Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 187379 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2019, 09:16:11 AM »
iTunes downloads are coming in!

BARSTOOL WARRIOR

Wow, that Rush-like intro. I thought this would be a heavy album? ;)

So this is the snippet they showed of Mangini recording drums. I thought it was leading to keys but instead to a beautiful guitar lead. Love JM's tone!

OMG! Possibly the most beautiful DT chorus melody I have heard!

Piano break. Myung doing something I haven't heard before, accenting like uhm...John Deacon?

Beautiful guitar solo. Full of emotions.

The vocal melody transitions going to the end is putting a smile on my face.

What a beautiful song. A Peak DT song. Thank you guys.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2019, 09:19:48 AM »

Sam, you mentioned emotion. I found it in spades all over ADTOE. I'm surprised you don't like that more.

I did at first, but it didn't have a lot of staying power with me. And it also didn't hit me AS hard as this one (DoT) did.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline genome

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2019, 09:20:03 AM »
Best album since Six Degrees. Two of the tracks made me well up with emotion and that NEVER happens.

You guys are gonna be chuffed with it.

Which tracks?

Also, I don't think there's a single album where I didn't well up with emotion at least once

Barstool Warrior (there's a bit towards the end where it reprises the chorus chords with a different vocal melody, it is proper goosebump territory), and At Wit's End (the solo outro)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2019, 09:23:04 AM »
ROOM 137

I guess Mangini is now in charge of bringing the heavy with this and Paralyzed?  :lol

Playing triplets in a 7/4 time signature... 3 and 7? Where's the 1? :p

Polyrhythm quarter note hits on the China cymbals at 4/4 over the 7/4 beat? So that's the 1? 1 3 7? LOL, I think I am ovethinking this.

So that's the Beatles section, I did not expect that.

HIDDEN BY DESIGN? Did I hear it right?

Guitar solo took a playful turn, with Myung playing along. :D

The second Beatles section! Myung doing a Sir Paul!  :lol

Another Peak DT song! Now this is something different!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2019, 09:25:35 AM »
Can't wait to hear this, getting pumped hearing all your reactions guys!  :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2019, 09:27:35 AM »
and At Wit's End (the solo outro)

This one got to me. That was the JP I had been waiting for, for a long time now. Since SFAM, or for me even more, FII. There was that soulful guitar.

I'd also like to say I am VERY impressed by Ben Grosse's mix on this. I've always been a fan, but I was curious how he would mix Dream Theater. He nailed it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2019, 09:29:25 AM »
S2N

OK, my jaw is officially dropping. Myung and Mangini are amazing!

Mangini doing lots of hi-hat work and playing with the snare, more than the past three albums combined.  :lol

Damn it, that chorus is addictive.

Killer JP solo.

Fake ending? I haven't heard that before!

JR brings it in the outro! Like a much improved version of the TDEN outro.

My favorite D/T song so far. Peak DT song again!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2019, 09:31:15 AM »
It's too much of an hassle, but I would love as well to write down on the fly my very first impressions like you're doing, and going back to it months later once the album will be known inside out!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2019, 09:38:02 AM »
AT WIT'S END

HAHAHA! JP doing a fast riff over a chill JR, MM, and JM.

OK, I heard this groove before in BAI.

"Don't leave me now, don't leave me now!"

Oh, wow, that pre-chorus. "Deafening! Deafening! Shut it out! Shut it out!" Beautiful.

That transition from aggressive solos to solemn piano. The transitions in this song are flawless.

Nice guitar, bass and drum groove under the piano.

WTF, Mangini with the weird hi-hat pattern. Clap clap clap

DAMN IT WHY AM I TEARING UP? WHAT AN EMOTIONAL ENDING! Wow, like The Spirit Carries On outro! The feels!

Peak DT song again. This album is crazy!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:47:32 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline rab7

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
It's too much of an hassle, but I would love as well to write down on the fly my very first impressions like you're doing, and going back to it months later once the album will be known inside out!  :metal

I did that for The Astonishing, and I don't think I ever looked at it again  :laugh:

It's somewhere in my work desk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »
ROOM 137

Playing triplets in a 7/4 time signature... 3 and 7? Where's the 1? :p

Polyrhythm quarter note hits on the China cymbals at 4/4 over the 7/4 beat? So that's the 1? 1 3 7? LOL, I think I am ovethinking this.

I think you probably are overthinking it.  :lol  But those are great finds nonetheless!  :tup

I'd also like to say I am VERY impressed by Ben Grosse's mix on this. I've always been a fan, but I was curious how he would mix Dream Theater. He nailed it.

Except for the cymbals.  That is the one thing I don't care for.  With the exception of the ride, which cuts through nicely (and the hi-hats at times), the cymbal work just doesn't stand out and gets lost, which is a bit disappointing. 

But other than that, I agree about the mix.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2019, 09:42:03 AM »

I did that for The Astonishing, and I don't think I ever looked at it again  :laugh:

It's somewhere in my work desk

I've actually done this for every album back to Octavarium. Makes for good reading years later. On the downside, it sort of gets in the way of a decent first listen because I'm too busy typing!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2019, 09:43:24 AM »
At Wit's End

Oh, wow, that pre-chorus. "Deafening! Deafening! Shut it out! Shut it out!" Beautiful.

That transition from aggressive solos to solemn piano. The transitions in this song are flawless.

DAMN IT WHY AM I TEARING UP? WHAT AN EMOTIONAL ENDING! Wow, like The Spirit Carries On outro! The feels!

YES, YES, YES! on all counts.  I love this song.  Although, for me, it took a few listens for it to sink in.  I really hope they play this live.  But I suspect it could be one that doesn't make the cut. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2019, 09:46:34 AM »
OUT OF REACH

Beautiful piano and guitar.

A Dream Theater love song?

Nice, Myung not just hitting the root notes even if it's a ballad.

Mangini's cheating. This is just like how he drummed Smashed in JLB's Elements of Persuasion.  :lol

So far, JLB is the album's champion for lyrics writing. Beautiful DT ballad.

Offline genome

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2019, 09:47:01 AM »
At Wit's End

YES, YES, YES! on all counts.  I love this song.  Although, for me, it took a few listens for it to sink in.  I really hope they play this live.  But I suspect it could be one that doesn't make the cut.

I thought it could be a decent shot for set closer. It's not too long (don't think they'd be able to fit an epic in if they're playing SFAM), and that solo would make a brilliant climax to the gig.

Or, maybe it could even close the first set. I can see them taking a break from BAI.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2019, 09:47:56 AM »
Ermaghhaaad I need this album now. Super pumped for tomorrow.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2019, 09:48:03 AM »
A Dream Theater love song?

Well...yes, but a twisted one.  Pay attention to the lyrics.  :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2019, 09:51:43 AM »
Five more hours until it's on Spotify in my time zone! I'm gonna stay up late tonight. :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »
At Wit's End

I thought it could be a decent shot for set closer. It's not too long (don't think they'd be able to fit an epic in if they're playing SFAM), and that solo would make a brilliant climax to the gig.

Or, maybe it could even close the first set. I can see them taking a break from BAI.

Well, here's my thinking:  Assuming they don't play the entire album (other than Viper King), I think there are obvious reasons why other songs get played ahead of At Wit's End.  The three promo singles are likely to get played because they are the three promo singles.  Barstool Warrior probably makes the cut because the band seems fond of that one, and it is the one sort of "classic prog rock" track on the album.  I think Room 137 makes the cut because Mangini and James are REALLY fond of that one.  I think Out of Reach is likely as the one "ballad."  JP and MM love Pale Blue Dot (and I suspect Jordan does too), and I think it is likely to get good audience reaction.  So that leaves S2N and At Wit's End as the two that are perhaps most likely to be omitted this time around unless they play more than 7 songs from the new one.  This is by no means conclusive (I haven't seen the set list, and I do not intend to before the show).  But just my best guesses based on the info we have from interviews and such.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2019, 09:53:56 AM »

Well, here's my thinking:  Assuming they don't play the entire album (other than Viper King), I think there are obvious reasons why other songs get played ahead of At Wit's End.  The three promo singles are likely to get played because they are the three promo singles.  Barstool Warrior probably makes the cut because the band seems fond of that one, and it is the one sort of "classic prog rock" track on the album.  I think Room 137 makes the cut because Mangini and James are REALLY fond of that one.  I think Out of Reach is likely as the one "ballad."  JP and MM love Pale Blue Dot (and I suspect Jordan does too), and I think it is likely to get good audience reaction.  So that leaves S2N and At Wit's End as the two that are perhaps most likely to be omitted this time around unless they play more than 7 songs from the new one.  This is by no means conclusive (I haven't seen the set list, and I do not intend to before the show).  But just my best guesses based on the info we have from interviews and such.

Ugh..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline genome

« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2019, 09:55:21 AM »
At Wit's End

Wonder if they'll do some setlist rotation? It seems the only way to fit in D/T, SFAM and tracks from other albums!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2019, 09:56:08 AM »
Yeah, could be.  But if they do, and I miss At Wit's End because it is rotated out at my show, I'll be even more upset than if it isn't in the tour rotation at all.  :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2019, 09:56:21 AM »
PALE BLUE DOT

One minute of space sound. I feel cheated! :lol

Mangini, WTF? Yes, you have fast hands, stop showing off.

Djent Theater?  :lol Feels like JP is following Mangini and not the other way around.

Star Wars feel with the keys! :p

Chorus not that catchy. Sounds like a typical JP-written chorus.

Now that instrumental is crazy. It's like DT trying to write a song with vocals around The Dance of Eternity.

Not really my cup of tea (I don't like TDOE) but I get why some progheads are impressed with this one.

Hmmm...a bit of a letdown compared to the awesomeness of the previous songs in that almost all these songs leveled up in their outros. This one peaked with the instrumental section.

Offline genome

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2019, 09:57:42 AM »
Yeah, could be.  But if they do, and I miss At Wit's End because it is rotated out at my show, I'll be even more upset than if it isn't in the tour rotation at all.  :lol

The only prescription is... more cowbell multiple shows.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2019, 09:59:08 AM »
PALE BLUE DOT

Djent Theater?  :lol Feels like JP is following Mangini and not the other way around.

Now that instrumental is crazy. It's like DT trying to write a song with vocals around The Dance of Eternity.

Not really my cup of tea (I don't like TDOE) but I get why some progheads are impressed with this one.

Hmmm...a bit of a letdown compared to the awesomeness of the previous songs in that almost all these songs leveled up in their outros. This one peaked with the instrumental section.

I hope this won't be my reaction... I dearly and fondly love the subject matter and I hope the song is equally as beuatiful as the speech that inspired it!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2019, 09:59:24 AM »
Best DT record since SFAM, at least for me.

Pretty much echoing your sentiments! The best since SFaM (or at least SDOiT) –  for me certainly. And I realize this is a bold statement that may have been voiced on some previous occasions, but I feel it really rings true this time.

But before I get to the gist of things - hello everyone! Great to be here on DTF, where I lurked for years but was never prompted to partake – until now. What enticed me to join just now is pure excitement of what we got with Distance Over Time.

Though I am new to these neck of the internet woods, I am by no means a DT newbie – I started listening to the band in late 2003 and in fact my first album was the freshly released Train of Thought. And even though I hold that album in relatively high regard due to sheer sentimental reasons, my favorite records are SfaM and IaW. I am leaning more towards a prog-side of things than heaviness when it comes to DT music (although I do not refrain from heavy, quite the contrary! It's just that I prefer certain kind of heaviness to that kind which became prevalent in latter stage of their career)

And that is exactly why I decided to join just now – in order to get off my chest how awesome I think Distance Over Time is and how it rekindled my passion for this band.

(And the funny thing is I wasn't even that convinced by the three singles that preceded it, though two of them grew on me quite a bit)

Though I should say that I am belonging to that rather underpopulated camp of The Astonishing aficionados – I have a thing for conceptual, operatic pieces and TA was such a breath of fresh air for me, albeit marred by some excessive material. Still, there's at least 55 minutes of top-notch DT music there which was much more than what we used to get per album since Scenes (just a side note that I loathe SC and BC&SL – needed to get that off my chest too).

About DoT: the four-song run of Barstool Warrior/Room 137/SN2/At Wit's End is UNREAL. Vintage DT – think the missing piece between IaW and Awake, or between Awake and FII – that's how these songs sound. They're energetic, fresh, LOADS of fun and for some reason, when listening for the first few times (each time with a huge grin on my face and a feeling of euphoria I haven't felt for DT in a long while) I couldn't memorize any of the musical parts clearly – and then it hit me why:

There is so much going on in those 4-6 minutes of each of these songs' (except AWE which clocks at more than 9 minutes and is packed with ear candy – such a fitting acronym for this song, btw) that it's just ridiculous. Level of variety and diversity that we didn't for quite some time. AWE is, alongside BAI, the best Mangini-era song for me and one of DT's finest moment - a perfect song all throughout, not a second wasted - as is Barstool Warrior.

Out of Reach is a very lovely ballad. I am not big on ballads myself, but this one I don't mind at all, in fact it is akin of some of their more successful ventures of this ilk, a la Through Her Eyes and Anna Lee. Pale Blue Dot is terrific and just as engaging – although it does seem to miss that X factor that makes it an instant jaw-dropper like the aforementioned four songs that are a highlight for me.

Oh, and – the sound of the record, the production, the mix – is absolutely out of this world. Petrucci's guitar leads have never sounded better, Myung is on absolute fire (finally!), Rudess is measured and collected throughout, Mangini shos off some proper tricks and got his sound right and La Brie does some super interesting things with his vocals and sings great throughout (it seems like he's singing in a range that's more comfortable for him now and as a result he just sounds right).

As a band rejuvenated, that's how this album sounds.

So yeah – nice to be here and SO nice to have DT at the top of their powers back!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:20:23 AM by CirclesSquared »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2019, 09:59:48 AM »

It wouldn't matter at that point. If At Wit's End isn't played in Boston, but is played in "wherever" the following night, I'll be pissed.

This was my problem with them devoting so much of the evening to Scenes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2019, 10:00:34 AM »
I think it's possible they'll return to the A and B setlist. They'll play the three promo songs for sure, and probably Barstool Warrior and rotate the other ones? I have a feeling AWE or PBD will be closing the first set or maybe be (part of) the encore.

Offline genome

« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2019, 10:01:30 AM »
PALE BLUE DOT

I hope this won't be my reaction... I dearly and fondly love the subject matter and I hope the song is equally as beuatiful as the speech that inspired it!

Give it a few listens, there's so much going on in that track. It's not really a beautiful track though. It's actually got a bit of a sinister vibe to it.

The instrumental section is mind-boggling.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »

But before I get to the gist of things - hello everyone! Great to be here on DTF, where I lurked for years but was never prompted to partake – until now.

Welcome!

Offline pfillion

« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2019, 10:04:18 AM »
I know that some of you will probably say that I'm crazy, but I think that Distance Over Time is my favorite DT album since SFAM.  :hefdaddy

And I'm dead serious guys, to me DOT is even better than Train Of Thought and Six Degrees.

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2019, 10:04:54 AM »
At Wit's End

A belter of a song. 9:20 and not a nanosecond wasted, extremely diverse and yet coherent. Vintage Dream Theater.

@TAC: Thank you, nice to be here!

@pfillion: I actually trust you as I feel the same way.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2019, 10:07:56 AM »
VIPER KING

HAHAHAHAHA! Is JR trolling Derek with his keys in this song?  :lol

This is a FUN song!

DT can come out with a full album in this style and put Sons of Apollo out of business.  :rollin

Good JP solo, but I think JR is the one that really enjoyed this "bonus track."

The unison with JM!

------

Verdict: This is my favorite DT album. It's not even an exaggeration. The self-titled was my second fav DT album for a long time, just behind Awake, because I like it when DT does not overdo their noodling, and D/T  is notches over the self-titled (and even Awake). That run from Barstool Warrior to At Wit's End is especially amazing. And I may be overthinking this again, but those four songs clearly showed the different personalities of the lyric-writers who I assume are the lead composers in their respective songs. This really feels so much like a group effort.

I am happy.

Song rankings for me

S2N
At Wit's End
Room 137
Barstool Warrior
Out of Reach
Viper King
Pale Blue Dot
Paralyzed
Fall into the Light
Untethered ANgel

Offline rab7

« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2019, 10:12:43 AM »

Verdict: This is my favorite DT album. It's not even an exaggeration. The self-titled was my second fav DT album for a long time, just behind Awake, because I like it when DT does not overdo their noodling, and D/T  is notches over the self-titled (and even Awake). That run from Barstool Warrior to At Wit's End is especially amazing. And I may be overthinking this again, but those four songs clearly showed the different personalities of the lyric-writers who I assume are the lead composers in their respective songs. This really feels so much like a group effort.

I am happy.

Song rankings for me

S2N
At Wit's End
Room 137
Barstool Warrior
Out of Reach
Viper King
Pale Blue Dot
Paralyzed
Fall into the Light
Untethered ANgel

Wow, all this after one listen? Usually I don't let myself make such opinions until after I've had time to digest everything.

You're in the Philippines, right? I need to let my cousins know, if the link to spotify is already active

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »
The link to Spotify is already active.

Just listen to that four-song run and you will be blown away.