Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 192909 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1015 on: February 28, 2019, 01:37:08 PM »
I thought it was immaculate, until I read the lyrics.

..and now I have to go and look up “antonym”  ;)

This forum is just too highbrow for me..

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1016 on: February 28, 2019, 01:40:26 PM »
Also.... I think my favorite part of the album may be on "AWE" on the part right after the chorus and right before the sleepless words for wear part.    Amazing riff and Labrie slays it.   Big SDOIT vibe there.

My favorite part of the album might be right after that sleepless word part - the "deafening, deafening" part. Such a killer part that only shows up once and then is gone forever.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1017 on: February 28, 2019, 01:44:46 PM »
Out of Reach is terrific.  And that twist in the lyrics...  :omg: 

Maybe I'm not getting this because I'm not a native english speaker, but I've read the lyrics and don't find anything shocking, care to explain? :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rab7

« Reply #1018 on: February 28, 2019, 01:50:22 PM »

Maybe I'm not getting this because I'm not a native english speaker, but I've read the lyrics and don't find anything shocking, care to explain? :biggrin:

I really really would like to know this as well. Noxon says it's about being friendzoned, which I do not see at all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1019 on: February 28, 2019, 01:51:22 PM »

Well, "shocking" is an ironically great choice of words that has something to do with it.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #1020 on: February 28, 2019, 01:51:36 PM »
Okay after a week to digest things; I think it just kicks all kinds of ass. Not a bad tune on the album.

Actually having a hard time ranking them, I like every track equally. Everything is tied for 1st place except Out of Reach, comes in at 2nd only because I'm not a big ballad guy.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1021 on: February 28, 2019, 01:52:02 PM »
The part with:
"Deafening, deafening
Shout it out, shout it out
Burning, burning
No way out, no way out"

From At Wits End, really reminds me of something but I can't remember what......anyone know?

forgive if it's been answered but....  https://youtu.be/R8XgP8C2oqU?t=347
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline rab7

« Reply #1022 on: February 28, 2019, 02:20:58 PM »

Well, "shocking" is an ironically great choice of words that has something to do with it.  :lol

Ok I'll bite.

The singer is a ghost singing about his wife. He's dead because he got electrocuted. He also drowned.

She can't let go of him and is letting her life slip away as a result.

She's out of reach because he's in the afterlife

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1023 on: February 28, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »
Song is supposed to be of a guy who meets a girl at a coffee shop...don't know how credible this is though.

"I wanted to write a song about how people are affected when they lose a loved one," LaBrie said in a Songfacts interview. "This guy notices an absolutely beautiful girl, and at first he thinks she has it all going for her: she's beautiful, well-dressed, seems to be financially stable. But as he sees her from day to day, sitting at her table, he realizes there is a sadness to her. So, the lyric is about him trying to communicate to her to rediscover love, because he sees that something is seriously missing in her life due to a loss."
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1024 on: February 28, 2019, 02:29:53 PM »
The part with:
"Deafening, deafening
Shout it out, shout it out
Burning, burning
No way out, no way out"

From At Wits End, really reminds me of something but I can't remember what......anyone know?

forgive if it's been answered but....  https://youtu.be/R8XgP8C2oqU?t=347
That's my favorite part of AWE, that song needs more of that!
It reminds me of a Porcupine Tree song, but I can't recall the name right now. I'll post it later..I'm pretty sure it's Track 2 off the Deadwing album.
 Edited:  the song is called Shallow.  It's not identical, but similar.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:10:13 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #1025 on: February 28, 2019, 02:51:32 PM »
grabbed me after first listen, that's good point.. straightful and strong release indeed...

top highlight:
S2N

highlights:
FITL
PBD
JP
MM
JM

pros:
best MM era album so far
production and sound

cons:
quite many SC vibes...

wishes:
more toms
if PBD was opener on album.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1026 on: February 28, 2019, 04:14:37 PM »
Man, I really quite like the Darth Vader section in PBD. I wish it was longer.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1027 on: February 28, 2019, 04:23:25 PM »
Happy Vlasto day! Glad you like it.

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #1028 on: February 28, 2019, 04:43:09 PM »
Great album and likely to satisfy the majority of listeners who despised The Astonishing.

Barstool Warrior is incredible, but should have been given a different song title.

Not sure, but perhaps Out of Reach should have been swapped out for Viper King.

S2N's heavy outro is awesome, but sort of feels out of place.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: February 28, 2019, 05:15:02 PM »
Great album and likely to satisfy the majority of listeners who despised The Astonishing.

Barstool Warrior is incredible, but should have been given a different song title.

No way.  Can't agree with that one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1030 on: February 28, 2019, 05:22:14 PM »

Ok I'll bite.

The singer is a ghost singing about his wife. He's dead because he got electrocuted. He also drowned.

She can't let go of him and is letting her life slip away as a result.

She's out of reach because he's in the afterlife

I also got a ghost vibe from the song. But what is the twist in the lyrics?

Offline RJ86

« Reply #1031 on: February 28, 2019, 05:35:31 PM »
After my disappointment with the last album, I was hesitant about this new release. I am sitting here on the 4th track in listening via youtube.. Hell! This is a really good album so far. I am almost tearing up... My other window is open to Amazon to purchase.

:metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: February 28, 2019, 05:37:14 PM »

No way.  Can't agree with that one.

I really love Viper King, but it feels a bit out of place on the album where as Out of Reach fits in for the ballad after the way At Wits End ends.  I'd probably say I like Viper King more, but it feels like the bonus track moreso than Out of Reach.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1033 on: February 28, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
Paralyzed just keeps growing on me... James is really on fire and the melodies are awesome. 

The vibe kind of reminds me of Misunderstood.

Its one of the songs I continue to crave... its literally ear candy.    I didn't expect that after my first few listens to it.

Really enjoying this album.  I hope they continue to write this way. 

I love the album and have it ranked 5th now but I'm going to throw in some EXTREME nitpicking just because I am bored.  Curious if other's agree with me on some of these.   These are truly EXTREME nitpicks and not song rankings or song opinions.    I say no complaints on Room 137 but its far from my favorite track on the album.   I just don't have any structural complaints about it.

UA:  I wish they found a smoother way to transition into the instrumental section... the drum/guitar run is sort of played out.  I also wish JR's keys were louder when they bring back the opening riff and he sort of plays a lead part.

Paralyzed:  Loving it and James is amazing... on the " ghost within" and time again"... parts I wish he didn't drag the words out.. I think it would sound cooler.  Its the only part of the song that reminds me of SC era DT because of that one little drag of the note

FITL: no complaints

BW: I wish they would have ended it before the "no one can save you part"  It drags a bit and keeps it from perfection

Room 137: No real complaints

S2N: This is the one song where we badly needed more of JR... I think more of a soundscape with some color would have elevated this to classic DT status.  Picture this song with SDOIT version of JR...would be amazing.   As it is, its a very good song.

At Wits End: Not a big fan of the time elapsed between the ending and the outro..... the outro sounds incredible though.  I wish they would have faded straight to that and made that louder and MUCH longer.  It sounds gorgeous.   Maybe live we will get treated to that.

Out of Reach: Fantastic all the way through.   No complaints.

Pale Blue Dot: Not going to nitpick this one... its a crazy song.    I don't love the chorus but thats less a nitpick and more of just my tastes

Viper King: No real complaints

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: February 28, 2019, 07:16:41 PM »
JM never seizes to amaze me, in the track-by-track video for S2N, he sits down with MM and JLB. If you show that video to someone who knows nothing about DT and asked them to guess which one of these three is a founding member of the band, they'll never guess it was JM, with how polite and restrained his mannerisms are.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1035 on: February 28, 2019, 07:42:12 PM »
I think one review called the song the obligatory ballad or something similar and it does kind of come off as that on such a heavy album, but I think it's a nice song and I love it's placement.  It works really well after At Wits End.  Its a solid DT ballad song, maybe even in their upper half of DT ballads.

After At Wits End majestic ending, it needed to be followed by something somber and softer. Which OOR is great before Pale Blue Dot.

Pale Blue Dot, is a nice fit for the ending, likely due to its lyric subject. Which is also why I feel AWE is perfect where its placed. The entire Tracklisting is perfect as is for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1036 on: February 28, 2019, 07:48:21 PM »
JM never seizes to amaze me, in the track-by-track video for S2N, he sits down with MM and JLB. If you show that video to someone who knows nothing about DT and asked them to guess which one of these three is a founding member of the band, they'll never guess it was JM, with how polite and restrained his mannerisms are.

Very cool.

He has already spoken more during the d/t promotion than in all previous years combined!  :biggrin:

Love JM.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1037 on: February 28, 2019, 08:12:42 PM »
Put me in the camp that “Pale Blue Dot” should not be the closer on the album.  It just doesn’t feel right.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1038 on: February 28, 2019, 08:20:41 PM »
Both DOT and The Verdict were supposed to be shipped by March 1st.    The Verdict has shipped and will be arriving tomorrow. 

DOH!!!!   I just looked at it again.   I was up late at night pre-ordering, and didn't realize until just now that I ordered the BOXED SET.   That must be why there is a delay.   I wonder if they will write me later and tell me that it's just....gone.   

Maybe I better just order the regular CD instead.   If I ended up with both, it wouldn't be that big a deal.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1039 on: February 28, 2019, 09:05:26 PM »
Glad that Viper King was left off the album, I just can’t take it seriously. But then again, maybe that’s the whole point of it?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1040 on: February 28, 2019, 09:30:38 PM »
Glad that Viper King was left off the album, I just can’t take it seriously. But then again, maybe that’s the whole point of it?

Clearly.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1041 on: February 28, 2019, 09:38:41 PM »
Viper King is such a fun song though. I love the hammond organ and the guitar absolutely shreds on the soloing.  I'm so glad it's on the CD I bought from the music store.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1042 on: February 28, 2019, 10:10:12 PM »
VP is fun and fits D/T very well. It definitely serves as the “end credits” of the album like others have said and it’s a nice “encore” after PBD is finished and your mind still hurts because of it. Glad they included it :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: February 28, 2019, 11:08:57 PM »
Bought 2 new CDs within a month of each other (DT and Within Temptation), and can honestly say it's been years since that happened.

So let me get this straight, when I get home next week and find my standard edition CD waiting, Viper King will be on it?

Most likely

What's the deal with this? Haven't been following this thread last couple days (too busy to keep up). Just got my "standard" jewel case and it has VK on it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #1044 on: February 28, 2019, 11:12:01 PM »
After buying The Astonishing in CD format and never opening it, I figured this time around I'd just go digital.

People just don't have the time for CDs anymore, and no one seems to care.

My friends, I've heard the D.O.T., it has the songs for you and me

The album is the answer to our prayer

Sooooo anyone else caught up on this?  :mehlin

Offline V_R11

« Reply #1045 on: March 01, 2019, 03:33:24 AM »
I agree that VK is fun and I like it but I'd like to know what is Viper King

Also, yes, Barstool Warrior is a pretty silly title out of context but given what the song is about I don't think it's that bad but actually kind of fitting
Seasons change and so can I

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1046 on: March 01, 2019, 03:54:03 AM »

It's a Dodge Viper - one of those stupid American muscle cars they seem to like over there that can't go round corners and is outclassed in every respect by most common European road cars. Honestly, my Ford Fiesta is better than one of those things.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1047 on: March 01, 2019, 04:21:52 AM »
Nice to hear JM get out his fretless bass on Out of Reach. When was the last time he used one?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1048 on: March 01, 2019, 05:07:55 AM »

It's a Dodge Viper - one of those stupid American muscle cars they seem to like over there that can't go round corners and is outclassed in every respect by most common European road cars. Honestly, my Ford Fiesta is better than one of those things.

:lol at this. Just thinking of my own trusty 2008 Fiesta which is currently in getting fixed.

Even if someone did give me a Dodge Viper, I'd need a second mortgage to be able to put petrol in it, what with UK fuel prices.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #1049 on: March 01, 2019, 05:23:37 AM »
I recommend a yellow jacket!
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//