdubs or not).  I think I remember a JLB interview where he was told to not sing for a long period of time after the injury but they had shows scheduled and he did it anyway. That says a lot about dedication to the band and the fans.

All of these great, hi range, opera style singers change over time. Dickinson, Tate, etc. Can't do what they used to do. Some of them sound awful live these days. I feel that JLB has done a good job to reinvent himself in a way, especially on The Astonishing and now the new D/T.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2019, 04:21:36 PM »
I don't think MP is one to let things go. I have yet to hear him mention Mangini by name or to send good vibes or good wishes his way.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2019, 04:29:31 PM »
His voice changed after the injury. It took him a long time to get somewhere close to where he was before. I saw them on the the end of the SDOIT tour and he sounded like he was getting back close to where he was before. We saw it on the Score DVD (overdubs or not).  I think I remember a JLB interview where he was told to not sing for a long period of time after the injury but they had shows scheduled and he did it anyway. That says a lot about dedication to the band and the fans.

I wonder what would have happened if LaBrie had put his foot down saying "sorry, it's my carreer at stake, I just can't sing for six months". I understand the vital need of a young band to tour and affirm themselves, but would it have been so damaging and carrer ending for DT to postpone a tour? and what would have the other guys done if James refused to sing? fire him on the spot (after having just lost a founding member) or wait around for the singer that helped to made them famous?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kocak

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2019, 04:38:05 PM »
Just because [MP] was like ‘Hey man, you used to be this f**kin’ world-class singer, what’s going on?’

That is not an unfair stance MP took. No one likes to see a co-worker or employee's work quality drop. It affects everyone around them, it affects the business, and if they are friends, there is an added element of personal concern. I would hope that if band member X starts to drop off in terms of performance and/or effort that the other guys will find away to address it (hopefully by rallying around him and getting him back to where he needs to be, as it appears happened here).

While James has had his drop in performance, I also feel like Mike Portnoy's creativity has dropped as well. I think, everyone would admit that by now, we can all guess/know what MP is about to do within the context of a song. I distinctly remember that when I was younger, I read an MP interview in which he was asked about Neal Peart taking drum lessons from Freddie Gruber well into his career and he said that he might consider doing something like that "after the kids go to college" and within that interview (mid-2000s), he admitted that he does not practice like he used to and his routine morphed into something else. I remember this because after reading it, I had an argument with my drum teacher and at the time I used Mike Portnoy as an excuse for not practicing properly.

All the other instrumental members of DT are known for their practice chops and I feel that post-ToT, they were held down by MP as well. JLB excluded, MP was the least instrumentally capable member of DT, I think MM leveled the playing field a fair bit. (I have my issues with his sound but I cannot deny that the guy is a beast on drums.)

Before someone tells me that there are different styles of drumming, I'm well aware of that but that doesn't change the fact that there are certain things one must do to keep up when you play with 3 of the most talented musicians ever in a band.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2019, 05:21:05 PM »

I wonder what would have happened if LaBrie had put his foot down saying "sorry, it's my carreer at stake, I just can't sing for six months". I understand the vital need of a young band to tour and affirm themselves, but would it have been so damaging and carrer ending for DT to postpone a tour? and what would have the other guys done if James refused to sing? fire him on the spot (after having just lost a founding member) or wait around for the singer that helped to made them famous?

Career suicide for DT probably. They had already lost a lot of momentum considering Awake was already a huge drop off in terms of sales. Not touring for another 6 months, they may have dropped off the map (and be broke).

Offline bill1971

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2019, 05:39:04 PM »

While James has had his drop in performance, I also feel like Mike Portnoy's creativity has dropped as well. I think, everyone would admit that by now, we can all guess/know what MP is about to do within the context of a song. I distinctly remember that when I was younger, I read an MP interview in which he was asked about Neal Peart taking drum lessons from Freddie Gruber well into his career and he said that he might consider doing something like that "after the kids go to college" and within that interview (mid-2000s), he admitted that he does not practice like he used to and his routine morphed into something else. I remember this because after reading it, I had an argument with my drum teacher and at the time I used Mike Portnoy as an excuse for not practicing properly.

All the other instrumental members of DT are known for their practice chops and I feel that post-ToT, they were held down by MP as well. JLB excluded, MP was the least instrumentally capable member of DT, I think MM leveled the playing field a fair bit. (I have my issues with his sound but I cannot deny that the guy is a beast on drums.)

Before someone tells me that there are different styles of drumming, I'm well aware of that but that doesn't change the fact that there are certain things one must do to keep up when you play with 3 of the most talented musicians ever in a band.

I am not sure about creativity but skill level for sure. He is a great drummer but his bag of tricks was empty and getting predictable.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2019, 06:07:15 PM »
I don't think MP is one to let things go. I have yet to hear him mention Mangini by name or to send good vibes or good wishes his way.

That hasn't happened. They were good friends before the split, but since MP left and MM joined there hasn't been a single positive comment made in public from Portnoy about Mangini.

Around the time Neal Morse's TSOAD was released, MP was asked about DT in an interview and, when talking about Mangini, he refered to him as "their drummer".
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2019, 08:42:25 PM »

If they wouldn't stop for a year for a founding member and core participant, after they achieved a modicum of success, then yeah, I think it would have been too much to ask for them to stand down for 6 months to a year for their then second newest member. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2019, 08:52:50 PM »
I also feel like Mike Portnoy's creativity has dropped as well. I think, everyone would admit that by now, we can all guess/know what MP is about to do within the context of a song. I distinctly remember that when I was younger, I read an MP interview in which he was asked about Neal Peart taking drum lessons from Freddie Gruber well into his career and he said that he might consider doing something like that "after the kids go to college" and within that interview (mid-2000s), he admitted that he does not practice like he used to and his routine morphed into something else. I remember this because after reading it, I had an argument with my drum teacher and at the time I used Mike Portnoy as an excuse for not practicing properly.

Maybe it's because I'm not a drummer, but that's not my experience.  One, it's not any more "predictable" than any of the other members of the band, and two, he's still a "must listen" musician in my book.  Some of his work in Transatlantic and Flying Colors is still stimulating and fresh to me. Maybe a little less so in Neal Morse, but that's also not his gig, so there's that. 

Also, I don't think the "practice" quote necessarily says what people seem to want to interpret it as; he doesn't say he doesn't practice, period (there's video from the time after that interview that clearly shows him practicing) but that he doesn't practice LIKE HE USED TO. I would be stunned if you asked guys with 30 years in if they practiced the same way and more than a fraction said "yes", including others in the band (except for Myung).  Is it really a valid knock that he's not pushing to be the fastest drummer on the planet like Mangini?    I know for me, I connect far more to Portnoy's playing than I do Mangini's; not to say Mangini is bad, but it's preference, and I don't think that entitles me to say some of the things about Mangini that are said about Portnoy.     

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2019, 09:10:37 PM »
I also feel like Mike Portnoy's creativity has dropped as well.

I can't stand the hi-hat fills anymore.  :lol

Offline Evai

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2019, 03:30:04 AM »
I like the familiarity of MP's fills, he doesn't need to do anything else. it'd be like asking Angus Young to learn the harmonic minor scale :p
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2019, 05:10:08 AM »
I also feel like Mike Portnoy's creativity has dropped as well.

I can't stand the hi-hat fills anymore.  :lol

Or the 16th note accented tom rolls.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2019, 05:13:57 AM »
I like the familiarity of MP's fills, he doesn't need to do anything else. it'd be like asking Angus Young to learn the harmonic minor scale :p

Respectfully, I disagree. Musicians are professionals for a reason. Saying that he doesn't need to do anything else is like saying IBM perfected the computer with those room sized machines and we don't need any further development. I for one, don't want an album with the same old bag of tricks. This isn't just about MP, any musician could fall into this trap.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2019, 04:14:14 PM »
Candid interview.

Website sucked.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2019, 07:42:56 PM »

Respectfully, I disagree. Musicians are professionals for a reason. Saying that he doesn't need to do anything else is like saying IBM perfected the computer with those room sized machines and we don't need any further development. I for one, don't want an album with the same old bag of tricks. This isn't just about MP, any musician could fall into this trap.

But "professional musician" doesn't just mean one thing (i.e. advance the instrument as far as is humanly possible).   Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen are two of the greatest "professional musicians" the world has ever known, and their stock in trade isn't pushing the boundary of the bass and/or acoustic guitar.  It's in connecting us to truths we didn't know we needed connecting to.   I get it, Mike's music isn't really that "voice of a generation" type music, but he is involved in furthering a viewpoint, such that it is.  If a hi-hat fill or a 16th note accented tom fill (WTF?) is how that's done, then so be it.  It's ultimately HIS artistic choice.  As a "professional musician", I'm listening to hear HIS choices, not the ones I would have made had I the technical proficiency.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2019, 07:45:57 PM »
It's strange that MP is held to such a standard.

JM is a fantastic bassist. Hasn't really developed or done much in....decades. No one minds.

JLB hasn't changed his approach much or learned new and amazing techniques. No one minds.

I think it's just because when MM joined the band, one of the big things was that he was a teacher and so forth, and MP didn't practice much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2019, 08:59:29 PM »
Although, myself personally, when it comes to recording the vocals – I always do that in a remote location. Usually up around Toronto. The rest of the guys, they record it at the studio. That’s just the way I like to work. Myself and the engineer – and leave me alone! [laughter] You know?

Did LaBrie record his vocals in Canada for this album too?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »
Although, myself personally, when it comes to recording the vocals – I always do that in a remote location. Usually up around Toronto. The rest of the guys, they record it at the studio. That’s just the way I like to work. Myself and the engineer – and leave me alone! [laughter] You know?

Did LaBrie record his vocals in Canada for this album too?
Yes, and personally, I believe it's why there's a huge disconnect between the vocals and the music. It wasn't noticeable on the previous MM Era albums, but it jumps out on this one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2019, 09:29:42 PM »

JM is a fantastic bassist. Hasn't really developed or done much in....decades. No one minds.

JLB hasn't changed his approach much or learned new and amazing techniques. No one minds.

I think it's just because when MM joined the band, one of the big things was that he was a teacher and so forth, and MP didn't practice much.

I think the problem here is that, because MP is so prolific, he's in A TON of records that all feature the same bag of tricks. He's playing in so many records/bands every year that you end up with a lot of samey sounding stuff, even though it's a different band playing. Couple that with the fact that he's in 3 bands with Neal Morse and 2 with Billy Sheehan... that blurs the lines even more.

Also, there's a big difference between playing your instrument and actually practicing. If you sit with your instrument and just noodle around or tackle a couple songs you know just to keep them fresh, you haven't practiced, you just played. Most real "pro" musicians, session guys and such, will tell you that real practice is needed if you want to get better at it. Practice is playing something you can't do untill you master it, that's where the phrase "if you are playing, it sounds good; if you're practicing, it sounds bad" comes in.

I have no doubt guys like JP, JM, JR and MM all PRACTICE their craft, and that's why they keep progressing as musicians. MP, on the other hand, seems to be the kind of guy who is more interested in getting more music out than actually crafting art, and that's why he basically comes up with drum parts in the moment and moves on to the next thing. Surely, the guy can play, but even he would tell you he hasn't properly practiced in years, maybe decades.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2019, 09:36:03 PM »

I disagree on JLB. I feel over the albums he’s had a great go at everything that was asked of him - from MP’s changing tastes to sound angrier, sound more like Muse etc. I think James has adjusted his voice as he’s gotten older to still sound excellent on all studio albums, and whether fans liked the album or not, his work on TA having different tones for different characters was exceptional, and I think he added a really fresh element and performed it wonderfully. So I definitely feel JLB had indeed offered new elements across the board.

As for MM - I just flat out prefer his drumming over MP, particularly in his ability to compliment a song, the other musicians etc, but can go technical and bar shit crazy where necessary. But that is completely a matter of preference - many feel the other way and that’s cool.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »
Weird double posts guys, apologies
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:45:16 PM by jayvee3 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2019, 09:40:44 PM »
I think the "let's get in the studio and get it done" thing is just a state of mind. Some guys want to get in there and do a million takes before getting it just right, and some guys want to play it once or twice and go with that spontaneous take.  Neither way is right or wrong; it's just a matter of which method you prefer.

It reminds me of the XTC story I heard about when they recorded Skylarking and Todd Rungren was brought in to produce. XTC main songwriter/singer Andy Partridge is one of those guys who wants to squeeze everything he can out of you with dozens of takes to get it just right, while Rungren had the "let's play it once or twice and go with the best take we get" approach, and they butted heads over that (and for other reasons as well). 

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2019, 09:43:45 PM »
Double post

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2019, 09:59:40 PM »
Filmmakers and actors can also vary wildly in how they approach a scene. Some like to have some spontaneity, and end up nailing it in a couple takes. Others rehearse and slowly find their way through several takes. Whatever results in the best outcome. I recall hearing how Brando would take forever on a scene, going through 87 awful takes, to get to the 88th amazing one.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2019, 10:23:42 PM »

No, it has nothing to do with MM being a teacher and MP not practicing. It's more of MM manages to still surprise listeners. ADTOE showed a more complex orchestration compared to what he did with Vai and Annihilator. DT12, he developed a new technique playing two hi-hats / rides at once, heard in TLG and STR, and continues using in D/T in songs like S2n. Of course there's IT that has several bag of tricks. Then in TA, he surprises with creative choices like the blast beats in a swing section, the simultaneous two snare rolls to mimick a marching band, and the odd meters in The Walking Shadow. Then in this new record, so many things I haven't heard from Mangini before.

I disagree with your statement about Myung and JLB. In D/T, Myung sounds really reinvigorated, with riffs like S2n. Even the simple stuff, like the bass playing in the piano break of BW is a pleasant surprise. And JLB, he managed to surprise us in TA, with styles we haven't heard from him before.

I guess the question is, when is the last time you were surprised by MP's playing? Personally, it is way back ToT.

Online Adami

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2019, 10:48:56 PM »
Nothing MP does surprises me. Nothing Myung, JLB, or even MM does really surprises me either.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PetFish

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »

He also loves to say how he doesn't hold grudges, but he totally does and it's so obvious.  One example was the "Special no thanks to Terry Brown" credit.

Can't compare apples to aardvarks.  If you play the kind of music DT plays and the fans listen to, then you'd better make it challenging and exciting.  Angus Young doesn't need to improve or enhance anything, it's not what he and his band play, and you can probably imagine what would happen if ACDC suddenly went prog on their next album... white trash everywhere would be burning their school uniforms in the streets.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2019, 10:59:19 PM »
Nothing MP does surprises me. Nothing Myung, JLB, or even MM does really surprises me either.

Who surprises you?

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2019, 11:05:20 PM »

I guess the question is, when is the last time you were surprised by MP's playing? Personally, it is way back ToT.

September 2010.

Really surprised me.

Online Adami

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2019, 11:06:24 PM »

Who surprises you?

Hmmm. JP to some extent. Pain of Salvation for sure. Not a whole lot of artists at this point. But, then again, I don’t need them to. It’s a nice bonus, but not a necessity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2019, 11:12:20 PM »

Who surprises you?

Hmmm. JP to some extent. Pain of Salvation for sure. Not a whole lot of artists at this point. But, then again, I don’t need them to. It’s a nice bonus, but not a necessity.

Personally, I like it when artists are brave and try different things. I didn't expect the next step in Steven Wilson's solo career to be the To the bone. I don't even like the album. But I like his attitude.

Online Adami

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2019, 11:13:44 PM »
100% agree (except I love To the Bone). Steven Wilson is another great example.

I like it too. But, like I said, I don’t require it. 

Also there’s a difference between music or a whole band being samey, and the drummer.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:21:37 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2019, 11:27:52 PM »

Um, the thing is that the tech industry is completely different in terms of how competition works and how people assess the quality of a product. While technical capabilities or musicians can play into how people perceive the music they write, we have countless examples proving that musicianship and technical proficiency has next to nothing to do with how well musicians do professionally. Someone mentioned Angus Young above and yeah AC/DC are a perfect example. You may say that in the context of this genre it shouldn't be like that but then the discussion would shift to what being "progressive" really means, which in itself is also very subjective.

On the other hand, if your company produces room-sized computers while your competition produces smartphones, you'll be out of business before you can say "Mike Portnoy".

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2019, 06:44:10 AM »

I've seen plenty of criticism of these guys for not bringing anything fresh to the table. This has been the case for years.

In D/T, Myung sounds really reinvigorated, with riffs like S2n. Even the simple stuff, like the bass playing in the piano break of BW is a pleasant surprise.

I find it funny how many people are saying stuff like "Myung is BACK! Listen to S2N!" - it's one riff, guys! It's cool, but come on - I don't find Myung's playing on the rest of the album particularly different from anything in the past few years.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."