Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 187315 times)

Online gborland

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1610 on: June 11, 2019, 03:12:46 AM »
I think JP's solo in Barstool Warrior may be one of his finest moments ever. I never thought he'd be able to top the solos in Voices or Octavarium, but he may just have done it.
Graham Borland

Offline JRuless

« Reply #1611 on: June 11, 2019, 11:31:40 AM »
Indeed! For me it's in the league of UAGM solo. Very tasty

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1612 on: June 11, 2019, 02:46:18 PM »
I think JP's solo in Barstool Warrior may be one of his finest moments ever. I never thought he'd be able to top the solos in Voices or Octavarium, but he may just have done it.

Mostly agree, but I still hold The Inevitable Summer solo from ACOS in higher regard.  :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1613 on: June 12, 2019, 07:55:19 AM »
JP just has too many greater ones for me to say it is one of his best, but that solo in Barstool Warrior is definitely pretty sweet.  :coolio

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1614 on: June 12, 2019, 07:59:46 AM »
I love JP's solos on the new album. They sound fantastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1615 on: June 12, 2019, 04:31:59 PM »
The thing with JP is that he has SO MANY perfect guitar solos, that it’s impossible to pick a favorite, not even a top 5, at least for me.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1616 on: June 13, 2019, 06:54:24 AM »
JP's guitar tone on the new album is incredible as well. I don't consciously keep track of this stuff, but it's got to be one of the best guitar tones I've ever heard.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1617 on: June 13, 2019, 10:33:01 AM »
I totally agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1618 on: June 13, 2019, 12:36:21 PM »
JP's guitar tone on the new album is incredible as well. I don't consciously keep track of this stuff, but it's got to be one of the best guitar tones I've ever heard.

That struck me as well. Agreed.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #1619 on: June 17, 2019, 01:36:24 PM »
Saw the guys at download festival in the UK last night. Great stuff, the new songs work really well live having such great riffs and whatnot. Petrucci was excellent, amazing tone and pretty much flawless playing throughout!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1620 on: June 18, 2019, 12:02:38 AM »
Saw the guys at download festival in the UK last night. Great stuff, the new songs work really well live having such great riffs and whatnot. Petrucci was excellent, amazing tone and pretty much flawless playing throughout!
Cool, how big was the audience?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #1621 on: June 18, 2019, 03:22:01 AM »
Oh god, that's hard to say haha!! They played the second stage between Anthrax and Slayer and it was completely packed that's for sure!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1622 on: June 18, 2019, 09:07:40 AM »

Just got through hearing BW and it donned on me that what makes JP's solo so awesome is JR's accompaniment in the background.  The keys are absolutely epic also.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: June 19, 2019, 04:03:05 PM »
This album is aging like wine for me, I'm still revisiting it at least once a week at this point, after the initial run of several times daily for the first couple of month.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1624 on: June 19, 2019, 04:40:06 PM »
Oh god, that's hard to say haha!! They played the second stage between Anthrax and Slayer and it was completely packed that's for sure!

How did they go down between Anthrax and Slayer, thought it was a tough spot to put them in. I know DT can go pretty heavy when they want to but still felt it was a strange place to put them.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1625 on: June 19, 2019, 04:43:46 PM »
This album is aging like wine for me, I'm still revisiting it at least once a week at this point, after the initial run of several times daily for the first couple of month.

Still on constant rotation in the car and still not one song that I ever skip. I even enjoy Viper King a lot now where I initially felt it was out of place and shouldn’t be on there. I initially deleted it from my iPhone version of the album but, having the cd on in the car all the time, I’ve grown to appreciate it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1626 on: June 19, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »
I'm not listening to the first two songs much anymore, but the rest is still getting regular rotation with me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: June 19, 2019, 10:14:56 PM »
After another listen, it is holding up well, though I still rank it below ADToE out of the last 4. AWE is a stellar song, and would be a highlight on any DT album. That song deserves live treatment on all current tours. PBD is a disappointment to me. I don't consider songs disappointments often. If I don't like a song, I don't like it. If my expectations were out of whack, I try not to let it color my opinions. But for whatever reason I feel like this song has untapped potential.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1628 on: June 20, 2019, 08:49:48 AM »
After another listen, it is holding up well, though I still rank it below ADToE out of the last 4. AWE is a stellar song, and would be a highlight on any DT album. That song deserves live treatment on all current tours. PBD is a disappointment to me. I don't consider songs disappointments often. If I don't like a song, I don't like it. If my expectations were out of whack, I try not to let it color my opinions. But for whatever reason I feel like this song has untapped potential.

I know what you mean. I like Pale Blue Dot, but I don't love it, and also feel like it could have been so much better had the focus been more on melody rather than making it all crazy with the time signatures and whatnot.  At Wit's End is like a million times better, for sure.  :tup :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1629 on: June 20, 2019, 09:11:24 AM »

I know what you mean. I like Pale Blue Dot, but I don't love it, and also feel like it could have been so much better had the focus been more on melody rather than making it all crazy with the time signatures and whatnot.  At Wit's End is like a million times better, for sure.  :tup :tup

But, that's why PBD is the way it is. It's meant to be.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1630 on: June 20, 2019, 10:51:40 AM »
I like how Pale blue dot is subtle and abstract melodically. The melody doesn't jump out, but it's still there. The melodies on At wit's end sound a bit predictable and sometimes too simple for me to get into them.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #1631 on: June 20, 2019, 11:26:20 AM »
Bar stool Warrior as a song and the Solo it self is really a stand out but I can't say it is the best even in the album.

I am trying to learn that song and it kicked my ass!
And she listens openly

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1632 on: June 20, 2019, 11:43:22 AM »
At First, PBD was ok. It had some interesting sounds.  But now, after time and getting to know the song well, when it comes up on a random play, I am cranking it and enjoying it all! :metal   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1633 on: June 20, 2019, 11:56:10 AM »
I liked it at first, but the odd 19 time signature just made it seem to random and wanky at times.  But then I heard JP explain how he counts it (4 4's and then a 3 the fifth time through so it is unresolved), and it clicked for me and makes total sense.  And I love the contemplative nature of the subject matter, so there's that too.  Really fun song.  I enjoy it a lot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: June 20, 2019, 12:27:37 PM »
I definitely love AWE more than PBD and initially felt that same "where's the rest?" for PBD.  Like it was missing something and that kind of made me put it lower in my song rankings for the album.  Then I saw it live, twice, and I really enjoy it a lot more now.  Still would put AWE over it, but it no longer has the feeling of missing something.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1635 on: June 20, 2019, 12:45:28 PM »
I liked it at first, but the odd 19 time signature just made it seem to random and wanky at times.  But then I heard JP explain how he counts it (4 4's and then a 3 the fifth time through so it is unresolved), and it clicked for me and makes total sense.  And I love the contemplative nature of the subject matter, so there's that too.  Really fun song.  I enjoy it a lot.

I get that, but even just reading that makes me think of the song as more of a mathematical exercise than anything else, instrumentally speaking that is, since I do like the vocal melodies a lot.  It's like The Dance of Eternity but with some vocals.

But, that's why PBD is the way it is. It's meant to be.

I understand that, but DT being as technical as they can be is not what I love the most about them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1636 on: June 20, 2019, 01:10:13 PM »

I get that, but even just reading that makes me think of the song as more of a mathematical exercise than anything else, instrumentally speaking that is, since I do like the vocal melodies a lot.  It's like The Dance of Eternity but with some vocals.

I don't really disagree with that description.  But I also don't think that is a bad thing at all.  IMO, it totally works.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1637 on: June 20, 2019, 03:31:43 PM »
It is a bit DoE with vocals. I love it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline 425

« Reply #1638 on: June 22, 2019, 05:31:56 PM »
I will eventually come back and make a lengthier post of my thoughts, but it's worth saying, since I've been a bit down on this record elsewhere on the forum:

My initial impressions of this album were quite negative. I really didn't like it at all and wound up neglecting it for a good while. I especially disliked Room 137, S2N and Pale Blue Dot.

Five or six listens in, and I'm finally starting to come around on it. I don't know where it's going to land, but at this point:

1. Fall into the Light (which I did not listen to prior to the album, honestly because Untethered Angel was such a disappointment at that time that I stopped paying attention) is maybe the best song here, particularly because of the instrumental break.

2. Still not crazy about S2N or R137, but I at least think they're decent songs. I do find it strange that S2N is such a favorite while Systematic Chaos is so hated. For all the claims that MP was trying to make DT into modern metal on SC and BCSL, R137 and S2N are WAY more modern metal than anything on either of those albums... yet they are generally liked while SC and BCSL aren't. Just something I find interesting.

3. I agree with those who say that At Wit's End should have been the album closer. The experimental outro is interesting, and in my opinion works quite well.

4. I do not like the production on this album. It is true that it is fairly clear, with each instrument being fairly distinguishable, but JR is too low in the mix, JP's guitar sound is too monotonically chunky (this is also true of DT12), and the thing is way, way too loud. I have to turn it a solid 10% below the volume I'd use for, say, the latest Neal Morse Band album. I wish they would stop with the heavy guitar sound and brickwalled production.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1639 on: June 22, 2019, 07:37:38 PM »
I like both Room 137 and S2N a lot, but I suspect both will eventually because songs I view as good, but rarely re-visit on their own, only really hearing them when listening to Distance over Time from start to finish.

I fully expect At Wit's End and Fall into the Light to hold up as major favorites for me in the long run.   I haven't done a DT top 50 in quite a while (probably a year or two before The Astonishing came out), but I am sure both will end up in there, with Barstool Warrior having a puncher's chance to make it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1640 on: June 22, 2019, 09:24:32 PM »
R137 and S2N have reached "skippable" status when I play the album star to finish. At least it's convenient for me they are back to back.

AWE and Fall into the Light would make my Top 50 easily, AWE maybe 20.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1641 on: June 23, 2019, 07:28:59 AM »
I had a brain cramp last night and totally forgot to mention Out of Reach, which I probably like about as much as Barstool Warrior.  Love that one as well.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1642 on: June 23, 2019, 07:39:16 AM »
Viper King is still my favorite from this album, but Out Of Reach and pale Blue Dot have really jumped ahead of the pack. I think OOR might be my favorite ballad of theirs since Disappear. PBD was my least favorite song initially but I've really come to love how odd it sounds, mainly the chordal structures in the verses. I do wish it was extended a bit more and maybe an atmospheric bit added to signify the "vastness of space" or whatever, but I'm pretty happy with it. I think my least favorite song is actually Barstool Warrior, mainly because it reminds me too much of The Bigger Picture at spots.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1643 on: June 23, 2019, 07:44:03 AM »
Viper King would probably me my 5th favorite at this point.  It's all kinds of fun, and I really like that they did a song that just effortlessly rocks without sounding like a technical show.

1a. Fall Into the Light
1b. At Wit's End
3. Barstool Warrior
4. Out of Reach
5. Viper King
6. Pale Blue Dot
7. Room 137
8. S2N
9. Untethered Angel
10. Paralyzed

Offline Mladen