Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 192921 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #630 on: February 23, 2019, 11:06:12 PM »
At Wits End:

Does anyone get a WDADU vibe from 2:07 - 2:34  &  FII 2:47 - 3:04? This is one of the best songs they have ever written IMO but everyone will have their own favourites.

Can anyone else hear the weird tapping at 5:57 to 6:02 (turn it up and you will hear it, sounds like a hollow tapping)???? I thought it was originally the click-track coming through JP's pickups when he was recording his solo but when I listened to the instrumental version its not there so I think maybe JLBs reverb/echo on vocal overdubs have picked up something weird? I cant hear it on the spotify or youtube version buts there on the cd, dvd, and bluray versions but not in the instrumental so I think it may be part of the vocal echo or the way its mixed? 

Its driving me crazy so can someone please explain/clear this up this for me!!!
Can you give more details? What is the frequency? Which kind of tapping does it sound like? The only beats I hear appear to be from the drums.

Not sure about the frequency but when James says "warped inside never ending tide.....") there is about 2 beats then are about 6-8 taps or knocks that sound like a click track reverb (maybe James's click track?) that start at 5:57 and finish at 6:02.

Is it on the instrumental version?

No definitely not on the instrumental version that's why I ruled out click track through pickups.  I'm surprised no one else can hear it, I showed my wife who didn't hear it but after a few listens she did.  I cant hear it through spotify but thats probably because of the poor sample rate.  I beleive the instrumental CD was remixed which leads me to believe its a processing effect through JLBs vocals.

Just tried twice. Couldn't hear it on the first attempt, clear as anything on the second once my ears had acclimatised. Almost sounds like someone tapping on a hollow piece of wood. Listening to the CD rip on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT(!) 990 Pros.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #631 on: February 23, 2019, 11:43:41 PM »
Well I caved and had to listen to the album via youtube, through my phone, through my car speakers while driving around so I could hear it in decent quality and...

holy shit. It's safe to say this is the best album since ADTOE (my favorite) but this may be their best album since, I don't know, I don't really rank albums but let's just say this is fresh, creative, rocking, melodic, and a full band effort.  Possibly the biggest band effort in their whole catalog. Definitely a top 5 album for me.

Offline H2

« Reply #632 on: February 23, 2019, 11:45:35 PM »
At first, I'll admit, I wasn't sure I would like this album. I thought TA was brilliant and one of DT's strongest releases in a while, and a large part of that was due to its strong musical themes and the fact it was an epic concept album, which is where DT is known to shine. Looking at the tracklist and song lengths, I saw that DOT was not a concept album and had no epics. I was a little worried they'd release another album of the caliber of, say, DT12. (No offense to anyone who is a DT12 fan, I just thought it was the weakest release since possibly Octavarium or FII.) I absorbed the singles as they were released and felt somewhat disappointed, particularly by "Untethered Angel" and "Paralyzed." ("Fall into the Light" at least had that nice atmospheric build-up section.)

I just listened to the entire album the whole way through while doing some chores, and the scales have fallen from my eyes! I think this is a original, fun album that breaks away from the standard DT album formula with something truly fresh. It's not SFAM or TA, but it doesn't seem fair to compare it to those albums. It's a different kind of DT project that we aren't used to seeing and should be judged on how well it accomplishes its own creative task. I think DOT is what DT12 tried to be: a collection of short, lively songs that represents what Dream Theater is all about in a concise, punctuated fashion. And the album accomplishes this task so effectively. I found myself involuntarily dancing and popping around while I was doing my chores listening to this thing.

But who knows, it's only one listen. I'm eager to run through it again tomorrow. Anyway, anyone seeing DT in Nashville in April that wants to meet up?

Offline LTE777

« Reply #633 on: February 24, 2019, 12:52:03 AM »
At Wits End:

Does anyone get a WDADU vibe from 2:07 - 2:34  &  FII 2:47 - 3:04? This is one of the best songs they have ever written IMO but everyone will have their own favourites.

Can anyone else hear the weird tapping at 5:57 to 6:02 (turn it up and you will hear it, sounds like a hollow tapping)???? I thought it was originally the click-track coming through JP's pickups when he was recording his solo but when I listened to the instrumental version its not there so I think maybe JLBs reverb/echo on vocal overdubs have picked up something weird? I cant hear it on the spotify or youtube version buts there on the cd, dvd, and bluray versions but not in the instrumental so I think it may be part of the vocal echo or the way its mixed? 

Its driving me crazy so can someone please explain/clear this up this for me!!!
Can you give more details? What is the frequency? Which kind of tapping does it sound like? The only beats I hear appear to be from the drums.

Not sure about the frequency but when James says "warped inside never ending tide.....") there is about 2 beats then are about 6-8 taps or knocks that sound like a click track reverb (maybe James's click track?) that start at 5:57 and finish at 6:02.

Is it on the instrumental version?

No definitely not on the instrumental version that's why I ruled out click track through pickups.  I'm surprised no one else can hear it, I showed my wife who didn't hear it but after a few listens she did.  I cant hear it through spotify but thats probably because of the poor sample rate.  I beleive the instrumental CD was remixed which leads me to believe its a processing effect through JLBs vocals.

Just tried twice. Couldn't hear it on the first attempt, clear as anything on the second once my ears had acclimatised. Almost sounds like someone tapping on a hollow piece of wood. Listening to the CD rip on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT(!) 990 Pros.

I thought I was going crazy.  So the question is, if the sound isn't present in the instrumental version, what the hell is it? Its either the click track through the pickups, a "compounding" knock that replicates itself on the vocal echo/reverb or its Mike Mangini hitting some type of drum or shaker/tube/wooden instrument.  Weird, its all I hear now (the reason I think its a click track is because when I record, mine sounds exactly the same and my guitar has picked it up before when recording)

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #634 on: February 24, 2019, 01:56:12 AM »
I think the only thing I have to say against the album is that the song order could have been better, it shows how good it is!
Awe is the album closer to me
Pbd could have been the opener
Viper king is so great I want it 3 times on the album :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #635 on: February 24, 2019, 02:37:00 AM »

Yep, it's the only gripe I have with the album : AWE could have been the closer, aptly because the last words are "Don't leave me now" and the fading is a gorgeous way to end the album (even if there's the little in-studio reprise at the end).
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #636 on: February 24, 2019, 03:02:38 AM »
I also love DT's song order throughout their career. It's been clever but this album fails for that matter. Excluding Viper King since it's a bonus track Pale Blue Dot doesn't give me the closer vibe. This song has its own issue about being ended. It feels so uncompleted.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #637 on: February 24, 2019, 03:24:29 AM »
I have been on the fence with DT basically since Portnoy left, but I really enjoy this. Great album!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: February 24, 2019, 03:32:49 AM »
holy shit. It's safe to say this is the best album since ADTOE (my favorite) but this may be their best album since, I don't know, I don't really rank albums but let's just say this is fresh, creative, rocking, melodic, and a full band effort.  Possibly the biggest band effort in their whole catalog. Definitely a top 5 album for me.

ADTOE is my second favorite after SFAM, but I share your sentiment.
One thing is album does that I sorely missed on ADTOE was that cool lyrical change-up for the final chorus. Almost every song on this album has some wording changes for the final chorus, something that's been missing from ADTOE & the self-titled.
A prime example of a song that sorely missed that gimmick is Bridges in The Sky, it paints a picture and takes you on this wonderful journey for the first and second verses and the choruses then after the instrumental section the same chorus comes back with no resolve to the journey. It needed a change in the "At last the time has come" part which worked so perfectly the first time but lands flat when repeated in the conclusion. 
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #639 on: February 24, 2019, 03:39:53 AM »
About the album cover, I didn't like it at first but it looks cool on the actual cd packaging.  Does anyone know how the cover ties in with the theme of the album or what song it may come closest to?

I think the skull would look really cool if it was glowing green from radio active fallout, with the robots left over to run the world.   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: February 24, 2019, 03:46:32 AM »
I've been thinking about that and getting no where, but then again there's still a couple of songs that I don't fully understand their subject. Namely At Paralyzed, Wit's End, S2N and Fall into The Light.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #641 on: February 24, 2019, 04:04:03 AM »
I've been thinking about that and getting no where, but then again there's still a couple of songs that I don't fully understand their subject. Namely At Paralyzed, Wit's End, S2N and Fall into The Light.

If I remember correctly, John confirmed that S2N is about the idea of not losing yourself (the "signal") in the chaos of the world (the "noise"), while James confirmed that Wit's End is about an abusive relationship & its damaging effects on the woman being abused.

I don't quite remember if they said what Paralyzed & Fall Into The Light were about though.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: February 24, 2019, 04:13:41 AM »
I just finished my first listen to this album.  Well, up to Out of Reach was in the car, the rest on my PC.  Even though it was only a single listen, I was actually very impressed.  I had ZERO expectations for this and the first three songs didn't rock me.  The opener works very well actually and I like it more now I have the album.

Paralyzed sounds fucking great and heavy in the car, that's a solid tune.  Fall Into the Light I just don't get.  The structure is all over the place and the song itself seems very incohesive.  Maybe more listens will fix that.  The first minute is killer.  Barstool Warrior I liked too.  Has that Rush feel DT like to go for and even sounded a bit old school DT at times to me.  Room 137 is weird and original as fuck.  Can't remember much from it yet but kudos for the band doing something different.

S2N might be my fav on first listen.  Heavy, great melodic chorus, JP putting in one amazing solo and really just the band killing it on all fronts.  Love this one.  TDEN ending made me laugh, but I dig it.  At Wit's End is also probably going to be a fav.  Can't remember much, but the ending is brilliant.  Out of Reach seems like a great ballad with a nice structure.  Pale Blue Dot seems to deliver the goods but I need to crank this one in the car.  Viper King made me laugh, thank fuck this is a bonus track.  I'm kind of wishing I got the standard edition without this song.

I'll listen to this one a bit.  The Astonishing was one of the biggest pieces of shit that one of my favourite bands has dished up and I almost disowned DT because of it.  It still hurts.  Having no expectations for this one will help but this is a heavy ass fucking cool album.  You know what it seems like that I like?  It's the band doing whatever they feel and not doing music that people expect.  Nothing over 10 minutes, no endless Outcry style wanking, no piano based puke inducing ballads, original pieces and just doing things a bit different.  Not following any structures or stereotypes here and the band just being creative without limits. 

I could be wrong also, but I think At Wit's End and Pale Blue Dot should swap places, seems obvious.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #643 on: February 24, 2019, 04:54:50 AM »
Just dropping by to say I’m loving this album! Probably the best post-Portnoy album in my possibly unpopular opinion.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #644 on: February 24, 2019, 05:01:08 AM »
The part at 4:39 in Fall Into the Light, during the slow break, when the guitar kicks in reprising in an heavier way the mellow theme of the section  :metal

Everyone live should sing along to this!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #645 on: February 24, 2019, 05:15:46 AM »
Just dropping by to say I’m loving this album! Probably the best post-Portnoy album in my possibly unpopular opinion.

My gut feeling tells me that this seems to be the prevailing consensus among the fanbase now. :D

I listened to the album some more, and Pale Blue Dot is slowly starting to sink in. I like it now, though it still remains among my least favorites from the album. I'm also warming up to Untethered Angel, and it's nowhere near as bad as I first thought.

The songwriting has taken such a massive leap forward on this album! They should do the "DT-bootcamp" writing/recording sessions for future albums as well, if the results are this good!

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #646 on: February 24, 2019, 05:16:30 AM »
Pale Blue Dot sounds like the band just took all the noodling from the individual songs and shoved it all into the album closer.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #647 on: February 24, 2019, 05:24:59 AM »
Pale Blue Dot sounds like the band just took all the noodling from the individual songs and shoved it all into the album closer.

I have a hard time disliking the song because Carl Sagan.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #648 on: February 24, 2019, 05:31:18 AM »
Okay, this album is really growing on me now. Originally I thought "well that was good, but maybe I overhyped myself a little", but now just two days later & I fuckin' love this thing. :metal

(re: PBD discussion) I enjoy Pale Blue Dot as a song, but I'm finding it's the one track that I can never remember what it sounds like unless I'm actually listening to it. Maybe it's because it's unmemorable, but I wouldn't be surprised if I found out it was just because all the shredding & solos needed more time to sink in. :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #649 on: February 24, 2019, 05:50:42 AM »
Pale Blue Dot to me has echoes of Outcry, from the beginning using a similar chord progression, to the insane instrumental break in the middle.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: February 24, 2019, 05:52:35 AM »
I think Pale Blue Dot is great, I love the chaotic structure of it.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #651 on: February 24, 2019, 05:53:25 AM »
I think the only thing I have to say against the album is that the song order could have been better, it shows how good it is!
Viper king is so great I want it 3 times on the album :D

Yeah reminds me of Awake in that the first 3 songs are underwhelming. Well, that doesn’t sound right - I just mean not starting with the strongest songs.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #652 on: February 24, 2019, 06:14:40 AM »
I've had a good few days to spend listening to this album, and I'm really enjoying it. When I first listened to it as a whole, I thought "ok, this will take some getting used to". Room 137 didn't overly excite me, and there seemed to be a few areas which were all over the place. Now, after only a few days, I think it's excellent. AWE is brilliant, as is BW and OOR is beautiful (again, would've loved that insane chorus one more time!). FITL I still love, ditto for paralysed, but I'm a little different to others and really clicking with PBD. I really think the issue with this one, was as someone already mentioned - the subject matter and knowledge of the song length and album closer, had people having certain expectations. Now we can listen to it and know what to expect, I think it will really grow in time for many. Very, very solid album  :metal

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #653 on: February 24, 2019, 06:24:21 AM »
Just got back last night from a week away. Finally, decent Wi-fi! Anyway, I’m really really enjoying the new album. It feels fresh and vibrant. The approach to the writing and recording progress has really paid off.

The production is fantastic. Every instrument is clear, and the drums sound massive. It feels as if you’re sitting in the middle of MM’s kit. Lots of cymbals and hi-hats that were previously getting buried in the mix.

To me, AWE is a thing of brilliance. The intro is chaotic and ferocious along with the pre-verse riff. The chorus is just wonderful, and that melodic solo outro is just pure magic. I must have heard it about 10 times now, and each time it brings a lump to the throat. What a big baby I am, but this in a nutshell is why DT is my favourite band: it’s the balance of aggression, technical virtuosity, but still having the ability to connect at the fundamental, emotional level.

Bravo DT, I take my hat off to you.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #654 on: February 24, 2019, 06:39:52 AM »
Just got back last night from a week away. Finally, decent Wi-fi! Anyway, I’m really really enjoying the new album. It feels fresh and vibrant. The approach to the writing and recording progress has really paid off.

The production is fantastic. Every instrument is clear, and the drums sound massive. It feels as if you’re sitting in the middle of MM’s kit. Lots of cymbals and hi-hats that were previously getting buried in the mix.

To me, AWE is a thing of brilliance. The intro is chaotic and ferocious along with the pre-verse riff. The chorus is just wonderful, and that melodic solo outro is just pure magic. I must have heard it about 10 times now, and each time it brings a lump to the throat. What a big baby I am, but this in a nutshell is why DT is my favourite band: it’s the balance of aggression, technical virtuosity, but still having the ability to connect at the fundamental, emotional level.

Bravo DT, I take my hat off to you.

Exactly my thoughts in a nutshell. Thanks for reading my mind. :biggrin: I personally crack up at the mellow section in FITL : the keyboard melody just after the clean guitar gets me everytime. Geez…

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #655 on: February 24, 2019, 06:51:54 AM »
Yeah reminds me of Awake in that the first 3 songs are underwhelming. Well, that doesn’t sound right

It certainly does to me. I used to start playthroughs of Awake with track 4 for years, never really warmed to the first three tracks.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #656 on: February 24, 2019, 07:04:47 AM »
The part at 4:39 in Fall Into the Light, during the slow break, when the guitar kicks in reprising in an heavier way the mellow theme of the section  :metal

Everyone live should sing along to this!!!
  One of my favorite moments on the album!  So melodic and powerful.

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Rushfreek

« Reply #657 on: February 24, 2019, 07:13:23 AM »
Mike, for me personally, this is THE best Dream Theater album in decade's. The whole album does have a new vibe, but a much needed one. I can honestly say that there are no songs which will be put on the back burner, I have listened for two solid days, and every song on the album gives me something new to hook onto every time I hear it.
It is plain to see that the writing process and recording in "The Barn" was an inspired choice, and JP has created a masterful mix.
Being a fellow percussionist, I totally refute what some have said about the drums having no soul or being machine like. Total BS...you bring a nuance to the time changing that is truly breathtaking. The sound and levels are on point so much that when turned up to number 11, the sound is that of if the band were playing for me in my house. So how can that be bad. It's not, it's just frickin amazing...
So thank you all for your hard work, dedication, talent and professionalism in producing a body of music to be truly proud of.
See you in the UK at Download and hopefully a tour later in the year.
Love & Peace... :)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #658 on: February 24, 2019, 07:19:00 AM »
After the third listening I'm getting more and more used to the songs.... but I'm afraid my initial impressions about the lack of choruses will stick. Fall into the Light, Barstool Warrior and Room 137's sections which are meant to be choruses feel like bridges to me.

Not every song template has to be the same, but look for comparison at Bridges the Sky - first verse, then the "Sun, come shine my way" part.... second verse, again the "Sun, come shine my way part", and then we climax into the majestic "And at last the time has come" part, which elevates the song even more. When does this happen on Fall into the Light for example? the "Sun, come shine my way" part is quite good, but come on, the "And last the time has come" section is even better, and the song is way better with this part. Maybe with time I'll get used to the new songs, but in the three I mentioned I think a proper chorus is lacking and it's a pity 'cause Fall into the Light and especially Barstool Warrior are so great.

And I agree that expectations for Pale Blue Dot were insanely high - the subject matter for me would have been more worthy of the music for Illumination Theory, especially the big ending.

All of this probably makes it sound like I don't like the album, but it's quite the opposite - as said previously, I like basically everything about the approach, the writing and recording process, the collaborative effort, the fact that it's heavy without the mindless wanking (and even when it happens it's to the point and never derails the song), the general appreciation of it all is what probably make the lackluster choruses stand out way more.

But hey, maybe after a week or so I'll eat my words, the nice thing about music is that you don't have a deadline for definite and final opinions  ;D (I hope so at least...)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #659 on: February 24, 2019, 07:25:53 AM »
Of course, one of my favorites from the album is the one thats about least liked.

Pale Blue Dot is amazing and a perfect closer for the album. Not all closers need to be epic. I mean that intro and instrumental section is worth the song. Even the rest is good.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bill1971

« Reply #660 on: February 24, 2019, 07:32:58 AM »
Really enjoy Barstool Warrior but didn't get how it was people's favorite until I was listening to the album for the fourth time and it clicked. Now I have it stuck in my head ever since.

My personal favorite is probably Pale Blue Dot. Absolutely love Paralyzed too. The whole damn album is so amazing, even Owen Wilson.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #661 on: February 24, 2019, 07:34:57 AM »
I know I've stated this in my earlier opinion(s) about the album....but with a solid 15 or so listens under my belt now I'll say it again.....I love how they've 'trimmed the fat' from these songs and how there are no wasted notes or no sections of massive over playing. Everything we hear is well thought out and crafted...intentional and dare I say 'perfect' for that particular song.

On the first listen or two you get the impression that JP's solo's are pretty subdued compared to past efforts....then you get a few good listens in and realize his solos are still massively complex...they're just distilled to the most powerful way he can present them to us. These are some of the most beautiful and technical solos he's produced.

MM is unreal on this album as well and I love the fact that if you so desired you can hone in on JMX and actually hear everything he's playing.

Oh and....'Out of Reach' is already a top three DT ballad for me. (I'm not a ballad person)
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #662 on: February 24, 2019, 07:39:27 AM »
I love the fact that if you so desired you can hone in on JMX and actually hear everything he's playing.

YES!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #663 on: February 24, 2019, 08:00:21 AM »
It's a peaceful, cold, sunny Sunday afternoon and I am cranking up D/T for umpteenth time - a perfect ambiance backdrop for the album. :) Still as fascinating and packing a punch as the first time I gave it a spin.

Feels so good to have witnessed the release of a DT album that got such widespread, if not universal, praise. After so many years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #664 on: February 24, 2019, 08:21:13 AM »

The songwriting has taken such a massive leap forward on this album! They should do the "DT-bootcamp" writing/recording sessions for future albums as well, if the results are this good!

While I agree that the way they got together and wrote this album was great and should be repeated, I don't agree that the songwriting took a massive leap forward, because the songwriting was mostly excellent on the last album.  I doubt Distance Over Time will top The Astonishing for me, but it's a worthy follow-up.  :tup :tup