Author Topic: James LaBrie New Interview: Vocal Injury Caused Strain With Mike Portnoy  (Read 10192 times)

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
That's one interesting interview about the vocal injury and his relationship with Mike Portnoy after the incident. Plus, he thinks they would probably do their camping thing again for the upcoming new albums.

https://www.inquisitr.com/interview/5304962/dream-theater-singer-james-labrie-new-album-tour-distance-over-time/
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Evai

Re: James LaBrie New Interview: Vocal Injury Caused Strain With Mike Portnoy
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 03:30:11 PM »
Interesting... You didn't have to give the thread a Blabbermouth title though, they'll probably steal it  :lol
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 03:30:32 PM »
Good interview.  It seems like he is a lot more open recently about...well, about a good many things.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 03:32:15 PM »
Interesting... You didn't have to give the thread a Blabbermouth title though, they'll probably steal it  :lol

Or a damn slideshow style article.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 03:36:58 PM »

And I just stole it from the source.  :lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Evai

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 04:08:40 PM »

And I just stole it from the source.  :lol

Ooh I didn't see that, the link title is different
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 04:30:36 PM »
Holy popups that website sucks!!! It nearly crashed my damn browser.

Anyway, that kind of confirms what I've always suspected. Mike was the only one interested in replacing James. If you read Lifting Shadows when they talk about the "come to jesus" meeting, Mike expressed he wanted to replace James, JP pretty much just said that James didn't seem like he was into it anymore but never actually said he also wanted to look into replacing him, Jordan said he was too new to have an opinion, and JM was not quoted in that part.

James says the rest of the guys were behind him 100%.

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 04:35:29 PM »
JM was not quoted in that part.

"Holy popups!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 04:49:23 PM »
Can I ask that someone copy and paste the interview here?

That website is dreadful.  I had to restart my computer thanks to it locking up thanks to that site (and my iMac never locks up).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 05:08:01 PM »
Without rehashing this whole story again, what percentages made up Mike's wanting to get rid of James, between his injury, his apparent lack of interest, his struggling live performances, and Mike's just wanting a new singer. I have kinda assumed the first three were excuses to justify #4.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 05:09:12 PM »
I guess while we may never know exactly what went on, it always seemed apparent to me that if all the band had issue with James then he would have been gone. But we know that of course didn’t happen. However, when a time came for MP to move on, none of the band objected to it. I honestly believe MP just got to a point where he thought he was infallible and in charge of everything the band did. And that will flat out give people the shits. James always came across as respectful, and that seems evidenced in the backing he always seems to have from his band mates.

From an outsider looking in as a fan, MP always came across as a bit of a flog to me. But not knowing everything or actually know him as a person, that could be a little unfair and simply just an impression only based on what I’ve seen and read, which can also be problematic. What is great to hear is the support James had in what was a very difficult time in his life from the other members. Peace  :tup

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 05:15:45 PM »
Can I ask that someone copy and paste the interview here?

That website is dreadful.  I had to restart my computer thanks to it locking up thanks to that site (and my iMac never locks up).

Can't help. I had to restart the browser twice. I will not open this link again.

Anyway, excellent interview.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »
However, when a time came for MP to move on, none of the band objected to it.

Actually all of the band did. They tried to get him to reconsider. While I feel some and maybe all members of the band might be happier now with Mangini than they were at the end of Portnoy's tenure, I don't think any of them were happy he was leaving. Even if they were tired of him and his domineering attitude, that's a lot of uncertainty they had to work through with that void. It was not a good time for the band but in the end it ended up working out pretty damn well.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 05:22:21 PM »
I guess while we may never know exactly what went on, it always seemed apparent to me that if all the band had issue with James then he would have been gone. But we know that of course didn’t happen. However, when a time came for MP to move on, none of the band objected to it. I honestly believe MP just got to a point where he thought he was infallible and in charge of everything the band did. And that will flat out give people the shits. James always came across as respectful, and that seems evidenced in the backing he always seems to have from his band mates.

From an outsider looking in as a fan, MP always came across as a bit of a flog to me. But not knowing everything or actually know him as a person, that could be a little unfair and simply just an impression only based on what I’ve seen and read, which can also be problematic. What is great to hear is the support James had in what was a very difficult time in his life from the other members. Peace  :tup

In Portnoy’s defense, I think he just has (had?) a real strong vision of what he wants when he writes music. He’s probably more go with the flow with the people in Sons of Apollo/Neal Morse, but I get the impression he always felt that DT was HIS baby. So, imagine knowing exactly what you want but then having a vocalist who is unable make that vision a reality and how frustrating that might be.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 05:29:05 PM »
However, when a time came for MP to move on, none of the band objected to it.

Actually all of the band did. They tried to get him to reconsider. While I feel some and maybe all members of the band might be happier now with Mangini than they were at the end of Portnoy's tenure, I don't think any of them were happy he was leaving. Even if they were tired of him and his domineering attitude, that's a lot of uncertainty they had to work through with that void. It was not a good time for the band but in the end it ended up working out pretty damn well.

Fair enough, I hadn’t read that, so interesting to hear  :tup

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »
Wow...that website sucks donkey balls...but that was a great read!

JLB is, as always, a consummate professional.

As far as his vocals, my fav JLB albums are 6 Degrees, FII, and Octavarium, so whatever he may or may not have lost was not something that lost me as a fan.

I remember reading that passage in Lifting Shadows (as well as tons of interviews before and since), and MP always comes off as the type of guy I hate being in bands with. Any of us who play know that guy - Mr. "We need to sound like this" guy.

James was never going to win. Bc one year, MP was all about Radiohead and Thom Yorke, another year Russell Allen is his favorite singer ever. And on and on. Which is fine, but I think for the band, sticking with the date they brought to the dance has proven to be a wise move.

As for MP...well, he quit (in 98, as mentioned on one of the DVD documentary's), and then, ten years later, he quit again. Amazing drummer, love him to death, but his opinions on JLB and his vocals are something I could not care less about.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 05:45:34 PM »
what's with these fucking websites? So sick of clickbait sites. I'm sure it was a splendid article if I could open it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »
Got through it cause I was on my tablet, but what a joke of a site. Whoever is supporting it needs to desist NOW.

Now afraid JLB’s honest comments are gonna stir up more crap.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 05:57:07 PM »
Interesting. It seems like the JLB - MP friction goes a long way back. I think it even has to do with the idea of him being more and more involved vocally in his couple of last albums in DT, and wanting to take the band in another direction vocally speaking.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 06:12:32 PM »
Terrible site but great interview.

It is true the entire band has to be on great terms with each other in order for that type of writing to work.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 07:07:44 PM »
My adblock went crazy with that website, having to block 150+ ads, but it worked well :tup

Here's the actual quote, for those asking for it:

And it took me a good 8 to 10 years before I felt that I had come back to a place that I had been, at one time. It was a horrible experience. It created strain – primarily with myself and Mike Portnoy. Just because he was like ‘Hey man, you used to be this f**kin’ world-class singer, what’s going on?’

So him and I, we started butting heads. It created a lot of friction there. The other guys, they were just – they were behind me 100 percent. They realized what I was going through. It’s everyone’s interpretation – how you interpret something, and how you deal with it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 07:34:27 PM »
They had about a two year period where they were working on material, writing material, that ultimately became the material for ‘Images and Words.’ In fact, ‘A Change of Seasons’ was written with the intent that that was going to be on ‘Images and Words’ as well, but the label at the time said ‘absolutely not. We can’t invest in you guys doing a 24 minute opus.’
I know there's only 3 years between Images and Words and ACoS, but the sound is quite different- I do believe it sounds more in line with Awake than Images. I wonder how ACoS would sound pre-Vocal Injury and with I&W Mixing and sound. Really interesting

But we’ve gone through all of our growing pains. We’ve come to accept all of our idiosyncrasies and our OCD qualities here and there. So we respect one another and we realize that we’re all the same at the end of the day – we all have our things, we all like things a particular way, a specific way. It just seems natural now. It’s an unspoken language that seems to flow quite easily.

It was a great experience, and there were a lot of great times. We were having fun, we were able to let our hair down and just – as much as we were there for the musical end of things, we were also able to remember that we also are great friends. Having those conversations, you know. Whether it be about our families, whether it be politics, whether it be the social issues at hand around the world.
Now this is a really wholesome thing to know.  :) Great interview overall
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:41:03 PM by LCArenas »

Online faizoff

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 07:40:18 PM »
Sweet! some fresh controversy to distract from all this new album talk!  :facepalm:
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 08:35:32 PM »

In Portnoy’s defense, I think he just has (had?) a real strong vision of what he wants when he writes music. He’s probably more go with the flow with the people in Sons of Apollo/Neal Morse, but I get the impression he always felt that DT was HIS baby. So, imagine knowing exactly what you want but then having a vocalist who is unable make that vision a reality and how frustrating that might be.

Fair enough, but then you also have to have realistic expectations, particularly when you are well aware someone had been through a significant injury (vocal injury in this case). MP always seemed to ask a lot of James depending on his tastes at the time, whether it be Muse, Tool, Russell Allen etc. That may not have suited James’ vocal style all that well, but had a crack, and did a really good job vocally on tracks like Never Enough or Panic Attack, which obviously came about stylistically because MP loved Muses Absolution around a similar time.

Basically, just as MP might’ve had a hard time getting James to deliver his songwriting vision, when your tastes are constantly changing and you’re trying to reflect that, imagine the frustration from JLB’s perspective. How about writing songs to suit and highlight your own lead vocalists strengths, rather than having a mash up of ideas? Russell Allen is a phenomenal vocalist, but his Symphony X work sounds like Symphony X and is consistently his style and not Matt Bellamy, Freddie Mercury etc because they are flavour of the month. Anyway, I’ve rambled enough, all good for thought...

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 08:38:48 PM »
Double post
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:13:23 PM by jayvee3 »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 08:44:39 PM »
Sweet! some fresh controversy to distract from all this new album talk!  :facepalm:

It's not a distraction. I think it's perfrct timing for the band to showcase D/T as Exhibit A of what they can do without that friction.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2019, 09:17:48 PM »
How about writing songs to suit and highlight your own lead vocalists strengths, rather than having a mash up of ideas?

Now that's just crazy talk!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 01:17:45 AM »
How about writing songs to suit and highlight your own lead vocalists strengths, rather than having a mash up of ideas?

Now that's just crazy talk!

:lol

Anyway, I always had the sensation, from bits and pieces here and there through al the years, that MP felt he was "stuck" with James. Like, "We had this amazing singer, we became big because of him, and now he ruined his vocal chords and anyway I don't care for that style anymore but I / we have to keep him because he's the voice of the band. Ugh".

And as much as I love James, and I always defended and I always will, I can concede that he's no runner up for the title of "singer who nails every song, every time live", and I guess I can understand the frustration of being in a band with godlike musician but the singer every now and then fails to live up to the expectation, but still.... damn, it's James. Feeling to be "stuck" with him is like feeling to be stuck with a hot supermodel only because by now you prefer blondes instead of brunettes!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 07:46:49 AM »
I like Mike but to me he seemed like a control freak. I remember when Myung mentioned the way they would get together and write (on the Dream and Day Reunite DVD) and Portnoy basically shut him down. I don't think he meant anything by it..it was just his personality but I felt tension (imagined or not) just by listening to the exchange. Also it seemed that he wanted the band to become heavier and heavier and wanted James to have more edge to his voice. The terrible cookie monster vocals he provided could have been his way of slighting James.  I have no inside info but as a fan that is the way that I perceived things. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 08:12:48 AM »
That's one interesting interview about the vocal injury and his relationship with Mike Portnoy after the incident. Plus, he thinks they would probably do their camping thing again for the upcoming new albums.

https://www.inquisitr.com/interview/5304962/dream-theater-singer-james-labrie-new-album-tour-distance-over-time/

Great interview. James is a class act, and really explained himself well. The tension between him and Mike...all I hope is that at some point, the Pirate and MP get together and just hash it out. They spent so long together, and life's too short.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 08:17:23 AM »
My adblock went crazy with that website, having to block 150+ ads, but it worked well :tup

Here's the actual quote, for those asking for it:

And it took me a good 8 to 10 years before I felt that I had come back to a place that I had been, at one time. It was a horrible experience. It created strain – primarily with myself and Mike Portnoy. Just because he was like ‘Hey man, you used to be this f**kin’ world-class singer, what’s going on?’

So him and I, we started butting heads. It created a lot of friction there. The other guys, they were just – they were behind me 100 percent. They realized what I was going through. It’s everyone’s interpretation – how you interpret something, and how you deal with it.

Thanks for posting it. :tup :tup

Anyway, I always had the sensation, from bits and pieces here and there through al the years, that MP felt he was "stuck" with James. Like, "We had this amazing singer, we became big because of him, and now he ruined his vocal chords and anyway I don't care for that style anymore but I / we have to keep him because he's the voice of the band. Ugh".

And as much as I love James, and I always defended and I always will, I can concede that he's no runner up for the title of "singer who nails every song, every time live", and I guess I can understand the frustration of being in a band with godlike musician but the singer every now and then fails to live up to the expectation, but still.... damn, it's James. Feeling to be "stuck" with him is like feeling to be stuck with a hot supermodel only because by now you prefer blondes instead of brunettes!

The bolded was always my impression, and he all but said it once as well (cannot remember the exact quote, but it was in the mid 00's, I think).

And I agree with your take on JLB.  His live voice has always been a mixed bag for me, but he is usually so darn good in the studio that I can overlook the live stuff; I listen to the studio material 99.9999% of the time anyway (the exception being a handful of songs where a live version is my go-to for it - The Killing Hand, Raise the Knife, etc.).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »
I also agree with what MirrorMask said. I have always felt that way. It was like MP was stuck in a Jamesavarium. Which I thought was such irony.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 01:04:47 PM »
Great interview. James is a class act, and really explained himself well. The tension between him and Mike...all I hope is that at some point, the Pirate and MP get together and just hash it out. They spent so long together, and life's too short.

I honestly wouldn't hold your breath on that one, but things have a way either mending themselves over the years or never coming back together. It really just depends on how James still feels about things. JM too.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 01:24:00 PM »
Just because [MP] was like ‘Hey man, you used to be this f**kin’ world-class singer, what’s going on?’

That is not an unfair stance MP took. No one likes to see a co-worker or employee's work quality drop. It affects everyone around them, it affects the business, and if they are friends, there is an added element of personal concern. I would hope that if band member X starts to drop off in terms of performance and/or effort that the other guys will find away to address it (hopefully by rallying around him and getting him back to where he needs to be, as it appears happened here).

This is just a more complex situation if MP was feeling "stuck" with James, as someone noted, while his musical interests were changing. Bands can't function saying "ok, we're gonna play country on this album, Chuck, sorry you're out, we brought in a guitarist who can play banjo. We're going to need now since our musical direction has changed."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 01:28:20 PM »
We just need the names in the thread title in all caps and then it'll be a Blabbermouth title.