Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 187323 times)

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1995 on: December 18, 2019, 07:42:58 PM »
I have a similar opinion as a lot of you have said the last few days.  It normally takes me a while to rant a DT album so I still don't know where D/T lands, but it most likely isn't in my top 4 or 5.  Although, speaking about it right now, it's stand out tracks for me are FItL, S2N, AWE and OoR.  At least those are the ones that have really stuck to me so far.

I also agree that TA live was absolutely amazing.  Skunk-weed behind me, and friendly drunks in front.  That plus the amazing music and great show just made the experience awesome.  TA is in my top 3 albums and will probably never be dethroned.  Every time I give it a spin I think "oh, I forgot about that part!"  There is just so much very good music.

I will probably need another year or two to finally place D/T and some of those songs I mentioned may become permanent classics for me eventually.  Who knows.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1996 on: December 19, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »
I was in Florida last week and came across artwork on the side of a building that resembled the cover for Distance Over Time.  It was the venue for Palm Beach Dramaworks.  They must be DT fans.  :D

An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1997 on: December 19, 2019, 10:44:53 AM »
I was in Florida last week and came across artwork on the side of a building that resembled the cover for Distance Over Time.  It was the venue for Palm Beach Dramaworks.  They must be DT fans.  :D

NYT strikes again :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #1998 on: December 21, 2019, 07:41:25 AM »
  Don't know where I'd 'rank' them as far as all time DT songs.....but they are a group of really good, fun songs to listen to yet I don't revisit them all that much? When I do....I love them....but I'm not compelled to revisit them like I am to other DT material. It's odd.

Same for me.  Like you, I have so much to choose from, and who has the time to listen to all of the good music nowadays, but Distance over Time has barely gotten any play from me since I saw Dream Theater 2 1/2 months ago.  Quite a contrast to The Astonishing, which was still getting regular plays in my CD player well over a year after its release.

I still haven’t listened to TA in its entirety. I barely even listened to it at all tbh. I can’t get past the cheesy fantasy story stuff, and everyone said the album was bad, so I kind of just...never got through it. I do plan on it eventually, but...meh. I’m kind of ashamed to admit it with DT being my second favorite band of all time, but yeah, I pretty much skipped it when it came out and haven’t gone back to it.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #1999 on: December 21, 2019, 12:41:59 PM »

Well, it's not a robot hand...so I'll just assume that they're referencing Hamlet. The actual original idea.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2000 on: December 21, 2019, 06:54:44 PM »
  Don't know where I'd 'rank' them as far as all time DT songs.....but they are a group of really good, fun songs to listen to yet I don't revisit them all that much? When I do....I love them....but I'm not compelled to revisit them like I am to other DT material. It's odd.

Same for me.  Like you, I have so much to choose from, and who has the time to listen to all of the good music nowadays, but Distance over Time has barely gotten any play from me since I saw Dream Theater 2 1/2 months ago.  Quite a contrast to The Astonishing, which was still getting regular plays in my CD player well over a year after its release.

I still haven’t listened to TA in its entirety. I barely even listened to it at all tbh. I can’t get past the cheesy fantasy story stuff, and everyone said the album was bad, so I kind of just...never got through it. I do plan on it eventually, but...meh. I’m kind of ashamed to admit it with DT being my second favorite band of all time, but yeah, I pretty much skipped it when it came out and haven’t gone back to it.

There's a ton of great music on The Astonishing. Parse through what you like on it. I made an abridged version that I'd put up against any other DT album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2001 on: December 21, 2019, 08:31:13 PM »

There's a ton of great music on The Astonishing. Parse through what you like on it. I made an abridged version that I'd put up against any other DT album.

100% agree.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2002 on: December 23, 2019, 11:59:27 AM »
Like Northern Lion, it'll probably also take me a while to really rank Distance Over Time.  I don't really have a set in stone ranking of DT albums anyway.  But I will say that things are looking pretty favorable for the new one.  I just listened to it recently and thoroughly enjoyed it, and was a little disappointed when it was over so soon.  So I listened to it again.  Great album.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2003 on: December 23, 2019, 12:54:14 PM »
I just popped into say that the bass and guitar tones that JM and JP selected for AWE are just perfect and I'd like to see them do that more in the future. JP's tone leaves enough sonic space for JM to occupy that you can hear Myung attacking the strings. Subsequently, the riff that begins at 0:49 is powerful and aggressive without getting muddy. I just love it!  :metal
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2004 on: December 24, 2019, 05:10:41 PM »
I can't believe D/T has now been out for almost a whole year.  I know Feb. 22nd is still over a month away, so I'm a little early on the anniversary.  But what a great album!  I am absolutely loving the Mangini era!

I'm planning on listening to nothing but D/T on Feb 8th.  And here's a question, do any of you do that with any other DT album?  I am thinking I might start doing that this year and listen to DT's albums on the day they were released.

But... maybe that's just a goofy idea.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 06:31:20 PM by Northern Lion »

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2005 on: December 24, 2019, 05:18:35 PM »
I can't believe D/T has now been out for almost a whole year.  I know Feb. 8th is still a little over a month away, so I'm a little early on the anniversary.  But what a great album!  I am absolutely loving the Mangini era!

I'm planning on listening to nothing but D/T on Feb 8th.  And here's a question, do any of you do that with any other DT album?  I am thinking I might start doing that this year and listen to DT's albums on the day they were released.

D/T was released on February 22nd, fyi  :P
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2006 on: December 24, 2019, 06:32:35 PM »
Well, I read wikipedia wrong :).  Fixed  :tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2007 on: December 26, 2019, 11:34:34 AM »
I can't believe D/T has now been out for almost a whole year.  I know Feb. 8th is still a little over a month away, so I'm a little early on the anniversary.  But what a great album!  I am absolutely loving the Mangini era!

D/T was released on February 22nd, fyi  :P

I just listened to this today while doing some cleaning.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2008 on: December 26, 2019, 03:39:35 PM »
Well, on the 22nd - the anniversary - I will be watching them live! :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2009 on: January 31, 2020, 11:38:34 AM »
I finally acquired the d/t cd and blu-ray package.  Just listened to the blu-ray version and the sound quality is like night and day. I can see what JP meant when he said that this is how the album is meant to be heard.   I listened to it through my big home stereo and it just sounds so RICH and very pleasing to the ears. Like the equivalent of a fresh fluffy lemon cake with home made frosting. No matter how loud I crank the stereo, it never fatigued my ears like many cd's do.  The graphics are a nice bonus to watch along with too, and how they go along with the stories of each song. ESPECIALLY Pale Blue Dot!   :omg:  :metal :metal :metal
That would be bad-ass to see on imax!

I hope this could be the wave of the future, albums being released on high def/audio format.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:45:40 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2010 on: January 31, 2020, 01:44:14 PM »
I finally acquired the d/t cd and blu-ray package.  Just listened to the blu-ray version and the sound quality is like night and day. I can see what JP meant when he said that this is how the album is meant to be heard.   I listened to it through my big home stereo and it just sounds so RICH and very pleasing to the ears. Like the equivalent of a fresh fluffy lemon cake with home made frosting. No matter how loud I crank the stereo, it never fatigued my ears like many cd's do.  The graphics are a nice bonus to watch along with too, and how they go along with the stories of each song. ESPECIALLY Pale Blue Dot!   :omg:  :metal :metal :metal
That would be bad-ass to see on imax!

I hope this could be the wave of the future, albums being released on high def/audio format.

Wow, is PBD's annimation that good? I've gotten a little tired of the animation videos with this release, although I did really like Paralyzed one.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2011 on: January 31, 2020, 07:04:06 PM »
Yes, PBD's animation is really good imo.  It's kind of hit and miss in the other songs, FITL is also really cool with the mountians and the water.  The sound is STELLAR on blu-ray! 

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 07:11:14 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2012 on: February 22, 2020, 02:28:07 AM »
Happy 1st Anniversary to Distance Over Time! Will give it another listen later to commemorate it.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: February 23, 2020, 03:15:05 PM »
Wowsers a year already!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2014 on: February 23, 2020, 11:28:09 PM »
1 year on and this album is still amazing. An absolute beast.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2015 on: March 04, 2020, 05:28:49 PM »
Distance Over Costco

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2016 on: March 04, 2020, 05:31:50 PM »
Food Court Warrior :metal

(I just sent this to JP :lol )
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2017 on: March 04, 2020, 05:34:40 PM »
In a dark and lonely corner
of a mall once bright, now dim
sits the local food court warrior
aiming for the bin
tracing past decisions
he encounters a cleaning bot
is he doomed to be a man this world forgot
just a prisoner of the children on his back?

add in chorus as normal
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 05:44:33 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: March 04, 2020, 06:52:07 PM »

Distance Over Costco

Dang.  I came here to post a similar pic.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2019 on: March 04, 2020, 07:04:26 PM »
aiming for the bin
tracing past decisions

add in chorus as normal

:hefdaddy

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2020 on: March 04, 2020, 10:00:48 PM »
aiming for the bin
tracing past decisions

add in chorus as normal

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2021 on: March 05, 2020, 07:27:50 AM »
I'll never be able to listen to this song the same way ever again.
 :rollin

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: March 08, 2020, 09:31:35 AM »
^
 :D to the lyrics and magazine

I came here because we listened to the album on a drive yesterday.  I adjusted the album for my wife, having Room 137 'start' my side two, deleting S2N, and inserting Viper King before Pale Blue Dot.  Yeah, I know, ...but at least I get to listen to it on occasions on drives with her.

I still hear an instrument in spots that I hadn't heard in my prior umpteen listens.  The time and care they put into it shines.  This LP is aging really well for me. Still sounds as fresh as day one.

I listened to DT12 last night for the first time since D/T was released.  I can tell I didn't listen to it as much initially, or the years since, as I actually forgot a lot of segments and couldn't follow along with it many times.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2023 on: March 08, 2020, 07:46:46 PM »
^

I came here because we listened to the album on a drive yesterday.  I adjusted the album for my wife, having Room 137 'start' my side two, deleting S2N, and inserting Viper King before Pale Blue Dot.  Yeah, I know, ...but at least I get to listen to it on occasions on drives with her.

I still hear an instrument in spots that I hadn't heard in my prior umpteen listens.  The time and care they put into it shines.  This LP is aging really well for me. Still sounds as fresh as day one.

I listened to DT12 last night for the first time since D/T was released.  I can tell I didn't listen to it as much initially, or the years since, as I actually forgot a lot of segments and couldn't follow along with it many times.

You deleted S2N?!!!!  That's one of my favorite songs on the album.  But I get it, different strokes for different folks  :).

I actually think putting Viper King before Pale Blue Dot makes a lot of sense.  Pale Blue Dot is an excellent album closer.  Of course that depends on whether you thing Viper King is part of the album proper, which I do even though it is labeled as a bonus track.

Offline Rob24

« Reply #2024 on: March 10, 2020, 07:33:30 AM »
They used a stock photo on the cover, that's why it pops up elsewhere. Nothing to do with someone being a DT fan, the cover just wasn't really an original work.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2025 on: March 10, 2020, 08:27:01 PM »
We know, mang. That’s the joke  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: March 11, 2020, 05:56:09 PM »
^

You deleted S2N?!!!!  That's one of my favorite songs on the album.  But I get it, different strokes for different folks  :).

I actually think putting Viper King before Pale Blue Dot makes a lot of sense.  Pale Blue Dot is an excellent album closer.  Of course that depends on whether you thing Viper King is part of the album proper, which I do even though it is labeled as a bonus track.

I'm lucky....my wife and I are both in our 60s, Queen brought us together, but she is a ton more into mellow rock.  She's gone to four DT concerts with me, but I don't push things 'too much'.  That, and my boombox in the garage no longer plays CDs, so, in order to have a 60 minute cassette include VK and not cut out PBD at the end, S2N had to go.  And I got used to that flow.  But I do love S2N. 

And VK does work between Out of Reach and PBD as a change.  And it's fun.  And I have a couple small models sitting around the house of that car and gave them as gifts.  Being an ol' fart, I am soooo used to album sides, I'll insert silence in between tracks, and Rm 137 would have made an absolutely fab side two opener.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2027 on: May 23, 2020, 05:11:17 PM »
So I have had Distance Over Time in the car for the last week.

This is a really great album. So many excellent tunes.

I must say that At Wits End is incredible. It's a Top 5 tune of the Mangini Era for me. I still think it would've been better served to be the album closer, especially with the demo callback. Seems weird having that during the album.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2028 on: May 24, 2020, 06:34:01 AM »
So I have had Distance Over Time in the car for the last week.

This is a really great album. So many excellent tunes.

I must say that At Wits End is incredible. It's a Top 5 tune of the Mangini Era for me. I still think it would've been better served to be the album closer, especially with the demo callback. Seems weird having that during the album.

Yeah, I'm still spinning about once per month myself. Still dig it. S2N and AWE always grab my attention no matter what I'm doing. I've become fond of Pale Blue Dot--I didn't much care for it when the album first dropped. I pleased that it finally clicked. Now, I'm kinda the opposite with Viper King...it was a cool little ditty at first, but now I skip it.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2029 on: May 24, 2020, 03:28:50 PM »
Half of the album is Top Notch.

Fall Into The Light
Barstool Warrior
S2N
At Wits End
Pale Blue Dot

I do really like Viper King

I don't not like Untethered Angel. It's fine.

But I can definitely live without Paralyzed, Room 137, and Out Of Reach. Especially Out Of Reach. God does that song blow.