Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 189408 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1190 on: March 05, 2019, 08:41:09 AM »
Mericege, welcome to the board!  Great first post btw.   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1191 on: March 05, 2019, 08:47:58 AM »
So, I've been out of the loop, has the BluRay been released by now?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1192 on: March 05, 2019, 08:49:49 AM »
There's also the Top Album Sales chart. Basically, what the Billboard 200 was before introducing Album Equivalent Units. It counts physical and digital sales, but not streaming.

On this chart, Distance Over Time debuted at #5 in the US.
https://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales

So this is the classic Billboard chart thay excludes streaming. So this means THIS IS THEIR HIGHEST CHARTING ALBUM.

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #1193 on: March 05, 2019, 08:50:36 AM »
To add to this, hype levels may have been lower because Falling Into Infinity wasn't that good

This could be why d/t started low.  I know many of us here appreciate TA but "the masses" didn't seem to, so the pre-release buzz for this album may have been a little lower.

Having said that, maybe this album will have a couple of weeks of staying power (unlike most DT releases).  I can't remember the last time a DT album had this much positive buzz post-release.
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #1194 on: March 05, 2019, 08:53:19 AM »
Album equivalent units. That don't at all factor in length of albums or songs. In the US, they started to count these towards album sales in late 2014. 1250 song streams on a paid service count as a sale (3750 on a free ad supported service).
If you have an hour long record with 10 tracks, or a 35 minute record with 18 tracks, the latter is getting more 'sales' in a shorter amount of time, even if they get the same number of start to finish album plays.

The Astonishing was actually decently set up for this, with 34 tracks per full listen (with maybe one or two of the shorter interludes not counting).
Distance Over Time on the other hand is 9 tracks per full listen (I legitimately don't know if Viper King counts toward album sales for this, since it's a 'bonus track').

Then you have a zillion Soundcloud rappers on the charts, who have been on there since, well would you look at that, early 2015. Right after this change was made. They were barely selling any records when people had to actually spend money, but they've really shot up with streaming. Most of them tend to have albums with short run times and lots of tracks, which inflates their 'sales' under the new system.

It will be very interesting to see what the actual sales numbers were for D/T.

As an aside, Distance Over Time debuted at #12 here in Canada.

Great explanation, thanks.  Puts a whole new perspective on the BB 200.
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1195 on: March 05, 2019, 08:56:25 AM »
To add to this, hype levels may have been lower because Falling Into Infinity wasn't that good

This could be why d/t started low.  I know many of us here appreciate TA but "the masses" didn't seem to, so the pre-release buzz for this album may have been a little lower.

Having said that, maybe this album will have a couple of weeks of staying power (unlike most DT releases).  I can't remember the last time a DT album had this much positive buzz post-release.

It is not low. As explained above, the Billboard 200 today is not comparable pre-2015 because it now includes streams. If we go to the chart of actual album sales, it debuted at #5.

Offline Mericege

« Reply #1196 on: March 05, 2019, 08:57:44 AM »
Mericege, welcome to the board!  Great first post btw.   :tup
Thanks Man .

🤘🤘🤘

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1197 on: March 05, 2019, 09:40:37 AM »

It is not low. As explained above, the Billboard 200 today is not comparable pre-2015 because it now includes streams. If we go to the chart of actual album sales, it debuted at #5.

That is actually quite good.

Might have been higher if Inside Out got their act together. I still haven't received my box set. Many people still haven't even received their single cd.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1198 on: March 05, 2019, 09:41:10 AM »
Don't know if that has been posted before:

https://www.offiziellecharts.de/charts/album
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #1199 on: March 05, 2019, 10:20:23 AM »
There's also the Top Album Sales chart. Basically, what the Billboard 200 was before introducing Album Equivalent Units. It counts physical and digital sales, but not streaming.

Well, that puts it into a much better perspective and, looking at it like that, it makes much more sense considering that the album charted very high elsewhere. Like erwinrafael said, it can technically be regarded their highest charting album on Billboard then.

Great! And thanks for the helpful explanation! :)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: March 05, 2019, 10:51:54 AM »
So, I've been out of the loop, has the BluRay been released by now?

You mean the one that comes with the collector's edition? If so then yes.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #1201 on: March 05, 2019, 11:11:11 AM »
I could not disagree more about JlB performance. Now I have been very critical of him over the years. I believe that’s why I’m being “watched”, I’m sure it was some harsh comment about him some years ago. He sounds more natural in this album than any other album since as far back as 6DOIT.

LOL, I think I'm being watched because I made a comment years ago about Petrucci looking silly and needing to shave his beard.  It seems John didnt listen to me.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1202 on: March 05, 2019, 11:18:34 AM »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1203 on: March 05, 2019, 11:33:54 AM »

Well, that puts it into a much better perspective and, looking at it like that, it makes much more sense considering that the album charted very high elsewhere. Like erwinrafael said, it can technically be regarded their highest charting album on Billboard then.

Great! And thanks for the helpful explanation! :)
Can we just take this #5 ranking and compare it to the previous releases?  Like it the chart on the previous page.  Are we comparing the same things?  Is the #6 ranking for BC&SL the same as the #5 for D/T?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: March 05, 2019, 12:02:38 PM »
Anybody know what the phrase "At Wit's End" actually means? Is that "wit" as in mind/sanity/reason?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1205 on: March 05, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »
Is there any chance something from this album could be nominated for a Grammy, or would that already have been stated by now? I don't know how that works.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1206 on: March 05, 2019, 12:11:26 PM »
Anybody know what the phrase "At Wit's End" actually means? Is that "wit" as in mind/sanity/reason?

"The idiom at wits' end means to be very upset, or at the limits of one's emotional or mental limitations. It's commonly spelled at wit's end, but we say at the end of my wits, not at the end of my wit, so at wits' end makes more sense". (taken from the site grammarist.com)

Or for a more detailed definition :

www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/at-ones-wits-end.html

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: March 05, 2019, 12:17:47 PM »
Thanks B.Lee!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1208 on: March 05, 2019, 01:05:13 PM »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1209 on: March 05, 2019, 01:23:22 PM »
Is there any chance something from this album could be nominated for a Grammy, or would that already have been stated by now? I don't know how that works.
I think there are songs on this album that should easily qualify.  Untethered Angel most likely since it is the first track and single.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1210 on: March 05, 2019, 02:39:44 PM »
UA wouldn't be my first choice for a nomination since there are many better candidates on the album.  Having said that, I think DoT is a fantastic return to form by the band.  Yes, we all know how I felt about the last 2 albums.  My DT faith has been renewed.  After only 4 or 5 spins, this album is a gem.  So many tasty things going on that I can't really list at this point.  I can definitely see DoT becoming Progressive Metal album of the year.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1211 on: March 05, 2019, 02:42:50 PM »
UA wouldn't be my first choice for a nomination since there are many better candidates on the album.  Having said that, I think DoT is a fantastic return to form by the band.  Yes, we all know how I felt about the last 2 albums.  My DT faith has been renewed.  After only 4 or 5 spins, this album is a gem.  So many tasty things going on that I can't really list at this point.  I can definitely see DoT becoming Progressive Metal album of the year.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but were you the poster who dismissed UA when it was released and said something about the band not putting any effort in? I apologize if that was someone else.

Edit: never mind, I just saw your retraction in the UA thread  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1212 on: March 05, 2019, 06:38:35 PM »
 :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1213 on: March 05, 2019, 06:54:05 PM »
One thing I will criticize is JLB should have recorded the vocals in upstate NY. I also get the feeling a 'same-y-ness' with the choruses on this album, almost seem stock, and don't always feel like they fit with the rest of the song, to my ears. The band could be a little more creative about the chorus, or not worry about verse-chorus structure so much, I mean, they are a Progressive Metal band.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1214 on: March 05, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »
^ Yes, one of the many things I enjoyed about TA was some unconventional song structures. I agree they do the big half-time chorus way too often.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1215 on: March 05, 2019, 08:44:17 PM »
Yeah, I think the part of this album I like the least was the choruses. They were usually the least interesting part of each song. Dream Theater's verses have always been better than their choruses (and most metal is like this imo), but this album really makes it extreme. After hearing it a couple of times, I realized that choruses in Barstool Warrior are what makes me not like the song as much because of this.

Really, I think one thing I would've liked them to keep over from the musical theater influences they absorbed for The Astonishing. Compare say the chorus for Untethered Angel (one of the better ones on the album imo) to something like How Far I'll Go from Moana or Cell Block Tango from Chicago or even Pinball Wizard from Tommy.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1216 on: March 05, 2019, 09:25:56 PM »
UA might be the best chorus on the album, and fits the song very well.

Offline Aitania

« Reply #1217 on: March 06, 2019, 12:08:01 AM »
So, they hit Nr. 1 on the Swiss album charts! :D Very happy for them!

EDIT: It's actually their highest charting album ever as well! :tup
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 04:56:51 AM by Aitania »

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #1218 on: March 06, 2019, 12:16:47 AM »
UA while my least favorite song of the album, could get a nomination. Paralyzed could be a radio single with a bit of editing so it stays under 3:30.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1219 on: March 06, 2019, 01:43:03 AM »

Who are you, and what have you done with Dublagent66??  :lol

Joking, of course - I'm glad you're enjoying the album.   :tup

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1220 on: March 06, 2019, 08:05:45 AM »

Who are you, and what have you done with Dublagent66??  :lol

Joking, of course - I'm glad you're enjoying the album.   :tup

Was thinking the same : where is Dublagent66? It's not his guy in any case because when have you seen Dublagent66 liking a DT album as of late?!?  :rollin :rollin :rollin Kidding of course : I'm glad your liking for DT was rekindled with the release of D/T.

B.Lee

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1221 on: March 06, 2019, 08:09:48 AM »
To the two or three of you complaining about the choruses or lack thereof:  I really don't get what you are talking about.  The choruses are clearly there, and I think they are fantastic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1222 on: March 06, 2019, 08:15:41 AM »
Yep, they did a really good job with the choruses on this record.  And the last album. And the one before that... :lol :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1223 on: March 06, 2019, 08:18:43 AM »
To the two or three of you complaining about the choruses or lack thereof:  I really don't get what you are talking about.  The choruses are clearly there, and I think they are fantastic.

Yes, I don't see where this is coming from : the choruses are fantastic and as Kev said, they have been so for a while, if not, with a few exceptions, for ever. Man, D/T / DT is great!

B.Lee

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1224 on: March 06, 2019, 08:31:57 AM »
So today on my commute home, which takes the time of around 1 CD-length playlist, I just added Breaking All Illusions to the end of D/T. Voila, I think I now have my favorite DT "album".  :lol