Author Topic: James LaBrie New Interview: Vocal Injury Caused Strain With Mike Portnoy  (Read 10194 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: James LaBrie New Interview: Vocal Injury Caused Strain With Mike Portnoy
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2019, 10:02:28 AM »
I'm sure the Systematic Chaos recording process had something to do with him wanting to go to Canada for all future recordings after BCSL.

Wasn't that the time where Portnoy was literally standing over him (in some behind the scenes video) and trying to get him to sing like other singers? I remember watching something like that. Could have been for Octavarium. But I distinctly remember that, because it bothered me and my wife when we watched it, and had us commenting how MP needed to shush and let the man sing.  :lol

No, he and Petrucci kept making him redo the chorus of Forsaken even though James came up with a better melody, and James was getting pissed. MP and JP were being very douchey.

Who said the melody was better?  Point being, that's the point I was trying to make, that all of this is at the whim of the artists, and no one else. When one artist is 1500 miles away by himself, you WILL have a different outcome if three of the band members are standing around the vocal booth discussing what the out put should be.   

You all know that "having the notes" isn't the same as "artistic expression".   "Paranoid" by Tony Iommi doesn't sound anything like "Paranoid" with Randy Rhoads, or "Paranoid" by Zakk Wylde (and none are "better", just different interpretations).    I think, likely, the truth is somewhere in between, but nonetheless, it IS a dynamic, and it's unarguable that the dynamic isn't the same.  Some might like that, some might not.  For me, I got into DT because of James, and I'm still along for the ride (see what I did there?) because of him, so none of this is a knock on him per se.   

But it IS different, in my opinion.   

I did.

I don't know you in real life, so perhaps you were there, but if not, that - and I mean this respectfully and in the context of the band's decisions - means absolutely nothing in this discussion (as does my opinion on the melody too, by the way). 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2019, 02:31:01 PM »
I'm sure the Systematic Chaos recording process had something to do with him wanting to go to Canada for all future recordings after BCSL.

Wasn't that the time where Portnoy was literally standing over him (in some behind the scenes video) and trying to get him to sing like other singers? I remember watching something like that. Could have been for Octavarium. But I distinctly remember that, because it bothered me and my wife when we watched it, and had us commenting how MP needed to shush and let the man sing.  :lol

No, he and Petrucci kept making him redo the chorus of Forsaken even though James came up with a better melody, and James was getting pissed. MP and JP were being very douchey.

Who said the melody was better?  Point being, that's the point I was trying to make, that all of this is at the whim of the artists, and no one else. When one artist is 1500 miles away by himself, you WILL have a different outcome if three of the band members are standing around the vocal booth discussing what the out put should be.   

You all know that "having the notes" isn't the same as "artistic expression".   "Paranoid" by Tony Iommi doesn't sound anything like "Paranoid" with Randy Rhoads, or "Paranoid" by Zakk Wylde (and none are "better", just different interpretations).    I think, likely, the truth is somewhere in between, but nonetheless, it IS a dynamic, and it's unarguable that the dynamic isn't the same.  Some might like that, some might not.  For me, I got into DT because of James, and I'm still along for the ride (see what I did there?) because of him, so none of this is a knock on him per se.   

But it IS different, in my opinion.   

I did.

I don't know you in real life, so perhaps you were there, but if not, that - and I mean this respectfully and in the context of the band's decisions - means absolutely nothing in this discussion (as does my opinion on the melody too, by the way). 

It means I have an opinion.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2019, 12:39:09 AM »
I’ll always remember that “you have any more compliments?” Comment from JlB in the SC DVD. The look on his face said it all.

I have my opinions about JLB, but I’ll keep them to myself since it has gotten me in trouble here in the past.