Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 187378 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1960 on: November 25, 2019, 07:50:59 PM »
Just here to show some love to the self-titled :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1961 on: November 26, 2019, 08:15:20 AM »
I'm right behind you Gabriel
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1962 on: November 26, 2019, 09:49:01 AM »
I actually enjoy TA slightly more than D/T as well.  It's close for sure though.
Same here. While DOT is more consistent in its quality, The Astonishing just has some absolutely brilliant material.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1963 on: November 27, 2019, 03:56:07 PM »
Played DoT a counter of times this week. First plays since the release extended honeymoon ended. Was curious to know how it would go and...

It's bloody great! Still my go-to DT album. Got them truly back on track since (for me) a very patchy and wobbly 15 years since 6D. Love it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1964 on: November 27, 2019, 04:46:15 PM »
I'm right behind you Gabriel

Yeah, it's got some pretty great songs on it.  I remember when the video for TEI came out on Youtube, and in the comments someone was commenting on JP's solo and asked if it was Joe Satriani.  Of course he was educated by others on the greatness of JP in pretty quick order :).

Although not my favorite DT album, it is awesome in many ways and I don't mind the way it sounds either.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1965 on: November 28, 2019, 12:34:20 AM »
I love the sound of DT12!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1966 on: November 28, 2019, 12:49:50 AM »
any rock can be made to roll

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1967 on: November 28, 2019, 10:24:01 AM »
DOT's mix is miles above DT12's but I think the criticism was way overblown back then. It's fine, it rocks.

The mix does not stop me from enjoying the music at any level.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1968 on: November 28, 2019, 05:08:55 PM »
DOT's mix is miles above DT12's but I think the criticism was way overblown back then. It's fine, it rocks.

The mix does not stop me from enjoying the music at any level.

I agree.  In fact the guitar sound has a lot of punch, which I like.  And the snare doesn't bother me.

But, having said that, D/T certainly sounds better.  And it does deserve all the praise it's getting.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1969 on: November 28, 2019, 06:46:51 PM »
I think SC and BCSL both sound worse than DT12.  I don’t hear people criticize the production on those albums the same way.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1970 on: November 28, 2019, 08:29:41 PM »
I think the biggest issue I have with the DT12 mix is that there are too many points the instruments feel like they're fighting each other instead of having their own space in the mix. It's not unlistenable or anything, but it sounds a lot more "we don't know what we're doing"-y than all their other albums except maybe WD&DU.

The instruments sound fine individually yes, but that's not really the point of a "mix", is it.  :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1971 on: November 28, 2019, 08:33:50 PM »
I think SC and BCSL both sound worse than DT12.  I don’t hear people criticize the production on those albums the same way.

That’s because there’s nothing wrong with the production on those albums except being loud and Portnoy being mixed too hot. The snare on DT12 alone puts it amongst the worst sounding DT albums.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1972 on: November 28, 2019, 08:57:47 PM »
I think the biggest issue I have with the DT12 mix is that there are too many points the instruments feel like they're fighting each other instead of having their own space in the mix. It's not unlistenable or anything, but it sounds a lot more "we don't know what we're doing"-y than all their other albums except maybe WD&DU.

The instruments sound fine individually yes, but that's not really the point of a "mix", is it.  :lol

As much as I love JP, those are his production decisions. Some fresh ears wouldn't hurt for future releases, but I don't think it's too likely to happen at this point.
I can listen to DT12 with no issues, but it's true it's not one of their best sounding albums. By far.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1973 on: November 29, 2019, 03:38:55 AM »
I think DT12 is definitely the worse sounding album after WDADU.
So many bad production decisions, and the snare alone is ruining everything.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1974 on: November 29, 2019, 10:02:23 AM »
DT12 is probably still my favorite MM-era album.  But the new one is climbing the charts.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1975 on: November 29, 2019, 10:44:20 AM »

Agreed, I don't know who on earth would like this snare.

Have you guys heard that play along video of MM of The Enemy Inside (of course you guys have)? Suddenly this track gets a a lot more groove. I hate when people say MM can't groove - he CAN, it's just that weird compressed drum sound that ruins it.
Proof 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTYWwqchhQ
Proof 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDY0hjky7i0 f.e. minute 3:00 and 4:40.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1976 on: November 29, 2019, 12:08:03 PM »

Have you guys heard that play along video of MM of The Enemy Inside (of course you guys have)? Suddenly this track gets a a lot more groove. I hate when people say MM can't groove - he CAN, it's just that weird compressed drum sound that ruins it.

He's so good.  This is one of DT's best singles IMO that gets very little love.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1977 on: November 29, 2019, 12:40:46 PM »

I'm here to compensate.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1978 on: November 29, 2019, 02:26:14 PM »
Last DT album I'd loved was ADTOE. I like D/T more than DT12 & TA, but still don't think is great. I'd put it in that "grey area" with BC&SL and Octavarium. Some good moments but not a cohesive work.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1979 on: November 29, 2019, 10:05:26 PM »

I'm here to compensate.

Me as well.  I didn't like TEI very much when I first heard it.  It took a while to grow on me and now I love it and always crank the volume when it comes on in my play list.  And, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it also get nominated for a Grammy?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1980 on: November 29, 2019, 10:43:24 PM »
And, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it also get nominated for a Grammy?

Yes, On The Backs Of Angels and The Enemy Inside are Dream Theater's two Grammy nominations (for "Best Metal Performance"), but they didn't win either of them, losing to Foo Fighters and Black Sabbath respectively.

(I looked that up btw. I don't have that kind of info on memory. :lol)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1981 on: November 30, 2019, 01:12:35 PM »
At this point, it feels like Distance over Time is similar to A Dramatic Turn of Events, for my tastes, in this way:

-Tracks 1 and 2 on both albums are all solid tunes, but none are essential, and I never seek out any of them on their own.
-Both have two really, really good songs that I would say don't quite make my DT top 25, but are good enough to be called modern day DT classics (Bridges in the Sky, Breaking All Illusions, Fall into the Light, At Wit's End).
-My 3rd favorite song on each album is a slower song (ballad or whatever) that is pretty damn good (This Is the Life and Out of Reach).
-Both have a couple of highly technical songs that I like, but don't love (Lost Not Forgotten, Outcry, S2N, Pale Blue Dot).
-I have minor issues with the sound of both (ADTOE is a bit too dry and muddy, DoT is a bit too hot).

« Reply #1982 on: November 30, 2019, 06:25:42 PM »
At this point, it feels like Distance over Time is similar to A Dramatic Turn of Events, for my tastes, in this way:

-Tracks 1 and 2 on both albums are all solid tunes, but none are essential, and I never seek out any of them on their own.
-Both have two really, really good songs that I would say don't quite make my DT top 25, but are good enough to be called modern day DT classics (Bridges in the Sky, Breaking All Illusions, Fall into the Light, At Wit's End).
-My 3rd favorite song on each album is a slower song (ballad or whatever) that is pretty damn good (This Is the Life and Out of Reach).
-Both have a couple of highly technical songs that I like, but don't love (Lost Not Forgotten, Outcry, S2N, Pale Blue Dot).
-I have minor issues with the sound of both (ADTOE is a bit too dry and muddy, DoT is a bit too hot).

I get this feeling totally!  I think that both of these albums are BETTER than the self titled one.  I put The Astonishing in another category because it is really different than a «regular» Dream Theater album.

Tx

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #1983 on: December 02, 2019, 02:11:36 PM »
Listening to DoT again and...it’s odd because it really is a great album, but I don’t think there’s one top 20 song on there. It’s like an entire album of songs that would be in my 30s and 40s if I were to rank them all. All very solid songs, just...not anything amazing, if that makes sense. It feels very “middle of the road”. Nothing weak at all imo, but nothing amazing either.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1984 on: December 17, 2019, 08:44:49 PM »
Found it on Facebook :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1985 on: December 18, 2019, 07:54:28 AM »
Listening to DoT again and...it’s odd because it really is a great album, but I don’t think there’s one top 20 song on there. It’s like an entire album of songs that would be in my 30s and 40s if I were to rank them all. All very solid songs, just...not anything amazing, if that makes sense. It feels very “middle of the road”. Nothing weak at all imo, but nothing amazing either.

I'm kind of with you on this. Don't know where I'd 'rank' them as far as all time DT songs.....but they are a group of really good, fun songs to listen to yet I don't revisit them all that much? When I do....I love them....but I'm not compelled to revisit them like I am to other DT material. It's odd.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1986 on: December 18, 2019, 08:10:34 AM »

I'm kind of with you on this. Don't know where I'd 'rank' them as far as all time DT songs.....but they are a group of really good, fun songs to listen to yet I don't revisit them all that much? When I do....I love them....but I'm not compelled to revisit them like I am to other DT material. It's odd.

For me, At Wit's End is up there, not sure where though, but overall I don't disagree that it's a collection of good songs but not necessarily the best songs DT has done.  But I also think DT's catalog of music is so strong, to break top 20 is already something really difficult to do.  Making an album full of 30/40 songs is still pretty strong, but at the end of the day, the album as a whole is somewhere in the middle of the ranks for me (probably upper half though).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1987 on: December 18, 2019, 01:56:15 PM »

For me, At Wit's End is up there, not sure where though, but overall I don't disagree that it's a collection of good songs but not necessarily the best songs DT has done.  But I also think DT's catalog of music is so strong, to break top 20 is already something really difficult to do.  Making an album full of 30/40 songs is still pretty strong, but at the end of the day, the album as a whole is somewhere in the middle of the ranks for me (probably upper half though).

Very true. There's just SO much to choose from.....and it's a ton of great music. Such a great problem to have  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: December 18, 2019, 01:58:41 PM »
Exactly, my comment was actually a compliment to the band having such massive and strong amount of material and even a compliment to D/T as landing in the upper half means it's a really good album for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1989 on: December 18, 2019, 02:01:56 PM »
  Don't know where I'd 'rank' them as far as all time DT songs.....but they are a group of really good, fun songs to listen to yet I don't revisit them all that much? When I do....I love them....but I'm not compelled to revisit them like I am to other DT material. It's odd.

Same for me.  Like you, I have so much to choose from, and who has the time to listen to all of the good music nowadays, but Distance over Time has barely gotten any play from me since I saw Dream Theater 2 1/2 months ago.  Quite a contrast to The Astonishing, which was still getting regular plays in my CD player well over a year after its release.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1990 on: December 18, 2019, 02:04:21 PM »
  Don't know where I'd 'rank' them as far as all time DT songs.....but they are a group of really good, fun songs to listen to yet I don't revisit them all that much? When I do....I love them....but I'm not compelled to revisit them like I am to other DT material. It's odd.

Same for me.  Like you, I have so much to choose from, and who has the time to listen to all of the good music nowadays, but Distance over Time has barely gotten any play from me since I saw Dream Theater 2 1/2 months ago.  Quite a contrast to The Astonishing, which was still getting regular plays in my CD player well over a year after its release.

Exactly why I like TA more than D/T.  D/T is very good, but I couldn't put TA down for the longest time.  It took awhile to really love it, but once I did, I really did love it which made the second time seeing it live all the much better and cemented it as one of my favorites from them.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1991 on: December 18, 2019, 02:07:15 PM »

Exactly why I like TA more than D/T.  D/T is very good, but I couldn't put TA down for the longest time.  It took awhile to really love it, but once I did, I really did love it which made the second time seeing it live all the much better and cemented it as one of my favorites from them.
seeing it live helped me appreciate it more (same as in your case), I appreciated it for what it was already, but the live show went the extra kilometer in that respect for me

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1992 on: December 18, 2019, 02:56:43 PM »

seeing it live helped me appreciate it more (same as in your case), I appreciated it for what it was already, but the live show went the extra kilometer in that respect for me

This. I 'really liked' TA when it came out. BUT.....when I saw it live it was just SO GOOD. Honestly, I think it was a CD/Story written to see live. Simple audio doesn't do it justice. The live performance was just incredible.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1993 on: December 18, 2019, 03:08:39 PM »
The performance was great, but the first time I saw it, at the Radio City Music Hall, I felt the atmosphere was terrible.  With all the ushers yelling at people to sit and shut up or put the phone away, the vibe was killed for me.  However, the second time, I got front row so none of that stuff could bother me and I just zoned out and fell in love with the performance.  It felt like they were playing to me and me alone.  Maybe it's because I've never seen a band I loved so much from the front row, or maybe it's because of that theater vibe of everyone sitting, and I did sit in the front row (no choice in the matter, ushers made us sit) that I just was so absorbed into the show.  Helped that JP shook my hand before getting off stage which cemented it as probably my favorite DT show ever. 

I told myself on the last SFAM tour, that it was front row or bust having seen the show twice before.  The only way I was going to top those experiences was to be up front and it just wasn't meant to be.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1994 on: December 18, 2019, 04:07:49 PM »
The performance was great, but the first time I saw it, at the Radio City Music Hall, I felt the atmosphere was terrible.  With all the ushers yelling at people to sit and shut up or put the phone away, the vibe was killed for me.

I remember that show. I got yelled at for taking my phone out, wasn’t even taking a picture lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk